Unity 4 Early Access for Windows Store apps

March 7, 2013 in Technology

It is an honor for me to announce the Windows Store apps early access program. Starting with Unity 4.2 you will be able to develop games for PCs and tablets running Windows 8* and Windows RT and publish them to the Windows Store. This opens up a new global platform for you to reach even more people eager to play great Unity-authored games and interactive content.

If you feel brave enough to be an early adopter and play with technology still in development, then enroll in our Windows Store apps early access program. If you are an intermediate or advanced Unity user, WE WANT YOU! As a participant of our beta, you get to test our new platform, report bugs and provide relevant feedback that will help Unity create a great product and jump start your Windows Store plans. We do ask for your patience though; depending on the number of people who register for the program it could take time for us to process the requests and send you the link to the beta site.

Is it ready for my team?

We’ve been working on the support of Windows Store apps for a while now. The below Unity-authored games have already been published in the Windows Store:

Orcs Must Survive Drift Mania Championship 2 Pettson’s Inventions Gunpowder Rumpelstiltskin 3D Snow White Prequel Razor Salvation,  Siegecraft Qbism Hungry MonstR Fling Theory Experiment HD,  Big Buck Hunter Living Stories: Das Verlorene Herz.

Unity 4 Windows Store apps support is still in development. It is not feature complete nor fully optimized so there may be some bugs lurking. By joining our beta testing program you can help us accelerate development, ensuring this is a great product for all of our developers.

What hardware is supported?

With Unity 4.2 you will be able to publish games as Windows Store apps targeting x86 and ARM systems. The minimum DirectX version supported is DirectX 11 Feature level 9.1, so your games will run on almost any PC and tablet that is running on Windows 8 or Windows RT.

How can I publish my games to Windows Store?

You will be able to port your existing games to the Windows Store apps platform using the Unity 4.2 alpha/beta builds. We will provide a two month trial license key for all registered beta participants that will unlock Windows Store app platform support in the Unity toolset.

Please note that any project deployed with a trial license will be watermarked and not for commercial release. Developers who wish to publish their games on Windows Store using our alpha/beta builds should contact the Unity Sales Department.

PLEASE BE AWARE

Please do not enter this early access program if you have any time sensitive dependencies to release your Unity product in the Windows Store. This Unity Beta product will not be fully functional nor contain a full commercial feature locked set of tools. New users to Unity should wait to develop in Unity for Windows Store until after the public commercial release.

We appreciate you carefully understanding what your expectations are and not depending on this Beta Product for any of your deadlines. We’re excited to progress this product with the help of you, your team, and our incredible Pro user community. Depending on the number of people who register for the program, it could take time for us to process the requests and send you the link to the beta site. Thanks for your help and patience in advance.

1. digital_frog

May 28, 2013 at 6:29 am /

I know its hard to set up a website to do online easy programming for games . but i wish there was one .
    Thanks for the great info
    Im loving my new nokia windows phone
    Cheers
    jeff

2. iphone 4 apps

May 14, 2013 at 1:23 am /

Valuable info. Fortunate me I found your site by accident, and I’m shocked why this coincidence did not came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

3. brindes promocionais Brasília

April 30, 2013 at 2:52 am /

I’m keen on the particular useful data a person offer your posts. I most certainly will book mark your site and look again right here typically. We’re fairly particular I’ll understand a lot of completely new products right here! All the best ! for!

4. erin

March 22, 2013 at 4:24 am /

5. Mike McCool

March 21, 2013 at 9:29 am /

It really looks interesting and something I’ve always wanted to do. I’m in.

6. william

March 21, 2013 at 8:54 am /

so this support WM_POINTER I guess? is it a pro feature to support Windows 8?

7. Troy

March 16, 2013 at 1:39 pm /

this is awesome.. so glad to see that this collaboration is happening… very exciting! can’t wait to see the results!

8. Mohan

March 13, 2013 at 10:55 pm /

@Vilmantas Balasevicius
    Kindly include World Cricket Championship Pro in this list which was created using Unity and it is now available in Windows Store.
    URL : http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-IN/app/world-cricket-championship-pro/50516d71-c4f1-4b77-a2b3-7366961c3dc0

9. аквариумные рыбки под заказ

March 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm /

of course like your website however you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to tell the reality on the other hand I will surely come again again.

10. Frank

March 12, 2013 at 5:27 am /

@all
    Don’t worry, i asked my sales person at Unity.
    Existing Pro customers don’t have to pay extra for the Windows 8 store output.
    So this part here:

“*Regular desktop application development for Windows was, is and will be a part of existing Unity product. The ability to develop a new Windows Store app based on Windows Runtime will be introduced in 4.2.”

does not mean, that we have to pay extra!

11. Vilmantas Balasevicius

March 12, 2013 at 2:10 am /

Do you feel scammed paying 1,500 $ for iOS publishing and have your games run on iOS tablets and phones ? Windows Store add on is a same thing: it will allow you to have your games played on Windows RT tablets and Windows Phone 8 phones. You can continue building games on Windows as you did before – nothing changes here. We are adding support for one more global handheld platform.

12. Martin

March 11, 2013 at 6:18 pm /

Why I have paid Unity 4 PRO $1,500 to build games for Windows, and now I need to pay extra $1,500 for Unity 4 Pro “Windows Store”??? That doesn’t make sense, I feel scammed! And I think the other developers will be too!!

13. Indy

March 11, 2013 at 12:27 pm /

terms and conditions:
    “Upon its commercial release, all end users are required to purchase the Unity Windows Store Basic or Pro add-on in order to receive ongoing updates during its 4.x lifecycle”

14. Udit Handa

March 11, 2013 at 5:10 am /

I love gaming and using new applications. About “Unity 4 Early Access for Windows Store apps”
    sounds interesting… Hope it found valuable.

Thanks for this nice Post…..

15. fangliquan

March 10, 2013 at 9:48 pm /

I Want !

16. Despicable Me

March 9, 2013 at 8:48 am /

Thank you for every other excellent article. Where else may anyone get that type of info in such an ideal manner of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the search for such info.

17. Glauber

March 9, 2013 at 5:29 am /

Will it be possible to use compile Windows Store apps using a Mac?

18. Rocker

March 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm /

Free Win8 Add-On + Non-saturated Win8 App Market = Amazing opportunities for developers. I hope, that this “add on” will not cost anything…..do we have any word on this yet?

19. Martin

March 8, 2013 at 10:58 am /

Can someone from Unity confirm if this “add-on” will be free for Unity 4 Pro (windows/mac/linux) users?

20. Damien

March 8, 2013 at 7:26 am /

“a lot of stuff. From big things (memory profiler, custom shader inspectors)” — Good to ear :) Even if I still waiting the new gui system to buy some Unity4 licences.

21. Aras Pranckevičius

March 8, 2013 at 4:23 am /

“Whats new in Unity 4.1 ?” – a lot of stuff. From big things (memory profiler, custom shader inspectors) to small things (filter editor console by errors/warnings/logs, much improved handling of non-power-of-two texture sizes, etc.). Patience, you’ll get the release anyday now with the full release notes.

22. Damien

March 8, 2013 at 2:24 am /

“We aren’t skipping 4.1″ –

Whats new in Unity 4.1 ?

23. Aras Pranckevičius

March 7, 2013 at 10:02 pm /

“From Unity 4.0.1 to Unity 4.2″ – 4.2 alpha is being started right now (with windows store apps support). 4.1 is in final release candidate stage, release should happen any day now. We aren’t skipping 4.1.

24. Jacco

March 7, 2013 at 6:50 pm /

Yet ANOTER pro license to buy
    This whole “Code once, deploy everywhere” just became
    “Code once, deploy on 25% unless you buy 4 pro licenses, of course”

25. Chris

March 7, 2013 at 5:22 pm /

Well, I’m definitely not an Intermediate or Advanced User, but this sounds cool.

26. Frank

March 7, 2013 at 3:00 pm /

>>”*Regular desktop application development for Windows was, is and will be a part of existing Unity product. The ability to develop a new Windows Store app based on Windows Runtime will be introduced in 4.2.”

Does this mean, we have to pay for the Windows Store add-on?
    So Metro Export will cost money? $1500 extra?

27. Counter is so fast...

March 7, 2013 at 11:40 am /

From Unity 4.0.1 to Unity 4.2, next Unity 4.5 with new GUI functionality and next Unity 5.0 with new licenses :(

28. Paul

March 7, 2013 at 9:22 am /

Will this engine even run on the clover trail based Intel Atom chips that is shipping in all of the transforming style tablet/laptops? Acer W510, Samsung 500T, HP Envy X2?

29. Jason Doucette

March 7, 2013 at 7:26 am /

This is amazing, I signed up! can’t wait to get my hands on it and start testing it out! I am also waiting for the Win8 Phone as well, I’m sure it’s in there somewhere, it just can’t come fast enough!

30. Damien

March 7, 2013 at 7:12 am /

Look great. I don’t really know how works “store”, does it mean we will not have to create a installer to publish our standalone games (with NSIS for example) ?

31. Vilmantas Balasevicius

March 7, 2013 at 6:57 am /

Regarding Windows Phone 8: can’t really comment now, but stay tuned for more interesting news…

32. Ronnie

March 7, 2013 at 6:50 am /

Very good news. It is great to have a schedule out in the open for when final Windows 8 support can be expected. Can’t help but wonder about the lack of mentioning Windows Phone 8, though. Where do that fit in to the schedule?

33. Sgt.Riggs

March 7, 2013 at 6:49 am /

What about Windows Phone 8? Will Unity 4 support WP8?