“Fast Mobile Shaders” talk at SIGGRAPH

August 18, 2011 in Demos, Tutorials and Tips, Events, Technology by

Yes! I did a talk at SIGGRAPH!

Ahem.

So yeah, a bunch of us were at SIGGRAPH 2011 in lovely Vancouver, doing talks, meeting people and going to super interesting sessions. Me & ReJ did a long technical session about optimizing graphics for mobile platforms. GPU architectures, shader optimization details, case studies from actual Unity games and so on.

Here it is: Fast Mobile Shaders (17MB pdf).

Enjoy!

18 Aug 2011, 11:04 pm

Awesome Aras, tanks for the Share.
Though, whenever you had the time you guys should provably write a shaderlab book (including why not some vector and matrix maths chapters). ^^
Cheers,

Ahmad
19 Aug 2011, 2:38 pm

Hi Aras,

Great slides. In the slides you make a recommendation to use ETC 1. All my textures for android use the default “Automatic Compressed” and I can see on the texture itself (RGBA Compressed DXT5). Now when I changed the texture type to advanced and select (RGB Compressed ETC 4bit) and apply I see that it is still shown as RGBA Compressed DXT5. Am I doing something wrong? Is this what is meant by ETC 1 in the slides?

19 Aug 2011, 3:35 pm

There was no general recommendation for ETC1. ETC1 is only suitable for textures that have no alpha channel. Maybe your texture has it, or you’ve specifically set Tegra as Android build subtarget? Then DXT is better.

Sobhan
20 Aug 2011, 12:46 am

Wow! Great stuff Aras !

Will be the Work shops and other parts available for download or purchase too ?

20 Aug 2011, 6:39 am

@Sobhan: other SIGGRAPH talks should appear on the blog soon.

Sobhan
20 Aug 2011, 7:51 am

@ Aras : Thanks in advance , but , only talks will be availabe ?? not workshops ?? is there a way to get them ?

i mean will be the portfolio section available too ? or not .

thanks so much and sorry for many questions :D

20 Aug 2011, 8:09 am

@Sobhan: there were only two workshops, and this (fast shaders) was one of them :) I don’t know how Joe Robins did his workshop; whether there were any slides or any non-video material. And I don’t know whether any video material was recorded. If there was some video, it’s likely done by siggraph folks and maybe can be accessed via some siggraph site later (but then it’s totally out of our hands, you should ask someone at siggraph).

22 Aug 2011, 1:24 am

Absolutely outstanding! I was hoping these would see the light of day outside Siggraph. Thanks so much for sharing.

hippocoder
23 Aug 2011, 12:42 pm

Wow wow wow! as a major evangelist for mobile I am deeply impressed with your talk. Please, more! more mobile shaders so we may make unity shine :)

zarch
25 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

Great! Thanks a lot for sharing this awesome material.

One Question: Does Unity technology has any plan for releasing LUT Baking Tools(BRDFLight Receiver) public in the future releases or on Unity3d.com? Is that a property made by madfinger games, or is it made by Unity people?

25 Aug 2011, 1:35 pm

@zarch: Yes.

zarch
25 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

@Aras Nice! Could you tell me when it will be available?