GDC 2014 Wrap-up

March 29, 2014 in Community News and Info, Events, Rants & Raves by

Wow! What an incredible conference GDC was this year! Our booth was awesome, incredibly busy, and full of amazing friends and partners demonstrating how talented the wide Unity community is. But while the show was great for us, it was truly amazing for developers everywhere.

10 short  years ago, Unity was just 3 guys in a basement trying to create tech to enrich the lives of developers. Who would have thought that the company we started and technology we built would grow into this amazing community and have such an incredible impact on the industry!

unityatgdc

It’s humbling to see our mission to democratize development succeed in a golden age of creativity. We want to continue providing the best tools to empower you to create awesome games and become successful. This means keeping the largest number of supported platforms, increasing the usability of the tools to make sure you can experiment and iterate quickly to realize your vision, and providing services to help you connect your games with great audiences.

Unity’s acquisition of Applifier, creators of the awesome Everyplay and GameAds services, was a big step in our new journey to democratize the bits that sit outside of creative game development. Connecting players with your game and your studio is easily one of the biggest challenges to modern developers. Of all the solution we have seen (and we’ve seen many) the Everyplay replay sharing network is the coolest way to help a game connect with an audience, and for current players to find out more about the games they’re playing. You can read more about this announcement here.

Our other big announcement was Unity 5! This is a leap forward in graphics fidelity, adding physically-based shaders and real-time global illumination with Enlighten – but this major cycle is about more than that. The unified shader architecture, real-time lightmap previews, and revamped audio system are there to make your lives easier and games better. The best part of this is that what we announced at GDC 2014 is just Unity 5.0: there are a lot more major additions coming in this cycle to get excited about.

Check out the Unity 5 announcement and make sure to check out the preview video as well.

Our Unity 5 announcement also brought news of our 19th platform, WebGL. We have been hard at work with Mozilla behind the scenes on this and couldn’t be more proud. Seeing Dead Trigger 2 look so good and run so well with real meaty gameplay is amazing. You can see Mozilla’s blog about our work together and the video demo below.

Along with the Unity 5 announcement, we also discussed the future of the 4.x cycle, which includes two more big releases: 4.5 and 4.6. Unity 4.6 is especially noteworthy as it marks the release of our much anticipated new GUI system. We can’t wait to get it in your hands!

If the games and developers hosted in our Games Pavilion this year are any indication, we can expect a lot out of you all in the next couple of years. Not only did we have top notch visuals covering a variety of genres and styles, we had a group showing off just how powerful the tools can be for small teams. Just look at Team Colorblind, a team of two, creating Aztez for seven platforms, including all of the consoles! So thank you to 5 Bits Studios, Amplitude Studios, Dynamighty, HB Studios, Infinite Fall, Madfinger Games, Press Play, Proletariat, Snowcastle Games, Team Colorblind, ustwo, and Witch Beam Studios for making us look good! And, if you haven’t seen it yet, check out our new game reel from GDC that showcases some of the games that were at our booth along with a few others.

GDC 2014 turned out amazing! The industry as a whole lept forward, and we’re extremely proud of the part we played in this transformation. It’s exciting to walk side by side with so many of you into the future of the industry.

– David Helgason

29 Mar 2014, 7:27 am

Thank you, David, for your humble work and your vision. Thank you.

say moo
29 Mar 2014, 3:11 pm

Not = nor

30 Mar 2014, 6:49 pm

well , Unreal Engine 4 its open source , but unity still great if they make grass high render without moving with camera and physical shader , maybe unity team gain some resource from UE 4 Like collision particules and Stone or iron material ………. unity still the best from my point of view . keep it up unity team

Cayl
30 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm

This year’s GDC is by far the best GDC game engine wise ever, thanks to you Unity boys and girls, Unity is just like taking our hand and leveling us indie folks up into totally new high territories everytime, my CG and programming skills have been growing along with Unity3D 2.6.1 without which I would have never mastered C# and .Net, hell even PHP, tamed MODO, ZBrush, Photoshop and Illustrator. Unity is my software gravitational center, if I had made the mistake and sticked to UDK and Max I wouldn’t be wher I’m now.
Your users love you so much Unity, Keep improving.

Ziboo
31 Mar 2014, 3:52 pm

Can you give more information about the UI ?
I saw that you made a conference on it during GDC.

31 Mar 2014, 3:58 pm

thanks to unity team . i hope you beat all another engines . ^^

31 Mar 2014, 6:38 pm

Very awesome! Hope to see you at the next Unite in Europe … whenever that is. But I guess I really missed something big with GDC 2014. Oh well ;-) Keep on rockin’!

Merry Blind
1 Apr 2014, 12:27 am

Hey I’m looking into starting to learn Unity at the moment. Should I wait for Unity 5.0 to be released before starting? or can I start right now with 4 without worrying about having to learn everything all over again upon Unity 5.0′s release?

Joachim Ante
1 Apr 2014, 6:35 am

ZJP
2 Apr 2014, 3:55 pm

“Unity 5 has lots of new features, but most things you learn in Unity 4 will be applicable to Unity 5.”
My concern is mainly about shaders. I hope that most of them still work with Unity 5. :(

Joachim Ante
2 Apr 2014, 4:09 pm

Existing Shaders will work with Unity 5. But of course with Unity 5 and especially the physically based shading you can get a whole new level of graphics quality.

2 Apr 2014, 7:07 pm

Oh my, GUi wll be available only on 4.6! Still a long way to wait…

ZJP
3 Apr 2014, 7:49 pm

@Joachim ANTE
Thanks for the reply.

29 Apr 2014, 7:42 am

Have you ever thought about creating an e-book or guest authoring on other blogs?
I have a blog centered on the same information you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information.
I know my audience would value your work. If you are even remotely interested,
feel free to shoot me an e mail.

Here is my webpage Gamdroids Crime City Hack – Amanda,