Mixamo’s animation store plug-in now supports Mecanim!

January 18, 2013 in Asset Store, Rants & Raves by

Mixamo Unlimited Animation StoreAt the core of our company philosophy is the belief that nothing should get in the way of the creative process.  Game development has traditionally been laden with technical, financial and workflow obstacles.  We’re all about removing them and allowing you guys to do what you do best– make your games, interactive installations, simulations, and applications come to life!  So, we’re really pleased to work with partners and content to the Asset Store which are aligned with this vision.  That’s why I’m quite excited to present an exciting update to a classic Asset Store offering:  Mixamo’s new Mecanim-compatible animation store plugin.

Mixamo’s latest iteration of their animation store is a huge game-changer. While the previous version of their online animation store was a hit, the fact that it now works with Mecanim compounds its power many times over.  You probably already know that Unity 4′s brilliant Mecanim system makes believable and smooth character animation and player movement easier than ever– especially the way it allows you to retarget animation from any character to another and control it with intuitive blend tree logic.  It’s one of those features that, once you have it, is almost hard to imagine life without.  With this latest improvement to Mixamo’s animation store plug-in, Unity users can access Mixamo’s huge motion collection directly through the Unity interface.

Developers have the option to either buy custom animations à la carte or purchase the unlimited license and pig out with all-you-can-eat access to Mixamo’s motion collection for one year.  Both versions give you access to thousands of easily customized game-ready animations which can be previewed and applied instantly to any game character. After downloading the desired motions they are ready to be blended, combined and re-targeted in an infinite amount of ways using the incredibly versatile Mecanim system.  Animation from the Mixamo animation store is legally straightforward and catch free, with a lifetime royalty-free license.  They are supplied in .anim format compatible with the latest versions of Unity including 4.0.1 and earlier. Motions from Mixamo can be applied to any type of rig within Unity including humanoid, generic and legacy.

Run, don’t walk, to the Unity Asset Store, get the Mixamo Animation Store for Mecanim and see how powerful these two technologies are together!

22 Jan 2013, 4:19 pm

Why not a monthly/yearly subscription to mixamo’s animation store? Even a 750$ it’s a bit step forward for most of Unity developers. Any serious Indie game developer will already have a character animator on their team, which. So the audience you are really targeting are hobbyists/students/tiny indie developers. It would be hard to sell those full store license to those people.
If you are afraid of people downloading your entire library in one month then why not limiting their downloads? Let say 200 download per month or something like that. So peoples with monthly subscriptions can’t download everything under one month.

Richard Fine
22 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

@Georges: Isn’t that what this *is*? You pay $1000, you get a year’s access. At the end of the year, if you want, you pay another $1000 and get another year. And so on. It’s a $1000 yearly subscription fee.

Adam T
24 Jan 2013, 8:57 am

The asking price is excellent value, even given the restraint of not being able to edit the files as FBX. You won’t find a character animator who can knock up 50 quality animations for a prototype in a week, nevermind a few hours, and charge you a mere $750 for them on top of that.

There’s no shortage of expensive hobbies, but there’s always a way to do them on a budget: You simply do without the luxuries!

Incidentally, I personally this is better than the monthly subscription plan, as with subscription you have to wait for your credits to accrue (month by month) before you can spend them, and even then it’s easy to spend them all in a day.

24 Jan 2013, 3:00 pm

@Richard,
I’ve misunderstood then, I though it was 1500$ for a life-time pass, I know it sounds a bit ridiculous but I’ve seen similar web-sites that offers such kind of one-time pass.
But still, a reduced price with a limited number of downloads in a monthly subscription will fit better the average Unity dev. I mean, you won’t be downloading animations all year long.
My proposal is to add an other subscription model as an alternative to the yearly subscription.

Richard
25 Jan 2013, 9:06 am

i can’t see this working, they just want too much money for at the end of the day what amounts to pretty standard looking models

you can buy whole software packages that can generate characters who look better than this, you don’t even need to know how to manipulate a mesh.

I would rather find a character artist, and further if I couldn’t I would at the very least want to be controlling the features of my characters in a rpg style generation system

everyone can see where this mixamo idea is going

Adam T
26 Jan 2013, 1:51 am

@RICHARD 25 Jan 2013, 9:06 am

Not all games are RPGs, and not all situations can wait for an animator to flesh out ideas. This is where the Mixamo stuff comes in very handy in a work environment. It’s not the death of artists and it’s not the end of animators; it’s a good way to relieve the burden on both – games require a lot more art than just animation*.

*If you read the article, you’ll see this has nothing to do with character models: It’s unfettered access to their entire animation library.

27 Jan 2013, 11:37 pm

@Richard: what are the “software packages that can generate characters” you’re referencing ? I’d like to check them out..! ;)

29 Jan 2013, 12:02 am

Useful information. Lucky me I discovered your web site by chance, and I am surprised why this twist of fate didn’t came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

7 Mar 2013, 1:23 am

I love it when people come together and share thoughts. Great blog, stick with it!|

7 Mar 2013, 10:59 pm

Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I were tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided shiny transparent concept

18 Apr 2013, 10:35 am

In both options Mixamo wouldn’t buy unlimitade license