4.6 is Released with Source for UI System!

November 26, 2014 in Technology

ui-code-closeupToday, we are delighted to release the awesome Unity 4.6, which contains our new UI system as the headline feature. The release cycle has indeed been long, but we’ve taken the time needed to work with you to test the UI system and incorporate your feedback to ship a UI system that we’re really proud of.

Unity 4.6 also includes x86 support for Android – you can now select FAT, x86 or ARMv7 as a build target. This will allow you to export for x86 Android devices, like the new Nexus player from Google.

You can find out more details about what is included in Unity 4.6 on the Release Notes page.

Another Step for Our Open-Source Initiative

As promised, the source code for our UI system is live on BitBucket. Using the included solution file, you can build a UI module that will work as a drop-in replacement for the bundled UI system. To get started with building your own UI module, take a look at the repository’s README file. As always with our Open Source components, our UI system is released under an MIT/X11 license.

With the source being available, you’re free to customize and improve the UI system in whatever way makes sense to you (and also to share those changes with others). We love to work with our community — see the README file in the repository for information on our policy regarding pull requests.

For more information about our Open Source offerings and plans, take a look at some of our previous blog posts: More Open Source Initiatives from Unity and Getting Started as a Contributor to Our Open Source Projects.

Community: it’s now your move – time to show us what new awesome content you can create!

P.S. iOS ARM 64-bit is on the way

Don’t forget that as we announced here, we plan to ship a beta preview of our iOS ARM64-bit feature based on Unity 4.6.x in January 2015.

On October 20, Apple announced that, starting February 1, 2015, new iOS apps uploaded to the App Store must include 64-bit support. We’re very aware of people having nearly completed games on Unity 4.x and we’re working hard to deliver a solid solution for Unity 4.6.x.

Due to heavy code reuse, the preview of iOS ARM64-bit in Unity 4.6.x is expected to be on par with the Unity 5 implementation.

1. Mayank

December 22, 2014 at 8:32 pm /

Awwwesome :D Thanks Unity team.

2. Sazzy

December 21, 2014 at 2:04 am /

Like others, I too sadly have problems with Unity on Windows 8.1 64 bit :(

It’s so frustrating and I don’t want to move on from Unity to something else, so is there a fix around? I’m even seriously thinking of going back to Windows 7 if there isn’t… !!!

Please help :)

Sazzy

3. Villhelmus

December 20, 2014 at 3:59 pm /

Using Unity 4.6 crash to desktop every time accessing adt.exe for Android while the license check is in process, EVERY TIME. Good Job!

4. Fabio Nakane

December 12, 2014 at 6:26 pm /

I’m having a problem with unity 4.6.X install.
    Installation crashes upon start.
    I got an NSIS Error.

I’ve downloaed it several times and the same error pops every time
    Windows 8.1 64bits.

Any feedback?
    Thanks.

5. blueD

December 3, 2014 at 4:07 am /

Please consider adding vector based rendering, resolution independent interfaces . Then, I love you guys forever!

6. Seneral

November 30, 2014 at 9:51 pm /

This is looking great, love how easy the workflow is now:) Was a bit confusing first, but’s gone now:)

Though I would like to see some more possibilities to connect the system with code, as there are quite some things that require additional code and information passes between both.
    For example I would like to change the text value by code, but it seems I can’t acccess the component, nor choose a variable to display as a text, nor pass the text component directly to the bit of code I’m adressing with my button click event.

Probably theres some way I’m missing as you guys mostly thought of everything so far! ;)

7. Flavio

November 30, 2014 at 6:04 pm /

I’m having errors with the license after upgrade unity 3d, when I try to open the program it says liseça with this information invalidates two button appears and says to re turn or exit, when I press to re activate says gave a error to re activate the license, “there was a problem communicating with the license server”

1. errexoj

December 1, 2014 at 7:55 am /

the problem is your own stupidity: stealing software and writing on the blog of a company which produces it !

2. koblavi

December 4, 2014 at 2:28 am /

Well, I’d still like to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that ERREXOJ is wrong about you :-P . That notice sometimes comes up when your system time is not correctly set. so you might want to check that as well. If it is cracked however, I’m sorry, you’re on your own.

8. Andrew Scott

November 29, 2014 at 8:45 am /

I am having issues with this, but I had these same issues right though all the public beta’s as well. Any uGUI only shows me place holders, with that I mean a sprite, image or UI is not shown at all. But I also got a new problem when installing this version 4.6, the other day. Since then I can no longer build / deploy to windows.

I get some message about can’t run file explorer as it is in Administrative mode..

Ok, Google hasn’t heard of this yet, it seams.

1. Andrew Scott

November 29, 2014 at 8:46 am /

I should have stated, Windows 8.1 Metro apps not standalone.

1. Tomza

November 29, 2014 at 10:56 am /

I have problems with Unity on Windows 8.1 64 bit too. I think Windows 8.1 is a very troublesome operating system. I had no problems with Windows 7.

Unity Team should test their products on Windows 8.1 64 bit to check if they are compatible.

2. Richard Fine

November 30, 2014 at 12:30 pm /

@Andrew: This does sound somewhat like the machine you’re working on is in a weird state, but if you’re certain you’re doing everything right, could you file a bug (Help -> Report a Bug) which will send us your project so we can take a look?

9. Kevin

November 29, 2014 at 7:52 am /

UI Text does not work on iPhone devices. Work in editor/standalone/ipad/web. not work on iPhone and only iPhone

1. Richard Fine

December 3, 2014 at 1:19 am /

It does work on iPhone; we tested it pretty heavily and other users are using it successfully. Maybe you should ask on the forum if you’re having trouble?

10. Justin

November 28, 2014 at 6:56 am /

Since you’ve adopted ngui into your engine now, for the love of me PLEASE adopt playmaker as well.

1. Vilmantas Balasevicius

November 28, 2014 at 10:49 am /

Justin,

we didn’t adopt NGUI to our engine. Yes, few years ago we had creator of NGUI working for us, but he left more than a year ago, and large team of our developers did continue development until now…New unity gui is definitely not NGUI.

Kind regards,
      Vilmantas

11. ideveloper

November 28, 2014 at 4:07 am /

Thank. Finally got it unity 4.6 and we enjoying feature of new UI.

12. lee

November 28, 2014 at 4:05 am /

First I would like to thank the new version 4.6 of unity, it has a lot of great upgrade. but I had to go back to the old version 4.5.5. The reason I do so because the project I did in previous versions, when I build the package file * apk for Android, the file size is about 17MB very small, but in the new version 4.6 solution file size to 23MB spike. I do not know why the new version to be such unity. About 6MB increase is the problem for mobile devices. The aim of the development is to create the best apps, beautiful, and also save space.
    I’m using the free version of Unity.

Once again thank the power of unity.
    Thanks and best regards,

1. errexoj

November 28, 2014 at 5:45 am /

Unity 5 should be more modularised, so build sizes should be hopefully better, too.

1. Lee

November 28, 2014 at 8:57 am /

Thank you very much!

2. Aras Pranckevičius

November 28, 2014 at 6:41 am /

@lee, that doesn’t sound right. Can you file a bug report with a project that shows this?

1. lee

November 28, 2014 at 7:29 am /

Dear Aras,
        My project to build the APK file on Unity 4.6 still works fine, no bugs occur, the only apk file sizes larger than the old version.

1. errexoj

November 28, 2014 at 8:16 am /

Yes, submit the bug report BECAUSE of bigger resulting apk built size

2. errexoj

November 28, 2014 at 8:19 am /

3. Tomza

November 28, 2014 at 11:21 am /

In general, when you make a build in Unity, the built directory is big. Too big for me. And still, when the project is big (very big like mine), going into Play Mode for the first time is long. No resources. It should be stuff on the scene only. I wrote to Unity Technologies many times. The problem was in 4.6 and now in 5.0.

And another thing – why all scripts are in one namespace. There are conflicts, especially when you have a big project and wish to have many assets installed. It would be better if EVERY asset was installed in a SEPARATED namespace.

I wish somebody from Unity Team to answer me.

13. Tomza

November 27, 2014 at 9:33 pm /

‘Another Step for Our Open-Source Initiative’

Well, it’s a step in the right direction, but one step only. I think Unity Team should take into consideration Linux community. I know, I know it has been said all regarding this topic on Unity forums. However, I wish to see Unity Team more open for Linux solutions. I don’t mean the Linux Editor because Unity Technologies think such software won’t give much profits. I understand, but you should cooperate with Wine Team to give Linux fans a smooth solution. The most important obstacle is that Unity on Wine cannot use Asset Store. Is there a way to make our life easier, Unity Team? Please do not ignore thousands users running or wish to run Unity on Linux. They are your clients. I’m your client too.

1. osiris

November 28, 2014 at 5:59 am /

Totally agree

1. Tomza

November 28, 2014 at 11:12 am /

But I don’t know if Unity Team agree with me :).

14. Mathew Penny

November 27, 2014 at 9:30 am /

When I found out 4.6 is out of beta my mouse hovered over NGUI and then I hit delete.

1. Adnan

November 27, 2014 at 9:45 am /

Mathew Buhahahahahah.
      That’s coool :P :D

2. Athomield

November 27, 2014 at 3:49 pm /

I don’t mean to be a jerk, but NGUI is still a better solution since the the GUI is based on it and the Unity folks won’t give it all for free.

1. Aras Pranckevičius

November 27, 2014 at 5:12 pm /

@Athomield: there’s nothing in 4.6 UI system that requires Unity Pro. So yes, it is quite literally “for free”.

1. Eduardo

November 27, 2014 at 8:29 pm /

I agree to this fine gentleman, today we bath in champagne.

2. Mike Croswell

November 28, 2014 at 1:25 pm /

Yes, really nice!

15. Bardelot Alexandre

November 27, 2014 at 8:04 am /

Congrats guys, i will try to contribute to the code, i have some ideas for some new cool features :)

16. me

November 27, 2014 at 6:50 am /

Sweet! Great Job!

17. Aaron Sullivan

November 27, 2014 at 3:25 am /

<— thankful :D
    Takes time to do things right, though many companies just ship it when it's wrong. It's been a tough wait, but there have always been alternatives and as a bonus some people on the asset store got to benefit in the meantime. Looking forward to digging into it more.

18. mememe

November 27, 2014 at 2:03 am /

any love for direct Playmaker support of the UI ?

1. Richard Fine

December 3, 2014 at 1:23 am /

That’s up to the Playmaker guys, but from what I’ve read, it’s being worked on and they hope to ship some UI support in Playmaker 1.8.

19. Breyer

November 26, 2014 at 9:43 pm /

Very cool! however i saw that source doesnt contain UnityEventDrawer – this is intended? if yes for me this is a bit disappointment – yeah this isnt sealed so i could extend this but still this isnt ideal because custom UnityEventDrawer wont affect existing UnityEvent….

20. David

November 26, 2014 at 8:12 pm /

The UI System is work well done. I think it’s fantastic that we now have tools like this, truly well crafted tools, for the masses. Congrats!

21. JAI3D

November 26, 2014 at 7:19 pm /

Great news! Just in time for my 2nd iOS game.

22. koblavi

November 26, 2014 at 7:13 pm /

*voice of GladOS * It’s been a long time coming. Congrats team. I resisted the temptation to install the beta so I could soak in this moment. And of course thanks for the source code… Desperately hoping that IL2CPP will follow suite. Now I can finally buy a unity pro license.

1. koblavi

November 28, 2014 at 3:50 pm /

Edit: I have finally bought a unity pro license

23. chall3ng3r

November 26, 2014 at 6:46 pm /

Awesome job!

Looking forward for some amazing modifications coming up from developer community for these UI components. And many more new customized controls, like tree view, datagrid etc.

// chall3ng3r //

24. Terrance Smith

November 26, 2014 at 6:16 pm /

Awesome news!

So will this continue to be the policy as far as pull requests ?

Will you be taking pull requests?
    At this stage the UI system is undergoing further development internally with many design decisions still being debated and implemented. Also, we are waiting to see the volume of pull requests and the time it will take the process them. As such, we are prioritizing first bug fix pull requests and will iterate on this process going forward.

Or will you provide a road map for future design decisions publicly going forward?

1. Na'Tosha Bard

November 26, 2014 at 6:43 pm /

Terrance: As is mentioned in the README, once the UI team can see what is happening with the volume of existing pull requests, and as further development on the UI system internally is finalized and published, they will iterate on the policy of the types of pull requests they are willing to accept.

2. Na'Tosha Bard

November 26, 2014 at 6:46 pm /

Sorry, didn’t see the last bit of your post when I first replied ;-)

Regarding whether the roadmap for future work on the UI will be made public, I think the answer is, “Not until we’re done with the rest of the stuff we currently want to do” . . . but truthfully, we should probably wait for one of the people more involved in UI development to answer. :-)

3. Lior Tal

November 26, 2014 at 8:21 pm /

I got my PR approved :) Just my 0.02$ of support.

25. Bryan

November 26, 2014 at 5:50 pm /

About freaking time. I hope your new CEO makes whatever personnel changes that are needed to fix your dysfunctional development team.

1. Will Goldstone

November 26, 2014 at 8:24 pm /

Thanks for killing us with kindness Bryan.

1. Bryan

November 27, 2014 at 5:38 am /

Sorry. uGUI is fantastic and I should be greatful. Very pleased with the shared source.

2. Ace

November 26, 2014 at 11:54 pm /

Seriously, man… You do realize tomorrow is Thanksgiving, right? Nice timing.

26. Chris

November 26, 2014 at 5:41 pm /

While I might be tempted to ask about features that are still missing, I think today is best as just a day to congratulate you. Well done! The UI system is indeed something to be proud of.

(And for all you Unity employees who were working on other features that are part of 4.6 but are being lost in the Unity UI excitement, thank you for your hard work too!)

27. Nezabyte

November 26, 2014 at 5:35 pm /

Kudos for the source code. Even just seeing what’s behind the scenes is super helpful in utilizing the existing tools and having a better understanding of them. Thanks a bunch!

28. Jashan Chittesh

November 26, 2014 at 4:24 pm /

Awesome! This is a very special day! We’ve been waiting for years and years and I think the wait was well worth it (well, that can probably be discussed but hey – today is partytime, not discussion time ;-) ).

29. Pahe

November 26, 2014 at 2:23 pm /

Nice one! Definitely appreciate that move!