iPhone Multiplayer Tutorial

April 21, 2010 in Demos, Tutorials and Tips by

Hey guys! Take a look at this one – a new tutorial to showcase the new multiplayer  options in Unity iPhone & iPad.

iPad StarTrooper

It’s a demo that we created for the iPhone/iPod with Unity iPhone 1.6, but it magically just works on the iPad as well. We call it Unity magic =)

The steps to make this happen are simple:

1. Download the Multiplayer Star Trooper project.
  2. Enjoy it on some weird configurations, like two Macs and three iPads connected simultaneously.
  3. Stay inspired, imagine a concept of your new multiplayer game.
  4. Download our step-by-step multiplayer tutorial.
  5. Follow the tutorial, make a perfect game, check the win.

Some would say that networking cannot be easy or that connecting devices via cellular networks is an epic pain, and those people would be completely right. Nevertheless, we have put all our experience into the multiplayer tutorial in order for you to get booted up quickly.

iPad StarTrooper Screenshot

Can you see the screenshot of StarTrooper Multiplayer on iPad? The next step is for you to share the screenshot of your multiplayer game made cool and multiplayer with Unity. We’ve made that multiplayer networking tutorial for you to be able to do just that. ;-)

Sincerely,
Unity iPhone Team

Geoff
21 Apr 2010, 8:25 pm

This is pretty cool. The iPad/iPhone Scrabble game just go me thinking about what kind of hurdles might be in store for doing a multi-player, multi-device game like that. I can’t wait to dig in and see what you’ve done.
Thanks for doing the leg work!

21 Apr 2010, 9:06 pm

very nintendo ds-esque, but ++

22 Apr 2010, 12:33 am

Time to learn multiplayer! MP was so far away until now. Thank you!

Charly
22 Apr 2010, 12:52 am

Wait a second. Does this means the Apple – Unity problem is solved? why you show us this now if you don’t even know if Unity iPhone will be available anymore? there are lots of people who where about to buy Unity and they have chosen not to because of what happened.

22 Apr 2010, 11:03 am

I can see what you mean Charly, but think of it another way – its an excellent example of what Unity can add to the iPad platform – and proves that Apples view on what makes a quality app is flawed.

Joe
22 Apr 2010, 1:48 pm

I second Charly’s point I’m one of the people holding off until we know.

brian
22 Apr 2010, 1:50 pm

I don’t suppose that’s using game kit from 4.0? Good signs for unity?

Peter D
22 Apr 2010, 2:21 pm

This looks very interesting. Now all we need to know is what the outcome of the meeting between Apple and Unity was or is that still to happen?

Joe
22 Apr 2010, 2:22 pm

That is awesome by the way.

Muckel
22 Apr 2010, 5:42 pm

Thank You Unity iPhone Team !!!
Oleg you make my Day…. these pdf clears up everything very good
WELL DONE !!!

Robert Kent
22 Apr 2010, 7:44 pm

Why do people think Apple’s censorship is okay?

I was about to buy an iPad until the OS 4.0 event. I’ve decided to wait and get Google’s Android pad instead.

I may change my mind if Apple changes its policy on software distribution, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

22 Apr 2010, 9:52 pm

I cannot imagine that there would be NO solution. I can imagine that it might take some time and maybe some sacrifices.

Peter D
22 Apr 2010, 11:36 pm

@Bart

Time and sacrifices (beyond what most indies will already have made) isn’t really a viable option. With the best of intentions no-one is going to wait six months to a year for any company to get an alternate solution up and running. They can easily have written their game in objective-c in that time frame.

tino
23 Apr 2010, 1:40 am

Thing with apple is always confusing, paranoidly protecting their platform almost drove them out of business in the 90′s and I will never forgive microsoft from bailing them out.
Now they are doing it again with iphone, but this time google is here, and (I hope) they will drive them both out of business.
Only reason why technically mediocre platform had such success is number of great apps. By scaring developers away, apple is doing us great favour.
I wish apple fast and painful death and I hope future developers of great apps wont be afraid what next version of terms of services is bringing.
Unity will survive any kind of bull*** from apple and developing with them will always be joyous and great experience(for any kind of platform).

Eric
23 Apr 2010, 4:37 am

Tino – Your a douche.

Apple has record profits, record sales, and people still flocking to the iPhone and now iPad. And surprisingly they don’t want your business advice? Weird.

Technically mediocre platform huh? Who had this kind of success before Apple and it’s mediocre platform? Unity will be fine, even with jackasses like you ranting and raving out your a$$.

Superwaugi
23 Apr 2010, 1:25 pm

As always your work is more than great. But to really enjoy it we need an update on the 4.0 issue.
Please let us know what happened so far between Unity and Apple.
All the best, Superwaugi

tino
23 Apr 2010, 1:25 pm

@Eeric
Yo moma said I was wonderful, and she was complaining what a annoying little fanboy you are.

Daniel Valente
23 Apr 2010, 2:34 pm

awesome! Does anyone knows if I buy unity’s iphone license, have any way to be refund if apple deny Unity in update 4.0? Because right now I’m just waiting the decision from apple to buy the unity’s license :(((

Charly
23 Apr 2010, 8:06 pm

You are losing business unity guys… let us know what is the status please. Update it every day if possible.

Me
23 Apr 2010, 8:18 pm

This is for iPhone Advanced only I assume, correct?

28 Jun 2010, 12:08 pm

There is a bug in the example code at page 8.
Wrong = var SpaceCraft : Transform;
Correct = var Player : Transform;

The ZIP download is correct.

3 Sep 2010, 11:02 pm

I wonder can an iPhone host a multiplayer game like this, or are there limitations with their data network that prevent hosting. I’m actually developing a turn-based iphone game so the load should be light. I only have an iPod touch so am unable to test it.