Mike Capps Joins Unity as Internal Advisor

May 7, 2015 in Rants & Raves

I’m very excited to announce that Dr. Mike Capps will be joining Unity Technologies as an advisor to me, our exec team and to our core R&D team.

Many of you are familiar with Mike. He’s been one of the most important names in games and game technology for well over a decade.  His knowledge and experience with engines is phenomenal and it’s incredible to have him on our team.

Mike will be spending approximately one week per month on Unity, starting with a trip to Copenhagen in early May.

He’s a very strong supporter of Unity’s core principles of solving hard problems so our developers don’t have to, and the movement to democratize game development. He’ll be a huge boon to us in Unity continuing down that path.

So please join me in welcoming Mike!

– John

DrMikeCappsI’m excited to join the team as Advisor to the CEO, and I can’t wait to help shape Unity’s next chapter.

I’ve had the pleasure of working with John a few times over the years, and have always been impressed with his leadership and drive.  He’d probably shy away from the word “mentor,” but he always had the time to provide me with guidance when I asked.  When he took the helm of a game engine company, I finally had the chance to repay some of the great advice he’d given me over the years.

As I’ve spent time with John, Joachim, and other smart Unity folks, I’ve been so impressed with their excitement, optimism, and commitment to the democratization of game technology.  I was surprised to be invited to speak at the Unity 5 launch, but was happy to do so, because the message was one I believe in strongly: better tools, more easily available, will lead to more and better games.

Unity is in such an enviable position in the industry. I see so much exciting potential, and opportunities where I might be able to help, that this role was a logical next step.  I’ll do my best to advise John and the leadership team to keep Unity’s tools driving innovation and creative self-expression in ways we can’t even imagine.

I look forward to getting started and visiting Unity’s offices around the world!

-mike capps

@solidfog

1. Untitled

May 14, 2015 at 4:42 pm /

Mike “2 weeks” Capps?

2. =n

May 14, 2015 at 3:46 pm /

try

3. koblavi

May 10, 2015 at 10:50 pm /

Welcome Mike.
    It’s great to see Unity hiring some of the biggest names in the industry. I think I like the direction this is heading in.

4. Ashkan

May 9, 2015 at 8:32 am /

Welcome Mike!!!!
    I don’t see the reason for panic that happens around. These people are clearly wise people with lots of experience and wisdom and know what they are doing. DH knoew what he was doing when bringing John on board.

Yes unity will clearly put energy on stuff for big games but even that is great for indies because it will mean they’ll have more money to move the engine forward.

They’ll be more great online services and Unity will be partly cloud service but aren’t we using many others? Why is it bad that Game Engines use the tech as well? Why is it ok for databases, online shopping, office productivity but not for online services which games require???

5. pberberian

May 8, 2015 at 5:10 pm /

Congrats Mike and Unity team. Mike is on our board and is a fantastic director – I’m sure his contribution will be very substantive and strategic. BTW our dev team loves Unity at Sphero – great product!

6. Linus Ahlemeyer

May 8, 2015 at 11:34 am /

Welcome, Mike!

7. satishkumar ghinaiya

May 8, 2015 at 9:14 am /

i am happy to hear.welcome.

8. Tech Blog

May 8, 2015 at 5:48 am /

Welcome mike,
    I you will make something difference ;)
    tech blog

9. Aleander Blanco

May 8, 2015 at 12:01 am /

John Riccitiello and Mike Capps come from a AAA game development background. Are you planning to focus more on AAA games now?

1. John Riccitiello

May 8, 2015 at 2:08 am /

Unity will always be a huge supporter of Indie developers. And we are very, very focused on mobile. I would not read too much into where Mike and I came from before Unity. On the other hand, we are definitely working hard on graphics tech. Unity 5 was a big step in this direction.

1. alexander blanco

May 9, 2015 at 7:25 am /

Thank you for responding to my comment, its an honor. I think you’re the most important person in gaming that has ever directly responded to my comment. I dont mean to be too reactionary. I believe AAA games and indie games can co-exist. Mike Capps, Rob Pardo, and yourself have been involved in the making of great AAA games that I love. I definitely think making a powerful engine that can operate at a AAA scale is also great for indies. Graphics definitely are important to insure developers can create a whole array of creative visuals.

10. Hemanth

May 7, 2015 at 8:11 pm /

Welcome Mike, looking forward to the more improvements in the unity ecosystem :) !

11. pixnlove

May 7, 2015 at 7:57 pm /

Welcome,
    I already have a job for you Mike,
    Just make sure that Unity never drop they amazing and stable web plugin over the very unstable and unsable WebGL.
    Regardless of the fact that Google Chrome(the most popurlar browser to date) does not support plugins.

12. Jonathan westfall

May 7, 2015 at 7:37 pm /

Welcome I am looking forward to what you will be doing as a new member of the Unity team.

13. khaled fakey