GDC 2012: Unity 3.5 and Advanced Character Animation preview

March 10, 2012 in Community

Game Developer Conference, Unity 2012Game Developers Conference 2012, San Francisco was the biggest show for Unity to date. Showcasing the exciting new features of Unity 3.5, and previewing the forthcoming advanced character animation technology, developers visiting the Unity booth were treated to a host of Unity games, tech demos, and partner talks.

Top of the list this GDC was our forthcoming Character Animation system which saw its first public unveiling at the Unity Developer day prior to GDC. The technology was then shown in several demonstrations at the Unity booth.

The new system allows a complete pipeline for character artists to create unparalleled realism in their characters’ motion; simply provide a rigged model in a T pose, and Unity’s forthcoming features take care of the rest, from motion capture data, through to blend trees and state machines, the system makes it simple to create incredible character behaviour – you’ll never look at a videogame character in quite the same way again.

Take a look at the feature preview video of the technology below for an overview.

Character Animation Feature Preview video

Featured Games

Also at the Unity booth were some fantastic games authored in Unity. The following trailer shows some of the latest and greatest –

We also had some great games playable at the booth, first up was Oliver and Spike: Dimensions Jumpers, by Rock Pocket Games, a beautiful third person platformer that takes the concept of 3D gaming into a new dimension, as you switch between several dimensions to navigate around the world -

Next is Derrick the Deathfin, a forthcoming Playstation Network title that blends Ecco the Dolphin with Blast Corps, in a cardboard world! Sound bizarre? it is, and it works!

Last but not least is Sky Legends, a fantastic aerial combat game from Smart Bomb Interactive. Already a popular title on the web, the game is soon making its debut on iOS and Android devices too, take a look at the trailer below -

In addition to these amazing games and the fantastic new animation technology on display, Unity staff were also on hand showing off the fantastic new feature set in Unity 3.5. You can download Unity 3.5 today, and check out some of those features in video form below -

Unity would like to thank our users for making GDC 2012 a joy, it was awesome to meet you all, and we hope to see you again at our own user conference, Unite, in August.

1. wine barrel

June 4, 2012 at 6:03 am /

Thanks Sir, it’s better now. I used it on one of my newest projects and i love it. Thanks.

2. Alex

May 31, 2012 at 7:00 am /

Looks great!

Unity is becoming one of the best engine i ever saw. Now if i only had enough money to make a game(programming), still a great tool.

3. Exercicios para perder barriga

May 29, 2012 at 9:51 pm /

videos were amazing!!! great job guys

4. HorseHeadMask

May 23, 2012 at 10:20 am /

Looks beautiful. Will there be any upcoming restrictions with 32 vs 64 bit operating systems? More and more are requiring over 4GB of RAM. Thanks.

5. lgnd clothing

May 20, 2012 at 10:24 am /

Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I’ll definitely digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this website.

6. dressing games

May 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm /

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web site. Studying this info So i’m satisfied to show that I’ve a very excellent uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I such a lot indisputably will make certain to do not put out of your mind this website and give it a glance regularly.

7. tr1stan

April 28, 2012 at 6:16 am /

Great job for the new animation system!
    when it will be released? In unity 3.6?

8. Arman3DG

April 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm /

Very good !!!

9. Jason__Amstrad.

April 8, 2012 at 12:29 pm /

— Dynamic Fluid Surfaces .
    — Destructible Geometry .

10. Will Goldstone

March 20, 2012 at 8:14 am /

@rahu – sorry these were not recorded to my knowledge.

11. rahu

March 20, 2012 at 6:19 am /

there are few master classes too during GDC 2012. Are they going to be shared here on Blog?

12. Ashkan

March 20, 2012 at 5:22 am /

Saw the PDF of the GDC slides of Unity and Directx11 stuff, It’s really amazing. I think it would take at least 6 months for them to become publically available and they’ll come as 4.0 release and not a free update in 3.x series but these are not that important, they are awesome features which could change our games alot.
    And the fact that these features target higher end of the market they might mean lost of money for Unity Technologies which is good for everyone.

13. wandex

March 20, 2012 at 1:32 am /

thats very nice, thanks for uploading

14. Warwick Allison

March 19, 2012 at 8:41 am /

I love new features, but Cloth is still quite buggy (indeed buggier in 3.5 than 3.4). Is Unity chasing too many cats with all these half-finished features?

15. Ahmad

March 17, 2012 at 11:11 am /

To be in Unity 3.6 ;)

16. Will Goldstone

March 15, 2012 at 6:43 pm /

@Daniella – I’m pretty sure that’s a general sentence so may be spam, i’ll remove it once i’ve verified where its from, so I wouldn’t worry! Thanks for wanting to defend us though.

@Jason Amstrad, your request is noted.. many times – you can do this with Unity, check out the pdf on this blog post for how it was done for the latest Shadowgun – http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/09/29/shadowgun-talk-at-unite/

17. Daniella Renfurm

March 15, 2012 at 1:48 pm /

@Dr. C

What are you talking about ?
    Do you think that Unity 3D is not good enough ?
    And why do you think that Unity has the worst treatment by marketing and management ?

18. Dr. C

March 15, 2012 at 1:20 pm /

WORST treatment by marketing and management. THE WORST experience EVER. I will be sure my US sphere of influence avoids the bad organization that mistreats customers.

19. Ahmad

March 15, 2012 at 9:27 am /

Jaw Dropping,

Will this support movement like in assassins creed series.

Kind Regards

20. Cam Macduff

March 14, 2012 at 9:16 pm /

Yea any word on the upgraded GUI system, creation tool?
    I’m seriously hanging out for this. I take it that its not included as was hope for in 3.5?

21. Alex

March 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm /

@Jason Amstrad Dude, you need to get your head examined.

@Unity I’ll pay for this. Food, rent, gas all overrated.

22. Adam

March 14, 2012 at 8:11 am /

Great! Now Unity need a decent GUI system… there a news about it?

23. pixnlove

March 13, 2012 at 8:09 pm /

I hope that using this brand new awesome animation system, those generated skinned meshes can be dynamically batched so that we can further save on all our lovely Draw calls.

24. Scott

March 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm /

25. James

March 13, 2012 at 11:11 am /

Great Great job guys. The character animation module is just stellar!

26. Ashkan

March 13, 2012 at 8:32 am /

formulabill +10
    Really great animation features. I think the amount of work for producing character animation logic and content for complex animation based stuff like what we see in RPGs and simulations is now a fraction of what we were doing before.
    Oh and when i say now i mean unity next version probably 4.0

27. formulabill

March 12, 2012 at 10:05 am /

All these great features and I still can’t manage my own license? Could we please fix this? I hate having to contact you guys every time I install new hardware, or reinstall windows, or when I go on vacation and need to deactivate one of my PC/MAC activations to work on my Laptop, then get back home and have to do it all over again, only to have to wait the entire weekend for someone to help me.

28. pixnlove

March 12, 2012 at 7:46 am /

When I see all this stuff, I am proud to design my games with this awesome Software made by this Awesome cru.

29. DynamicHead

March 12, 2012 at 7:24 am /

Wooow! I feel animated!
    Great job.. –again. :D

30. Chris

March 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm /

Very cool! Got a little tired of seeing the slow-motion somersault over and over, but it’s great to see the animation features that are being added!

31. filedeli

March 11, 2012 at 11:55 am /

VERY impressive! what ever did you do about the animation, the result will always rely on what the author is… :) so keep it up guys, I love to see more with your post…

32. Clark

March 11, 2012 at 11:06 am /

oh, this character controller is really good O_O
    How can we use it?

Wong Wong!!

33. vtornik23

March 11, 2012 at 4:09 am /

Nice animation feature, FSM is the “must have” thing.
    Is any information about release date of the feature?
    Thnx