Come Learn with Learn

November 21, 2013 in Community by

So you’ve decided to download and check out this newfangled “Unity” thing. You open it up, create a project, and are presented with the Unity editor.  At this point you’re probably thinking to yourself, “OK, now what?” That’s where we come in. We are the Unity Learn team and our goal in this crazy, hectic world is to labor tirelessly to bring you the best content to learn from and utilize in your games. Of course, now you are probably thinking to yourself, “That’s an interesting claim, faceless-internet-article-writing-man, but certainly your content can’t help me. I make special games!”  Nay, I say to you. Our content can help anyone learn to use Unity to make all kinds of games. Just look at what we have to offer (the Learn portion of Unity’s website can be found at Unity3d.com/Learn).

Why Can’t I Hold All These Tutorials?

You like tutorials. We get that. That’s why we’ve made a bazillion of them and we keep adding more. We get that you’re too busy to read all sorts of words. That’s why our tutorials are video tutorials in stunning high definition! You never have to guess where an option is or what a button looks like. Just grab a bowl of popcorn and your favorite caffeinated beverage, queue up our videos, and follow along. You’ll be a pro in no time (warning: watching videos actually takes some time due to them not existing inside a black hole)!

We’ll Do It Live!

Come check our newest initiative: Live Training! That’s correct, come hang out with a real person as we teach concepts and answer questions in real time! Right now you’re thinking, “Blargpfpfpf” (that’s the sound of your brain exploding). Not only do we deliver content live, we actually really enjoy it! Come check out what we have scheduled. You can also watch past sessions to see just what you’re getting yourself into. We look forward to seeing you there. I mean you specifically, John (your name is probably not John, but if it is, I just blew your mind).

Antisocial Options

Perhaps you’re the type of person that prefers to drudge through tons of documentation. Never fear, we have that too. Chances are most of your questions and curiosities can be resolved simply by flipping through the posted articles and examples. So feel free to dive right in. There’s nothing wrong with being a lone wolf. We won’t tell anyone.

That’s What Friends Are For

It can be very frustrating when you have a specific question that no resources seem to address directly. Luckily, Unity has a fantastic community. While not directly controlled by the Learn team, it’s still on our page and so it will be mentioned here (and there’s nothing you can do about it). Stop and in say “Hi” to fellow Unity users in the forums. Also, swing by the Unity Answers section to ask specific questions and get an amazing level of help! We’re all in this together!

TL;DR (Too Long; Didn’t Read)

The Unity Learn team is a giant collection of superhuman awesome-sauce.  We are here to provide you with content and to lower the barrier to entry into game development. We recognise that you would rather make games than learn to make games, so let us expedite the process for you. Swing by our live sessions or check out our pre-recorded videos to start learning.

Got questions, comments, suggestions, snide remarks, or personal anecdotes? Hit us up on twitter:

@Unity3D

@mikegeig (That’s me!)

@willgoldstone (He’s like a British Ryan Gosling)

@theantranch (a.k.a Little Angel)

@robotduck (He is an actual duck… no kidding)

@rodulator (Scottish and angry, best leave him alone)

Now go and make games. We expect to see progress!

Indy
21 Nov 2013, 9:25 pm

And how long “Difficulty : Advanced” will be empty?

John
22 Nov 2013, 10:46 am

Do you have transcriptions or text versions of the tutorials?

I ask because I read much faster than video; most video tutorials of an hour, have less than 10 minutes of actual content, and videos are much harder to easily skip back and forward on. I do that a lot when directly working on code from a tutorial or article. My preferred learning style is reading/action.

unityplanner
22 Nov 2013, 11:37 am

Please put the subtitles in the video
Your efforts will have 10 times the effect.

Kui
22 Nov 2013, 12:01 pm

I agree with INDY.
All nice and good. But Beginner Animation is loooong overdue for example. I know that there are tons of video resources out there and I even have a couple of books. But the tutorials section announced by Will back then was intended to give a structured (!) learning path, which was a brilliant idea, but poorly executed. @Will: Correct me if I´m wrong, but your own website dedicated to learning unity was much more active before you became part of the team, in charge for the official training section. Your turn.

Mike Geig
22 Nov 2013, 2:20 pm

@INDY and @KUI – Yep, we are working on it I assure you. The whole team is making content every day. It will be done, but these things take time. We want these sections to be done as much as you do.

@UNITYPLANNER and @JOHN – I believe we are working to get subtitles added to the videos. I’m not sure, but it may be possible to get the transcriptions as well.

Ed
23 Nov 2013, 4:42 am

Would love to see a live training session on the new 2d stuff in 4.3

Joel
24 Nov 2013, 12:38 am

This is one of the best and funniest blog articles I’ve read in awhile. I’m impressed with the content that you *do* have, and look forward to seeing more go up.

There are some tutorials on YouTube in regards to character controllers, but what would also be really nice is two different tutorials for character controllers using Mecanim.

1.) FPS using Mecanim.
2.) 3rd person using Mecanim in the style of Batman and Splinter Cell.

I’m rigging up my own, but it would also be nice to see how someone else does it that might be a bit better.

Mike Geig
25 Nov 2013, 2:48 pm

@JOEL Cool, thanks! We will take a look at doing something like that.

Leonard Challis
26 Nov 2013, 3:20 pm

Brilliant post, thanks. The only thing that made me want to punch everybody alive was the use of the word “awesome-sauce”, but I’ll let it pass because of the great content here. Thanks!

numan
26 Nov 2013, 4:49 pm

As much as love/enjoy twitter, there is an inherent limitation on communicating with 140 characters esp. if you are asking a technical questions.

May I suggest doing weekly/bi-weekly g+ hangouts (esp. with Q&A app – https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2660854?hl=en).

Tito
26 Nov 2013, 5:32 pm

Great post! Looking forward to it!

One of things I am particularly interested in is the underlying architecture for a game. I know there is a section in the tutorials that is work in progress and will hopefully be up soon. But I would still like to learn more about how to set up the foundation of the game, how to manage various components of the game and what kind of manager classes can be set up in order to make future feature implementations or iterations relatively easier to integrate.

neo
12 Dec 2013, 1:55 pm

Unity tutorials are great please add more.

12 Dec 2013, 2:21 pm

Please.. I would like to have more superhuman awesome-sauce.