Unity Training

May 14, 2013 in Events

Hello!

Just over a year ago I joined Unity as a Trainer and Consultant. In this role, I’ve been travelling to customers around the world helping them learn how to get the best from our technology. I’ve visited games companies, universities, research centres and simulation customers, and the locations have spanned the globe, from Texas to Saudi Arabia, to Singapore. (TL;DR Videos Below!)

During this time, I’ve also been helping to build up the range of training material that we can offer to customers. A lot of this material has grown organically, some based on customer requests for training in specific areas, and some based on creative ideas that tie together Unity’s features into learning projects.

The style and focus of the training courses vary widely. I’ve visited customers who needed a crash-course for their junior developers, or training for experienced developers moving to Unity from a different environment. I’ve also visited teams of experienced Unity developers in the middle of projects who wanted a quick boost of technical knowledge to help get their project to the finish line.

In my beginner crash-course, I take trainees on a tour through Unity’s main features, bringing everything we learn together into a finished game – which usually involves plenty of flying saucers, explosions and sound effects. This seemingly simple project covers many of Unity’s core features such as the art and asset pipeline, physics, components, scripting, prefabs, particle systems, audio, and helps get developers who are new to Unity familiar with the editor.

A common request from games and simulation customers alike is training for our new animation system, and its integration with physics and pathfinding. For this, I run through the entire system from scratch, creating a third-person controller and NPC characters with many of the common games actions such as mouselook, strafing, sprinting and crouch walking. We learn how to import, edit and retarget animations, through to building up state machines and integration with input. We examine how to get the pathfinding system to properly control root-motion animated characters, and how to make sure our characters can interact with physics objects properly. This whole section takes about two days to complete, and serves as a solid foundation of knowledge for building character-based games in Unity.

Simulation customers often want to build applications for training purposes themselves, and the individual requirements in the Sim field vary so much that there’s no one-size-fits-all training program. Their goals can range from small mobile applications showing how to maintain a piece of equipment, to virtual reality workplace safety training, to ocean-going container ship simulation, and the training I put together for each customer attempts to meet these needs, giving them the understanding they require to make the best use of our tools.

One project I use for Sim customers begins with a model of a stapler. I show the trainees how to start with the bare 3D assets, and build up an interactive training application which allows an end user to progress through the maintenance steps. Obviously the point here is not to teach how to use a stapler! – what the trainees learn are the skills required to build whatever kind of equipment-based training applications they need.

The videos below show a broader cross-section of the content of training we’ve delivered so far to customers.

If you want to learn more about Unity and want training, contact your account manager to find out more.

Unity Training – Basic

Unity Training – Games Focus

Unity Training – Sim Focus

1. Ryan R. Johnson Producer Actor

July 26, 2013 at 5:19 am /

The consumerat presentcan determineexactly what it would like for entertainment, certainly not the leading studios and representatives. As you add to that distribution world wide web news web-sites, from rumor to complete movies. This is a totally new planet. A lot of it really good, some not.

2. jeremy jenkins

July 11, 2013 at 3:07 am /

It’s probably a little old but Sue Blackman has an excellent series posted on Lynda.com for those getting into Unity here: http://www.lynda.com/Unity-3D-tutorials/Unity-3D-35-Essential-Training/96677-2.html

Although it’s great to get you going – nothing will ever compare to having instructor led 1 on 1 training. That’s essentially like plugging Neo into the Matrix to learn kung-fu for the first time :)

3. Bryson Jack

May 22, 2013 at 4:44 pm /

Another vote for some DVD training on all of this stuff!

4. pixnlove

May 16, 2013 at 2:34 pm /

This is exactly the sort of projects/Video that should be used in the tutorial sections of the sites.
    Like others mentioned previously I would more than happy to pay for resources like these.

5. Chris

May 14, 2013 at 1:38 pm /

I’d be happy if you guys just recorded the online trainings that you offer from time to time. While I can’t attend these during the day (like you had one today), I can definitely watch one of these over a few days during my free time when I’m not at my day job. Seriously. I’d be so thrilled to be able to watch those even though they are normally 4 hours long (or so).

6. Duck

May 14, 2013 at 1:03 pm /

Hi All. I’d like to add that we’re in the process of producing more and more material for the Learn section of our site, much of which is video-based, however there’s a distinction between our web-based Learn content and the training described here. This training is delivered in-person over a number of days, usually at the customer’s office or a training venue, and as such is a very different experience and not one that could be quickly or easily put to DVD.

@Joe – If you’re interested in finding out more, drop your account manager at Unity a line. If you don’t know who that is, just write to sales@unity3d.com.

@Indy – We’re working on all the things! We have people delivering training in-person (as described above), and at the same time, other people are working hard producing the tutorial videos for the intermediate and advanced categories in the Learn area. It’s great to hear you’re eager for the advanced stuff – we’ll put it up as soon as we can.

7. arman

May 14, 2013 at 12:37 pm /

dvd and online store to download videos , look great !

8. Gianluca

May 14, 2013 at 11:30 am /

Me too i hope Unity release this in deep training as DVD to be purchased.

9. Indy

May 14, 2013 at 10:20 am /

Unity, I don’t understand why do you boast about such a great advanced video materials while Intermediate and Advanced difficulties at http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules are empty.

10. Mauricio

May 14, 2013 at 9:43 am /

It would be great if we could buy this training as videos.

11. Joe Williamsen

May 14, 2013 at 8:52 am /

This is great stuff – I’d love to get this training – but how does a small shop (less than 5 people) manage to do that? Will this ever be made available as videos/DVD’s that can be purchased?