Pre-Order Unity Android, Get a Google Nexus One!

June 24, 2010 in Unity Products and Services by

android

You’re probably wondering whether you’re reading the title right and for 500 of you, you are! Today we put out a press release offering up some incredibly cool news about Unity and our coming support for Android powered devices. Not only are we now actually pre-selling Unity Android Pro licenses, but we’re going to give a Google Nexus One to the first 500 people to pre-order one! I hope you’re excited about this kind of news (I wish I was eligible!) and so you can start learning more about this offer by reading the full press release:

Unity Technologies Opens Pre-Order of Unity Pro for Android With Sweet Deal

Then stop by our website for even more information, like the terms and conditions of the offer:

And then you’ll hopefully stop by our online store and try to be among the first 500 people in order to get your free Google Nexus One:

Go to the store

As always folks, it’s Unity for the win!

Update as of June 29, 2010
I’m back to provide some updated information on the phones being offered as part of this program.  The first 500 developers that buy Unity Android Pro will receive an unlocked Google Nexus One with Android 2.1 or later installed. The phones will not come with any service plan, those that receive a phone will need to secure a service plan on their own (the phones will be compatible with any GSM carrier worldwide). Please keep in mind that these devices are 3G compatible with all GSM carriers outside of the USA, but within the USA they are 3G compatible only on the T-Mobile network, users on the AT&T network will have EDGE service instead.

Robbson
25 Jun 2010, 12:05 am

Wow, that’s what I call a great deal, at least at first view.
But you need the Pro license first so newcomers which are only interested in the Android platform have to pay another $1200 just for the desktop version they don’t want to use. That’s a deal breaker.
Anyway, I love all the progress on this platform.

25 Jun 2010, 12:49 am

Our product has been this way with the iPhone before and it will be with Android now: you first start by getting a base Unity license (either Unity or Unity Pro), then you can add-on mobile platforms of interest. Those are both in two tiers as well, Unity iPhone and Unity iPhone Pro, or Unity Android and Unity Android Pro. Today’s news is just that we’re now pre-selling the Pro version of Unity Android, but we will have the non-Pro version when shipping. My point, your minimum buy-in for Android dev will be $399, your maximum will be $2998. We think that with our tiered pricing and overall tool capabilities that we’re well worth the expense for those that don’t want to roll their own game engine.

BTW, that $1200 price for Unity Pro is a discounted price, list price is actually $1500.

25 Jun 2010, 1:05 am

just ordered! how about access to unity 3 beta! pleeeeez!

Robbson
25 Jun 2010, 1:07 am

@Tom
You are right, if I would like to start with Android (when non-Pro version gets available) I could combine it with the free version of Unity so I get it for a much lower price, that’s great. Now I understand why the free version is still offered in the shop.

Ok, the current offer is only for pro users so there’s no chance to get the Nexus One in my case. ;-) But I wonder how many orders you already got, the comments here are rather sparsely yet…

25 Jun 2010, 1:26 am

this is really exciting – it says I’m getting a Nexus One! looks like I ordered in time. I can’t wait!

25 Jun 2010, 1:42 am

Hi, it would be nice if the android versions were added to the comparative table of licenses, to be able to weight the differences between android and android pro versions.

omoymenya
25 Jun 2010, 2:10 am

As I understand it, Android is Java based. Will Unity for Android still support all of our C# scripts?

Arthur
25 Jun 2010, 2:35 am

Nice Tom!

Any news about Unity and iPhone TOS?

25 Jun 2010, 5:06 am

Congratulations on this, but I am almost afraid to mention the ‘Elephant in the room’ which is the status of Unity for iOS4.

25 Jun 2010, 7:26 am

@fugalgames: it’s not there just yet but we’ll have a feature comparison chart available prior to shipping that will cover all platforms.

@onoymenya: Unity apps are native apps, not Java-based, you’ll still use you good ol’ C# skills just fine. :)

@Arthur and David: as I understand it we should have a new blog post on iOS 4.0 coming soon that will offer our latest info. I can’t preempt that post so I’ll let it come from David when he posts it.

25 Jun 2010, 10:09 am

Taken! :)

Just woke up and pre-ordered. I hope 500 other ppl didn’t wake up before me…

25 Jun 2010, 5:29 pm

Give me…haa~~

25 Jun 2010, 8:11 pm

Sweet!

This is exactly the kind of mobile development partnership I have been hoping for. It’s great to see that Google recognizes the value of the Unity developer community. Just ordered the license. I hope others do the same and we can get one of the giants to line up behind us… Can’t think of a better way to show our support than putting our own $$ into the mix. Keep up the great work and momentum! Looking forward to the U3 release.

amuseMint
25 Jun 2010, 10:25 pm

Which version of Nexus One?

Compatible with 3G on T-Mobile (U.S.)
Supports three 3G/UMTS bands (900/AWS/2100 MHz) and four GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

Compatible with 3G on AT&T (U.S.) and these wireless providers in Canada.
Supports three 3G/UMTS bands (850/1900/2100 MHz) and four GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

I have ordered. Just curious if we get a choice. I would prefer AT&T version.

25 Jun 2010, 10:34 pm

@Ka Wang Wu: when you went to our online store, if it said “Includes free Google Nexus One.” under the Android Pro option then you purchased in time (I can say that you did as that tag line is still there right now, we’ve not yet hit 500 but sales seem brisk!

@amuseMint: I’m seeking information on that right now, I’ll update everyone with a comment here when I have something to share.

26 Jun 2010, 12:56 am

This is great!

Seriously considering an order, though it will divert funds from the dev computer I am building…

Can we please get a comparison of the Android V Android Pro licenses, or are the limitations the same as on the iPhone platform?

26 Jun 2010, 1:33 am

Very nice job !

One question : why using Vimeo ? Why not YouTube (readable on iPhone/iPad)?

26 Jun 2010, 2:01 am

@Aubrey:we don’t have the full list ready just yet but it will be very similar to the current Unity iPhone comparison chart. We do plan on having it posted prior to release but it’s just not ready yet.

@Christophe: that was a choice made by the demo team and I’m not 100% clear on the exact reasons. If it’s really of interest then I can ask, let me know.

26 Jun 2010, 4:39 pm

Vimeo has some features YouTube lacks, such as an easy way of linking videos together to create a series. YouTube videos tend to be much more standalone. (Vimeo has also historically supported higher quality video streaming, though YouTube is catching up there.) Vimeo is thus quite popular with other developers as a way of hosting tutorials.

And, of course, it means UT don’t have to worry about hosting large video streams themselves.

But it does give an odd impression when a company offering its own video-capable web-browser plugin, and which supports Apple and Google platforms, is using a completely different provider for this stuff. I hope Unity 3′s release will also see UT using it more and more on their own website. A video / tutorial player built in Unity should be pretty bloody impressive.

pixnlove
27 Jun 2010, 9:13 pm

I don’t believe it!
That is too much, out of the blue just like that…
I really love this platform.

1 Jul 2010, 12:45 pm

@taxhon: the plan is to support any Android device with Android 2.0 or later, but I don’t know if anyone has yet to test a Galaxy in particular.

2 Jul 2010, 8:02 pm

And like the Unity fanboys that we are, upgrade order placed.

8 Jul 2010, 1:44 pm

Can’t wait to get my hands on this… there just isn’t enough hours in the day!

@Tom, how long do you expect the phones to take to ship? I’m going on holiday v soon for a month & I dont want it to be sent back to you guys cause i’m away, that really wouldn’t be cool…

8 Jul 2010, 9:21 pm

AFAIK the first round of phones have already gone out to everyone that purchased roughly through the end of last week. After that, we’ll be sending them out in batches each week or so. The expected shipping time is 2-3 days within the US, a day or three more for folks overseas.

14 Jul 2010, 4:32 pm

Phone arrived, you guys are awesome :)

eric
27 Oct 2010, 12:28 pm

bbuuuttt…… (kid voice to teacher)

isn’t android SDK free????????? what difference is with using unity pro to “export” to iphone, and to export to android?

7 Sep 2011, 5:33 am

Could I have , please? pedo pthc cp loli links top
jzxn

7 Sep 2011, 9:38 am

What qualifications have you got? girls underage naked pics
256650