Early access to new 2D tools

April 24, 2015 in Technology

Hello 2D developers!

First of all, I want to thank you for continuing to support Unity, and especially our 2D features. The 2D Team love working in this area of the engine, and we are very happy to announce that, as a company, we’ll be devoting considerable additional resources to making our 2D tools as intuitive, powerful and flexible as we possibly can.

2D is super important

Developing our 2D offering has become one of Unity’s top priorities. We’ve expanded our team, and there are now many new faces working on building some exciting features.

We’ve also thought a lot about the way we organize what the 2D Team does, and how we can ensure that we get more feedback at an earlier stage of development. To that end, we now have our own dedicated alpha shipping cycle!

Early alpha access for Unity Pro users

Perhaps the most exciting change is that we’re releasing features that are in development to Unity Pro users much earlier. With your feedback, we hope to cut development time by better understanding how we can meet your needs.

You can find the link to the current alpha from our Bitbucket repo.

image (2)

Demos, prototyping tools and documentation

As well as posting each new release to Bitbucket, we’ll also upload early versions of tech demos, prototyping tools, and draft documentation.

How you can help shape the future of 2D

The 2D Team has its own dedicated QA and UX resources. This means we’re a self-contained unit that can implement all the changes that will make Unity’s upcoming 2D tools truly awesome.

To make suggestions, flag issues, and give us feedback just post to the Issues Section on the repo, and we’ll action them.

Here’s a sneak peek at some of the features in the current alpha build:

Tile Map Editor
9-Slice Sprites
Smart Sprite
ETC1 Compression
Masking
Improved Sprite Packing
And many more…

We hope this new development process will help us get to where we should be faster. On behalf of the 2D Team, I’d like to thank you once again for using and testing our tools!

1. Enrique Moreno

June 13, 2015 at 12:24 pm /

This features are fantastic. Where they finally released with Unity 5.1? Or do we have to wait further to use this features in a stable release?

1. Enrique Moreno

June 13, 2015 at 12:31 pm /

Sorry for the typo. I meant *Were*, not *Where*

June 19, 2015 at 5:09 am /

We are still nurturing them to maturity. Therefore, they were not released in 5.1, but soon.

2. Giovanni

May 25, 2015 at 7:10 am /

Una gran noticia!!!
    Aprecio los esfuerzos continuos en 2d, que me gusta trabajar en Unity.

3. AW

May 24, 2015 at 1:14 pm /

Currently Rigidbody 2D has the setting: Start Asleep, which means the “Object is initially asleep but can be woken by collisions”. I find it odd that there is no setting to awaken an object based on a specific distance from the character. Is there a way to do this in the early access build?

4. German Garces

May 19, 2015 at 6:51 pm /

Will there be an easy way to convert a RectTransform AnchoredPositionX and AnchoredPositionY into world space coords?

I can’t seem to find an appropriate member that works.

Thanks Unity

5. 3noneTwo

May 18, 2015 at 4:17 pm /

I’ve been aching for some genuine tile map support in Unity, so seeing this post helps sooth those aches. Are there any plans to extend the tile map editor for 2.5D/3D games? I suspect it’d be a real hit for isometric games and 3D side-scrollers as well.

6. Dmitry

May 15, 2015 at 9:25 pm /

Hey!

I have maybe a stupid question, but, where I can download an alpha version? There are links only on public beta version in your bitbucket repo. I have pro subscription, but have no idea where I can find version to testing this awesome 2d features.

And thanks for doing great job with Unity!

May 15, 2015 at 10:43 pm /

The links in the bitbucket repo IS the alpha installer. You will be able to use these features with that link!

1. Dmitry

May 16, 2015 at 3:18 pm /

Thanks!

I was confused by version number. Which is same as in main public Unity version.

7. Mark

May 2, 2015 at 4:49 am /

Will there be any future functionality for overhead 2d games? Currently it seems like the majority of features are related to side scrollers.

8. Dragon Rider

May 1, 2015 at 10:48 pm /

Really looking forward to 9-sliced sprites and tilemaps! :D

9. medveduka

May 1, 2015 at 9:51 pm /

Do you have any plans to make something like this https://youtu.be/z5jngxFv0V4 ?

10. Stream

April 29, 2015 at 11:40 am /

Great news! Just make release as soon as possible!

11. Hawken King

April 28, 2015 at 9:33 am /

(I’m building a 2d game right now and here are some other things… for Sprite Editor! thanks!)

– If you save a spritesheet in photoshop (some small graphical change) any new sprite boundaries you have drawn will be reset. Prefered functionality is that it just updates the image.

– dragging the sprite handles on the Mac with Wacom is slow and unresponsive. This applies to Unity product wide. Would be nice if this could be finally fixed! Wacom is a pro tool, I can’t be the only one having this issue.

– Arrow keys are unassigned in Sprite Editor. These could be put to good use for cycling through sprites for easy naming (naming is probably the largest time sink in this editor window right now).

– custom grid view & snap to grid would be welcome in Sprite Editor.

cheers!

1. pete

May 8, 2015 at 6:07 am /

This drives me crazy! Wacoms are everywhere, why wouldn’t they fix it? Every other 3d package on my mac works fine with it.
      I have posted bug reports for it but I have lost hope a little and now I keep a mouse on hand just for unity.

12. Fernando

April 28, 2015 at 1:48 am /

What if you repair Unity 5 before spending developers in creating new features? Unity 5 is pre-apha and you are selling it as a final version.

13. Ziboo

April 28, 2015 at 12:20 am /

Very awesome, can’t wait to see that released.

It’s not really the same topic, but still 2d related, and hope that the 2D team can do something.

We are lacking of asynchronus methods for textures operations
    Most important for me right now is the LoadImage that block the mainthread.
    When you’re trying to read jpg from the disk and display them in a gallery or something like that, it’s really hard on the framerate…

Any plan on this ?

By the way, here is a link to the feedback repo: http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/async-texture2d-dot-loadimage-and-other-texture-operations

Thanks

14. Paul Tham

April 27, 2015 at 3:59 pm /

Thanks for the overwhelmingly positive response. I’m especially happy to see that some are sharing their ideas, requests and frustrations. However, it is not scalable to track anything in these comments.

If you want to have a productive conversation about a released feature, please do so at the 2D forum. We have at least one dev team member on duty at all times.

Or you wish to file a bug on the released features, do so with the bug reporter.

If you wish to talk about these alpha features, please do so at the bitbucket repo.

With better tracking features (than these comments) we will be able to get to your concerns effectively.

Thank you again for your input.

15. graspee

April 27, 2015 at 12:44 pm /

When I did my 7 Day Roguelike in March I used Unity. The game is a low-res, pixelart game and as such I chose to entirely ignore the Unity 2D features. I wanted something simple with pixel accuracy so I chose to entirely render my game with GUI.DrawTextureWithTexCoords(). I’m fine with that and don’t want to be encouraged into your 2D system with gameobjects and so on, but I’d just like you to know that there are people doing their 2D games like this, so it would be nice if you could bear that in mind if you ever want to change how things work.

One change I would really like though is the ability to populate the resolution selector with my own choices. My game used resolutions of 640×360, 1280×720 and 1920×1080 so it could use exact scaling of the sprites.

16. Maciej 'mantis' Kozlowski

April 27, 2015 at 12:40 pm /

Two more things regarding Smart Sprites, as showcased here:

1) The pink lines still appear when using that, between tiles. Is there really no way to prevent those lines from appearing in-engine?
    2) Will we be able to set scale to Smart Sprite fill and the angle range sprites? In that sample both the fill and angle range sprites were from the same tile sheet, at same sizes (which is not apparent from the video).

1. Maciej 'mantis' Kozlowski

April 27, 2015 at 3:05 pm /

Ah, right, the sprite editor screenshot:

screenshot

The grid is 32×32 sliced, no overlap there. Yet there is still ‘bleeding’ between sprites.

1. Maciej 'mantis' Kozlowski

April 27, 2015 at 3:07 pm /

Sorry for failed link and the chaining of comments, can’t find a way to edit things I submitted.

Hopefully working screenshot here

17. Arnaud Couturier

April 27, 2015 at 10:04 am /

I really appreciate the continued efforts on 2d, which I love working with in Unity as it is already :)

There’s one feature I would really like to see implemented: 2d navigation

Bitbucket ticket

Unity feedback page

18. Maciej 'mantis' Kozlowski

April 27, 2015 at 9:54 am /

Is there a possibility to add sprite sheet to the Smart Sprite?

What I mean is – I would love to be able to select, say, couple ‘ground’ and couple ‘grass’ textures and have them fill the ground polygon randomly (even better, with variable weights. even better, possibility to later tweak by hand).

Basically, I create a level that contains many types of tile to make it look non-boring, and it’d be great to have possibility to do something like that via SmartSprite:

1. Maciej 'mantis' Kozlowski

April 27, 2015 at 9:56 am /

2. Paul Tham

April 27, 2015 at 10:02 am /

Based on your gif, and your desire to set the tiles based on some semi-random weighted algo, TileMap seems a better match for you.

1. Maciej 'mantis' Kozlowski

April 27, 2015 at 10:52 am /

Well, that’s the approach I use now because I work with tools that I have. I really would love freely-controllable landscape and slopes for my game.

Ok, another approach: what about being able to apply decals to Smart Sprite? This way I can have a generic grass shaped in any way I want, but I can also add couple stone textures here and there (that would be cut to the Smart Sprite’s shape) to break up the monotony.

2. 3noneTwo

May 26, 2015 at 5:06 pm /

I can see what Mantis is talking about. If you look at the Smart Sprites sample image in the blog post, it’s very easy to see tiling in the rocky vine ground texture. Another example, though less easy to spot: Look at the left side of every section of grass, and you can spot the same three red “flower” dots in a triangle pattern, every time. . ˙ .

In the GIF that Mantis posted, ignore the fact that the image is laid down as a tile map. The idea they were trying to convey was in the randomization of the sprites laid down. Apply that randomization to Smart Sprites. It would be great to be able to have a small pool of textures for each element in a smart sprite, which would then be randomly chosen to help break up the tiling effect, making it feel more organic.

For example, you could three or four variations on rock/vine patterns to draw from when filling the ground areas. Or a few different variations on the grass elements, which could stop that triangle flower formation from appearing on the left edge so frequently.

19. Ash Blue

April 27, 2015 at 1:40 am /

It looks like this does everything Rotorz Tile System does. Does it combine all the connected 2D colliders at runtime?

20. lovdin

April 26, 2015 at 11:52 am /

Beautiful ~
    Yes, 2D is super important ~

21. Cesar Augusto

April 25, 2015 at 11:06 pm /

Awesome, looks like Ubi Art Framework by Ubisoft

i’ve been watching some video about Ubi Art engine, that made Rayman Legends, which is very closed engine, and looks awesome features for 2d Artist…

I Wonder, it’s Unity getting more 2d features like Ubi Art framework?

obj: i don’t like to compare engines, but, Ubi-Art-Framework looks awesome for 2D features.

(Ubi-Art-Framewrok :

22. Hawken King

April 25, 2015 at 4:22 pm /

This is great news.

Physics calculations for pixel art games would be very much appreciated. Currently physics is strange when using small sprites. Is there any plan to tackle this?

8px by 8px is 0.08 units in Unity. We are using raycasting instead of physics as a current solution.

I’m currently using 2DToolKit’s cameras for everything in my game ( Pixel Pirate ) as it has screen resolution features, sadly it’s not compatible with Unity’s new UI canvas.

The standard unity camera has no pixel size, are there any plans for pixel perfect 2d cameras?

We use 2DToolKit’s tile mapper, which works well, but all tile maps are created in Tiled and exported using the TMX format. Are there any plans to use TMX?

April 26, 2015 at 5:09 am /

Yes, pixel perfect solution is on the list of todo. However, not sure about TMX. Will evaluate.

1. Hugo

April 28, 2015 at 11:38 pm /

Or at least a way to create them from script so people could write their own importers.

2. Pat Ferguson

April 29, 2015 at 2:42 am /

TMX import would be great, because you can make a map outside of unity, and use it in either Unity, or Cocos2d for IOS or Cocos2d-JS for HTML5. Also, even the 2D Toolkit TMX importer can not import individual tile properties, requiring you to edit your maps with more data in Unity after you already imported them.

3. Guilherme Maia

May 3, 2015 at 6:40 am /

Hey, you could borrow it from my plugin, https://bitbucket.org/Chaoseiro/x-unitmx
        I’m currently trying to optimize it, but I’m eager to see your solutions :)

2. Corentin

April 27, 2015 at 9:21 pm /

tmx loading would be really awesome !

3. Boris

May 2, 2015 at 1:43 pm /

if you make the UI canvas WORLD size, then it will scale with 2dtoolkit camera.

My default resolution in 2dtoolkit camera is 800×1280 so i make my world canvas X and Y to 800×1280. I put my UI objects in the canvas and it all scales perfectly.

you may need to play around with the canvas scaler component dynamic pixels per unit and reference pixels per unit but thats it.

23. Liberty

April 25, 2015 at 3:04 pm /

Features that would really help working with sprites.

– ability to place text in scene that is pixel perfect. Having to create a root object for canvas is cumbersome if we have many objects that are created and destroyed.

– Ability to set half resolution on all sprites automatically, our assets are at retina resolution but quality settings ‘half resolution’ does not affect Sprites.

– We have custom editor scripts to set the order in layer of sprites based on order in hierarchy (so they sort like canvas). Sorting if ‘order in layer’ is same should be same as canvas, currently if order in layer is same the sorting order is random, and different between OSX and iOS which can lead to weird bugs.

– related to previous point, it would be nice if total order relative to top of hierarchy value was exposed as this value could be used to sort sprites, meshes, ect.. And also to sort input layering.

– we have bugs sometimes on our sprite atlases where they stop batching randomly, we have editor scripts which set sprite packing tags automatically, which might be related? The only way to fix is to reimport the folder with textures or rebuild the sprite atlas cache.

Not related to sprites but would be nice.

– ability to cancel physics2D collision events on non-triggers.
    – when rescaling a body interpolation is turned off temporarily, there should be an option to keep it on.

1. Liberty

April 25, 2015 at 3:20 pm /

– in editor mode the raycast to pick which object is selected is a bit strange sometimes, there should be an option to make objects like background textures not immediately selectable. (2 clicks?) canvas also covers everything, even empty space inside it and is huge so overlaps part of scene and generally gets on the way.
      – not related to sprites, but it would be nice to have the ability to set a default camera’s frustum even if there is no camera in scene, as we only spawn camera at runtime.
      – not related to sprites, but it would be nice if unity didn’t keep regenerating meta files of empty folders which get continuously committed to git. Unity could perhaps not generate folder meta files for empty folders, and make sure the unique Id generator will always generate the same value for the same path..?

2. Paul Tham

April 26, 2015 at 5:12 am /

We acknowledge that sorting needs to improve and it will. Look out for it in the near future.

24. Sander

April 25, 2015 at 1:04 pm /

Can you tell a little more about the upcoming skeletal animation features? Will it support free form mesh deformations of sprites? Will it be a full solution like the Uni2D asset that incorporates with physics and all that – or will it only be a more simple functionality? Btw. it sounds great that you are adding all these new 2d features!

April 26, 2015 at 5:14 am /

To be honest, we don’t know yet. But for sure it will integrate with Mecanim. Will update once we do know.

25. Mohamed Trigui

April 25, 2015 at 7:44 am /

Hello everyone,

First of all thank you very much for this news , I find this very interesting ,

Otherwise I suggest other improvements, taking into account for example the project “please solve the game” and other similar games,

in this project, there’s a very large number of Game objects , thousands of gameobject in every scene,
    eg for each scene it there’s 1000 platform, 1000 modular peaks separately etc.

1-in this case to compose a single level with thousands of gameobject, it takes considerable time for a very rough and not precise result, which is not the case of games with some GameObjects only on stage,

2-noticed something in the profiler, greater use of draw calls, memory etc very important in this case, just the opposite of the same level achieved with some gameobject only

3-is it possible you also to improve and optimize the display and execution of such a scene with other streaming technique, for example offer a configurable component ouc option to activate and make visible only the visible gameobject or next to the player,

4-offer also if possible to turn off for each component (system pooling each component) instead of Enabled Disabled eg collider sleep or awake for rigid body less optimized than the deactivation activation,

5-is it possible you also propose other assets such water particles (wind), 2D skybox etc, 2D cartoons or realistic variable customizable and animated or

6-currently, for example to put the platforms next to one another to form a continuous ground, I have to manually align very rough because you can not align the publisher and accurately according x and y which has a long tedious job

7-also in the selection when the scene is filled with these GameObjects, you can not select only one possible category Game object directly from the scene, for example, select only the platforms without the thorns beside,

8-also the rotation of these platforms to form a sloping floor in a precise angles is more difficult because you can not tilt a selection precisely at a given angle but very roughly, one by one
    also when I turn off such a component as sprite render, I can no longer selected on the scene,

9- the current method of ui based on the use of anchors for IU (Buttons, text, images etc) is long and complex Approximate especially taking into account several resolutions and difficult to adjust every time.
    Sometimes the collider polygon does not follow the shape of the object concerned and its game publishing is very rough and very complicated.

10-now we can not build such as levels in one block on such inskape then break it down on the scene into separate GameObjects while keeping the look of the level as it is.

11-the support for the menu selection is only possible for the default mouse to joystick and keyboard must write code,

12-sometimes also the menu selection is very rough (selecting multiple buttons simultaneously although we do not over with the mouse) or next to the button and not above or it does not select the button that despite it is over it)
    also by enlarging the text a little, it becomes very pixelated.

could you please, and greatly facilitate a much more precise and much more accessible, the level design especially for a large number with the editor in this case, same for UI very complex to implement currently, thank you

porriez as you please suggest a similar function to transform the rigid body as add strength and velocity do not give the same type of desired movement,

sorry for the keypad and thank you again,

1. Mohamed Trigui

April 25, 2015 at 7:57 am /

Hello everyone,

(Translated with google translate)

(Could you please, delete my previous message, thank you)

First of all thank you very much for this news, I find it very interesting,

Otherwise I suggest other improvements, taking into account for example the project “please solve the game,” and other similar games,

in this project, there’s a very large number of objects Game, thousands of gameobject see, in every scene,
      eg for each scene it there’s 1000 platform, 1000 modular peaks separately, see etc.

3-is it possible you to improve and optimize the display and execution of such a scene, with other streaming technique, for example offer a configurable option or component which can activate and make visible only the visible gameobject or next to the player,

4-also suggest if possible to turn off for each component (pooling system for each component), instead of enabled disabled eg collider sleep or awake for rigid body because much less optimized than disabling activation,

6-currently, for example to put the platforms next to one another to form a continuous ground, I have to manually align very roughly, because you can not align the publisher Specifically x and y which has a long tedious job

7-also in the selection, when the scene is filled with these GameObjects, you can not select only one possible category Game object directly from the scene, for example, select only the platforms without the thorns beside,

8-also the rotation of these platforms to form a sloping floor in a precise angles is more difficult, because you can not tilt a selection precisely at a given angle, but very roughly, one by one,
      also when I turn off such a component as sprite renderer, I can no longer selected on the Stage,

Sometimes the collider polygon does not follow the shape of the game object in question, and editing is very rough and very complicated.

10-now you can not, for example, build such levels in one block on such inskape and then break it down on the scene into separate GameObjects, keeping the pace of the level as it is.

12-sometimes also the menu selection is very rough (selecting multiple buttons simultaneously, although we do not over with the mouse) or next to the button and not on it, or it does not select the button despite it flies over etc.)
      also by enlarging the text a little, it becomes very pixelated.

Also could you please provide a similar function to transform in the rigid body as add strength and velocity do not give the same type of desired movement,

sorry for the pavement, and thank you again,

good day, and soon.

1. Mohamed Trigui

April 25, 2015 at 8:20 am /

Also, save system ( between scenes or permenantly ) the navmeshs (Ia) , UI and others too , are complex and difficult to use and not possible by component configurable for save system , for example ,
        I also suggests other audio options, like play only when the level is completely loaded, etc
        (almost sugesstions even for 3d games also )

1. Mohamed Trigui

April 25, 2015 at 9:59 am /

(With google translation)
          Hello everyone,
          lists of other suggestions for me valid in 2D and 3D
          -have directly if possible the size and dimensions of any gameobject relative to the scene, or the distance of a gameobject versus another gameobject, or the position of a relative gameobject and perspective of another gameobject, simply use the default built-in function in the code
          -Integrate other missing composents as a backup, etc
          -Correct the bug below:
          the player gets stuck between two related platforms, where it uses rigid body instead of transform
          -Make possible through a simplified function of detecting a hidden gameobject in the camera’s field of view through its collider (with raycast)
          -possibility selected from a hidden gameobject on the scene (that means with sprite renderer off)
          -en 2d, making it possible to position and move the GameObjects with their rigidbody and collider according any ordinates z and not only with z equal to 0
          -in 2D correct default for z does not equal 0 or at a different spin to automatically position the player exactly the same ordinates of a platform for it does not fall
          -add other water meshes (not that circular) and also in 2D assets and correct the player is in the blank when it is below the water
          -Adjust automatically made either for or UI for different resolutions of the game when running in the editor or to have the same proportions and even made that does not change size or resolution that is currently variable which can induce mistaking especially when running the game in the editor compared to the executable and replace the anchor system UI by a much simplified system, less complicated and approximate
          -added options box in gameobject to make them case sensitive or not, and for numbered or not during the duplication of the gameobject in question
          -Make tilt or alignment after several game objects much simpler precise directly into the editor
          -Make unity ads much easier and instant integration and other services els in the game
          -added possibly other support and platform supported for unity ads not just mobile (eg pc, mac, game consoles, steam etc)
          -Integrate selection thanks to a UI component to the controller and keyboard exactly as is currently the case for mouse
          -simplifier the input editor and add other options and input options in the editor to the controller and touch keys if possible
          -Make errors or exceptions raised during compilation in the editor or other more precise and understandable and more specific (eg specify in the exception of no specific reference what gameobject scene and what it is)
          -Make the switch between the much faster platform instant view if possible because the switch is much longer now
          -possibility to compile on multiple platform at a time (selecting platforms concerned) and not compiled separately for each platform,
          -added more direct x 12 several other new APIs like the new opengl, mantle, etc.
          -If possible to add a third type of rendering mixture of 2D and 3D (eg such as paper Mario on Wii)
          -add option to add all the default assets into a single time (eg select them all at once)

Thank you so much again .

2. Paul Tham

April 25, 2015 at 10:01 am /

Thanks for the long list of suggestions. Let us digest them… stay tuned.

1. Mohamed Trigui

April 25, 2015 at 10:04 am /

26. Darcy Rayner

April 25, 2015 at 7:09 am /

It would be awesome if you could support multi-resolution textures, (not mip-maps, but loading different assets based on device resolution classes), and on-disc png compression in your asset pipeline. Without these, 2D mobile game development can be a real pain in Unity, with massive on disc install sizes, and tradeoffs between texture quality and memory usage. These are features other 2D focused engines support. Look at Cocos2D, SpriteKit, LibGDX etc.

April 25, 2015 at 9:55 am /

This is possible now with the release version of Unity5. It uses asset bundle variants. Have a look at this demo.

1. Darcy Rayner

April 26, 2015 at 3:51 am /

Oh, wow, I had no idea that existed. I’ve been stuck in 4.x land for a while, but that’s definitely along the lines of what I was hoping for. Is on disc png compression supported though? It’s hard to justify a game with 50mb of pre-build png assets taking up 1 gb of storage space on an iPhone. And pvrtc or rgba 16 bit compression simply is unusable for most 2d artwork.

April 26, 2015 at 5:05 am /

In the near future, EVERYTHING on disc will be lz4 compressed, not just textures. lz4 decompress is much faster than png, coupled with the reduced file size, should really be a better solution. Watch out for it in the near future.

27. Karyudo

April 25, 2015 at 4:07 am /

I’m curious but does this here “Smart Sprite” play nice with pixel art? That would be awesome… of course just having a built in tile-mapper is pretty awesome as it is.

28. Cayl

April 25, 2015 at 1:02 am /

Thank you from all my heart for supporting ETC1 decoupling, it’s been a huge nightmare for android developers. I however can’t stress enough the importance of free form deformation and skeleton animation (with IK preferably), smart sprite is incredible as well.
    Glad to see more devs on 2D, a huge bulk of unity developers use those tools systematically if not the majority. can we expect somthing by 5.2?

29. SeriousCreeper

April 25, 2015 at 12:39 am /

Sounds awesome! Does this work both in Unity 4 and 5 or only 5?

April 25, 2015 at 9:53 am /

These features are only available in the alpha build available from the bitbucket repo. When they mature, they will make it into the main product.

No plans to back port this to 4.x

30. Joseph D

April 25, 2015 at 12:24 am /

This is very exciting news! I love the level of commitment you have put into Unity’s 2D Tools and Features. I can’t wait to use the new Tile Editor and Smart Sprites …. These will greatly improve 2D Level Designs! I would also like to see the ability to use Normal Mapped Sprites for more dynamic 2D Lighting effects. Vector file format support would also be amazing and 2D dynamic shadows on Sprites. I would also like to see more 2D sample projects and tutorials for all the popular types of 2D games… So it’s easier for students to get started using Unity’s 2D features…these demos and sample projects also help to motivate and inspire students. It would also help if these sample projects and tutorials included how to easily make particle effects appropriate for 2D games and best practices for Lighting a 2D game. I didn’t mention skeletal animation for 2D characters similar to Puppet2D on the Asset Store and Spine. If it was easier to do this type of 2D Character animation and 2D effects inside of Unity, then students wouldn’t have to use other programs like Flash or After Effects or ToonBoom. I would also like to see a Timeline editor in Unity for both 2D and 3D for doing things like 2D / 3D lip synced character animations, cut scenes and any other things that require sync sound.

April 25, 2015 at 9:52 am /

2D Lighting is on the list. So is 2D skeletal animation. Will be shared in the alpha build as soon as they work.

31. Reactorcore

April 24, 2015 at 11:50 pm /

If theres one feature I’d highly request, its 2d skeletal animation. There’s a plugin on the asset store called Puppet2D which is a great example of this indispensable tool.

32. Kurt

April 24, 2015 at 9:46 pm /

Is there a 3D team working on equivalents, such as 3D prototyping (like probuilder), etc?

33. George

April 24, 2015 at 9:33 pm /

I’m wondering now, Unity stopped supporting Tegra2 and similar chips because of PhysX 3.3 and i’m not bashing that because my project does run better.
    But if we develop something with the new 2D only tools mind and use the 2d physics, can it run on non-neon cpus?

34. Kafal Khor

April 24, 2015 at 9:32 pm /

terrain 2D, skeleton animation.
    new system that allow develpoer creat or draw our characters (main character allow you edit it, change size or texture or anything in it, and main prefap that allow edit it to creat to you new prepafe like is home or tree or anything)

if you can add that

i am sorry about my bad english :3

i hope you add arabic language in unity and support it :)

35. Kafal Khor

April 24, 2015 at 9:27 pm /

i hope you add terrain 2D ,skeleton for animation and some effect like (fire, rain, snow,magics … etc)

system that allow developer to creat our characters and other prefaps easier
    for example, main character and can you edit it (edit size of head or hand or eays or … etc, change colors, add textures, add members of body,…etc) and system that allow developer creat prefap same as tree, boxs, homes or anything. only main prefap with allow edit it same as main character that speek it

i think this three thing will be support all 2D developer powerful and allow make great games :)

note: i am sorry about my bad english :p .
    and i hope if you support Arabic language in Unity ^^”

36. Mark

April 24, 2015 at 9:07 pm /

any comment on supporting navmesh for 2D games?

37. Brian

April 24, 2015 at 9:06 pm /

Importing vector formats would be nice

1. saman

April 25, 2015 at 8:53 am /

+1 for vectors.
      one of the best solutions for pixel perfect and multiresolution 2d game art is using vector formats. i think this is the only solution for pixel perfect game arts.

April 25, 2015 at 9:49 am /

We have importing vector formats in the ‘to consider’ list.

However, to achieve pixel perfect, it requires more than just this. Pixel perfect is one of our major pieces coming soon. When it works, you’ll first see it in the alpha release.

38. Rem

April 24, 2015 at 7:37 pm /

This is fantastic news! I love how you guys have become more open about your roadmap, asking for user feedback and early access to new versions.
    Way to go!

39. John

April 24, 2015 at 7:35 pm /

Wow, what a ripoff of Ferr2D… Please tell me you guys worked with the creator, or at least talked to him about it. This is so inconsiderate if you guys did not.

1. Samsson

April 25, 2015 at 7:13 pm /

Totaly Agree, looks like ferr2D !!

40. Ashish

April 24, 2015 at 7:34 pm /

Is there any possibilities for 2D shapes drawing similar to unity package Vectrosity.

41. Ahmed

April 24, 2015 at 6:32 pm /

When exactly is the official update for this feature coming?a Month?

1. Zirkonium

April 24, 2015 at 10:29 pm /

I would guess it wont be coming for several months because 5.1 is coming this summer and these 2D features are not part of it.

1. Ahmed

April 25, 2015 at 4:52 am /

Well I guess its winters then? I am just starting with a game with very huge tilemaps.. Guess i’ll have to write my own tiny tilemap system

42. Oliver

April 24, 2015 at 6:01 pm /

This is fantastic news! Will it support tile animations and can we manipulate the tilemap at runtime?

A big question I have is how fully featured are you planning to do these implementations? If you don’t go “all the way” we will end up buying assets from the Asset Store for better implementations anyway.

1. Juha Kiili

April 24, 2015 at 8:08 pm /

You can create/manipulate the tilemap runtime. Animations are not supported in this build, but we are considering it.

1. Shawn

April 25, 2015 at 4:27 am /

That would be amazing. None of the options on the Asset Store support this easily, it would be a huge win for 2d fidelity in tile-based games.

43. Michael Chugg

April 24, 2015 at 5:47 pm /

How do you pull off corner sprites like in your sample image above with your alpha build? I could not figure out how to do it.

1. Bruno de Franca Freyn

April 24, 2015 at 7:08 pm /

Hi Michael, they used an example image of this plugin:

Hope it’s useful. =)

2. De-Panther

April 24, 2015 at 9:09 pm /

44. Gonarch

April 24, 2015 at 5:32 pm /

How much of the tilemap stuff is accessible at runtime? Asking this because would be good to be able to recreate a tilemap at runtime from external data with an inbuilt system instead of relying on complex reconstruction of 2d tile maps.

1. Juha Kiili

April 24, 2015 at 8:08 pm /

You can create/manipulate the tilemap runtime.

45. Eric

April 24, 2015 at 5:25 pm /

Quick question about the tile mapper, does it support Isometric?

1. Eric

April 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm /

By tile mapper I mean tile editor.

2. Juha Kiili

April 24, 2015 at 8:09 pm /

Not yet, but supporting isometric is a high priority.

1. Shawn

April 25, 2015 at 4:31 am /

Also please make sure to support all 4 tile sorting options:
        * Bottom Left > Top Right
        * Top Left > Bottom Right
        * BottomRight > TopLeft
        * TopRight > BottomLeft

46. RDVT

April 24, 2015 at 4:45 pm /

Es fantastico lo que se puede hacer con este engine. Sigan así!!!!! Espero pronto tener todas las licencias pro.

47. Rob

April 24, 2015 at 4:40 pm /

I’d love to see something related to the resurgence of adventure games, which often have been using Unity. Perhaps making it easier to build games that have 2D backgrounds with 3D characters? Maybe even talk to Obsidian to see how they solved some of those issues for Pillars of Eternity.

48. DeltaM

April 24, 2015 at 4:33 pm /

Looking forward to an awesome title editor. Would love to see a good Implementation of ’tiled’

49. Sami

April 24, 2015 at 4:23 pm /

“You can find the link to the current alpha from our Bitbucket repo.” — we can see the source code of the new features???

April 24, 2015 at 4:26 pm /

Source code to the demo projects only. Unity core sources are not published at any public repo.

50. AtomR

April 24, 2015 at 4:20 pm /

What about bump mapped sprites that work with the sprite editor and spritesheets? Would be sweet :)

51. Diego Gabriel Ruiz

April 24, 2015 at 4:06 pm /

Something really useful is to see a 2D Skeletan Animation System integrated with the editor. Something similar to Smooth Moves.

April 24, 2015 at 4:27 pm /

This is on our roadmap. Coming soon…

1. vakabaka

April 25, 2015 at 8:33 am /

thanks :)

52. Bastien

April 24, 2015 at 3:59 pm /

Finally ! Masking for the sprites, one of the features i was waiting the most ! And a real tile map editor, embedded with Unity. Looks awesome !

53. CS

April 24, 2015 at 3:55 pm /

I need 2D skeletal animation(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEIuVGbbsjU) like Uni2D or spine, dynamic collider (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_bw-UF1PjU) like Uni2D and Inverse Kinematics(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqb4Hz4rqI) like Spine.

And also pls fix this bug. It’s still haven fixed yet since Jan 20, 2015. Thanks.

1. Kenneth

April 26, 2015 at 6:58 pm /

YES! This artifact bug has been bugging me for so long! Paul, is there any chance this will be fixed soon?

Not the best example, but here is a picture of something I’m working on with the mentioned artifacts: http://puu.sh/hroMa/f884348038.png

54. Javier M

April 24, 2015 at 3:29 pm /

Remember that 2.5D is also important.

3D models with 2D physics is a kind of hard for scripting.

55. Breyer

April 24, 2015 at 3:28 pm /

i wonder these changes to sprite affect UI component as well? especially better 9-slice, and just courious if Smart Sprite can be used within UI as well (but i guess no). I cannot test for myself because u require Pro license

56. Peter

April 24, 2015 at 3:22 pm /

Is there any documentation for the new features? I’m doing a lot of sprite based work now and so this will be useful to have a good early look at.

April 24, 2015 at 4:25 pm /

Yes, we will, overtime, slowly add documentation. In the coming few days, you will see some early documentation for some of the features written and posted at the bitbucket repo. Please check back or watch the repo.