Building and Maintaining Value for Developers

August 14, 2014 in Community

It’s hard to believe, but there’s less than a week left until Unite! We’re very excited to meet so many of you, and we’ll have more developers there than ever before to answer your questions. We have a number of announcements lined up for Unite, and a schedule packed with valuable information, but we’d like to share a few things with you in advance.

The past decade has seen an incredible transformation of Unity from a tool nobody knew about to the most popular way to create games for well over a dozen platforms, by developers in more than 100 countries, working with Unity for millions of hours each month. That’s so crazy amazing!

We got here by listening to our community, and we continue to do so.

One of the things our community has been wanting is an upgrade to our rendering quality. We have been working hard to build something to meet those needs, and lately we have been showing the graphical power of Unity 5, which raises the quality bar out-of-the-box across all supported platforms. This will empower many of you to bring your creative vision to life in new and interesting ways.

We also heard from you that the quality of our engine is equally important. Our sustained engineering initiative means that everybody gets a chance to download the newest patch release every week. We’re squashing bugs fast and we’re expanding our efforts to make this process even faster and more efficient. We’re not stopping there though, and we have a number of initiatives we’ll be rolling out in the coming months that will help further lower development risk while increasing the flexibility of Unity in your development pipeline. Stay tuned!

We also know that once your game is done you need to build an audience that believes in your business and your games. That is why we’re working hard to integrate the services of several recently acquired companies. For example, with services like Unity Ads and Everyplay we can help you attract the right players to your game and keep them playing, which increases your ability to succeed in a crowded market.

WebGL in Unity 5

Unity has been, and will continue to be, the leader at helping you reach your customers on whatever platform they’re on. We heard that many of you are interested in WebGL, but are unsure of what the WebGL market will become and whether it warrants an additional investment. So we have decided that with Unity 5.0 we’ll make the WebGL deployment option add-on available to both free users and Unity Pro customers without cost. You’ll be able to easily make games that run without plugins for the growing number of WebGL capable browsers.

Together with Windows, Mac, Linux, Web Player, iOS, Android, BlackBerry 10, Windows Phone 8, Windows Runtime, Wii U, Xbox One and PlayStation Mobile for Vita, that brings the number of platforms open to your game for free to 13. Nobody else has native support for so many platforms at no cost to you.

Value and pricing

In the past few months there have been active discussions about our value proposition in the forums and whether it was time for another change to our offering. We spent the past few months talking to many of you around the world about Unity and the value proposition we offer, and we discovered the overwhelming majority felt that we were providing excellent value across the board. In fact, many of you expressed concern over a race-to-the-bottom business model for tools that your livelihoods depend upon. And you also raised a strong voice against a royalty-based business model. In our many years as a startup, we’ve always re-invested our money back into our product. We believe that you should be able to do whatever you want with your money too.

We believe the business model and pricing we have now is one that will continue to provide us with the resources we need to ensure Unity is the most reliable and delightful way to build games for the majority of developers. Nothing remains static though, and we may revisit our business model and pricing at some point in the future.

We’re really looking forward to meeting so many of you and sharing so much more at Unite! If you can’t make it in person, you can still join us for the keynote, which will be live streaming on Wednesday, August 20 at 9 am PDT.

1. Brett Hooper

September 13, 2014 at 12:59 pm /

This is a such a great news.

2. Andrew

September 9, 2014 at 1:31 pm /

I hope Unity will allow oculus rift development in Unity Free. I think that’s crucial to retain hobby developers. Otherwise many of these devs will be forced to choose a more affordable platform.

3. PT

September 5, 2014 at 8:51 pm /

Hobbyist Oculus Rift demo developer here.

I’ve been using Unity pro trial so far, and I’m happy about the product itself.

There is a big chip on my shoulder though; what happens when the trial runs out. The pro licensing options are too expensive to justify.

My only hope is that Unity5 will bring new licensing models for people like me.

4. pixnlove

August 19, 2014 at 11:29 pm /

Everyone seem to be pretty exiting about the WebGL business.
    WebGL does not support old hardware, I have never been able to run any applications using WebGL on my PC.
    Never had any problems whatsoever with the UnityWeb Player.
    I mean if WebGL is as awesome as they say why does not it support old hardware,
    I mean if the Unity Crew is willing to put the work in to support old hardware why can’t the WebGL Crew do the same?
    Hope you will make the very sensible decision to support your Awesome Unity WebPlayer who is already reaching millions of players.

5. luis

August 19, 2014 at 6:07 am /

porque motivo no puedo entrar a dead trigger 2 desde el dia domingo 17 no ee podido conectarme al juego x motivo de q dice error details .. no entiendo

6. horace

August 18, 2014 at 11:15 pm /

the free webgl thing sounds awesome.

but will there still be the ugly mandatory splash screen in unity free? :)

will the engine compiled to javascript always be loaded from a central ut server? or does a published game come with the engine?

isn’t javascript easier to tamper with (even if it is obfuscated)? how will you prevent that someone removes the need for the ugly slash screen? :)

just curious…

7. jsantos

August 18, 2014 at 6:03 pm /

Listen to your customers please and remove this absurd limitation:

8. JDMulti

August 18, 2014 at 9:45 am /

“So we have decided that with Unity 5.0 we’ll make the WebGL deployment option add-on available to both free users and Unity Pro customers without cost.”

I can say, you won’t regret that decission. WebGL is really upcomming, Microsoft who is normally really carefull with new things even joined the WebGL topic, so that must be something worth to invest in. I hope this WebGL takes a whole new level when huge amount of people start getting into this.

After all the questions and another posts: “Unity team, thanks for this, really thanks for the no cost decission” ^_^

9. Adam T.

August 18, 2014 at 9:42 am /

The pricing model is fine. What’s important is getting your money’s worth, and that’s what this blog entry is trying to get across – that they understand it and it’s their focus.

In a “can’t please everyone” scenario, you have to please the people who are at least “finishers” – that is, people who are actually releasing product, because they’re the ones who need the value proposition, and stability in the middleware provider’s financial statements is important if you want stability in the middleware they produce.

It’s easy to look at Epic and say “cheap access is the answer!”, but sometimes you can only play a card trick once. In the majority of cases, the “race to the bottom” is exactly the kind of strategy that has been killing companies. Ask anyone who publishes in an App Store full of 99cent games what it’s done for their bottom line, and with it their ability to grow.

10. Hannibalov

August 17, 2014 at 3:39 pm /

Hi, although I believe Unity does give great value for the price, I think there are other interesting financing oportunities barely exploited, if exploited at all.

The asset store could make a better source of income if we all knew that every asset adds real value. There are many assets with little value, no support and so on. Also, there is no filter on version (pro/no pro) etc. Take good care of the asset store and you’ll see sales boost!

Also, there is an increase of interest in backends and cloud services. We have yet to see what U5 delivers in that sense, but I would rather have Unity making money on services for games that do make profit than on indies that just want to try it out.

I guess what I’m saying is that I’d vote for service-based business model for your future.

11. Wally

August 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm /

No movement on price? You guys don’t support your product enough to demand a premium price. Some broken or buggy stuff just hangs around far too long to cough up what you guys are asking. The subscription model might be a false economy, but it quickly becomes reality when you look at the bank balance of most indie studios.
    You free stuff might be good enough at times, but in the face of a full engine with affordable pricing options why should I waste hours looking for the workaround for your locked “pro” features when other engines provide it for a reasonable price?

12. jason

August 16, 2014 at 7:22 pm /

13. Elias

August 16, 2014 at 4:13 pm /

+1 for WebGl.

For that reason I upgraded to unity5 today.

14. Pangeran Wiguan

August 16, 2014 at 3:37 pm /

That’s Unity for us. :D
    The Unity I know, same as always.
    Is to make more people build the games.

15. Jesper Kondrup

August 16, 2014 at 3:05 pm /

As a hobbyist wanting to develop free demos for the Oculus Rift the Unity Pro price of 75$ a month or 1500$ for the full license is a pretty high. I have used Unity for more than 4 years but this is the first time I have even considered using another engine. I have always liked Unity and even teached a 3D graphics course in Unity. But I have made up my mind that I will try the 20$ UE4 subscription for a least 3 months and see how it pans out. VR development is a dream come true but 75$ against 20$ is simply too hard to justify to myself.

16. blueD

August 16, 2014 at 1:46 pm /

I wouldn’t mind for the price of Unity Pro $1500, since the workflow, learning curve, modifications with Unity is much flexible, and more efficient to me than with UE4. But, the addons price need to go, $1500 for each platform is ridiculously expensive, not fit to the competitors’s offering price today.

17. Aras Pranckevičius

August 16, 2014 at 12:52 pm /

@AIRONENERO: “WebGL is supported only on mozilla?” – no, why. Support on latest versions of Firefox & Chrome are the best, but IE11 & Safari are catching up quite fast as well.

18. Aironenero

August 16, 2014 at 12:42 pm /

WebGL is supported only on mozilla? Also im thinking of buyin unity 5 when he comes out. Reading who wants to create games with UE4, that is very slow on not powerful machines (and this restict the possibility to have more success) i think only that the right price for unity is 1500$ + other addons at 300$ and not 1500$.

19. metaleap

August 16, 2014 at 7:03 am /

Forget about royalties, 99% of game projects make no serious money.. Now, to nonetheless create a kickass game for desktop, consoles plus Android and iOS in Unity will cost at least $4500. How long to reach that figure in UE4 at $19/month? A whopping 19+ years! That’s ALL you need to know. Unless post-processing “image effects” (seriously nowadays simply a must) are moved to the free Indie edition in U5, it has now the lesser value proposition, simple as that!

20. Alan Stagner

August 16, 2014 at 5:00 am /

I’m with Richard on this one.

It would not be in Unity’s interest to a.) ignore their user’s opinions and b.) lie about their user’s opinions.

If they had determined that a cheaper price would be better, based on the VASTLY more knowledge they have of themselves and their users than we do, they would have gone with a cheaper price without question. So clearly, they’ve determined that it would NOT be better.

21. ninjaboyjohn

August 16, 2014 at 12:01 am /

Any word on Oculus Rift support in Unity Free?

I love Unity Free for prototyping and getting games to the this-is-a-possible-release-I-should-buy-Unity-Pro point, but not being able to experiment *at all* with VR in Unity Free really kills that spirit.

As more DK2s make it into the wild, developers who don’t already have Unity Pro are faced with upgrading or switching to Unreal. It’s a pretty crucial time for kicking off VR projects and native OR support in Unity Free could help Unity be the de-facto engine for devs getting into VR.

22. Richard Fine

August 15, 2014 at 11:34 pm /

@AMORANO: Well, if nothing else it’s probably not great PR for Unity to have a bunch of people on the forums complaining about the price. But yes, I agree with you – the market will demonstrate whether they’ve assessed things correctly here or not.

23. Amorano

August 15, 2014 at 11:30 pm /

@RICHARD FINE: ok, so my flippant observation about his flippant observation might be hyperbole. But be realistic here. There are quite a number of people, yes, on the “small” public facing outlets that have decried the purchase model.

The short version is simply: If they really believe that it wont impact their market share? great. Kudos to them, time will tell us all.

24. Richard Fine

August 15, 2014 at 11:21 pm /

@AMORANO: You should take a look at how many threads Graham answers on the forums. He reads it. What we on the outside don’t get to see is the reality of just how small the forums are relative to Unity’s total user base.

25. Amorano

August 15, 2014 at 11:07 pm /

@GRAHAM DUNNETT: I dont think you read the forums if you really believe that most users are happy with the pricing model.

Sure, you may have some poll/other area to get opinions, but the public facing ones are pretty much agreed that the pricing model should get an interation. But, the best way for you all to understand that will be the actual money spent on your product, or on other products, so keep on keep’n on.

26. Jerry

August 15, 2014 at 7:42 pm /

@Graham, yes I did, and still do maintain a subscription with UE. Took time to look through the code, built a test level, and ran some demos. Overall it is promising. Unfortunately mobile was a little slow and may take some time before it is worked out.

In parallel I noticed UT making fixes a little more rapidly and decided to give it another try. The new UI looks nice, and I already have my own, but I can easily discard it and make use of Unity’s UI. The real question is will 4.6 or 5.x fix my problems?

1. Cloth physics disappears when going out of the frustum.
    2. Extremely long delay between the Menu, and loading the level of Fire TV (2+ minutes)
    3. Sprites didn’t work correctly on Fire TV (found workaround myself – very time consuming)
    4. Different results on different machines (latest post)

Is it me? Am I using Unity wrong? We had to scale back the detail on our levels for performance reasons. And that is on fairly powerful machines: Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40 GHz, NVidia GeForce GT 545, with 2 GB VRAM.

Feel free to reach out to me via email.

27. Troy

August 15, 2014 at 7:27 pm /

The WebGL decision has just sealed the deal for my company. Bravo.

28. Jason

August 15, 2014 at 7:04 pm /

Terrible mistake on pricing. And unreal just released 4.4 with new GUI and 2d support. And that only took them a few months while we are still waiting for uGUI.
    We will see in 2 years if Unity made the right desicion. I am gone.

29. Phil Winkel

August 15, 2014 at 6:48 pm /

I love all the people that complain about price and say they’re going to leave for UE or Cryengine. Unity Free gets you 90% of the way there, or more. If you want certain advanced features, you are most likely in a position where you could pay for the Unity license.

Unreal Engine is rough around the edges. Yes it looks tempting, mostly visually and with certain features, but Unity 5 is closing that gap, they are going to make a new terrain system, the new unity GUI is on the way, and there are assets in the asset store like shader forge that can fill the holes until unity implements these features.

CryTek almost went bankrupt, and half their employees recently left because CryTek wasn’t paying them! It’s absolutely hilarious that people are comparing Unity to a game engine that is being developed by a company that is in the midst of a huge pivot, nearly went bankrupt, lost half their employees, and faces an uncertain future. You go switch to CryEngine, have fun with the learning curve and say a little prayer every night that CryTek doesn’t go bankrupt. Anyone who is developing games professionally isn’t going to bet their livelihood on CryEngine right now.

Unity, you made the right choice. This is clearly the way to go. Don’t listen to all the crybabies on these blog posts whining about the price of Unity when you’re literally handing out 90% of the engine for absolutely free.

I am very excited about WebGL plugin for free. Looking forward to 4.6, Unity 5, and beyond.

30. Graham Dunnett

August 15, 2014 at 5:57 pm /

@Jerry – we have commercial support offerings, and also the community sites. I can see your recent post on the community site and got a reply inside 3 minutes. Feel free to PM me on the forum if you want to let me know about your support experiences. (But I thought you’d departed for UE4 back in May?)

31. Man

August 15, 2014 at 5:56 pm /

Looking forward to WebGL :) Interesting to compare Unity WebGL performance with Blend4Web native JavaScript implementation.

32. Brett

August 15, 2014 at 5:48 pm /

Basically it boils down to anybody that has shipped something with Unity, free or Pro, thinks the value proposition of Unity is high and royalties suck. To be more precise, we talked to around a 100 developers, from big studios to beginner users of the free version. In Asia, the feedback was more informal, for Americas and Europe, we created surveys based on our customer database and we also did follow-up interviews. All respondents rated the price/value of Unity above average across the board, with North American developers rating the value higher than European ones.

We’ll do our comprehensive annual survey that goes out to everybody sometime after Unite. Once those results are in we will take them into consideration too. So do take the survey when you see it!

33. Jerry

August 15, 2014 at 5:12 pm /

Sorry, that was supposed to be “. . . attractive components. . .”

34. Jerry

August 15, 2014 at 5:10 pm /

I don’t have a problem with the pricing. My frustration is with the lack of, and quality of support I have received from Unity Tech support thus far.

Also when you think about it, it’s during early development when you encounter unknowns and/or problems when you’d like to be able to either:

refer to quality documentation that describes the process/problem
    contact knowledgeable support

From what I can tell UT has neither, at least not in a reliable, scalable fashion. Certainly there are some good people in the organization. . .I just haven’t had any luck finding them.

The two active components of Unity are the Editor, and the Asset Store. The hoopla with Unity 5 has piqued my interest to the point I signed for a subscription. “We” already have a perpetual 4 license that allowed us to obtain the subscription at a reasonable price. Again, cannot complain about that aspect but support is another story altogether. . .

Take a look at my latest issue:

Thanks,
    Jerry

35. pragma

August 15, 2014 at 4:19 pm /

@OC:

thanks for your comment OC. Of course they can decide their pricing model themselves. I’m not even against the current pricing model.
    I’m just allergic against misleading marketing jargon.

36. OC

August 15, 2014 at 4:13 pm /

Give it a rest @PRAGMA, at the end of the day it’s not a presidential election and UT can decide what to charge for their product without publishing any poll results.

Yeah $1,500 is pretty expensive if you’re doing this as a hobby but no sane development studio would ever go with a royalty based pricing model.

@HENRIK POULSEN as an indie developer you can always use the free version of unity with some plugins from the asset store to fill in the functionality gaps. There’s literally very few advantages that the pro can offer if you’re not making AAA titles.

37. pragma

August 15, 2014 at 3:25 pm /

@ARAS PRANCKEVIČIUSA: as far as I know, the polls we did about pricing were sent to a random slice of all our customers, both the ones that use free version and the ones who use Pro. So it’s *not* “just some AAA big clients”.

Why not publish the statistic then? Even if it was 60% against a royalty based system and 40% pro, the marketing sentence “And _you_ also raised a strong voice against a royalty-based business model.” would still be misleading.

38. Henrik Poulsen

August 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm /

Wish I could edit comments :) Should be “Make just one pro license per person enough” of course, and “I swear” and not “I sweat” :D

39. Henrik Poulsen

August 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm /

I find the pricing very flawed. It’s great value for companies, but as an indie developer I can probably never pay the $4500 required to get iOS and Android Pro licenses.
    There is definitely a license in the middle which is missing. $75 / month doesn’t really help either.
    Make just one pro license enough for people that doesn’t reach the gross revenue of $100,000. So $1,500 or $75/month for the whole suite for teams that haven’t made enough money yet. I sweat to all that is holy, that if that became reality I would pay it in a heartbeat and never look back. And gladly pay the extra $3,000 if i reach the revenue limitation.

I would love to help support Unity, since I love the product, but the cost for me is just too severe.

40. OC

August 15, 2014 at 1:00 pm /

Not sure what @TJ and @DEEDS are whining about. Forum users are not a majority, most of the developers, indie or pro, don’t have time to troll the forums and complain about the pricing policy or that they weren’t important enough to take the survey, they’re busy making games.

While the subscription model is far from ideal it’s still much better than anything involving royalties. The free version of Unity is also more than enough for most games. If your games don’t make enough money to even cover the $75 a month subscription though, getting a Unity Pro license is not going to change anything.

41. Woodlauncher

August 15, 2014 at 12:20 pm /

@DEEDS Oh bloody hell.

Forum users are a VERY SMALL MINORITY of all Unity users and forum posters are an even smaller one so it is completely uninteresting that you haven’t seen anyone mentioning a survey.

I think that the Subscription pricing is very silly but the completely fallacious arguments that you are making isn’t helping your case at all.

42. Deeds

August 15, 2014 at 10:49 am /

@ARAS & Unity market surveyors.

Interestingly, not one single person in the forums mentioned ever receiving any sort of survey, queries or requests for feedback from Unity.

So none of them did?

Yet you claim a “random slice” of all our customers… just not those on the forums?

But you did use the word “customers”. Do you consider those that use the free version of Unity to be “customers”, or tire kickers?

43. Aras Pranckevičius

August 15, 2014 at 10:37 am /

@LAUTIÉ: You’d have to realize Richard Fine is a Unity user just like everyone else. “He” did not select anything for any polls.

“People ask for a GUI system above all.” — yes, and that’s why it will be in Unity 4.6, not only in 5.0+.

As far as I know, the polls we did about pricing were sent to a random slice of all our customers, both the ones that use free version and the ones who use Pro. So it’s *not* “just some AAA big clients”.

44. Lautié Alexandre

August 15, 2014 at 10:18 am /

“RICHARD FINE 15 Aug 2014, 2:24 am
    @TJ: There’s a huge amount of communication that happens beyond forum posts and blog comments. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that what you see is all there is. (In particular, people who are OK with things tend not to say so unless asked…)”

Yes, your are right. People you have selected to get heir opinion are evangelist or big AAA client. They are selected because they told you what you like to hear or have deep pockets :)

The most of the community don’t ask for a better render. Your marketing team ask for it, to get the AAA market. People ask for a GUI system above all.

Your close community you’ve selected, don’t care about pricing, because they are big player that can meett you at Unite. YOUR client never express the same opinion. The forum probably cover 10 times more client than your private mailing list. Still you don’t care much about their opinion.

Take the courage to assume your own opinion, and don’t tell it’s the majority of the community that asked you…because it’s not the truth.

45. NewGuy

August 15, 2014 at 10:17 am /

As a newbie to Unity, I’m also totally opposed to the idea of royalties, so +1 to Unity for rejecting it. However I’d still think you need a different pricing structure for indies. Many companies ( Livecode for example) have different prices for the pro-package depending on whether you’re making more than 50.000$ annually or not. Or at least you could introduce some sort of lease-to-buy option.

46. Indy

August 15, 2014 at 10:01 am /

@JONAS
    But you could allow people with Unity 4 Pro to only export to WebGL in Unity 5 (with Pro feautues from Unity 4, but without Enlighten etc.). Simple and kind option.

47. jonas echterhoff

August 15, 2014 at 9:37 am /

@INDY

No, we will not have WebGL support in Unity 4.x

48. Ronnie

August 15, 2014 at 8:49 am /

Fantastic news – Thank you Unity. Even as a hobby developer the inclusion of WebGL makes me perfectly happy to pay for the pro upgrade from 4 to 5.

49. salmonmoose

August 15, 2014 at 8:15 am /

I’d love to see the weekly updates in more of a patch form rather than a giant binary blob. I live in Australia, and live in an area of poor internet – downloading 1+gigs is both slow and unreliable. It’d be great if Unity could grab patch parts and update just the bits that need to be.

50. Alex

August 15, 2014 at 6:43 am /

Great to hear. Thanks for making such a fantastic, accessible engine, and empowering developers all around the world.

51. Brett

August 15, 2014 at 6:17 am /

@RAJ

We’re currently focused on supporting iOS and Android due to greater number of developers on these platforms, and we plan to also support Windows Phone, but no timeframe for that yet.

52. Bryan Livingston

August 15, 2014 at 5:01 am /

Fair enough on the pricing, but I hope you are seriously considering opening up the source code and consider accepting patches from the community.

53. Brett

August 15, 2014 at 4:32 am /

@FORMULABILL

Our annual survey will be sent out in the coming weeks, and that will be sent to all users that registered when downloading and activating the product instead of a subset. Even if you switch to Unreal, do take the time to take the survey so your voice can still be heard. Thanks!

54. Formulabill

August 15, 2014 at 4:26 am /

You guys have officially chased me off to Unreal. You sure as hell didn’t send an email with a poll or a survey cause I never got one so I’m curious what small group you got your input from? Pre-order folks? Doesn’t matter regardless. I won’t be updating to Unity 5 anytime soon.

55. Cynicatpro

August 15, 2014 at 4:23 am /

to pitch in on the pricing debate, i think unity’s current model is fine but i would like to maybe see some other options as well. what if you could buy parts of the pro license as well as the whole bundle if needed. i would like to get the streaming stuff once its done then work towards the graphics stuff later. just an idea. the subscription model could be improved alot too. the 12 month contract is really not enticing. what if i dont have $75 that month? i get a $75 debt + $30 overdraft fee rather than just not having unity pro that month. might as well actually buy the full license which is way out of my pay range. so as a result i have not bought anything of the sort. if you had a $100-$200 feature pack i might be more inclined to buy. i still like the idea of buying the bundle but buying the parts i need for a given game would be way more valuable to me even if in the end i payed more once i bought them all. anyway that’s my 2¢. cant wait for unite guys!

56. Nick

August 15, 2014 at 3:22 am /

I’ll just speak up here on the pricing – i think it is excellent the way it is. I would just add in a lease to buy option. Anyone who is making a serious business with unity will buy it outright. I know i already have my unity 5 license, great value!

WebGL Free – Great! I assume this means the webplayer is going to be phased out.

57. Brett

August 15, 2014 at 3:00 am /

@TJ

It’s true that generally the active forum community is not in the “overwhelming majority”, so it can appear that the majority from the point of view doesn’t tally with this post. We talked to and surveyed users directly around the world (and engaged a 3rd party firm to help us) and these statements are based on the combination of both. We have a decade long track record of helping our users and championing our users, and if you think that somehow that’s changed, then I can understand your doubts.

58. Ippokratis

August 15, 2014 at 2:35 am /

I like the news.
    WebGL support without added cost is valuable.

59. Richard Fine

August 15, 2014 at 2:24 am /

I mean, lying about this wouldn’t be in Unity’s interest – it’s not like the people who aren’t OK with the pricing are going to go “oh, well, if everyone ELSE is OK with it then I guess I’ll pay up” – if Unity are wrong about this then it’s going to hurt their bottom line in big ways.

60. tj

August 15, 2014 at 2:10 am /

@GRAHAM DUNNETT 15 Aug 2014, 12:15 am

But a Majority of people were NOT ok, with your current pricing model. That’s a flat lie in this article. I read all the posts on the subject.

61. pragma

August 15, 2014 at 1:45 am /

@GRAHAM DUNNETT: Thanks for your comment. from when is this statistics? is it publicly available?

62. Indy

August 15, 2014 at 1:22 am /

@BRETT
    I mean: I have Unity 4 Pro license and game/app that works in Webplayer using Pro features. In future, when browsers would disable plugins, the only option to export to WebGL and remain Pro features would be Unity 5 Pro license.

63. NoiseCrime

August 15, 2014 at 12:55 am /

Fantastic news on the webgl front and quite unexpected. This moves reinforces my belief in Unity as a development platform for the future without limits.

64. Brett

August 15, 2014 at 12:32 am /

@INDY

Not sure I understand your request, but with the new WebGL add-on you can make a build of your game that works without any plugins on supported browsers. There is no need for a web player to be installed by users.

65. Brett

August 15, 2014 at 12:30 am /

@Richard: Yeah, we haven’t decided the exact free/pro split yet. We’ll lock that down in the coming weeks.

66. Indy

August 15, 2014 at 12:30 am /

I wish for ability to WebGL Pro export for Unity 4 Pro license owners in order they be able to export they project to new “webplayer”…

67. Richard Fine

August 15, 2014 at 12:26 am /

Great news on the WebGL front – I kinda figured you guys would do this sooner or later anyway, seeing as how the web player is going to be defunct in a couple of years.

As far as pricing goes, I think the important thing now is what you’re thinking with regards to the Free/Pro feature split – i.e. you’re not changing the way you charge for Pro, but perhaps you’ll change what ‘Pro’ entails exactly. I think we still don’t know which new Unity 5 features will be free and which will require Pro. Any idea when you’ll be ready to announce something on this front?

68. Arnaud Couturier

August 15, 2014 at 12:22 am /

Short post, but packed with such great news!

69. Graham Dunnett

August 15, 2014 at 12:15 am /

@PRAGMA – you personally might be totally okay with a 5% royalty or something like that. The majority of people who gave us their opinions were against royalties. If you have a great game idea, and want to sell a percentage of future revenue upfront to generate cash to fund the development, then angel investors are worth talking to.

70. Mihai

August 15, 2014 at 12:04 am /

Will there be a way in unity5 so we can render math symbols(radicals, integrals, etc) in gui system?

71. John

August 14, 2014 at 11:53 pm /

Unity likes their echo chamber. Amazingly people always want exactly what they are doing.

72. pragma

August 14, 2014 at 11:11 pm /

“And you also raised a strong voice against a royalty-based business model.”
    No. The opposite is true.

73. Darky

August 14, 2014 at 10:39 pm /

Excellent choice for developers as for most of us it is Webplayer 2.0 and it’s a really great technology. Priceless sure is the best price ;)

74. jonas echterhoff

August 14, 2014 at 10:28 pm /

@Tim: For demos and more information on WebGL, check out or previous blog post here: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/04/29/on-the-future-of-web-publishing-in-unity/

To speak to someone at Unity, if you are from Seattle, you should visit Unite next week if you can.

75. Tim

August 14, 2014 at 10:24 pm /

Great news! Do you have any demos for the above?

I am creating a VR and Health Care impact report for CES 2015 http://www.DigitalHealthSummit.com and would love to speak with someone at Unity. What is the best way to connect?

Thanks, Tim – Seattle

76. James Griggs

August 14, 2014 at 10:09 pm /

Again you guys rock!!! WebGL is pretty awesome considering iOS8 supports it in the browser(Safari). It will open up for our games to be played by so many people without a download of an app. And you guys made the right decision. Unity user for life!!

77. Raj Dhillon

August 14, 2014 at 10:07 pm /

Any plans for Unity Ads to support Windows Phone?

78. Raj Dhillon

August 14, 2014 at 10:06 pm /

Awesome … I’m so glad I ordered Unity 5 already. I was one of those who assumed that WebGL was included as a Pro feature when I read the initial pre-order and was perturbed that it was planned as an extra. I’m so glad that you guys rethought that stance and decided to make it included. Many thanks!

79. Frode

August 14, 2014 at 10:00 pm /

This is EPIC! an Unreal decision… Thanks!

80. Fernando Zapata

August 14, 2014 at 9:51 pm /

I believe you guys made the right choice :)

81. Jerr