Unity Launches the Unlimited Mixamo Animation Store

October 16, 2012 in Asset Store

Unity and Mixamo have been long time partners, and I’m happy to say that today our collaboration goes one step further: Starting October 16th 2012, Unity Users will be able to sign up for unlimited access to all Mixamo animations through the Unity Asset Store.

The new Unlimited Mixamo Animation Store plugin unlocks thousands of game ready animations that can be pulled directly from Mixamo into the Unity Editor.

“Offering unprecedented all-you-can-eat access to thousands of motions provides a lot of freedom to Unity users”, said David Helgason, co-founder and CEO of Unity. “Access to the Unlimited Mixamo Animation Store will empower Developers and allow them to experiment and polish their work without any extra cost. This is a big step towards facilitating the process of game design, and together with Mecanim will free developers from the restraints of animation pipelines that are inaccessible to smaller dev teams while opening newer, quicker ways for larger teams to prototype.”

Once selected, motions are automatically applied to characters in real time and can be edited in the Unity Animator Editor.

(Animations are delivered in .anim format compatible with Unity 3.x and earlier and are not compatible or retargetable with Mecanim*. These same animations are also made available in FBX format on Mixamo’s website for users who might want advanced editing features.)

The Unlimited Mixamo Animation Store plugin is available here and will be offered with a 25% discount until November 16, 2012.

*Animations are compatible in Unity 4 with the legacy “animation” component.

In addition to releasing the Unlimited Animation Plugin, Unity and Mixamo are currently working together towards an unlimited offering for Mecanim in Unity 4 in the future.

1. Ashli Mediate

January 11, 2013 at 11:32 am /

2. Leesa Slates

January 8, 2013 at 6:12 pm /

I’m frequently searching for ways to promote my services and had some graphics prepared by another business. Is it possible to use the same graphics? The company was Concord Signs & Banners 3568 Kimball Way Concord, CA 94518 – 925-808-3817. I am not sure if the files will be compatible.

3. Abdul Nusrat

December 31, 2012 at 4:36 am /

thanks for clearing it up mixamo

4. south africa travel

December 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm /

I will immediately seize your rss feed as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Kindly permit me realize so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

5. Read your own future by comprehending the science of numerology. Know exactly what your name indicates and from that you will certainly begin to recognize just what your course in life is.

December 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm /

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have bear in mind your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent. I really like what you’ve got right here, certainly like what you’re saying and the best way wherein you are saying it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to stay it wise. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful website.

6. Abstergo

December 3, 2012 at 11:04 pm /

I think that the previous comment nailed the fundamental problem…and the fact that there were no replies from Mixamo makes me think that it is a last resort to try to sell something old before that people will start to take away customers from Mixamo, using the free libraries cleaned up and sold on the store as unity 4 format.

It may be of use if you have the old version of Unity, but at that price….you can get a bit more and just get Unity 4.

7. Eric Dawson

November 13, 2012 at 12:00 pm /

This sounds interesting, I was considering to get a bunch of credits from mixamo to animate some characters, and this offer is much more convenient than spending 400 bucks for few credits.

The problem is: the animation format:

Can someone from mixamo explain exactly what it means .anim format?

If I take the model outside Unity, I will basically not see the animations but just the rigged model?

Just to be clear; this force me to keep whatever I animate stuck in Unity? Unless I buy the version in FBX from your site?

In that case the offer loose a bit of interest, since I work with different engines (some of them are proprietary, so I need the model with the animations to be incapsulated in the engine file format to avoid that users may rip the textures and mesh), and not all the projects that I work on are in Unity….which means that this would be quite limiting for me.

Can you please translate from nice commercial pitch to facts? Can I open the model with the animations from this offer, in 3DMax and see the animations in there?

Thanks.

8. Flip Siphon Pro review

October 22, 2012 at 7:45 am /

I have been browsing on-line more than 3 hours as of late, but I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content material as you did, the web shall be much more useful than ever before.

9. Barbie Hackborn

October 22, 2012 at 2:37 am /

If you already make the scan to the car and the scanner give you a code with the cam sensor as fault have in mind there is a cables connecting the sensor to the computer,first of all check the cables then if you have the scanner clear the code most of the codes are loaded on the computer memory and no clear just by disconnect the batteryAnd that’s right never connect the positive with the negative make that could cause to burn the computer or any other electronic device.

10. Richard Fine

October 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm /

Oh, nevermind, I just reread the end of the article. OK, cool, I’ll get interested when you sort that bit out :)

11. Richard Fine

October 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm /

@Mixamo: Last time I checked, Mecanim did *not* support converting .ANIM files into muscle clips unless they were part of an FBX. If they can’t be converted to muscle clips, they can’t be retargeted to non-Mixamo humanoid rigs. Are you saying that’s changed?

It’s true that Mecanim “supports” 3.5-style .ANIM clips but only in the sense that you can plug them into an animation state machine. That’ll be enough for some people I guess, but it isn’t going to help anyone who wants to use Mixamo anims on a non-Mixamo rig via muscle-space retargeting. From the sound of it, those people will still have to keep buying .FBX files individually.

12. Mixamo

October 18, 2012 at 10:44 am /

Thanks a lot CreepGin. To be honest, it’s a big leap for us. As mentioned earlier, 35 cents per animation (26 is you get the 25% discount) is completely unheard of. When you take into account the level of quality that comes with Mixamo animations, it makes it even more obvious that this is a game-changer for game devs who just don’t have huge budgets for their games but still want AAA quality.

Regarding our future projects, there’s lots and lots in the pipeline. ;)

We can’t share details about everything just yet, but there’s definitely a lot to look forward to. One project that’s already well on its way and that we can give more info about is our new Fuse technology: With Fuse, devs and artist will be able to create huge amounts of characters by assembling and editing body parts together in a very fast and intuitive way… For free! This is a big project that got a lot of peeps excited and is currently in beta. You can learn more here: http://www.mixamo.com/fuse/

Cheers!

13. CreepGin

October 18, 2012 at 8:22 am /

First of all, this IS an insane deal. I always thought the old service and animations were a bit pricey, especially when buying more than just a handful of animations. So kudos to you guys for making this deal and decision. I’ll be getting this before the sale ends.

For unity4 and beyond, I’m guessing you guys (Mixamo) are gonna continue adding retargetable motions on the asset store. My question is, are there new service models or products in the near future? Also, are you guys working on non-biped rigging and animations?

14. Andy

October 17, 2012 at 10:14 pm /

OK, that’s what I wasn’t sure of. I’ll be buying some FBXes on your web site then.

15. Mixamo

October 17, 2012 at 7:31 pm /

To make this even *more* clear: :)

@Andy: If you need specific motions in .FBX format instead of the regular 3.X .ANIM format, you’ll be able to purchase them separately on the Mixamo site and freely use them with Mechanim.

16. Andy

October 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm /

So to make this even more clear (to me at least):

If I buy this in the Unity Animation Store from Mixamo then I’ll be able do download these as FBXes directly from Mixamo with my receipt from Unity’s Asset Store? That’s a great deal then.

17. Mixamo

October 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm /

Hi guys! First off, sorry if there was any confusion regarding the Unlimited Animation Store. Here are some answers to your questions:

About the unlimited access: (Manutoo):

Once you download the Unlimited Animation Store, you can pick any Mixamo animation, download already applied to one of your characters, edit it within the Unity Editor…. and it’s yours. Royalty Free. Forever. There is no time limit on it whatsoever.

About the number of motions: (Andy):

If you go to our site, you currently have access to 1412 motions. New motions are added to our collection every week so the content that you have access via the Unlimited plugin is constantly expanding. You might have been reading the number of motions that are under the “General Motions” category to find the number 391? Either way, we can confirm that there are many, many more motions available than that! And even more to come. :)

It’s actually 0.35 cents per animation (!!!) if you apply your calculation with the correct number of available motions.
    To be honest… That’s an unheard of!!

About Mecanim, Unity 4 and compatibility: (Novak, Georges Paz):

Mecanim and The Animation Store are two distinct things: The Animation Store provides thousands of animations that you can apply to your character. Mecanim, on the other hand, is a feature within Unity 4 that allows you to retarget and control animations. The Animation Store will in no way become obsolete with Unity 4 since it will still support 3.X .ANIM files.
    Additionally, as mentioned in the article above, users who want to use Mecanim can always get FBX versions of their motions directly from the Mixamo website as well.

Hoping this is helpful. Please, let us know if you have any more questions and we’ll be happy to answer them asap!
    Cheers,

The Mixamo Team.

18. Andy

October 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm /

OK, I clicked on Genre on the menu on the left hand side and it showed 391 results. So in this case isn’t but oddness with there UI.

1412 is a bit more than 391.

19. HBird

October 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm /

@manutoo: If their unlimited store is like their regular store regarding use of animations — which is what it seems — then the content you get from them is yours once you download it. So during a year, you can get as many motions as you want, then they’re yours to do what you want with them. Period.
    @Andy: Not sure why you say 391 I see 1412 under their search results: http://bit.ly/OJ30gP

Would be nice to get confirmation but I’m pretty sure that’s what this is.

20. Andy

October 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm /

If you go to the Mixamo site it will tell you there are 391 motions available. They do have a slider that you can use to speed up or slow down a motion but that’s not really a new motion is it?

Buying this amounts to paying $1 per motion for a soon to be obsolete library of motions for Mixamo’s largest potential customer base. If they were retargetable I’d consider but unlike antique cars and bric-a-brac these motions won’t keep any value.

21. Georges Paz

October 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm /

I will buy it if they are compatible with both standard and mecanim animation systems. But no, I’m not interested.

22. Novack

October 17, 2012 at 9:28 am /

Indeed. Just marketing stuff, for a product soon to need a big revamp anyway, as it doesnt work for Unity4.
    Doesnt makes any sense to see this big ad on the Unity blog, really.

23. Pkid

October 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm /

I agree that it is confusing, it would be nice if the unity folks could explain a bit more.

24. manutoo

October 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm /

In plain English (ie: not marketing terms), what does “access to thousands of motions” actually mean ?
    Can I download all the animations available in the Mixamo Store (during 1 year, according to the Store description) and use them in my games forever without any restriction ? Or can they only be used for prototyping and the “access” is cut after 1 year (ie: the anims don’t work anymore) ?

If it’s the former, then after 1 year, what happens ? I should pay again the same amount of $$$ for an additional year, but to get an expected much more limited numbers of new anims released during that new year ? Maybe you should add a renew plan at ~10% of the initial year cost ?