Playstation®Vita for all: The Unity for PlayStation®Mobile public preview

April 8, 2014 in Technology

unity-vita

No dev kit. No NDAs. No fees. No waiting. No hassle. Just register quickly with Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) and you too can take games to PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) with our free PlayStation®Mobile (Unity for PSM) build option!

If you’re not familiar with PSM, it’s a software framework used to provide downloadable content to PS Vita. The huge advantage in deploying to PSM is that there’s no need to acquire a PS Vita Dev Kit and clear all the associated hurdles to deploy to PS Vita.

What can I do with the Unity for PSM build option?

We’re confident that the Unity for PSM public preview build is reasonably stable and that you can deploy your existing mobile content to PSM without too much pain or effort right away. Please remember, however, that at this stage it is a beta product, and that you can’t publish to PlayStation®Store just yet.

How does the PSM build option differ from Unity’s existing PS Vita deployment?

Unlike the new PSM technology, Unity’s existing PS Vita build option gives you full native access to PS Vita as well as full access to PSN. As part of your dev kit, you also get a comprehensive suite of performance and native debugging tools, Visual Studio integration and Razor CPU/GPU performance tools.

Why PS Vita?

Amongst other things, making a PS Vita game is an easy way to cut your teeth on console development and become familiar with PlayStation® controls and conventions.

Porting existing mobile games is extremely easy – with a little work adding the dual analog stick controller inputs you’re there. Of course, the fact that PS Vita comes with PlayStation® controls means you can also use it as a platform to create new and exciting console games from the ground up!

How can I get it?

As of yet, the Unity for PSM build option hasn’t been integrated with the Unity product cycle. You can download a dedicated version of the Unity engine with the PSM build option here – note that due to restrictions on this platform, the PSM build is only available in the Windows version of Unity. Don’t forget to check our PSM forum thread if you have any questions.

Is the PSM build option available for both the Pro and Free versions of Unity?

Absolutely, yes it is!

1. best slim

April 23, 2014 at 11:12 am /

Windows, windows?

2. Colbert

April 18, 2014 at 11:50 am /

I would love to try it out, but I don’t have a PSP Vita. I was thinking about buying one, but I’m happy with my PSP and didn’t think PSPVita was worthy of my money, haha. But it looks cool. I guess it’s not compatible for the normal PSP?

3. BT

April 11, 2014 at 4:30 pm /

Sad that this program is not available for India.

4. guillaume

April 11, 2014 at 4:18 am /

this is great news , having use the PSM framework a bit i was waiting for this day with impatience !
    Thanks guys !

5. Tino

April 10, 2014 at 4:12 pm /

Great work guys :) !

6. Skyblade

April 9, 2014 at 2:21 pm /

This is sooo cool, thank you!

7. electricity

April 9, 2014 at 9:14 am /

Well it’s not PSVITA for all, is it, since you only have a handful of countries that can apply for a PSM licence. Access should be granted for all, at least for development purposes, so that we can test our games on the device. When PSM licenses will include our countries too, in several months, at least we are ready to ship our games by then. Otherwise there’s no real motivation in developing something for the Vita right now, since we can’t actually develop for it. Too bad as I bought a PSVita several months ago in anticipation for this, after your announcement in january. I guess Sony’s sales for the Vita are so bad that they had to open up for the indie market. On the other hand, they don’t want to open up completely, otherwise they would just deploy some kind of a development PSM license for anyone. Doesn’t really makes sense.

8. elecman

April 9, 2014 at 8:22 am /

Do we also get access to the Augmented Reality API with this?

9. codemonkey

April 9, 2014 at 5:40 am /

So PSM games doesn’t run nativelly on the Vita? What about hardware access? Do we use the whole CPU/GPU cores or it’s handicaped to one core?

10. Oliviet Etienne

April 9, 2014 at 2:25 am /

They did it again!
    We really are entering a new era thank you the Unity.
    Game Engine who really have democratized Game Development.
    Amazing Guys!

11. adam

April 8, 2014 at 10:21 pm /

well , unreal engine has been destroyed .
    unity will role ….. good job hope they make xbox for free or ps4 for free

12. Joseph-kun

April 8, 2014 at 9:07 pm /

Awesome I’ll start to develop some games for ps mobile now. :)

13. Wenceslao

April 8, 2014 at 8:06 pm /

This is awesome! Registered, downloading and I can’t wait to try it out!

14. Trust Review Vehicle

April 8, 2014 at 7:41 pm /

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was totally right. This publish truly made my day. You cann’t believe just how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

15. pracalic

April 8, 2014 at 7:07 pm /

We wait for xbox one and Playstation free development options:)? But this is (Playstation vita) is to very nice.

16. David

April 8, 2014 at 6:12 pm /

I have a question since i registered i forgot to ask it….
    Are we restricted to only PSM games and not PSVita games??? meaning i would like to include trophies if possible… that would be awesome ;-)

1. Erik Hemming

April 9, 2014 at 3:40 am /

Unity-for-PSM is targeting the PSM platform, running only on PS Vita.
      At this time only ‘true’ native PS Vita titles have access to PSN, incl. trophies.

17. Sammy

April 8, 2014 at 5:46 pm /

@Bruno
    I found this little bit of info on develop-online.net:
    “PS Mobile support is also on its way to more countries. Austria, India, Poland and Switzerland will get PS Mobile on June 25th. And developers in Australia, Brazil, Columbia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Russia, Singapore, Switzerland and Thailand will will be granted access to PS Mobile from May 29th.”

18. Bernardo Medeiros

April 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm /

Windows only?

19. Angler

April 8, 2014 at 3:02 pm /

wow great, thanks :)

20. Kevin

April 8, 2014 at 1:50 pm /

they don’t support Argentina :(

21. Lior Tal

April 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm /

I though PSM was kinda dead… or was it just the PSM SDK, now that it’s supported by Unity?

I don’t recall seeing any activity from Sony’s behalf to enhance or update the PSM program in the past months/year.

1. Erik Hemming

April 9, 2014 at 3:41 am /

Unity-for-PSM is completely separate from PSM SDK – it’s essentially a new way to target the open PSM platform/business model.

22. Bruno Xavier

April 8, 2014 at 12:23 pm /

Good… But PSM still do not allow publishing from my country. -.-“

23. Yudhistira Vidhiatama

April 8, 2014 at 11:12 am /

Awesome! Ready to register for this!

24. mantis

April 8, 2014 at 10:53 am /

Awesome, I can finally dust off my PSV! Now give us Unity for 3DS ;)

25. Spacefrog

April 8, 2014 at 10:42 am /

Great surprise and totally awsome !

Does that mean that the RELEASE version of the Unity PSM export module will be free too (like the Windows Store App or WP8 export modules) ?

That’s not quite clear from the above blog entry’s line:

….and you too can take games to PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) with our free PlayStation®Mobile (Unity for PSM) build option!

1. Erik Hemming

April 9, 2014 at 3:45 am /

Yes, the license for Unity-for-PSM is ‘included’ in your Unity Free/Pro license.
      Unity-for-PSM has the same Basic/Pro split as Android/iOS/etc.
      An existing Unity Free license entitles you to use Unity-for-PSM Basic, without any extra cost.
      If you are a Unity Pro user, then Unity-for-PSM Pro is included automatically.

26. kaiyum

April 8, 2014 at 10:22 am /

Uh, they don’t support Bangladesh yet. Hoping that they will include soon :)

27. Steve

April 8, 2014 at 10:20 am /

YAY!!!! Can’t wait to see all my games running on my Vita! ^_^ Well done guys!

28. Marc Schärer

April 8, 2014 at 9:52 am /

Great great, waited for it :)

Now I can finally continue with the prototype I have even though I’ve no clue when Sony will expand the PSM reach (hasn’t expanded beyond its initial 8 or 9 countries in the past 1.x years) to include Switzerland.

29. Martin Schultz

April 8, 2014 at 8:58 am /

Great! About to register! :-)