Unity Windows Phone 8 at Microsoft Build Conference!

October 30, 2012 in Events, Technology

Today at Microsoft’s Build developer conference held at the company’s campus in Redmond, WA, Tony Garcia, Unity EVP of Business Development, took the stage during the mobile keynote to talk about Unity’s commitment to Windows Phone 8 by demonstrating just how empowering development for the platform can be for new and existing Unity-authored games and apps.

Tony spoke while Field Engineer Corey Johnson toured the Unity development environment, using a level from Madfinger’s Shadowgun as the example project.  The short demonstration provided onlookers (both on-site and online) unfamiliar with Unity a good idea of the power, versatility, and efficiency of the tools. As Tony talked, Corey demonstrated how easily projects can be changed between platforms and built for Windows Phone 8 in Unity.

Shadowgun was then demonstrated running on a Windows Phone 8 mobile device and it looked mighty fantastic!

It’s clear that Unity is going to play a big role in the early months of Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 device availability with games like Shadowgun, Ski Safari, and Temple Run headlining a number of other amazing Unity-authored titles. As you can see, we’re currently deep into development of the Windows Phone 8 deployment add-on and as the Shadowgun level demonstrates, things are looking good!

Unity also has a booth at the Build conference, so if you’re in the area, drop by and check out what we’re doing with Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.

1. Lav Patel

December 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm /

when unity 3d will be support for windows 8 and windows 8 phone.?

2. Roald

December 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm /

i’m glad that the new WP 8 update came out, cause i was going crazy when my HTC 8X did 10 random reboots a day!

3. Windows to go

December 9, 2012 at 12:03 pm /

It’s appropriate time to make a few plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy. I have read this put up and if I may I wish to counsel you some fascinating issues or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles relating to this article. I desire to read even more things about it!

4. disfjkl

December 9, 2012 at 8:44 am /

Very exciting for Windows Phone. The platform needs more games, and this will make it easy for existing developers to port their games to the platform.

5. Omer

December 2, 2012 at 3:49 am /

When ? estimated date ?

6. monclervestformen.webs.com

November 25, 2012 at 3:26 am /

What I do on my own time is nobody else’s business.I get hold of you at last.Most games cost about that much.I am too tired to speakI have the right to know.On behalf of my company, I would like to welcome you here.On behalf of my company, I would like to welcome you here.He has a remarkable memory.Please let me check the bill.I’m looking forward to seeing you

7. Alex

November 24, 2012 at 5:55 pm /

When? Please Unity, shed some light on this.

8. Jashan

November 19, 2012 at 1:14 pm /

Awesome!!! … I’m just about to start holding my breath ;-) … it would be really cool to be able to push some Unity awesomeness to the Windows Store while it’s still not totally overcrowded like all other stores already are.

9. Jerry

November 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm /

Another person itching for news on Windows 8′s (the UI formally known as) Metro support. When!?! :D

10. Ashkan

November 1, 2012 at 8:09 am /

Cheers guys

11. Allan Chaney

October 31, 2012 at 6:21 am /

Regarding WinRT, here is what the Unity CEO David Helgason had to say in an interview with Microsoft’s Greg Duncan at the Channel 9 site.

“We really want that to happen and that’s our intent. But we’re in the early days of WinRT and there are not many devices available yet, so… But again, we intend too!”

By the way this entire interview is an incredible read if you are interested in the tech of Unity development and platform support/deployment.
    Here is the link to the Channel 9 interview:

12. Breakmachine

October 31, 2012 at 1:09 am /

When, when, when? Feels like ages!

13. Kaarlo

October 31, 2012 at 12:16 am /

Does the Windows Phone 8 support in Unity only work with Windows 8? Since the SDK is only for Windows 8

14. Brent

October 30, 2012 at 5:19 pm /

15. Evan

October 30, 2012 at 4:13 pm /

WP8, WinRT/Win8, and PS Vita support estimates would rock. If with Unity 4 then awesome, if not… by the end of the year?

16. Dragonstar

October 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm /

what about xna i really dont care about the windows phone i am most interest on console or portable hand held like Psp Vita and

17. BigDaddio

October 30, 2012 at 11:35 am /

So when do we get our hands on this? Will it be an update to the Unity 4 beta? What about playing on the Surface (WinRT) tablet?

18. Indy

October 30, 2012 at 11:34 am /

What about publishing for Windows 8 RT? Will be there seperate Addon for that?

19. Oliver Weichhold

October 30, 2012 at 11:10 am /

Will Support for Windows 8 Metro Apps be part of the Unity 4 Core or will that be a seperate Addon?