Simplygon Now Live in Unity

February 6, 2014 in Asset Store

Baner

Greetings all!  I’m pretty chuffed that Simplygon’s AAA quality mesh reduction and automatic LOD technology is now available to Unity users at an indie-friendly price.  In short, it lets artists work at a high polygon count, and then does a brilliant job automatically reducing, remeshing, re-mapping and optimizing the mesh and textures to dramatically increase performance at runtime.  It’s absolutely a paradigm shift that 3D artists everywhere are certain to love: focusing on the creative, visual end of production– without slaving over the tedium of LODs and optimization. Their technology is top-notch and used by almost every major studio in the industry.  I asked my friends at Simplygon to write up a little something describing the basics of the tool, what you need to get started, and how the system works.  Please keep reading, and do give Simplygon a serious shot!  It’s mind-blowing how much time it saves!

Simplygon is now live in Unity, and you can enjoy endlessly all the benefits and features of the automagic tool. Through Simplygon Cloud, users are able to automatically create LODs and other optimized 3D models directly from within the Unity Editor with an affordable pay-per-usage model based on credits or even for free. Simplygon plug-in is available for download in Unity Asset Store https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/10144

In Unity, Simplygon works as an editor plug-in to your Unity Project. You can access and set all the parameters you want for your optimized model, such as number of LOD steps; reduction ratio; and which Simplygon Components to use. Then when you click the Simplygon logo your asset is sent to the Simplygon Cloud servers where it is optimized. Each asset and optimization counts as one “job” on the servers. You can then preview the result of the job and as soon as you are happy you can download and use your new LOD model.

matLODGet started easily in 3 steps (video) http://vimeo.com/72958420

Use the Free Server, or pay with Simplygon Credits to skip the queue. Find what works for you! Perhaps a majority of free jobs and occasionally spending credits; or, if you are building games professionally in Unity, buy a big pack of credits and disable free jobs, for  access to advanced features and greater efficiency. Experience the power of Simplygon in Unity!

proxyLOD_1

1. Colbert

April 18, 2014 at 11:58 am /

Love that design

2. Jashan

February 24, 2014 at 11:51 am /

I’m very interested in polygon reduction tools – but I’m completely not interested in “pay as you go” cloud services. And I don’t appreciate the Unity blogs being filled with cheap marketing. This is a way to quickly lose your credibility.

Please, instead of copy’n'pasting marketing-blah-blah into your blog, give us some nice and independent overview of various available technologies (several 3d packages have solutions for this, I know at least one or two other asset store package(s) that provide a solution to this and work very well, and probably there’s other approaches as well that I still need to learn about). And honestly review the benefits and drawbacks of each solution.

That would be actual value. This blog posting, however – and please don’t take that personal (it’s more about how UT presents and positions itself with this kind of communication) – is a waste of my time.

3. FailPrice

February 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm /

My 2cents,

First of all what means 1$=1credit? This is not true.
    Why don’t be more clear and tell us is how much it cost to get LODs of one asset or one character, how much credits will cost that? 1? 100?
    Can we remake LODs for a character we already paid?

I use Simpligon at work with Unreal engine and I like it a lot but we had to recreate the LODs all the time because Characters are constantly changing and tweaking.

Having to pay for every time you use a tool it makes not sense at all. Unity is trying to democratize video games and this companies are trying to get overpaid for their tools.

This price model it makes no sense to me neither. And I hate the idea to have to check if I still have budged every time I want to create an LOD.

Make it $300-$400 unique payment and we got a winner or even better, integrate this tool in unity, like Umbra!!!

4. Jacob

February 8, 2014 at 10:28 pm /

There are already other tools in the asset store, that can similar (same?) things, without costing per conversion. I know that Game Draw can do mesh optimization, and can combine textures in the process (one of their tutorial videos shows this). There is also Cruncher, which does very nice mesh optimization. I’m not sure how either of these compare with Simplygon though, as I haven’t tried it.

5. George cook

February 8, 2014 at 1:34 pm /

I wish I could like the comment about marketing crap. Unity is for developers. We want facts, nor fluff.

And maybe they’ve got cred at games conferences 99.9% of is have visited; buy you’d never guess it for a second reading this.

6. Sebastian

February 8, 2014 at 10:00 am /

Simplygon really is an amazing tool, and even though 3dsmax and similar programs can achieve similar results with lots of work, Simplygon does it way, way quicker. It’s not “just” mesh optimization, it’s also about texture packing. Simplygon does so much automatically, and for me the pricing model makes sense; look at each object have in Unity and want to (or must) reduce, then think about how much time that would take you or you team. If that time would cost you more than using Simplygon, use Simplygon; otherwise do it yourself. And don’t forget time = money.

7. chico

February 7, 2014 at 12:21 pm /

I’m pretty sad that Simplygon decided to adopt this credit business model for unity. Now I will just forget that it exists. Next you will have to ask a friend for a “life” on facebook to optimise a model.

Why not make the $300 gold pack worth 5 billions dollars? Just a hint.

Sorry but I can have no respect for it anymore.

8. Jay

February 7, 2014 at 10:57 am /

Maybe you should be a little less hostile; Simplygon’s got decent commercial street cred.

Here’s a talk they did at last year’s GDC. http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1018085/LOD-Techniques-for-Boosting-Rendering

9. Manu

February 7, 2014 at 3:16 am /

Funnily the pricing here http://www.simplygon.com/unity#splash-4 doesn’t give any pricing about the actual cost of the conversion ; it just shows the cost of credit packages. Great job to not tell us what it will cost..!
    Also, 3DS Max Optimizer can do pretty good polycount lowering when you have models in the tens or hundreds of thousand polygons. The tricky part of polycount lowering is when you want to go under 10’000 or 5’000 polys, especially for skinned meshes, and oh, guess what, there’s no example of that in that blog post… Surprising ?

The ProxyLOD & Shrink wrapping features sound interesting though. That’d deserve some visual examples & explanations.

So want to cut the marketing crap & maybe write a post for actual developers with screenshots to compare the results vs Optimizer ?