Expanded Oculus Rift Support in Unity

September 20, 2014 in Technology

More awesome news today as Brendan Iribe, during his Oculus Connect conference keynote, announced that our two companies have extended our partnership in order to ensure that Unity is available for all of our development community. That means whether you’re using the free version of Unity or Unity Pro, you’ll be able to create awesome VR experiences for the Oculus Rift and the Oculus VR Store for free!

We’re working with Oculus to create an official add-on supporting the Oculus Rift in Unity that everyone will have access to for free. We know a lot of you have interest in creating new experiences and experimenting with one of the most exciting platforms around so we’re very happy to make that as easy as possible.

The Oculus add-on will include stereo imaging optimizations, 3D audio support, deeper Unity editor integration, inclusion of the Oculus Rift in the Unity development and debugging workflow, integration of Oculus-specific APIs within Unity, and direct publishing to the Oculus platform.

We do want to make sure everyone can work on Oculus projects while the Unity for Oculus add-on is in development. To that end, we’re working with Oculus to make the current Oculus plug-in, one that has been available for free for Unity Pro users, also available for those making games with the free version of Unity. This new plugin version will be made available for free download on the Oculus developer site as soon as possible.

We’re already seeing some amazing things being made in Unity for the Oculus Rift. Projects like Lucky’s Tale, Game of Thrones: The Wall, The Gallery: Six Elements, DarkNet, Titans of Space, Blocked In, and our 2014 Unity Awards winner for Best Student Project, The Rift: U.R.I.D.I.S., demonstrate the great creative potential in virtual reality and the Oculus Rift. We can’t wait to see what you can do with dedicated tools!

David

1. jean

November 3, 2014 at 2:36 am /

How do I get my game running with the dk2? I made a short game, got the unity patch for rift but now I’m lost.

1. Nicholas Nooch

November 18, 2014 at 7:37 pm /

Hi there Jean I was also wondering the same thing. Would you happen to have any trails for me to follow. I am working on trying to get a model of a building visualized with the Rift. If you have the time I would really appreciate the pointers.

2. FuzzyQuills

October 28, 2014 at 11:30 am /

Hi, me again… :D

Ok, all I can guess is, this so-called “Oculus VR” patch has somehow given us a full free pro license!

And I can prove it too: got the Oculus VR bit, loaded it in unity… HOW COME DEFERRED RENDERING’S WORKING IN FREE?! O.O

3. FuzzyQuills

October 27, 2014 at 4:52 am /

Ok, it’s me again, I am VERY CONCERNED after doing some research on this patch, and everyone has said it always unlocks RenderTextures, and allows publishing with them! is this even LEGAL?! Of course, for Oculus, it’s supposed to be like that, but with just standard desktop only… I can smell a rat! :D

4. FuzzyQuills

October 27, 2014 at 4:48 am /

Well, is there actually officially RenderTextures in free? or is it another license bug related to the Oculus VR patch? Reminds me of one I found a while back in 4.3… :D

5. CHRIS

October 25, 2014 at 8:14 am /

I forgot to mention something.
    This does not mean that I will not buy Unity Pro.
    I am still however saving up for Unity Pro because of some features like AVPro, navigation, shaders, FacePlus, a few other assets that require Pro and of course Dark grey.

I do however support Unity as I own already more than 5000$ in assets or more and that will keep growing over time. Unity is not perfect, but it is slowly getting there and it makes everything very flexible indeed. If I hadn’t kept buying assets, I would have owned Unity Pro a long time ago.

But who cares?
    I am now a part of the move and I feel that Unity and Oculus have a great tech changing future together. I am by no means, not yet a professional.

This is my hobby and a hobby that I wish to at some point turn into something very creative and awesome. I am confident that if you stay with it, you will not just be a big part of it but also be a big contribution to breaking the commercial market into bite size pieces for every man/woman.
    So stay with it, it’s all new and can be a big pain in the ass sometimes when things don’t work as expected.
    BUT we see now that people are working very hard, very hard indeed to give us all that ultimate experience in time and with time.

I have learned to now be patient about it all, as it is rapidly all gluing together.

“Smoke me a kipper skipper; I’ll be back for breakfast.”

6. Reenforcements

October 25, 2014 at 7:58 am /

Thank you SO much!

7. CHRIS

October 25, 2014 at 7:48 am /

Thanks and thank you guys and girls all, thank you very much.
    Oculus and Unity have made the right choice here, I will try it out later today, so fingers crossed.

8. David

October 24, 2014 at 10:02 pm /

With the new release of the Oculus SDK (0.4.3)
    We now have Unity Free Oculus support …

Go get it!

1. Peter

October 24, 2014 at 10:16 pm /

Hi.
      I don’t get it.

Downloaded and installed the latest oculus 0.4.3 sdk and runtime. Downloaded the “Unity Free Integration” package. Imported the package, opened the cubes scene and hit play.

A ton of errors, among them, several “License error. This plugin is only supported in Unity Pro!”

What am I doing wrong? I am using Unity 4.6.0b20, is this not supported?

1. Ben Visness

October 25, 2014 at 1:10 am /

Same here. What gives?

1. Ernst

October 25, 2014 at 2:21 am /

From the release notes:
          Unity 4.5.2 and 4.5.5 are supported; 4.5.3 and 4.5.4 are not.

9. Josh

October 24, 2014 at 9:21 pm /

Unity free support exists in Oculus Rift SDK 0.4.3 Beta announced today.

10. me

October 23, 2014 at 11:51 am /

UT, can we get a status update on this?
    I’m not necessarily asking for a precise release date, but is it really asking too much to just post something like: “we are 80% done”, “we are 40% done” or even “we haven’t even started yet”?

Come on, you can do it…

11. vrism

October 23, 2014 at 11:15 am /

when…?
    WHEN?
    Really, Oculus + Unity is not smooth right now, please do something about it, people are relying on you.

12. Bullardo

October 22, 2014 at 7:16 pm /

Any update on this? will we see this in 4.6?

13. CHRIS

October 17, 2014 at 2:08 pm /

I have the feeling, that we are all going to have to wait for Christmas. The big question is then, which Christmas?

1. Greg Roberts

October 21, 2014 at 4:10 am /

Seriously, how much longer do we have to wait? I have a Unity Pro license, and it works there, but some of my colleagues only have free, and the OculusUnityIntegration is not yet working for them. Any news, Unity? MAKE IT HAPPEN, BECAUSE THOUSANDS ARE WAITING. The RiftFAQ

14. Alexandre Fiset

October 14, 2014 at 11:51 pm /

Will this new plugin work with the 64 bit Unity 5 Beta editor? We are having issues with the current Oculus DLL in Unity 5 64 bit.

The sooner we get our hands on this new toy, the better :D

15. Benny

October 11, 2014 at 3:00 pm /

So, any eta? It was said that it gets releasd in “days” not weeks. Its already “weeks” now. Any Eta? Sorry for my impatience, but cant wait!

16. Bernhard Grabowski

October 8, 2014 at 9:55 am /

Please excuse my impatience, but I’d kindly like to ask about the progress and the estimated availability date.

1. reinaldo

October 9, 2014 at 10:31 pm /

facebook.com

1. CHRIS

October 10, 2014 at 1:53 pm /

?

17. David Gallagher

October 2, 2014 at 7:43 pm /

Hi Graham, you said days not weeks, I am very interested in the Unity free aspect. Have you any update on the progress ?

18. DUST LOONG

October 2, 2014 at 7:16 pm /

很不错,但能否透露大致的时间?RenderTexture是对Rift的特例么?

19. Chris

October 1, 2014 at 3:54 pm /

Any new news on this?

20. Brah

September 29, 2014 at 4:52 pm /

So when is ETA?

21. codecracker

September 27, 2014 at 11:42 pm /

hi,
    will the barrel distortion effect value be editable??
    i’m asking this because i want to develop for google cardboard and i don’t know if the barrel distortion effect
    for the rift and the cardboard is the same.
    thx.

1. Martin Dobes

September 28, 2014 at 11:57 am /

You do not need the barrel distortion for the Google cardboard since they use different lenses.

1. code cracker

September 28, 2014 at 1:48 pm /

r u sure about that??
        i saw the google official release video of the cardboard
        and they say that the android sdk they provide, generates a barrel distortion to cancel out the pincusion distortion effect of the lenses.
        i hope you are right, it will be much easier :))
        thx again.

22. Chris

September 24, 2014 at 7:16 am /

Fantastic!! I was starting to get a little worried that the free users will get left out and then we would loose a lot of Oculus fans to UE. It means now I can actually make oculus stuff in Unity free and sell it, thenbe able to at last buy Pro. I have been trying to save up for pro but 24h sales keep blowing my savings.

Thanks Unity and Oculus for this great news.

23. Marco Siino

September 23, 2014 at 10:35 pm /

That’s a really great news! I was expecting it would happen one day and now that you’ve announced it i’m really excited about that! can’t wait!

24. Mick

September 23, 2014 at 1:00 pm /

So what’s the advantage of purchasing Unity Pro if you can publish games on the free version ?

1. bmcmcm

September 23, 2014 at 9:51 pm /

After 100K in sales you have to buy Unity Pro. Smart tactics.

25. Rirath

September 23, 2014 at 12:00 am /

Thanks Graham, Dave Hampson mentioned as much on the Oculus subreddit just recently. (He’s been doing a great job bringing us this news, by the way!) This is truly excellent news that just got even better.

Looking forward to doing some more Unity projects!

26. Eduardevils

September 22, 2014 at 10:34 pm /

Another desapier frontiers :)

27. ZimM

September 22, 2014 at 4:28 pm /

How is it going to work on the free version of Unity without RenderTexture? Some Rift-only API, or maybe RenderTextures will be made free (dreams, I know)?

1. Aras Pranckevičius

September 23, 2014 at 9:03 am /

@ZimM: hey not everything at once! :) Oculus will work very similarly how “directional light shadowmaps” or “terrain billboards” work in free version (which both internally need render-to-texture, and are special cased to work without a Pro license).

1. ZimM

October 25, 2014 at 10:52 pm /

Well, I’ve just tested it, and it seems like we kind of DO get RenderTextures for free:
        Do you think this is a bug and should be reported?

28. Graham Dunnett

September 22, 2014 at 1:15 pm /

@rirath – yes – you will be able to target Gear VR in the free version.

29. MSFX

September 22, 2014 at 11:55 am /

This will still support DK1 and DK2 right?

30. yourHost

September 22, 2014 at 7:00 am /

Really happy about this, thanks guys!

31. NihongoGamer

September 22, 2014 at 6:13 am /

Awesome news! Especially the news about being able to use it with Unity Free! Also loved the demo of the idol concert at Tokyo Game Show this past weekend. Made me jump back a bit!

32. TK

September 22, 2014 at 3:09 am /

Most excellent and amazing news! Thank you!!

33. krisgalama

September 22, 2014 at 1:24 am /

Now only if the damn oculus would finally ship to me… I can actually so stuff with it… thank you to the Unity Team, and Oculus too, for making this possible for the developers amongst us who do not have the money to buy Unity Pro :)

34. Aleksader

September 21, 2014 at 6:58 pm /

FANTASTIC! :-D

35. Thomas Roberts

September 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm /

Amazing news, very excited to use Unity with my Oculus now!

36. MBBMBBMM

September 21, 2014 at 1:38 pm /

Very cool! Yep editor mode support would be phantastic

37. Rirath

September 21, 2014 at 4:17 am /

Exciting news, how about Gear VR? Are we still looking at unity pro + Android pro, or will the same support cover ‘powered by Oculus’ devices as well?

38. Gerald

September 21, 2014 at 2:19 am /

great – I hope one of the next announcements will be “Unity supports Direct-to-Rift mode in the editor” :)

39. Graham

September 21, 2014 at 1:23 am /

Great news and good commercial decision IMO.

I’ve spent a lot of my career explaining to my employers (IBM included) the benefits of letting casual developers have free access to development tools especially with a new technology.

As a hobbyist developer, it means I am more likely to use Unity now and, if my company decides to develop Apps, I will use the professional version later.

So happy to see this announcement !

40. Adams Immersive

September 20, 2014 at 11:54 pm /

Great! My Rift project is kind of a side project for now, but this will help see it to completion!

41. Scott Evernden

September 20, 2014 at 11:31 pm /

This is great but I just struggled to scrape up the $1500 10 days ago strictly for the ability to build for Rift. And now I feel a bit screwed …

1. Scott Evernden

September 25, 2014 at 6:26 pm /

And Unity has cheerfully refunded me w/o any issues…

42. Graham Dunnett

September 20, 2014 at 10:44 pm /

@Erwin – we’ll get a patch out as soon as possible, thinks days not weeks.

@Nathan – none of us at Unity have lives outside of work you know. ;-)

1. dmanvr

October 10, 2014 at 2:10 pm /

lol – well I guess weeks are technically just made up of days ;-D

43. Nathan

September 20, 2014 at 10:13 pm /

Great news, although not too surprising, haha. The most surprising part of this post is that it was put up on a Saturday :)

44. Thomas Pasieka

September 20, 2014 at 9:57 pm /

Great news indeed even though I do already own Pro. Looking forward to a better integration – it’s currently a tad painful ;)

45. Kerry Baldino

September 20, 2014 at 8:45 pm /

Really awesome. Oculus for Unity free. That will help. Thank you Unity Team.

46. Erwin

September 20, 2014 at 8:33 pm /

Awesome! At what point in time will this functionality be available? Will there be a patch or upgrade of version 4.5, or do we have to wait until version 4.6 or 5?

47. Yvo

September 20, 2014 at 8:27 pm /

YEAH I have Unity Pro but this is awesome news voor the community!

48. ninjaboyjohn

September 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm /

Woo! Great news!

49. Andreas

September 20, 2014 at 8:07 pm /

Amazing

50. Andrew slater

September 20, 2014 at 8:01 pm /

Awesome!!

1. Fabi

October 14, 2014 at 2:48 am /

With continually garteer computer power and unfathomably large memory spaces, there are bound to be many compelling devices coming soon. That would be true even if there were no new science in the pipeline. On the contrary, new science is coming at us every day now.In the past I have often hoped I would live long enough to see the future in terms of technology. That has now come to pass. In fact, with pretty good statistical life expectancy remaining, now I mainly hope not to be too overwhelmed by new devices on the way.