Breaking news: welcoming Everyplay and GameAds to the Unity family!

March 13, 2014 in Services

Our goals haven’t changed since we started out a decade ago: we want to provide our global community of developers with the same tools and technology previously only enjoyed by publishers with massive teams and budgets. We’ve kept at it ever since, and are proud to say that we’ve participated with you in the massive changes the industry is undergoing (mostly for the better).

That’s how we find ourselves here today, announcing that Unity is acquiring Applifier in order to integrate its incredible Everyplay and GameAds services into Unity. If you know Everyplay and GameAds and the awesome team behind them, you’ll know that they care about the same things as we do.

The life and death challenge that game developers face today (and always have) is twofold: creating fantastic games (quickly, enjoyably, cost-effectively, multiplatform), and connecting with an audience (virally and/or cost-effectively).

We’ve done a lot to help with the creation of games, and with the development of Unity now moving very fast, we are getting better and better at it too. We started addressing the challenge of connecting with an audience with the launch of Unity Cloud, but always knew that there would be multiple complementary solutions to this.

What are these solutions, then?

Everyplay lets gamers share instant replay videos of their most epic, fun, ridiculous, and embarrassing moments, and thus helps true fans evangelize your game and get word out to those they influence. Instant replay changed sports broadcasting forever, and it is doing the same to gaming.

Thus, Everyplay tackles the challenge of user acquisition in an authentic and exciting way that not only encourages discovery, but also discovery in depth and thus stronger retention and engagement. Oh, and did I mention that it’s totally free and takes just 2 minutes to integrate in any Unity game? And you can download the package from the Asset Store?

GameAds is a video ad-sharing service used by leading game publishers to find engaged new users and to monetize non-paying users with video ads.

Screen Shot 2014-03-13 at 11.23.24

What does this mean for all of us?

Aside from the promise of integration of those services into Unity – we will begin working on this immediately – not a lot!

The team formerly known as Applifier will stay the same and continue working on their incredible products. Customers of Everyplay and GameAds won’t have their services interrupted or terms changed. In fact, while Everyplay and GameAds are both planned to be integrated into Unity to make them even easier to access, games and developers using all other engines are also encouraged to use the services and take advantage of the most engaging user acquisition methods known to man. These services will sit side by side with Unity Cloud, our cross-promotion ad-sharing network that’s still very much in development, offering beautifully complementary pathways to connecting with a quality audience.

So, join us in giving our new colleagues a warm welcome to the Unity team!

David Helgason,
on behalf of the whole Unity community

rsz_everyplay_facecam_ingame

1. mark

June 2, 2014 at 12:46 pm /

Hi,

Does your Source Plugin work with Unity 3D Web?

We want our end game users to record a part of the gameplay and save
    it to a server as a video file. Our game is browser based, so native
    recording will not support the purpose. Also we don’t want our users
    to install a 3rd party software for recording, it all has to be within
    the game installation package.

Does it support Unity 3d web based games and integrates in to them
    like a standard Unity plugin?

I hope I am making sense here, looking forward to your response.

2. craig

May 21, 2014 at 3:50 pm /

Its i will add this in my fps game soon.

3. Bonnie

May 7, 2014 at 7:41 am /

Wow, that’s what I was seeking for, what a stuff! existing here at
    this web site, thanks admin of this website.

4. satishkumar ghinaiya

April 3, 2014 at 7:48 am /

Great works done by unity..waiting for UNITY5.

5. JoeyJoe

March 28, 2014 at 2:04 pm /

I guess it’s only a matter of time before Unity itself is acquired…

6. Rhoger

March 27, 2014 at 2:47 am /

Esto es únicamente hermoso! Los amo!

7. Autumn

March 25, 2014 at 2:47 pm /

Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch
    break. I love the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded
    on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, great site!

8. marco antonio

March 25, 2014 at 2:08 am /

bueno

9. jhayson

March 20, 2014 at 5:17 pm /

?

10. Elmy@Cheaperseeker

March 20, 2014 at 3:55 am /

Great stuff for those game player.Also it’s a nice acquisition.Congratulations!

11. Mike Cooper

March 19, 2014 at 10:15 am /

Really awesome post, i am am definately gonna bookmark your blog – Mike Cooper led bulb supplier

12. cindy gritzmacher

March 18, 2014 at 2:06 am /

you have conflicting flash players with other games in face book now I cant play any thank you for screwing everything up

13. Gonarch

March 16, 2014 at 5:17 pm /

Maybe you guys can help me with a doubt. I was reading the gameads site marketing junk and noticed this line: “Get the highest quality users for your game”.

So what is a high quality user, it is even a human beign? How you judge if a user is high quality? Seriously thats important to now, I wouldn’t want to have cheap ass users for my games, always aim for the top.

14. Alex

March 16, 2014 at 1:54 pm /

Will the video recording work for a PC game ?
    (didn’t find any info on the website)

15. euwarnii hughes

March 15, 2014 at 4:51 am /

This is awesome, just what I was looking for, reminds me of how current gen consoles have social integration for the players video recording. Can this work for desktop/laptop games made with Unity 4.3 too?

16. dono

March 14, 2014 at 5:47 pm /

After having read into this more I think ive totally got the wrong idea what this is….

17. dono

March 14, 2014 at 5:40 pm /

Mental I was just thinking about how to do a replay feature yesterday so great timing.

cant say I like ads in games so the other thing digusts me ;)

18. Elis Öhrman

March 14, 2014 at 11:29 am /

This is awesome!
    Looking forward to try these things out in my mini projects. :)

19. Petter Sundnes

March 14, 2014 at 10:32 am /

An interesting acquisition for sure, and hopefully completely cross-platform down the line.

As David said: “Blackberry is an amazing platform for Unity and I would like to monetize it someway.”

20. rocki

March 14, 2014 at 6:36 am /

Super Fantastic,

Games and Video have always been close kins in the same family. Even the words “Video Games” points to this interconnection.

Hurray for enabling better Video Capabilities within Unity. Very much appreciate it. One of the selling bullet points on the Unity’s Pro advertising Free/Pro comparison matrix is video support. However, after buying IOS pro, one realizes that MovieTexture is not supported on IOS. In fact, the video code has not been updated since 2009. With the acquisition of this mobile video technology, Unity now has the ability to keep its promise of Unity’s IOS pro feature in addition to being to provide better Video support with Unity. In addition to video capturing, there are many creative use cases of being able to integrate Video within the game – hence “Video Game”. Unity is a totally awesome platform for game making and with better in-game video support, it’s the Ultimate Game Platform and the only one we will ever need.

Long Live “Video Games” powered by Unity.

21. David

March 13, 2014 at 11:42 pm /

I also want to bring up ads for Blackberry and Windows Phone. Especially with Blackberry as they have no ad options (Unity only supports the core native ads which have no advertisers behind them so $0 can be made) so one could only do paid if they want to make money and if a game is simple, sometimes its not worth .99 cents.

Thank you.

22. David Helgason

March 13, 2014 at 11:29 pm /

@Martijn, Marius: currently this is iOS and Android only, but we hope to be able to expand this. No promise on when or which platforms, though.

23. Samer Khatib

March 13, 2014 at 7:26 pm /

Unity keeps getting better and better!
    I love you unity team!

24. Jean Paul Marinho

March 13, 2014 at 5:29 pm /

Hi!

Thanks Unity for this!

And about ad services to Blackberry and Windows Phone? Because Game Ads don’t have this option.

25. koblavi

March 13, 2014 at 4:26 pm /

Nice acquisition. Congratulations! I just pray no one acquires Unity though :-P

26. Marc Schärer

March 13, 2014 at 4:21 pm /

Thats great news, have been using both in the past too :)

27. Rodolfo

March 13, 2014 at 3:53 pm /

Simply wonderful!

28. Andrea Sancio

March 13, 2014 at 3:00 pm /

Great! We are already using both Everyplay and GameADS. Things can only get better now :)

29. Marius Bucur

March 13, 2014 at 2:56 pm /

Is this mobile only?

30. Martijn

March 13, 2014 at 2:26 pm /

Looking good! i was looking on the website but havent found an awnser.
    Are the ‘non-mobile’ platfoms supported by everplay (Windows/Max Desktop, webplayer, etc) ?

31. Martin Schultz

March 13, 2014 at 2:20 pm /

This is great news! I’m just about to finish the first integration with Everplay and love it. Good acquisition, matches perfectly!