Unity Native 2D Tools

August 28, 2013 in Technology

As part of our Unity 4.3 announcement here at Unite ’13, we’re thrilled to show off our native support for 2D development. Our users have been making 2D games for many years at this stage, and we felt it was about time we stepped up and acknowledged that fact, and brought native support for Sprites and related 2D workflows to Unity.

With the knowledge that Unity users love making 2D games in Unity – evidenced by some incredible titles (see BattleHeart, Tumbledrop, Ski Safari, Bad Piggies, Year Walk, to name but a few) as well as some fantastic tools in our Asset Store – we decided to look at how to make the Unity workflow you already know and better support 2D. In future you’ll see a lot more in these tools, but as part of the first release you can expect features such as -

• New Sprite type, with an editor that will auto slice your 2D graphics for you
  • Upgraded Animation window with Dopesheet style view and quicker parameter animation
  • Integration with the Animator to easily create states for 2D animated characters
  • An integrated 2D physics engine with rigidbodies, colliders, joints

We have also created a demo project to show our beta users how they can make a game with these new tools. Our Learn team has created this in much the same way we expect users to use our 3D tools, so we hope it’ll be both familiar and reassuring to those wondering how these 2D workflows make sense in a 3D engine.

unity 2d game development

We look forward to seeing what you create with these new tools and workflows in Unity, have fun!

1. phucanh

November 19, 2013 at 8:52 am /

It is great if there are some tutorial making game in 2D. I love making game 2D with cocos2dx but I fall in love with your tool with 3D, and now it support 2D, totally worth its

2. Maksim Shamihulau

November 6, 2013 at 7:46 am /

Any update on unity 2d tools ?

3. Rodolfo Rubens

October 31, 2013 at 10:11 pm /

Oh God, wheeeen?

4. Mahan

October 30, 2013 at 10:25 pm /

I guess this will blow every kind of 2d software that is around. You’ve done a great job.

5. Rafael Rivera

October 30, 2013 at 12:20 am /

Like the others, I am eager to start using the Unity native 2D tools. Does anyone have a rough list of Unity features that are important to 2D-only workflow? Would be great to get a head start.

6. Googol

October 29, 2013 at 12:53 pm /

Feel so blue and sad for keeping waiting 4.3 from Aug. as waiting to give a birth to a son.
    Oh, God, pleaseeeeeee give the team more power to let it be ready ASAP. It’s so burned in my heart, I want to do my new project with it.

7. Will Goldstone

October 25, 2013 at 4:10 pm /

Siegfried! you need it? well why didn’t you say so! In that case, the release is the… nah I’m just messing with you. Still when its ready.

8. Siegfried

October 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm /

what is the release day of 4.3? I need it ;)

9. Alex

October 24, 2013 at 9:49 am /

Everyday i’m coming back here to find a release date announcement for 4.3 and the massive 2D support!

10. Eduardo Hertz

October 24, 2013 at 4:24 am /

Is there a release date for 4.3?

11. BrantMan

October 19, 2013 at 1:26 am /

Salivating in anticipation of this release. Is there any way I could join in on beta testing?

12. Bermuda

October 14, 2013 at 3:28 am /

Fantastic. I cnt wait to try this out ><

13. Will Goldstone

October 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm /

It’ll be ready when its ready folks! calm yourselves :D

@NGOAHO91 Unity 1 supported isometric games, just set camera to orthographic mode! But don’t download that, get 4.2.2, its way better ;)

14. ngoaho91

October 11, 2013 at 4:21 pm /

will the new version support isometric game??? i really want it.

15. Zakstudio

October 11, 2013 at 4:01 pm /

Can we have the documentation before the 4.3 release?

16. Diego

October 11, 2013 at 7:10 am /

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? [/donkey]
    Seriously though, is there any rough estimate of a release date? this year?

17. risfi

October 9, 2013 at 2:12 am /

well,this is a great feature,most 2D developers are expect on it,so come on!

18. unityplanner

October 8, 2013 at 2:30 pm /

@WILL GOLDSTONE

Thank you for your efforts . Tutorial is very very important in Unity
    Unity engine is made ​​to be easy to use for anyone

For non-English speaking people English subtitles are very important

Now if I say my hope Intermediate Scripting and Project #01: Stealth subtitles are required

19. Will Goldstone

October 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm /

@UNITY PLANNER ! we have subtitles for most of our tutorials, just enable them in the player. For the rest, these are currently being written.

20. unityplanner

October 8, 2013 at 8:54 am /

@WILL GOLDSTONE

Unity is a game engine for the world
    Tutorial videos will need English subtitles for world developers
    please~

21. Fernando Madruga

October 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm /

Any date estimation? Major blocks, like, less than 1 month, before/after Xmas, something?

22. TekuStudios

October 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm /

@WILL With the new 2D framework for Unity 4.3, I’ve seen that there’s a rather important feature missing in the info Unity has released.

Let’s say that a have a sprite animation for a 2D character, and I want him to have a gun following its hand (with a very complex animation), or something like picking up an item and have it following the hand until it’s within the character’s backpack. It would take some serious work to get that up and running, since there’s no way to achieve something like that in Unity through the editor. Take a look on how 2DToolkit deals with this:

I think that it is a very clever solution, and would be highly appreciated if Unity included something similar in their next releases, since it would only benefit the workflow. Are there any plans on developing something like this?

23. Will Goldstone

October 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm /

@Sarah Lupo – yes we’ll be making a guide for beginners that covers how our 2D demo is built, then tutorials after this.

24. Tomas

October 3, 2013 at 9:08 am /

@KMH840414: It’s not an expensive 2D tool because 2D features are in the Free version!

25. Benjamin David

October 2, 2013 at 7:48 am /

This is great. I’ve been waiting for this for so long. Thank you Unity3D team for this amazing tool.

26. kmh840414

October 2, 2013 at 12:11 am /

It’s an expensive 2D tool

27. Viktor Bogdanov

October 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm /

Now when Apple has introduced their fully-featured 2D engine Sprite Kit in iOS 7, do you guys feel you’ll lose a substantial share of 2D games to Apple?

28. Zeda

October 1, 2013 at 10:17 am /

When i get this amazing 4.3 ver unity? I need this sooooooooooooooooooo much. Anyone knows?

29. Raeyl

October 1, 2013 at 9:55 am /

That’s awesome !
    Is there a chance that it comes out before Xmas ?

30. FragenMann

October 1, 2013 at 8:23 am /

Will the 2d sprites support multiple resolutions (ex @1x, @2x, @4x)?

31. Kurtis

September 30, 2013 at 7:47 pm /

THIS IS TORTURE!!!! cant wait till 4.3 comes out!!!

32. haim

September 30, 2013 at 7:41 pm /

any word about the new GUI system? texture atlas for 3D mesh?
    also when can we expect 4.3 out of beta?

33. Sandro

September 30, 2013 at 6:03 pm /

These updates look awesome! One worry through.
    Will these sprites be optimized for mobile devices? specifically how mobiles handle lot of alpha materials badly, I’m worried if it will make sense to build mobile games with these system.

34. yaxinhoo

September 29, 2013 at 4:07 am /

Awesome, i whould like to try, but where can i donwoal the native 2d tools ?

35. SarahLupo

September 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm /

Hi staff. Sorry for bad english :)

This is a great news. The news i’m awaiting for to pass from Flash to Unity. But… since, for now, i’m only interested in developing 2d games, there will be a specific guide for those are entering for the first time the Unity world to develop in 2D?

Ty in advance :)

36. imac repair service

September 27, 2013 at 7:29 pm /

Awesome things in this article. Now i’m able to visit your post. Thank you lots using this program . having a look forward to the touch an individual. Would you like to be sure to decrease us a e-mail?

37. PiotrZ

September 24, 2013 at 11:03 am /

This is great news. However, The 3d workflow is not so easy to learn and different comparing to 2d workflow.

Instead expanding features of existing 3d tools, you should create separate one – Unity2d, focused on 2d games.

For example, look to YoYo’s GameMaker. It’s UI may look a little odd, but its workflow is really simple to grasp and focused on creating 2d experience fast and easy way.

I’d like to see power of Unity with GameMaker workflow.

38. Abhijeet Goel

September 23, 2013 at 7:26 am /

Plzz release it.. now.. now. plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

39. Evansbsr

September 22, 2013 at 3:42 pm /

I hope the Unity2D sprite workflow will b as smooth as it is working with 2D toolkit (not having to worry about needless 3D stuff is a BIG improvement)

40. Evansbsr

September 22, 2013 at 3:37 pm /

Finally!!!! This is the best news I’ve heard in a while! I was just starting to consider switching to another game engine but it looks like I’ll b sticking with Unity…

Please release it as soon as possible!!!!

41. Guardian

September 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm /

I hope they add.

- Orthogonal, isometric and staggered tilemaps.
    - UI tools.

42. Michael A.

September 20, 2013 at 10:37 pm /

When will we get proper UI support in Unity? I love the ideas behind Unity, and Unity2D is one step closer to making this everything I’d dream of, but as long as the framework cannot handle complex UI (relative layouts, scrollers, table layouts, spinners, etc), it remains not worthwhile for my purposes.

43. Darkhog

September 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm /

Few question:

1. Will you be able to combine 3d models with 2d sprites?
    2. Will there be support for tilemaps (see e.g. RPG Maker for example) and not just freeform sprites?
    3. When you add support for damn animated textures?

44. Gutem

September 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm /

Still waiting for the Linux version… ¬¬

45. Karim

September 12, 2013 at 12:56 am /

how will the lighting engine work to be able to blend seamlessly together 2d and 3d ?

46. Cristian

September 11, 2013 at 5:47 pm /

This is super super cool and I’m very happy about that announcement. You did an awesome work and I can’t really wait to try this out.

47. beril

September 9, 2013 at 1:38 pm /

cool!!!!

48. René

September 9, 2013 at 8:12 am /

Really looking forward to this!

49. Erick

September 7, 2013 at 1:25 am /

@Stephen: You can set the resolution through script like always.

And as for 2.5D components, will you be able to call 3D functions? IE sprite stretch and screw? I was thinking of doing a console styled RPG.

50. Stephen

September 6, 2013 at 11:17 pm /

How will different resolution (hd/sd) be supported via 2d support in 4.3?

51. Awesome

September 6, 2013 at 4:06 pm /

You guys are awesome… thanks for hard work!

52. Kims

September 6, 2013 at 10:54 am /

Very good! I’m looking forward to seeing this quickly…

53. JPNINJA

September 5, 2013 at 11:36 pm /

I want to create the game in this tool as soon as possible.
    Thank you for your great tool’s UT!

54. Santosh Khanal

September 5, 2013 at 9:27 pm /

Can’t wait to try out the new release. Was starting to download the new version 4.2.1 but after seeing this, will wait till the next release.

55. Torbach

September 5, 2013 at 7:01 am /

How well will the workflow integrate with Mecanim? I create a great deal of traditional animation vFX and currently use hybrids of Shuriken and Legacy, neither of which allow me to carefully track and time frame by frame with Mecanim.

Atlas batching, trimmed textures and pivot point control are all crucial but will I be able to author a single mesh that has a lightning bolt animation so that it launches from a Mecanim characters sword into its hand without the extensive technical direction currently needed?

Something like Shurikens render “Mesh” feature which currently does not allow sprite sheets to animate…

I imagine creating a seamless water animation of 12 frames, projected onto a curved mesh, distorted UVs for slow-in and slow-out texture scrolling + vertex alpha on the edges, while transforming, scaling and rotating to track perfectly between characters hands during an idle spell motion. I’d never need to open the character animation in Maya to try to get an approximate location for the keyframes and do it all while it can favor (pivot) towards camera along selected axis to maintain as much visual estate as possible.

So optimized! flawlessly tracks the animators key frames without our TD and Engineers attention…
    dream on?

56. Jeff Ward

September 4, 2013 at 7:54 pm /

As a Flash dev, this sounds cool… But the major thing that’s still holding me back is a proper developer’s workflow. As long as step 1 is “open our artist-centric GUI, click this component and drag it over blah blah blah”, you’ve instantly lost a portion of your potential audience. Flash has a much broader appeal with its animation tool (Flash Pro), a developer IDE (Flash Builder), third-party workflows (like Haxe or FlashDevelop), and command-line SDKs for hardcore coders like myself. One can create a game or app entirely from any of those sources, or from a combination of them. It’s quite a lovely little confluence of code+art.

57. Joel Dillingham

September 4, 2013 at 1:45 am /

Is there a release date?

58. koblavi

September 3, 2013 at 8:54 pm /

The final nail to the flash coffin!! Good work team.
    Now you’re officially the de facto game engine for Mobile Development!

59. modernup

September 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm /

I’m needing for Unity 4.3. How do i get beta version?
    I create 2d-game use of Unity.
    You can look my

60. Peter Dwyer

September 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm /

How do I get onto this beta? I have several 2D games that I am working on using standard Unity but, it sounds like this 2D system and the new GUI system would make that job infinitely easier.

61. Steyr C.

September 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm /

This is amazing and make Unity more appealing for 2d game dev.

Can’t wait for the release

62. Storm

September 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm /

OMFG! Can’t wait to take unity 4.3!

Nice job guys!

63. Kris

September 2, 2013 at 6:06 am /

NGUi creator guys is hired by Unity so we expect better and enhanced GUI, can’t wait for this one

64. PETER

September 1, 2013 at 7:25 pm /

What happens if 2 objects of the same layers were to overlap (due to a lack of colliders or something)?

65. Chris Shirrell

September 1, 2013 at 7:03 pm /

So this will work well as the new gui interface right?

66. Corey Skiffington

September 1, 2013 at 3:44 pm /

Any chance of access to the Script Documentation files for 4.3 so we can get a head start on looking threw the new classes and commands for the 2D stuff? I’d like to see what I need to do to migrate my TiledMap importing classes to the new format and if any classes need to be renamed for compatibility.
    If not a list of the new class names at least would be handy. (Or are they all in new namespace(s) ? )

67. Lee Comstock

September 1, 2013 at 10:08 am /

2D water was mentioned by another commenter, I think the New Super Mario Bros games are a good example of 2D water, it’s wavy and if you jump in or out of the water the waves react to it.

68. Bizziboi

September 1, 2013 at 9:46 am /

Given that this will not support line drawing, I assume it also doesn’t support custom shapes (I tend to generate procedural level graphics)?
    Will the 2D physics engine at least support this?

And, is the physics really box2d? That would be a bit of a shame, given that it has some very weird behavior like not giving the real normal at a collision, and true one way platforms are relatively nasty to implement (mostly because of the normal issue I’d say).

Regardless, it’ll beat having to use physx for 2d physics.

Looking forward to seeing it live :o)

69. Rodrigo Abreu

September 1, 2013 at 8:53 am /

Now the most important, when will this masterpiece come out?
    Do you guys already have a release date to this new Unity’s version?

70. KeepTrying

September 1, 2013 at 7:01 am /

Awesome ._.

71. Sajid Farooq

August 31, 2013 at 5:26 pm /

Very good news indeed. Now we just need a decent GUI system…

72. Ivane

August 31, 2013 at 2:39 pm /

As always, new features with real value!!!

Neat!!!

73. Free Compass

August 31, 2013 at 1:14 pm /

I have a question about physics system. the Shuriken is based on Physx. are you sure it still compatible with Box2D ?

74. guest

August 31, 2013 at 8:44 am /

2d with 3d tool… small lib is better and maybe faster

75. MD Phillips Productions

August 31, 2013 at 7:23 am /

Nice to see that the Unity roadmap is in sync with the communities needs, it’s a great platform and it just keeps getting better! Keep up the good work!!

76. Taylor Ringo

August 31, 2013 at 6:59 am /

Hey will therw be a learn tutorial for that 2D demo? Also will the scene editor become availble in 4.3?

77. Rirath

August 31, 2013 at 12:38 am /

I’ve been waiting to get into Unity, and with the Oculus Rift coming up I’ve been planning on jumping in for some time now – but in the meantime I’ve been doing 2D game development in Game Maker Studio. I’ve got to say, once this update hits, I’m almost certainly going to switch immediately!

Way to stay on top of things guys, Unity is looking better and better all the time. Thanks for supporting where the community wants to go, rather than saying “Our tools, our rules”.

78. Tomas Jakubauskas

August 31, 2013 at 12:03 am /

@LEECOMSTOCK: Mecanim state machines use animation clips which can now change sprite references, so yes.
    Lighting system can be hooked up as sprites are simple meshes in the end. You only need a shader which outputs a normal vector, as we don’t do it by default.
    Emissive maps means rendering a sprite with two textures and we will not have support for this in 4.3.
    As for masks – we’ve added stencil access recently which can be used to mimic Flash’s masking.

79. Samuel Morais

August 30, 2013 at 8:52 pm /

Very nice! Thank you again.

80. Lee Comstock

August 30, 2013 at 6:25 pm /

Sweeeet!

As a Flash game developer that’s also been using Unity this is definitely enticing me to switch. Seems like it’s easy to make my animations in Flash and then get them into Unity, and I take it spritesheet animated characters use mecanim state machines as well?

Can you use lighting, like point lights with this? Say you’re in a dark cave with torches lighting up the area. And can the sprites have emissive maps?

One thing that would be awesome would be the ability to use masks like in Flash.

81. Ken Ichi

August 30, 2013 at 6:02 pm /

Love you GUYS!

82. Andrea Monzini

August 30, 2013 at 11:44 am /

Amazing !
    The animation system will support skeletal animations too?

83. swapnil

August 30, 2013 at 9:22 am /

my question is that .is it can be used for j2me game development.

84. Alex

August 30, 2013 at 8:01 am /

Amazing work you guys! Thank you for giving us these brilliant tools.

85. fierceblaze

August 30, 2013 at 6:20 am /

My very first Android game “Fast Drop” was a 2D game created with Unity. I purchased 2D Toolkit, Uni2D and NGui and never used them. It was more work trying to get updated tuts and docs from those guys than it was worth.

This is a big step in the right direction for Unity no matter how you look at it. I wasted so much time and money on Unity 2D tools and my next two games are being made in Corona because it was so much easier to learn. Now hopefully I can come back to Unity and stay with it.

86. GameDevNerd

August 30, 2013 at 3:41 am /

Calm down, guys. They “only” implemented sprite-bitmap based stuff. As long as they don´t implement real vector-drawings (We’re not adding any functionality for line drawing in 4.3) it isn´t a soo hot update. Look at the Rage-Spline plugin: http://ragespline.com/ . This is the real deal ! imho.

Of course, it´s the right direction. Evolutionary, not revolutionary.

87. Mr.ProfessorDoctorTroll

August 30, 2013 at 2:21 am /

Ok, since you are making this, PLEASE, integrate 2D ragdolls. I tried making some in flash, but it is just terrible. And yes it is possible I have seen some demos of people who made 2D ragdolls. And with ragdolls, that means…… SKELETONS! BONES! Better make them. Anyways, your engine is one of the best that I have used in a while now. Keep it up!!!!!

88. stimarco

August 30, 2013 at 12:48 am /

Also: can I play with the beta? Can I? Can I? Huh? Can I? Please? Can I? Pretty please? Huh? Can I?

(etc.)

89. stimarco

August 30, 2013 at 12:48 am /

I’m gonna get 4.3 on yo’ ass!

Looks like my tutorial will be getting its rewrite once 4.3 hits. I can live without the new GUI… for now.

Ah yeah!

90. Artur Bernardo

August 29, 2013 at 11:51 pm /

Unity…. maybe I…. maybe I…. falling in love for you!

91. Ashley

August 29, 2013 at 10:07 pm /

Wow coming from a 2D animation background and just started learning Unity last week, this is brilliant timing. I know its a little while before it’s live, but wonderful to know its coming!

92. Laurent

August 29, 2013 at 9:38 pm /

This amazing thanks for acknowledging the whole 2d games community

93. David

August 29, 2013 at 9:21 pm /

How might one become involved with 4.3 Beta testing?? I would love to be able to learn the new systems ahead of time.

94. Tomas Jakubauskas

August 29, 2013 at 9:00 pm /

@LONEINDIE: what coordinate system do you have in mind?

95. Kurtis

August 29, 2013 at 8:58 pm /

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!! I have been waiting for some good 2d game development tools and here you guys read my mind and make it wonderfully!! thank you SOOOO much!!!

96. abeing

August 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm /

HEEEEELLLL YEAAAH!!!!

97. Rodrigo Abreu

August 29, 2013 at 7:19 pm /

Oh God can’t wait for that, it really seems awesome.
    Goodbye other 2D tools!!

98. Andre @PixelInteraction

August 29, 2013 at 6:37 pm /

Uhm! Fucking awesome! As of now we’re far in production using Uni2D, but our next title will be sure to use the native 2D support. right on guys! Loving it!

99. LoneIndie

August 29, 2013 at 6:22 pm /

WIll you also change the coordinate system ? It would be great if it is similar to the one Cocos2d-X is using..

100. Sebastian

August 29, 2013 at 5:06 pm /

OMG god bless you guys. I’m absolutely stoked by this new development from Unity!!!! You guys are seriously amazing.

101. Tomas Jakubauskas

August 29, 2013 at 3:22 pm /

@INDY: Yes, the newly added 2D features work with our discontinued Flash product.
    @CHRIS: 2D water? Can you describe what that is?
    @RAMESH: We’re not adding any functionality for line drawing in 4.3.

102. Tomas Jakubauskas

August 29, 2013 at 3:16 pm /

@SAVE: SpriteRenderer component works with dynamic batching, so the same rules apply: match the material and the texture to get one draw call.

103. Save

August 29, 2013 at 1:04 pm /

This sounds exciting, you’re doing precisely the right thing. I’m wondering how you handle draw calls with this technique? – For instance the main character is separated into several objects. Integrating a sprite manager as well?

104. mickey

August 29, 2013 at 1:01 pm /

wow looks awsome, gunna have to give this a go when its released maybe do a mappack in my 3d game in 2d just to have a proper go with it

105. Szymon

August 29, 2013 at 12:19 pm /

How can we try this beta project you speak of? I am about to start new 2D project and was just going to buy 2D Toolkit to get things going faster (those guys must be rather unhappy now :P)

106. Chris

August 29, 2013 at 11:59 am /

What about 2D water?

107. Rolando

August 29, 2013 at 11:47 am /

Only closed BETA???? I would really love to start playing with these new tools…

108. Aras Pranckevičius

August 29, 2013 at 11:37 am /

@JT: in 4.3 Mecanim can animate anything (component values, script properties etc.)

109. Karta

August 29, 2013 at 11:36 am /

This is great! I’m starting a 2d game project and I would like to try the 4.3 beta, how can I join the beta testing group?

110. farhan

August 29, 2013 at 11:13 am /

roll over game maker studio its time for unity to take over all 2d game development!

111. Indy

August 29, 2013 at 11:08 am /

Will it be possible to export “2D Projects” to Flash?

112. Niall O'Brien

August 29, 2013 at 10:44 am /

@RIEF: They’re 3D games with a fixed camera.

113. JT

August 29, 2013 at 10:28 am /

At 0:44 it shows mecanim controlling the animation states for sprite animations. Has Mecanim also been changed to do 2D sprite animation or are you manually starting/stopping animations through Mecanim’s callback functions?

114. Khurram

August 29, 2013 at 10:27 am /

Great initiative by Unity. We have been using 2D Toolkit for making 2D Games in Unity. Looks like great initiative

115. Kilian

August 29, 2013 at 10:11 am /

This is a very nice and long awaited addition to Unity.
    A real killer feature for future would be some tilemap support for this.
    Favorable the Tiled / TMX (or JSON) format.

116. Rasmus

August 29, 2013 at 10:08 am /

With 4.2 i have experienced that the asset store launcher is very buggy, i can download one asset then i have to restart the editor, btw awesome new features :D

117. Rief

August 29, 2013 at 10:02 am /

Awesome, but what about Games in 2.5D? Like Klonoa on the Wii or Pandemonium on PSX?

118. Adam

August 29, 2013 at 10:00 am /

UNITY JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER… UNITY FOR LIKE \m/

119. y_piyo

August 29, 2013 at 9:30 am /

(There are NGUI but) What are some of the new GUI system?

120. AaronC

August 29, 2013 at 8:55 am /

Very cool guys, very cool!

121. grimmwerks

August 29, 2013 at 8:42 am /

And here I was about to purchase Uni2D. Very curious about how this compares to it.

122. Ramesh

August 29, 2013 at 8:38 am /

You guys are really awesome,
    This extension is great help to many developers.
    Expecting some cool 2D line drawing APIs in it.

123. Maciej Kozlowski

August 29, 2013 at 8:28 am /

Finally! I was so tired of working with third party components that sometimes had problem with animation sheets, sometimes had different offsets of textures on different platforms. I absolutely love Unity3D, but I also like making 2D games. Jumping through all the hoops was annoying. Good job, you guys!

124. Tomas Jakubauskas

August 29, 2013 at 8:25 am /

@KAI WEGNER: 4.3 just entered beta, so we can only guesstimate when it will be ready to ship.
    @AARON: we have a Pixels-To-Units property which lets you map different textures sizes to meshes of the same sizes.
    @PIXNLOVE: you can use Shuriken for both 2d and 3d particle effects. There’s really no difference.
    @IMAGINARYHUMAN: sprite editor supports slicing a texture into a grid of sprites. That’s how you define a set of rectangle sprites for tile maps. Creating a tile map is a task we don’t handle for you in 4.3.
    @ZIRUN: you get early access if you’re on the beta testing group.

125. Tom

August 29, 2013 at 8:22 am /

Create stuff! So, I am just wondering…will there also be some kind of tileset editor?

126. Gregory Booth

August 29, 2013 at 7:53 am /

UT really gives a lot!

Thanks for the hard work!

127. Zirun

August 29, 2013 at 7:44 am /

Hello, I am working on a 2D game in Unity3D, and Im just getting into the documentation and runtime classes, and I have a question.
    Will we be able to have access to the things like the runtime classes for the official 2D support ahead of time?

128. Aras Pranckevičius

August 29, 2013 at 7:14 am /

@CSTUNNER: yeah, Unity 4.2.1 should be out any time now.

129. punchi

August 29, 2013 at 5:27 am /

What a great feature!!! :D I was just reading and trying to decide between the already 2D extensions but now I’ll wait for this free 2D option =)

130. ImaginaryHuman

August 29, 2013 at 4:08 am /

Looks cool, nice integration with Unity editor etc… lots of good features. No `tilemap` support/background animations?. . maybe in a future version?

131. CStunner

August 29, 2013 at 3:32 am /

Will 4.3 be the next release WITH the 4.2 crash fixes? Or will there be a pre 4.3 release with 4.2 crash fixes?

BTW, very nice tools every time, UT is progressing not in steps but in leaps.

132. pixnlove

August 29, 2013 at 2:57 am /

2D physics engine sounds really really good, so does the layer and sprite sheet tools
    Well I think it is about time I move to Unity 4 now.
    When will I be able to play with these new tools?

Next on the wish list:
    1. Efficient 2D particles Systems.
    2. Native and efficient SVG import.
    3. Standard 2D Asset inluding standard 2D shaders and effects.

133. Aaron

August 29, 2013 at 2:57 am /

This could be great. I was just considering Unity my next project and had discovered 2dToolKit and was thinking of using that.

The real big thing I need however is resolution/device independence. I’m not sure if this 2d Framework (Or unity in general) supports that well. I need to have textures of the right resolution loaded depending on the device resolution and I need to be able to work in one world space that auto scales.

134. Gustavo B

August 29, 2013 at 2:34 am /

Hey Will, any prevision about 4.3 release date? I don´t want to be boring, but showing us these feature and say “wait for next release” is torture. :p

135. Beezir

August 29, 2013 at 2:16 am /

This is really cool guys, I’ve been looking forward to something like this for a long time.

136. Matthew Miner

August 29, 2013 at 1:26 am /

This announcement is really exciting. Handling 2D physics and avoiding the funky things that happen when trying to coerce 3D physics to 2D will make development much simpler, and makes Unity a no-brainer for almost every game type. The extra optimizations demoed like auto-atlasing make it all the better. Great work; can’t wait for 4.3′s release.

137. Will Goldstone

August 29, 2013 at 1:15 am /

Good news for you! This is exactly what is shown in the video! See the part where the swan is animated – all that is happening here is that we automate the frames being swapped each keyframe.

138. funshark

August 29, 2013 at 12:53 am /

that’s a WONDERFUL NEW! seriously guys, you rox!
    Now, all I want to know, it’s if we can swap texture during animation, that would be perfect!

139. elmortem

August 29, 2013 at 12:36 am /

When you make a virtual controller support as standard Input? In order not to rewrite other people’s scripts for use on mobile platforms?

140. Kai Wegner

August 29, 2013 at 12:35 am /

Can’t wait to get my hands on the new version. When will it be released? Sadly we can’t use a beta for production…