Let’s Get Serious – Call for Non-game Unity Projects

October 4, 2013 in Community by

While Unity is used heavily to create incredible games, it’s also being used to build some of the most interesting and dynamic applications outside of the entertainment space. Applications like this year’s Unite Award VizSim category nominees, including winner teamLabBody, have shown the intriguing and valuable ways that Unity is being used to inform as well as amuse.

Given the very wide range of industries currently using Unity, it’s impossible for us to keep track of all the creative non-game projects. That’s why we’re currently searching the globe for some of the most compelling virtual training, simulation, serious game and visualization content being made with Unity.  As we have done in years past, we want to highlight some of the most impressive non-game projects on our site and at trade shows throughout 2014, including a short demo reel.

If you’re working on (or know of) a project that fits in this description, we’d love to hear from you. Please send the following information to unitysim@unity3d.com.

• Title of project
  • Name of developer
  • Name of client (if applicable)
  • Link to video
  • Link to website

While it’s unlikely that we’ll be able to highlight every project sent our way, we’re interested to see what the community is working on.  Should your project be chosen we will be in touch with more information on the formatting requirements for our final montage. Please note that heavy preference is going to be given for visual polish and projects which communicate their function through “in-app” activities.  As a reference point please take a look at our 2011 and 2012 highlight reels.

Andrew Albertson
5 Oct 2013, 3:10 am

I’m in the planning phase of a major shift in the technical documentation I’m working on for a system on Navy destroyers (line drawings -> interactive 3d models). Your request has reinforced Unity3D as a possibility and I hope to have something for you next year.

Richard F
8 Oct 2013, 7:00 pm

Well, we wanted to use Unity3D, but because you made it impossible to add Unity into XAML, or WinForms, we got rid of the idea

9 Oct 2013, 2:50 am

im makeing a game

9 Oct 2013, 2:19 pm

It would be fairly simple to create applications with C# and javascript rather than a harder language like Objective-C or Java.

Rodrigo Abreu
10 Oct 2013, 6:18 am

Why is C# easier than Java?

Rodrigo Abreu
10 Oct 2013, 6:20 am

I’m planning on developing something based on music studies, using virtual instruments.

11 Oct 2013, 4:38 pm

What’s the deadline for submissions?

12 Oct 2013, 11:07 am

We are keeping an eye on the new 2d/gui features that would hopelly be introduced to Unity an then probably will move to Unity as our main develoment platform. So far we tested a few times an for what we do (mostly 2d business/presentation apps with some 3d) Unity felt like pushing square peg through the round hole, but hopefully that will change with some of the upcoming updates.
Any deadlines for competition?

VCCGeek
13 Oct 2013, 6:14 pm

I’m using Unity for quite an unlikely purpose: cross-platform development. We have a mix of Windows, MacOS and Linux workstations that all need the same software. It’s not a graphics-intensive thing, or really even that complicated a program. The engine is fairly simple, but the interface needs some sophistication, which means I would have to redo most of the development three times if I were to port the whole thing. Using Unity, I can develop it once and deploy it to all three platforms. No changes to code. As a one-man show, this capability is a God-send.

Oh, and in my spare time, I make simple games for fun. :)

16 Oct 2013, 10:31 pm

Hi, I started using Unity for my own hobby ideas recently – loving it by the way – during the day time I work for a process control company, I was looking at ideas for virtual plant duties, sometimes transmitters are located in hard to find places, but this would allow technicians to locate the deivce virtually, before going out and trying to locate it. I had been considering a Google Street View solution, up until I found out about unity. Also, once there, it might be nice to have a Google Glass style application with 3D break downs of devices and transmitters, will Unity support Google Glass? Sadly, no official plans for this, it is mainly stuff to play with in the evenings.

Chris
17 Oct 2013, 12:22 pm

Richard F, I have actually solved getting Unity scenes to display in pretty much any context, including XAML/WPF/WinForms etc.

The biggest issue with this idea is that many simulation companies (like mine) are not able to show their simulations to the public. But perhaps we’ll submit something that has been released already.

Jean
19 Oct 2013, 6:54 pm

I would like to know if unity can be used to create an inter active webpage where training videos can be streamed live and 3d models be manipulated by the user. It must also be able to be viewed on a pc as well as any mobile device (Smart phones though.

Bo Bo
21 Oct 2013, 4:02 pm

I have wished for this moment, Unity to go into fields other than game & interactive web content. I would mail my inspirations to unitysim@unity3d.com

25 Oct 2013, 8:30 am

UNity is a good as a game engine ..but probably not as much for maths computation.. looking to make a stock trading game on numbers .. might have to use something else

Harley Uruqhart
27 Oct 2013, 5:29 pm

I am simply one man i have been asked by friends for mine to produce a calculator that saves data, ie turns rules and has multiple tabs and resettable default values ,, i found this really easy to do begin with unity and the best thin is not one single image is needed to make it work some math simple logic and the unity engine made it quites simple to accomplish the console And the execute in edit mode is the best thing for me

29 Dec 2013, 10:29 pm

Will be augmenting a unity developed charting system for large data with the Leap Motion device making it easier for business units to see the data behind the visualizations presently being used in a more hands on way ( no pun intended ).