Unity 4 Beta program for Windows Phone 8 apps

March 27, 2013 in Technology by

Three weeks ago I had the opportunity to present to you our Unity 4 open beta program for Windows Store apps. At that time, many developers were asking whether Unity 4 would support development of Windows Phone 8 apps as well. Today, I’m pleased to satisfy your curiosity…

I’m very proud to announce the launch of the Unity 4 open beta for Windows Phone 8 apps! We welcome any experienced Unity developer to enroll in this latest open beta. It’s a chance to preview Unity 4 for the Windows Phone 8 platform and get a foothold in an all-new marketplace that is looking for great games. As a beta participant, you’ll test new technology, report bugs and help us to make it better.

If you enroll in both the Unity 4 Windows Store apps and Windows Phone 8 apps beta programs, you can develop games for the entire Windows ecosystem. People around the world can play your games on computers running Windows XP/7/8, Windows RT tablets and Windows Phone 8 mobiles.

How can my team get access to beta builds ?

In order to participate in this beta program, you need to register here. The open beta consists of two parts:

• Participants can discuss issues, ask questions, give feedback to Unity engineers  and report bugs via the mailing list. Please note that this can result in significant email traffic.

• Windows Phone 8 beta builds, info on how to get started and all other relevant information is hosted on the beta site.

In 24 hours after your registration you will receive a welcome email with instructions on how to proceed.

What is the state of technology ?

Unity 4 Windows Phone 8 support has not yet reached maturity: we are still working on performance optimizations.  There are also bugs and some features missing. However, we feel experienced developers can take advantage of this early technology and already ship games on Windows Phone 8. In fact, we have a few games published on Windows Phone Store:

Drift Mania Championship 2  Fling Theory  Orcs Must Survive

At this point we really need feedback from you, the game creators working on real games. By joining our beta testing program, you can help us accelerate development to ensure this is a great product for all Unity customers.

How can I publish my games to Windows Phone Store ?

You will be able to port your existing games to the Windows Phone 8 apps platform using the Unity alpha/beta builds.  We will provide a two month trial license key for all registered beta participants that will unlock Windows Phone 8 app platform support in the Unity toolset.  Please note that any project deployed with a trial license will be watermarked and not for commercial release. Developers who wish to publish their games on Windows Phone Store using our alpha/beta builds should contact the Unity Sales Department.

The Unity 4 Windows Store add-on is a requirement in order to publish your Windows 8 x86, Windows RT, or WP8 project to the Windows Store or Windows Phone Store.  This licensing option comes in the same two flavors you all know and love:  Basic and Pro. However, if you simply want to deploy your game to the Windows desktop without going through the store, then there are no additional licenses for you to purchase. Regular desktop application development for Windows was, is and will be a part of the existing Unity product.

When will Windows Phone 8 apps support be released?

Windows Phone 8 apps support in Unity 4 is going to be released after 4.2 is shipped. We are working very hard to make this another top-quality Unity feature. We will take the time necessary to polish it. Still, this does not prevent you from making awesome games with our beta builds !

Please note that Unity 4 Windows Store apps and Unity 4 Windows Phone 8 apps beta builds are incompatible at this point, so users are advised to have parallel installations of beta software bundles: Unity 4 editor and platform plugin.

PLEASE BE AWARE

Please do not enter this open beta program if you have any time sensitive dependencies to release your Unity product in the Windows Phone Store. This Unity Beta product will not be fully functional nor contain a full commercial feature locked set of tools. New users to Unity should wait to develop in Unity for Windows Phone Store until after the public commercial release. We appreciate you carefully understanding what your expectations are and not depending on this Beta Product for any of your deadlines. We’re excited to progress this product with the help of you, your team, and our incredible user community. Depending on the number of people who register for the program, it could take time for us to process the requests and send you the link to the beta site. Thanks for your help and patience in advance.

27 Mar 2013, 8:28 am

You guys are seriously releasing a ton of stuff these days :)

27 Mar 2013, 8:29 am

Great news ! Finally ! One detail though :
So if I understand correctly, Unity 4 is required ? No love for 3.x users ?

27 Mar 2013, 9:14 am

Great news! I’ve been waiting for this with a WP8 dev account ready… :)

Glauber
27 Mar 2013, 9:44 am

What comes next? Google Glass?? lol

Joe Smith
27 Mar 2013, 2:46 pm

Does that mean we have to pay $1500 to export to Windows 8 store and another $1500 to export to Windows Phone 8?

27 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

When will be available beta program for Blackberry, we will have the best multiplatform experience,

27 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

YEESSSSSS!

Vilmantas Balasevicius
28 Mar 2013, 1:04 am

To answer questions about pricing: there is a one add on license(two versions – Pro and Basic) for both Windows Store apps and Windows Phone 8 apps. So, for 1500 USD (Windows Store Pro add on license) or 400 USD(Windows Store Basic add on license) you can publish your games both on Windows Store and Windows Phone Store and your games will run on: Windows Phone 8 mobiles, Windows RT tablets, Windows 8 x86 machines in “new UI” mode. Please note that you can still develop Windows desktop games without this add on – we don’t change any licensing for regular Windows desktop applications.

Williams
28 Mar 2013, 4:13 am

Thanks for the next beta release. I was hoping the final version would be released before fall.

If temple run for windows phone (http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2013/03/27/temple-run-is-here-and-free-for-windows-phone-8.aspx) is using Unity middleware, then I must say your product has some issues and its a resource hog because it requires 1GB minimum RAM, while 512 MB devices should suffice the hardware requirements for such game.

28 Mar 2013, 7:10 am

Yes, Temple Run is using Unity engine, and yes, I am sure developers will optimize this game to run on 512 mb RAM. Answer is no to Unity being resource hog, optimizing game assets is entirely in the hands of game creators.

1 Apr 2013, 4:03 am

Thanks for the new release. This beta version will work Good.

Ali Gursoy
1 Apr 2013, 3:39 pm

Hello

i wonder why games look so laggy compared to ios/android versions ?

thanks

2 Apr 2013, 12:22 pm

Great stuff! Technology is moving up and up and up!!

2 Apr 2013, 9:18 pm

I agree with you and Temple Run is using Unity engine, and yes, I am sure developers will optimize this game to run on 512 mb RAM. Answer is no to Unity being resource hog, optimizing game assets is entirely in the hands of game creators.

2 Apr 2013, 9:19 pm

13 Apr 2013, 1:25 pm

Excellent website. Plenty of helpful info here. I’m sending it to some pals ans additionally sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you for your effort!

TRay Studios
17 Apr 2013, 6:56 am

This is great, just read the pricing, great to know can’t wait to get on it, we have a game on WP7 done with XNA and it is doing decent now we are going to port over using Unity instead of Monogame. This may have been asked and forgive me if it has but is there a time for full release would have love to try the beta seeing we already have a game on the WP7 and port would be simple but just would like to wait full version.

24 Apr 2013, 2:05 am

Thanks for another informative website. Where else could I am getting that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I’ve a project that I am just now running on, and I’ve been on the glance out for such information.

24 Apr 2013, 9:42 am

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually loved account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing on your augment and even I success you get entry to consistently quickly.

28 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this post is awesome, great written and come with almost all vital infos. I would like to see more posts like this .

28 Apr 2013, 9:46 pm

Magnificent conquer! I have to beginner because you modify your web site, exactly how may possibly i actually signed up for your website? This consideration helped me a acceptable cope. I have been touch knowledgeable of your a person’s transmit made available brilliant obvious principle

28 Apr 2013, 10:07 pm

My cousin advised We would potentially for instance this website. He had been totally appropriate. That send truly. produced my evening. It’s possible to not necessarily think about how a bunch. time I did put in with this information and facts! Thank you so much!

29 Apr 2013, 1:23 pm

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to present one thing again and help others like you aided me.

26 May 2013, 4:28 pm

Hi there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

19 Jun 2013, 10:03 pm

Hi there very nice web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally?I am glad to find a lot of helpful information right here in the put up, we’d like work out more strategies on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .