Unity 5 Launch

March 3, 2015 in Community

Unity 5 is here. For everyone.

Today is the big day. We’re launching Unity 5 globally.  Today.  Yes, you can all download it now.

There are literally over a thousand improvements in Unity 5 that we’d love to talk about.  My quick blog today is not the place to do that.  This note is being posted just as I go on stage to officially launch Unity 5 at GDC in San Francisco.  We’re live streaming the launch and you will see Joachim, Ralph Hauwert, Todd Hooper, Will Goldstone go deeper on the technical upgrades in Unity 5.0.  You will also see David, of course!  And, there will be a few ‘guests’ from the industry on stage to talk about Unity 5 in their own words.  Visit our website at Unity3d.com for the latest details and explanations.  Also — Joachim will post some thoughts later this week once he gets through the craziness of the start of GDC.

While I can’t get into all the technical detail on Unity 5 in a short post, I do want to share with you the big ideas that we think define Unity 5.

1. It is a graphics powerhouse capable of rendering beautiful, complex and detailed scenes.

2. The highly extensible and feature rich editor is now 64-bit and is even more robust than ever with additions like our huge suite of integrated audio design tools*.  (* full multi-track audio mixer.  very cool.)

3. Unity’s industry leading multiplatform support grow with WebGL and improves with better console platform support and the introduction of IL2CPP.  Unity now supports 21(!) platforms.

4. With the launch of Unity 5, we are launching Unity Cloud Build which is providing an option to developers to boost their productivity and efficiency through the cloud. You can learn more about Unity 5 here.

The business model…. one of the big questions for everyone.  We’re evolving the best licensing model in the business into something even better. We’re adding value and power so that everyone has the creative freedom they need to succeed.  Before I describe our pricing model, I want to take a moment and describe the philosophy behind the new pricing. I know I am on tricky ground in describing pricing philosophically.  For many, I am sure you’d rather just see the numbers.  Here goes.  First, know that our pricing for Unity 5 is as much about Unity and our values at Unity as it is about anything else. This is entirely different than with any company I have worked with in my life.  We did not start with setting a profit goal and working backwards.  We started with two goals and worked forward to our developers.

Goal #1 — One of the founding principles of Unity is the idea that we work hard to solve very hard technical problems so our developers / users won’t have to.  For this to be at all relevant, our best tools need to be a great value.

Goal #2 — Deep in Unity’s culture is the principle of Democracy. The goal is to price in such a way as to reflect our principles.  Democracy is the principle we were founded on, and it means we do our best to put Unity in the hands of developers, Indies or Pros, that may not have the resources to pay for it.  Its about enabling most everyone to create with the best tools we can make.  I won’t get too soppy in this post — but is is an honor for me to work in a company so mission driven and principled.

So, on to the pricing model.  We have two.

Unity 5 Professional Edition

With Unity 5 Professional Edition, we’re adding incredible value for teams of all sizes.  Unity 5 Pro will have same starting price point as with Unity 4 Pro, at  $75/month subscription or $1500 perpetual. Pro customers get all the power of Unity 5 plus:

• Team License

• Unity Cloud Build Pro (12-month subscription)

• Unity Analytics Pro (currently in beta)

• Game Performance Reporting (currently in preview)

• Asset Store Level 11 (a new collection of free assets available each month)

• Access to previews and betas

• No revenue limit, no revenue share

We think this is a huge value.  Unity 5 Pro provides a huge upgrade from Unity 4, and it comes with a bunch of extra services and a team license, all for the base pricing of Unity 4.  Inflation gone backwards… or, put another way, better value than ever before.

Unity 5 Personal Edition

Democracy is something we believe in. It’s in the DNA of those that work at Unity. It’s one of the things that drew me to the company. It’s also one of the things that is most important to the games industry. So with that in mind, we are launching Unity 5 Personal Edition. Unity 5 Personal Edition provides all the power of Unity 5 engine and editor. To clarify — this is important — it is the same Unity 5 engine and editor as in the Pro Edition.  It comes with all the features including  Profiler, Occlusion Culling, Render-to-Texture, and Post-Processing Special Effects as well as all the big Unity 5 features like Physically-based Shading, Enlighten, reflection probes and much more.

Unity 5 Personal Edition is free.  No royalty.  Free.

Unity 5 Personal Edition is for professional developers, Indies, hobbyists and studios with revenue under $100,000 and funding under $100,000.

You can see a full comparison of the licenses here.

Download Unity 5, play with it, experiment with it, and create something beautiful and lasting.

Today is a big day.  I hope you are as excited about it as we are at Unity.

John Riccitiello

1. Dom Ains

April 30, 2015 at 7:01 pm /

Now Im really conflicted. Ive spent the past few months investing time in learning Unity. I was looking forward to buying 5, but now I see its going to require 1500 + 1500 just to remove the splash screen?? My work is speculative but has to look top notch to attract investment, so I need my own custom splash screen.
    I would gladly spend $1500 for a perpetual ios + android + desktop version, but the loading screen that says “Personal Edition” is a complete barrier for me, as is the alternative… paying $3000 / 4500.

Shame Unity, I was all ready to give you $1500.

Now, not so much. :(

2. Art MAG

April 15, 2015 at 12:17 am /

give us DARK SKIN! Unreal Engine 4 has it.

3. Hamza Abbasi

April 7, 2015 at 3:54 pm /

We are providing Exams pass service to all of Odesk, Freelancer, Elance user mostly from 90% to 100% result.
    If you want to pass your any skill exams then must contact us. We are also providing you some free exams passing service.
    Must visit once our site..

4. Lonnie

April 7, 2015 at 4:27 am /

Aquí no ess así, lɑ imaginación ees lа qսe crera al cuerpo de la otra persona y lo hacе con alicientes mսy eróticos
    գue otorgan un poacer diferente ɑl sexo.

Аlso visit my web site … descargar juegos ρara android gratis,
    Mellissa,

5. AntonioModer

April 6, 2015 at 9:13 pm /

It been in my dreams.
    But now this is in the reality.
    Thank you very much for free Unity!
    I’m happy!

6. Luai

April 6, 2015 at 12:40 am /

Presonal Edition on the splash screen prevent me using unity5

7. Eric

March 24, 2015 at 7:55 pm /

Thank you Unity for giving us hobbyists the Pro features! Keep up the great work.

8. Rizkie Yudha Pratama

March 24, 2015 at 5:17 pm /

Thats Really great, but while it doesn’t have Native Linux support for the editor i’m still planing to use Minko/UE4/Godot.

Hope Linux Native will arrive soon!

1. Bickio

March 26, 2015 at 1:29 am /

I too can’t wait for a native editor, but amazingly it ran straight out of the box with playonlinux!!!! =)

9. Kame

March 23, 2015 at 7:05 pm /

This is entirely my fault, but:

Make game almost ready with Unity 4. Try to import it and compile scripts auto with Unity 5. Does not work at all. Decides to corrupt all the files. 6 months of work down in a drain.

1. Aurore

March 23, 2015 at 11:11 pm /

Really sorry to hear that, we always recommend backing up projects before upgrading to a new major version of Unity. If you have any further issues, head over to our community site for help http://unity3d.com/community

2. dufe

March 24, 2015 at 1:37 am /

So you didn’t back up your files at all and especially before doing the import?

Can’t really blame Unity for this, it’s a hard lesson you just learnt about taking responsibility for your stuff.

Next time at least make a copy of it somewhere else before doing something risky and look into getting a backup system set up. I’d suggest something like Mozy for you. Look into Git when you can too.

10. Paul

March 22, 2015 at 1:13 am /

Is anyone else having this problem. spent all day downloading unity5 only to have it freeze when i double click the icon and the small window opens saying choose which license. I can’t pick anything cause it freezes and becomes un responsive. Been trying to download it for weeks and its pissing me off that this is happening. Is anyone else going through this?

1. Aurore

March 23, 2015 at 11:13 pm /

Have you created a post on our Forums or Answers about this, it would be easier to help you with the issue there, include operating system too.

11. Steffano (Stiffix)

March 19, 2015 at 11:31 pm /

Many many thanks Unity. Version 5 personal is the best gift I could have. I’m in love with it

12. James Lewis

March 19, 2015 at 10:48 am /

me: oh sweet!! unity 5!!!!
    Unity4: Dont leave me plz :'(
    me: bite me *Deletes Unity4 for new update*
    [A few minutes later]
    Me: Hello Unity5
    Unity5: Ive got more bugs than u can imagine Kid!!
    Me : wtf why so many things no work?
    Unity5: cos yolo
    Me: just publish my game?
    Unity5: No!, how bout i get it to 90% and crash for ya?
    Me: k
    Unity5: And while im at it ill randomly create 16Gig of data in your LocalLow file…
    Me: Theres no space on my laptop for that :/
    Unity5: I DONT CARE!!

10/10 would go back to unity4 if i didnt restart my game already.

1. Jackson

April 22, 2015 at 5:22 pm /

I can’t even select my Country of residence on the start up :P

13. Andrew

March 15, 2015 at 10:53 am /

unity5 is here!!!

14. I love unity

March 14, 2015 at 3:57 pm /

I love unity

15. rose

March 14, 2015 at 11:20 am /

ummm i want to install unity 3d 5 in my mac book pro with OS X 10.6.8
    how m i suppose to install it.. please helppppp anbody :)

16. parks daniel

March 13, 2015 at 11:54 am /

I love Unity games and m very excited about this launch!!
    i saw some of amazing unity 3D games here..which any one can make easily themselves..: http://goo.gl/wIWU9D
    But who is that guy with a mustache promotional images?
    BTW great work unity guys you are the best. Unity has become an amazing tool. Thanks so much!

17. Ptur

March 12, 2015 at 11:08 am /

It broke my project, not on convertation, after i made some changed, project setting was dropped to default, many phisics bug in 2d, some characters start fly.

18. Guillermo Cortes Cuesta

March 10, 2015 at 9:38 pm /

I recently tried creating a new account but the result is the same. In my Mac with Yosemite, the country picker not works so i can complete the form and use Unity 5.

1. Tamick

March 11, 2015 at 1:44 pm /

Try to pick country using arrow keys and enter. Good luck!

19. Arkinum

March 9, 2015 at 8:24 pm /

This is great! As far as I can tell you kept all the good stuff from the previous release.

I honestly don’t get why people are complaining, I really like Unity’s business model, and it’s one of the main reasons I decided to work with this particular game engine.

GJ

20. Juba

March 9, 2015 at 1:10 pm /

Awesome – can’t wait to try it out!

21. Sudhir

March 7, 2015 at 12:05 pm /

great work unity guys you are the best. But can you provide an offline installer rather than online installer.(just A request)

1. anima.lt

March 7, 2015 at 1:28 pm /

Use “Additional downloads” from download page…

or use official torrent:

22. Ch Lewn

March 7, 2015 at 8:44 am /

Hmm..
    Today I downloaded the Personal edition & tried to launch it for the first time. But when Unity 5 asked to select a country out of the list, I wasn’t able to select one, and could not proceed at all. Is this just me or are there other ppl experiencing the same?
    My system is: MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite

1. anima.lt

March 7, 2015 at 1:33 pm /

At firs run unity has to be activated… so you have to have unity account.. try make one at this page: https://accounts.unity3d.com/sign-up

1. Guillermo Cortes Cuesta

March 10, 2015 at 9:25 pm /

I have the same OS (Yosemite) and the same error. I have an account from two years ago. The problem is that the label to choose country does´t work (and doesn´t show my registered country) so there are not possibility to complete the form so there are no access to Unity.

2. Techser

March 11, 2015 at 11:29 pm /

i had the same problem
      you have to drag the list
      email me if you have question

1. joshB

April 7, 2015 at 9:23 pm /

Just use you arrow keys

23. Mark Foley

March 7, 2015 at 12:07 am /

Amazing. Fantastic news guys, Unity has become an amazing tool.

24. vulgerstal

March 6, 2015 at 1:14 pm /

This could be an April Fools 2015 joke, but it’s true!
    All the features that an indie developer could dream of are available for free now.
    I remember I was asking how many and what features will be in free version.
    And, now, here You go – You’ve them all here. Almost all.
    It’s absolutely stupid to complain. Thanks, Unity T.!
    I understand that there is a strong marketing behind this decision.
    Anyway – thanks for Your efforts and job! I’m upgrading to 5 at the moment.
    Yeah, I hope its all true because now I’m launching Unity 5 for the very first time..

25. shameer

March 6, 2015 at 1:08 pm /

when i install the update, should the old version on my computer uninstall itself or i have to uninstall myself ??? … if i have to uninstall myself the old version, then how because i had made some game using the old version..

1. Arkinum

March 9, 2015 at 8:32 pm /

I installed Unity 5 this morning. I don’t think it did anything to my Unity 4 installation.

26. Fiqri Syah Redha

March 6, 2015 at 12:23 pm /

I don’t know why Unity still not put Dark Skin in Personal Edition, while Blender, Unreal Engine, and other free software had a Dark Skin…

27. anima.lt

March 6, 2015 at 7:59 am /

splash screen “Personal Edition” means what I will use 4.6 for a while:) I can’t risk my time and show it to my client. 75usd X 3 is not bad deal, but I can pay what for all year… as I am not programer.. at moment what would be 50% of all my unity income….

1. anima.lt

March 6, 2015 at 8:01 am /

I meant can’t pay…

28. Brian

March 6, 2015 at 2:24 am /

Hi Unity,

I really like the new animated splash screen a lot, but can you guys please remove the “Personal Edition” beneath the logo? It’s just a request, thanks :)

Regards,
    Brian

29. Steve

March 6, 2015 at 1:24 am /

@Complainers: SOME (and no, not all) of you guys sound like a bunch of spoiled little cry babies who can’t even see how cool it is that you can get an extremely great 3D game engine *FOR FREE*. I mean, come on, games engines used to be licensed at millions of dollars.

30. Tyler

March 5, 2015 at 10:12 pm /

Hi, this is exciting news! However, I can’t find if the personal edition allows video playback. I know one of the big limitations of the free version of Unity 4.x was no video playback ability. Can you play video now in the Personal edition of Unity 5? Or does video playback require the Pro version? I don’t mean net streaming either, I mean playback of local video assets such as .mov files or what have you.

Thanks!

1. anima.lt

March 5, 2015 at 10:49 pm /

Video played fine for my….

try:
      movTexture.Play();

1. anima.lt

March 5, 2015 at 10:50 pm /

public MovieTexture movTexture;
        void Start() {
        GetComponent().material.mainTexture = movTexture;
        movTexture.Play();
        }

1. Paul Kirby

March 24, 2015 at 2:07 am /

MovieTexture is a Pro/Advance feature only.

D:\Unity\Editor\Data\Documentation\en\Manual\class-MovieTexture.html

It was one of the first things that I tried :P

Paul

2. Paul Kirby

March 24, 2015 at 2:11 am /

31. colby

March 5, 2015 at 10:02 pm /

does anyone know how to get to the textured scene in the editor? It only let me choose shaded and wireframe and such on unity 5. I cant add any terrain textures. please help

32. jydog

March 5, 2015 at 9:27 pm /

Downloading and looking to use.

33. André

March 5, 2015 at 7:17 pm /

I’m growing traumatized with Unity monetization sudden and radical changes. In the past I bought an indie licence a couple months before it being set free. On February I started a 12 months subscription commitment to Unity and Android Pro to discover now that – effectively as it seems – the only think I’ll get for those $150/month is dark skin and optional splash screen.

We all are smart and glad to support and fund well our technology makers so they can keep their development going, specially when we used the technology successfully.
    But, as a Unity user, I feel more toyed than a Supercell player. Those changing pricing policies signals inadequacies of the model. And now the appeal is the ergonomics of dark skin and the shaming of “personal”?

Unity is marketing that “5% is not free”, but I honestly like that business model more**. Even if 5% could be more than $4500 (Android and iOS together), it’s still a small and fair commitment. They don’t try to hold me back in any fashion in the hopes of getting their sustain. A game project is very unpredictable and a revenue of $90.000 isn’t as easily expected as we would like. I guess most of us would have that in common sense. Using UE you can have to spend a lot, but at least there’s no huge gap between free and selling a liver upfront for some weird blackmail. For that matter I almost liked it better when Unity itself was divided into packages. Now the investment holes are reversed. UE is better for start ups, and Unity more suitable for big developers.

** With those sexy blueprints (not as much as Quest3d, but still) and better communication/support, if only UE was more Android friendly and stable…

1. John Riccitiello

March 5, 2015 at 10:44 pm /

Andre — With Unity 5.0 Personal Edition we give you Unity 5.0 for free as long as you are under $100k in revs or funding. If your revs or funding are above $100k, you can get Unity 5.0 Pro for $75 / month base with an additional $75 / month with iOS or Android. Or if you prefer you can spend $1500 base and $4500 for Unity 5.0 Pro + iOS + Android.

I am not sure I quite understand your concern. If you are pre-revenue, you can start with Personal Edition (for free) and if you are successful commercially and generate $100k in revenues you can then upgrade to Pro.

I hope this helps explain things. Let me know.

John

1. André

March 6, 2015 at 8:33 am /

I was digressing about the unreliable pricing policy. But I guess it was just my bad luck that twice I got into Unity before big business events. Now I’ve learned about GDC and bias to sudden changes.

But since you asked about my case (I’m way under 100k) my concearn is…

1. Last month I started the subscription of $150 (Unity and Android Pro), and that ties me to a 12 month plan. I wanted – between other engine features – to be able to play videos. But with Unity 5 having it all that I will be able to use for free, I could use a budget relief to adequate to my use tier on Unity 5 instead of being tied to 4 pricing. Would it be possible to just cancel the subscription commitment since it’s being offered a refund to pre-orders?

2. I did like Unity Analytics concept, as part of pro and would gladly keep the subscription to Unity Pro without the add-on. Seems on budget and valuable.

3. Out of curiosity, what are future plataforms exclusive to Pro? Any concearn if I’m into VR? Some of the features are not clear and seem shady instead of being valuable – like the monthly random assets for free.

4. Unless I misunderstood – since it’s stated that the free version has all the engine features – the only thing we get now with the mobile add-on is removal of splash screen for those builds? It would be nice if the price of the add-ons would be reviewed (if not eliminated at all). It was expensive before (100% after to the engine/editor itself), now it’s too little value for the same price.

I like the return of small modules offering – even better as services. Unity 4 pricing had a huge gap between free and paid that didn’t allow the likes of me to payback to Unity. Now just those add-ons that still feel overpriced. It just misses a dark skin isolated pack :P

1. D.J.

March 17, 2015 at 7:56 am /

They know that Personal Edition “Splash screen” “Will kill your game”. Your game loosing momentum at start and every player will drop the game cause it’s iritating. Find me one Unity game on top 100 listwith a Unity logo splash screen, no boddy doing this! That’s why they ganging on the “Splash screen” so much on the first place! And without editors dark skin, i’am just loosing my appetite for developing.

2. Dany

March 30, 2015 at 5:05 pm /

that’s absolutely true the current pricing model is miserable, it’s made for the big devs, i just started to work with unity and honestly i can’t progress with it this way, i can’t pay for Pro with android and ios now it is impossible and i can’t benefit from the *cough cough* “FREE” version the splash screen kills it.

although c# scripting is more to my liking, but guess i would be moving to UrealEngine and check out those blueprints the 5% royalty is much better price model, low income starters will have a chance to grow, while 5% royalty won’t hurt the big guys it’s overall a much more suitable way of doing it, and learning UE is a great asset it is a BEAST Engine the graphics and possibilities with it are just phenominal

3. Aurore

March 30, 2015 at 6:18 pm /

There is information on our FAQ about what you can do with your subscription if you bought it before March 3rd. http://unity3d.com/unity/faq/2494

Analytics is currently in beta, you can sign up here http://unity3d.com/unity/analytics When it’s released we will have different pricing tiers, so it’s still accessible if you don’t have Pro.

The new platforms is to make sure that we have you covered for any future tech that may have a Unity deployment option for, we don’t know what these are yet because they don’t exist…yet :)

The mobile add-on price are also aimed at those who earn over 100K.

@DANY I’m not sure how you may be struggling to progress with development, with the personal edition, we have removed any engine feature barrier we previously had. Additionally, you only need to buy a license if you hit over 100K in revenue, it’s a one time purchase with no revenue share.

2. Dany

April 1, 2015 at 10:26 pm /

I hate the splash screen, i wanna put my own splash screen to the game and not just jump in from unity splash screen to the menu ,and second important thing is that i can’t publish paid apps with the personal edition only Free apps with ads, i am not struggling to progress with my coding itself with unity, but with my final products done using it.

34. 김덕배

March 5, 2015 at 4:25 pm /

외쳐 Unity!

1. John Riccitiello

March 6, 2015 at 6:11 pm /

Of course, i think you are in with very good luck with Unity 5.0. Huge upgrade in graphics and lighting, a bunch of adds to the editor, some very cool cloud services, more platforms. And, if you qualify and prefer — all free with Personal Edition and, what i think is a great value for Pro, if that is your choice.

As for future platforms — we’ll come to those decisions as we work along and see what new platforms launch. Personally, i am a fan of VR and AR, having worked pretty closely with the Oculus team in 2013 and 2014. Some really amazing things coming from Oculus and many others. We don’t have all our plans figured out yet in the very fast moving space….

John

35. Puneet

March 5, 2015 at 9:07 am /

This is amazing. The entire suite available for free for us indie developers. Looking forward to growing up soon so that I will pay for the pro version soon.

Cheers.

36. David

March 5, 2015 at 1:53 am /

I’m noticing that the new splash screen says personal addition, it would be awesome if you guys considered removing that… I think it cheapens your branding. Instead make a cool unity opening logo that make both yourself and the developer look like a pro. You’ll probably get more converts that way – from other engines, too!

37. 死竜さま

March 5, 2015 at 1:11 am /

ありがとうございました…
    愛♥

38. chris

March 5, 2015 at 12:47 am /

1. Awesome!, The right thing to do. Unity is awesome and now with multiple render targets, it makes a huge difference.

2. Why stop there? UI skin and loading screen? really?

3. The new loading screen that says “Personal Edition” is actually going to kill it for me. I didn’t mind the old loading screen, that just says “Unity”, but the new one just lets everyone know that you’re not “pro” — and not just unity devs who know the deal, but now EVERYONE! — It cheapens my game.

so my option is to spend 4500 and buy pro, which is prohibitive for me as a hobbyist (who hopes to publish something some day!) or move to other options like unreal.

i would gladly spend maybe 1500 for a perpetual ios + android + desktop (or even a loading screen that doesn’t say “Personal Edition”) even with a 100k/yr limit, but 4500 is too much. (esp now the US exchange rate is in the tank!)

1. Andy

April 30, 2015 at 6:51 pm /

Completely agree! I would gladly spend $1500 for a perpetual ios + android + desktop version.
      The loading screen that says “Personal Edition” is a complete barrier for me, as is the alternative… paying $4500.

Shame Unity, I was all ready to give you $1500.

Now, not so much. :(

39. Amanda

March 4, 2015 at 7:18 pm /

The changes sound great, but as others have mentioned, why not release control of skin color? If asset developers had more control over skin color, we could make our products look more professional.

40. koblavi

March 4, 2015 at 6:34 pm /

Some history:
    – Unreal Engine is the only way you can make Awesome AAA games if you don’t have $$$$$$ to build your own engine

– Unity introduces an easy-to-use game prototyping engine that costs either $$$ for indie or $$$$ for pro

– Unreal doesn’t care. it’s still the world’s most awesome game engine.

– Unity Drops Indie license and makes basic version free (By this time it’s a proper game engine)

– Unreal introduces free trimmed down version of Unreal Engine without source code access called UDK

– Unity introduces $75.00/mo subscription licences.

– Unreal introduces $19/mo subscription licences for full blown unreal engine 4 + source code access on GIT (plus a 5% revenue share when you make your first $50,000)

– Crytek introduces $9/mo subscription license for cry engine 3. (and then has a financial Crysis, Pun intended :-D )

– Unity Introduces Personal edition license with Unity 5 which has all the features of unity pro and the ‘Powered by Unity’ splash screen we’ve all come to love :-P

– Unreal introduces $0 subscription for full-blown unreal engine 4 + source code (plus a 5% revenue share when you make your first $50,000)

– Fill in the blank ________________________________________________________________________

41. Serpin

March 4, 2015 at 6:31 pm /

Any plans on adding “Personal” license option to Unity 4.x?
    Would reeeeally appreaciate that…

42. randy

March 4, 2015 at 5:15 pm /

Thank you for this gift. I love Unity3d

43. flashfoxter

March 4, 2015 at 2:48 pm /

Why monodevelop expand blocks on mac, its old old old bug, and you not fixed it with Unity 5, i can’t work on mac because its expand all my blocks on every save, it’s blow my mind !

1. faisal

March 20, 2015 at 10:55 am /

unity 3d not ran help to ran unity tanks

44. blueD

March 4, 2015 at 2:19 pm /

Amazing Unity, can’t wait to see more great stuff from Unity 5. Btw, thanks for Level 11, got all 4 awesome assets for free :) can’t wait to see what offers from Level 11 next month.

45. Taylor Ringo

March 4, 2015 at 11:25 am /

I just hope we can finally have a nice guide on porting to Android TV, am I able to request a tutorial for Android TV and a 3d platformer here? I’m so excited!!

46. Andy

March 4, 2015 at 9:58 am /

I’d pay e100 for a the Pro Dark Skin…

47. Roman

March 4, 2015 at 9:40 am /

John were saying about all features to be free.
    Please give a black UI away!

48. Subhojeet

March 4, 2015 at 9:39 am /

Though UE 4 has better graphics than unity 5 yet unity is a better choice for multi platform devs and mobile developers. I hope unity will grow even better and there will be soon AAA games out of unity!

49. vietdungdev

March 4, 2015 at 8:40 am /

Amazing ! Thanks Unity !

50. smelling propaganda

March 4, 2015 at 7:58 am /

First of all: it’s xmas for developers. Unity, UE4, Source 2 all practically free. And many other smaller engines are also dirt cheap. Good times!

But this taking punches against Epic with lines like this: “Unity 5 Personal Edition is free. No royalty. Free.” Kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Why? Well, no source code access, practically no support, no team license, 100k cap, no beta access, no future platforms (what the hell happens then?). Yeah, “free” indeed. ;) If you want to put tools side by side comparison and take some punches, at least have the courtesy to do so with the correct versions: UE4 vs. Unity _PRO_ . And remember also, that Epic still offers customizable licenses, i.e. no royalties, IF you want and believe in your game so much, that you don’t want to go the royalty route.

51. CrazyNoa

March 4, 2015 at 6:26 am /

You guys just never fail to make my day. You’re amazing, all of you. Thanks so much!

52. Artur

March 4, 2015 at 5:56 am /

Good to know … just started the 12 Month Subscription Plan 5 days ago … and now that:

The Form for “Transferring to the flexible Unity Pro subscription plan” doesn’t accept any pdf’s to finish the application!

53. Sunny Davis

March 4, 2015 at 5:44 am /

The download link for 5.0 build-in shaders is broken.

54. Federico Saldarini

March 4, 2015 at 5:44 am /

I originally purchased a perpetual Unity Pro license for 4.x. Then I purchased the perpetual Pro 5.x license when it was available for pre-order. Now a number of people have been asking in the comments section about the process to get a refund on the Pro license for 5.x. The two answers I saw state to look at the FAQ but I do not see any item in the faq addressing refunds of Unity 5 licenses or the information is not clearly / easily found.

So what I would like to know is:

1. Can I get a refund on Unity 5 Pro so that I switch to Unity 5 Personal Edition.

2. If I do so and at a later time I decide to re-purchase a Unity 5 license:
    a: will there be perpetual licenses available or only monthly (which you currently anyway force to yearly) ones?
    b: if perpetual licenses will still be available, will they be at the pre-order price or what price?

3. Even though I originally had a license for Unity Pro 4.x, the minute I pre-purchased the 5.x license, the my license changed to “5.x” under my account. If I were to get a refund on my 5.x license, what would happen with my 4.x license, since I don’t seem to be able to find this one anywhere in my account anymore. Basically, I still run Unity 4.6 for some things and I want to make sure that returning the 5 license does not all of a sudden kill my ability to run 4 in Pro mode, since I originally paid for a perpetual license for it.

Thanks,

1. Richard Fine

March 4, 2015 at 7:01 am /

1. Look in the ‘Licensing and Activation’ section of the FAQ – specifically for the question “I pre-ordered Unity 5 Professional but I want to use Unity 5 Personal Edition, what are my options?”

2. We have no plans to stop selling perpetual licenses. There’s no guarantee that we won’t change the price in the future, but we do not today have any plan to change it.

3. The refund should restore your Unity 4 Pro license.

55. EdgarR

March 4, 2015 at 5:25 am /

Cool now has a stupid bug preventing compiling my game in this version 5.

I tried with a clean project, with no asset and plugin, 0, nothing, nothing with him, if I’m going to create the terrain, appears an error rainfall on the console. And it shows a trillion “jobprocess.exe” in the task manager.

“Failed executing external process for ‘Clustering’ job Exit code:. ‘-1073741819’.”

And the same sentence with other code numbers also.

Here’s a screenshot:

Note that it is a clean project, with nothing in it, I just create a new terrain and starts errors.

I’m sorry, Mr. Riccitiello, but it is not this way you will be able to block the success of the Unreal Engine.

Windows 7 64
    Unity 5 64
    AMD PII 1090T
    8GB RAM
    RADEON HD 6850

1. Jesper Mortensen

March 6, 2015 at 11:28 am /

Hi, I am not able to reproduce your error. Do you have a log file handy? Also, is there space left on the partition used for the cache (see Edit->Preferences->GI Cache)?

1. EdgarR

March 12, 2015 at 2:35 am /

Theres a couché blocking my comments, i will not waste time sending the screenshots again

2. Johan Mendez

April 15, 2015 at 2:09 am /

same problem here, how can i send the editor log?

3. Johan Mendez

April 15, 2015 at 2:12 am /

also, how is it that you log in then you come into this page, in order to commen to you have to leave your email details again, then i check if i’m logged in or not it says log in, when i try i’m looged in already, then i come back and still not logged in…

56. Thaao

March 4, 2015 at 3:39 am /

First, I love Unity and I’m really excited about this launch!! Already downloaded it and been geeking out about it with my friends.

But mostly, I want to know, who is this mustache guy in the promotional images? He’s really handsome and I hope he’s some sort of ongoing mascot for Unity5. I want to draw fanarts of him but I don’t know how to refer to him even, other than “that guy in the Unity5 launch materials” lol

57. Zauber Paracelsus

March 4, 2015 at 3:29 am /

Between Unity 5 and Unreal Engine 4, I was getting real excited. Both let you develop games for Linux, which I love. But what’s disappointing is that neither provides Linux-native versions of the development tools after years of people asking. When’s that going to change?

58. Van Damage

March 4, 2015 at 3:24 am /

I just want to cry, I’m so happy!

59. Richard

March 4, 2015 at 2:33 am /

Awesome stuff! Can’t wait to get home tonight and fire it up. Thanks for the free upgrade!

60. Andy

March 4, 2015 at 2:32 am /

Thank you very much.

61. Meltdown

March 4, 2015 at 1:26 am /

Nice work guys :)

62. Kirk

March 4, 2015 at 12:56 am /

wow! downloading this just now – and very excited about the engine features!!

thanks so much!

63. Mike

March 3, 2015 at 11:27 pm /

And you still can’t change the color of the editor without paying money…you have got to be kidding me.

1. David

March 5, 2015 at 1:45 am /

Unity, I’m sorry you have to deal with comments like this. Not all free users feel this way, I’m one of them.

64. Xerg

March 3, 2015 at 11:10 pm /

I want a full refund,

I spent my money on buying unity 4 then the upgrade to unity 5, just to see how everyone will get the same updates for free.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

1. Richard Fine

March 4, 2015 at 12:11 am /

Sure thing – head to the FAQ page for details on that.

65. David

March 3, 2015 at 10:40 pm /

Wow, you guys are awesome!!!

66. CynicatPro

March 3, 2015 at 10:27 pm /

keep up the awesome guys! can’t wait to see what the community does now that there aren’t any limits on pro features! love you guys!

67. Daniele Giardini

March 3, 2015 at 10:18 pm /

I just want to say thanks. So, thanks! No, really. THANKS! This news just made me sillier than I already am, and I’m gonna giggle for the rest of the week ^_^

68. Cayl

March 3, 2015 at 9:41 pm /

Awesome news, I really appreciate your commitment, but why is there no Customizable Splash Screen in Personal? It’s one of the most annoying misses since Unity Free in 2009.
    I would have wished for you to not to give the profiler but do away with that.

69. Linus Ahlemeyer

March 3, 2015 at 9:38 pm /

Incredible, you guys really think about us users and devs! I use Unity 5 since the start of the beta, and I can say it is a REAL improvement. There were prefabs in my project which consisted of around 60 middle-heavy gameobjects. Moving/rotating this combined prefab around in Unity 4 got the Editor to painful 1-3 fps. In Unity 5 it is moveable/rotatable just like a basic cube, no lag at all. And all that power for free from now on for all indies is quite the contribution to gaming, great one Unity!

70. Pedro

March 3, 2015 at 9:15 pm /

Video won’t play or download, and I missed the livestream. How can I watch that?

1. Kristyna Paskova

March 3, 2015 at 9:43 pm /

Hi, we’re editing the livestream video atm, but you can see a rough version here: http://youtu.be/N8Ao5oyflik?t=55m15s

1. Hamza Abbasi

April 7, 2015 at 3:51 pm /

Must visit once our site.

71. pixnlove

March 3, 2015 at 9:15 pm /

” It comes with all the features including Profiler, Occlusion Culling, Render-to-Texture, and Post-Processing Special Effects….”

I really cannot believe that you guy have opened up the platform to this extend.
    Thank you guys, thank you so much.

Wait up, I am going to go to sleep now and wake up tomorrow morning and probably realise that Today was just a dream come true…

72. Franz Silva

March 3, 2015 at 9:08 pm /

Absolutely awesome, this will improve our development 1000 times more.

73. Toad

March 3, 2015 at 9:07 pm /

Providing all game designers/developers with a game engine/editor as powerful as Unity 5 for free would have been unbelievable just a few years ago.

Thanks to everybody at Unity for all your hard work in delivering Unity 5, and for making it available for free.

Unity has been closing the gap with AAA engines over the last couple of years, in terms of features and rendering quality, but still has some crucially important advantages over them (in my opinion), including;

-C sharp scripting,
    -Asset store (e.g. models, textures, animations, particles, music, sound effects),
    -Easy to use, extendable editor,
    -Multi-platform support (21 platforms and counting),
    -Mobile performance.

The new Audio features look fantastic too!

So thanks again to everyone at Unity, and roll on Unity 5.1! :0)

74. Jashan Chittesh

March 3, 2015 at 9:06 pm /

I can only say congratulations for not only creating the most awesome game engine out there, but also being the most awesome company I’m aware of (at least when it comes to bigger companies).

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again and again: Unity FTW!!!

75. Seneral

March 3, 2015 at 8:56 pm /

Wow! Thanks, I can’t believe you really put all engine features into the personal Edition! I’m very thankful, and you made a great job still making Unity Pro attractive:) Greatest respect!

76. GameJam

March 3, 2015 at 8:55 pm /

Can we get demos and benchmarks for the html5 export? Not the plugin version

1. Josh Peterson

March 3, 2015 at 9:20 pm /

You can get access to some of our WebGL benchmarks from this earlier blog post: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/10/07/benchmarking-unity-performance-in-webgl/

77. awss

March 3, 2015 at 8:23 pm /

Well done, i like that Unity listen to the community, many people were looking for making fully featured free version.

78. Gustav

March 3, 2015 at 8:13 pm /

Great work! really amazing

79. Fernando Zapata

March 3, 2015 at 8:11 pm /

Congratulations! I can’t wait to update Hunternet to the new engine :D

80. JJ

March 3, 2015 at 7:45 pm /

So what happens to people who paid to upgrade their Unity Pro license but don’t need any of the new services? Can they get a refund and just go to the personal edition that now has all of the features that Pro used to have?

1. Josh Peterson

March 3, 2015 at 9:15 pm /

Yes, you can get a refund. See the FAQ here: http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

81. UnityMeow

March 3, 2015 at 7:42 pm /

I think the battle lines are drawn now. UE4 is the powerhouse engine that needs a powerful computer. Unity is for indies to avoid royalties and get a larger userbase. Choices choices.

82. Peter

March 3, 2015 at 7:31 pm /

Wonderful. Asset store publishers can finally fix all their bugs related to dark skin ;)

1. Amanda

March 4, 2015 at 7:20 pm /

+1 on this. Please fix so asset developers can make more attractive editors!

83. Rodrigo

March 3, 2015 at 6:22 pm /

Maravilloso!!!!!!!!!!!!!

84. Andrew

March 3, 2015 at 6:17 pm /

Amazing!

85. RIP

March 3, 2015 at 6:16 pm /

Still not 1/10th as good as UE4.

1. Ardo

March 4, 2015 at 7:06 am /

Well you can exercise your right to use UE4 and not Unity!

It’s a good time to be a developer when there are multiple fantastic free options out there.

86. Robert Fakes

March 3, 2015 at 6:00 pm /

Very nice! Way to keep to your mission statement! I think I’ll keep my Pro subscription though (I need that dark skin, :P).