Commercial success with Unity’s free technology and tools

May 28, 2013 in Community by

We recently chatted with a couple of indie customers who released successful commercial content with the free version of Unity and the Basic mobile publishing tools that are now also available without charge. At a time when they were starting their studios and/or learning how to use Unity, they gained a powerful advantage with Unity’s intuitive, robust and stable technology.

Frostnova in Estonia and Russia-based CarX Technologies are both small studios founded by developers who turned their much-loved hobbies into their work. “We do this work because we can’t help but do it,” says Anatoly Scherbak, CEO of CarX Technologies, creators of the CarX driving simulator (see screen shot below).“CarX is built on our twin passions of race car driving and developing a car physics engine, so it’s the perfect synergy.”

The original CarX demo was made in another engine. However, potential customers soon began asking the team when it would be available in Unity. An existing customer helped port the CarX demo to the free version of Unity and the studio began selling more licenses. Currently Anatoly and his team use Unity Pro, and they recently ported a high-quality mobile version of CarX with Unity’s now free iOS publishing tools. The demo was released last week on the App Store and has already had 200,000 downloads.

“Unity provides fantastic value,” says Anatoly. “It’s low-cost technology that can support a AAA driving simulator on different platforms. That’s a pretty amazing product.”

Mikk Melder and some friends formed Frostnova after deciding they wanted to build an MMO that “would give players real-life value.” In November 2012 Frostnova released the beta version of their children’s MMO, (see screenshot below) built entirely in the free version of Unity.

“We got 70-80% of the features we needed for the MMO with the free version of Unity,” he says. “We also got awesome support from Unity along the way, even though we were free users.”

The game, titled “Ennemuistne” incorporates Estonia’s culture both in its looks and the activities players can participate in. The MMO won in the category of e-culture in Estonia’s Best E-Service 2013 nation-wide contest, and Frostnova was featured in this recent BBC report.

Today Mikk and his team are in the midst of developing their first mobile game for the Android platform.

“The Android toolset (now included in the free version of Unity) is a really powerful option. We’ve been able to complete about 90% of the project with it. The scaling for different devices is done, the core game play is done, we created some good special effects. It gave us the chance to get our game to a near-release phase so that we could test it on different devices, test it with friends and get good feedback,” says Mikk.

Just like CarX Technologies, Frostnova will soon start developing with Unity Pro. But Mikk says that developing their first projects with Unity’s free tools has only been a benefit.

“We met Oleg (Unity evangelist Oleg Pridiuk) just a few months after we started working on our MMO, and he gave us some really useful advice. He told us to make our game first, get something good up and running and then go with Unity Pro after we’d had some success. And that’s what we’ve done, and now we’re ready to make a larger investment.”

Gustavo
28 May 2013, 7:28 am

Congratulations guys, really, you changed the way the world make games. I’m proud of being a Unity user.

arman
28 May 2013, 9:28 am

tanx man

Luis rods
28 May 2013, 9:35 am

I have a dream to make a video game similar to Tokyo extreme racer, and Free to play games

Matthias Kriwan
28 May 2013, 9:53 am

I´m proud like GUSTAVO, Uniy is the best Gaming-Engine! I´m 13 Years old and I can create some Games with very nice Graphics…I work with Blender, Photoshop and with GIMP. Unity changed my life!

29 May 2013, 1:00 am

I Still remember the sleepless night which unity free released

Amr
29 May 2013, 2:03 am

Unity is a great gaming-engine and I’m proud of being a unity user .
Unity helps me greatly to achieve my dreams in Game Developement .
Thank you .

Ricardo
29 May 2013, 5:34 pm

I remember when I tried to learn how to program using C++ when I was 15 (And little programming knowledge except Pascal) and the experience was terrible so I didn’t archive the dream of make my own games. But now with Unity the dream is closer than even before and with an easier tool. Thank Guys

Phong Yew Tong
29 May 2013, 8:59 pm

Thanks Unity for everything, best tool for making games!

29 May 2013, 11:47 pm

congratulations you changed the technology of make games I like it a lot.

koblavi
30 May 2013, 5:02 am

The day I discovered unity back in 2008. I knew, I loved the tool after just seeing the splash screen (imo, I think we’ve gotten progressively worse at making those splash screens :-)). I knew how to use this before reading the documentation. Unity is one of the very few software that have achieved this equilibrium where neither the beginner or advanced use feels underserved. UT stays true to the vision of democratizing game development with every release and every announcement. It’s not perfect, But it certainly is the best option out there!

Proud to be a unity user

By the way, can the admin please get rid of this: LIVE CAMS 30 May 2013, 1:37 am

Dave
1 Jun 2013, 6:23 am

Hi just wanted to add another positive comment about Unity :) i have since 2010 used (a terrible game engine!) Torque3D but last year i chose to make the BIG step of going over to Unity3D…
I must say that today in under one year i have come extremely further with my project than i ever would have bye this time with Torque!!! Unity is THE best solution for game developers i have never thought i would get this far with my game but thanks to Unity it has been a huge success!

Thanks Unity Technologies for making my dream come true :D