What’s next on Mecanim roadmap
After the excitement of the Unity 4 release and the creative blast of Ninja Camp, it’s time for another Mecanim update.
Unity 4 with Mecanim brings beautiful efficiency and ease of use to creating AAA animation for your interactive content. But that was just the first iteration of our new animation system! Here are some details about new features and updates in the roadmap.
Our immediate main task is to polish the animation creation tools and workflows. We plan to open the Mecanim API to create and control Animators, allowing you to create and set up State Machines and Blend Trees completely from scripting. We’ll make it possible to control the flow of a State Machine by forcing Transitions and time progression in States. Finally, we plan to develop cool new features like 2D Blend Trees and IK for fingers. Here’s a short list of planned features:
- Discover State Machines and Blend Trees that use a Parameter
- Create State Machine to State Machine Transitions
- Use different icons in State Machine for Animation Clip or Blend Trees
- Animation Events for Mecanim
- Ability to zoom/dolly in Animator Preview window
- Hot swap of controllers at runtime
- Make Foot Bottom Height available in public API to help foot planting and similar IK rigs
- Trajectory Node for Humanoid Clip
- Runtime mirror and cycle offset. In States and Blend Tree Leaves
- 2D Blend Trees
- Controller recording
- Auto Ragdoll
We worked on some of these planned features at Ninja Camp VII, which you can read more about here.
That’s it for now. Thanks!