The Global Game Jam 2012

January 25, 2012 in Community, Events

Its that time of year again!

It seems like a lifetime ago that I was attending my very first Global Game Jam back in early 2009.

I doubt I could ever have imagined that in the subsequent years I would be working for the company who’s tools I was using for the 48 hour caffeine sustained chaos.

So its with great joy that I’m happy to announce how we are supporting the Jam this year.

First and foremost we are issuing Unity Pro trials to ALL participants attending the jam. Which include iOS, Android and Asset Server. For more information please contact your local venue organizers who in turn, should be receiving information on how to get access to the trial from the global organizers.

In addition to that we are also supporting a small number of venues around the globe directly. These sponsorships will help keep you guys ticking over with food, drink, electricity, rental of space and all of the other costs included in setting up such a tremendous event.

Before I go I’d just like to wish everyone attending (or those still considering attending) the very best of luck. I’m a huge fan of Game Jams myself so I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with! (and I’m totally jealous that I won’t be able to participate this year)

Related posts

7DFPS 2014

1. Val

April 6, 2012 at 6:35 am /

This sounds very cool, but where will it be located? Or it will be an online event?
    Thanks!
    Val

2. wandex

March 24, 2012 at 2:01 am /

its really great.

3. tom

February 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm /

Where can one download the sample scenes for tutorial blog posts like these?

Tips for water in Unity
    Animating skinned mesh along waypoin…

Will they be put onto the asset store?

4. ancha

February 17, 2012 at 6:46 am /

hi.,i’m from indonesia..,Greetings.

5. Ashkan

February 12, 2012 at 4:19 pm /

We’ve documented our experience in GGJ here at http://unity3dgamedev.blogspot.com/2012/02/new-experiences-can-be.html

And this is the game in it’s latest state for anyone who is interested to see some source code that you should watch out for :)

Wasn’t satisfying at all but since others can learn from our mistakes, why don’t post it here.

6. David

February 6, 2012 at 7:04 pm /

Why was the last post about the Asset Store deleted?

7. Guus Hoeve

February 4, 2012 at 11:13 pm /

Hey Joe,

We created Catch-22 and won during the Jam in Amsterdam! We are going into full development pretty soon so we hope to win one of the Pro licenses!

here’s a video of the gameplay (and the lovely music) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTbGPzfYoDU

Cheers!

8. Jason Amstrad..

February 2, 2012 at 9:29 am /

Do not forget dynamic water for unity 3.5 !

9. Robert Brackenridge

January 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm /

Global Game Jam started last night. 35 people joined us in Houston for the first night, 35 were back again today. Three teams formed and were given the option to choose whatever game engine they desired. All three selected Unity!

10. hector

January 26, 2012 at 10:24 pm /

11. boing

January 26, 2012 at 11:56 am /

Where is the gamejam link..? (clicking the banner doesnt take you there either..)

12. Joe Robins

January 26, 2012 at 9:49 am /

Very Unlikely, purely due to the license requirements from Microsoft/Sony

13. stagiaires in suriname

January 26, 2012 at 9:30 am /

Nice .
    and will there also be trials for the XBOX 360 or PS3 in the future ?

Stagiaires in suriname

14. Joe Robins

January 26, 2012 at 4:51 am /

I believe the licenses run for the length of the jam and shortly afterwards. The differences with these licenses and downloading a 30 day trial are:

- The GGJ Trial includes Unity Pro, iOS, Android AND Asset Server
    - The Trial can be activated during the jam even on a machine that has previously had a 30 day pro/ios trial license expire

15. student122

January 26, 2012 at 4:42 am /

Hi, are the GGJ trial licenses valid for 30 days ? If so, what is the difference with downloading from Unity website directly ?

16. Scott Petrovic

January 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm /

Great news. I am glad Unity3D is supporting this event. I started getting involved the global game jams in 2010, and am amazed at response and growth the event it is experiencing. For the license codes, I thought Unity put something on the Global Game Jam website that had the license keys to extend their licenses out.

17. Joe Robins

January 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm /

We have arranged for the GGJ organizers to distribute the license codes to all sites globally. So you should expect to hear from them soon.

18. Phil Bourke

January 25, 2012 at 11:57 am /

Thanks for the post how do sites apply for trials?