The State of Unity on Linux

July 1, 2015 in Technology

Hello lovely people!

Last week at Unite Europe, the Unity roadmap was made public, and it included a highly-voted feature on our feedback site: a Linux port of the Unity editor.  This past weekend I wrote a post on my personal blog about my own thoughts about our experience porting the Unity editor to Linux.  It turned out to be a pretty popular post, and it was amazing to see so many positive comments and reaction from our community, so we thought it would be nice to do something a bit more ‘official’ on the company blog and explain what you’ll be able to expect from our Linux port.

Unity was originally written for Mac OS X, and the Windows port came along in 2009 with the release of Unity 2.5.  Porting Unity from Mac to Windows was already a lot of work, and as you can imagine, Unity has grown considerably in size and complexity since 2009.  So porting to a third platform has been a lot of (very fun) work and taken a lot of time.

There are some of us who have been working on the Linux port of the editor since the beginning (which started in 2011 at an early ‘Ninja Camp’, according to our version control history), but several different people at Unity have helped work on one aspect or another along the way (lately it has been Levi spending the most time on the project, with myself and others, helping whenever/however possible, so buy him a beer if you see him).  Like I mentioned in my personal blog post, a lot of focus during this time has been on dealing with case-sensitivity issues (NTFS is case-insensitive, as is HFS+ by default; Unity doesn’t work on a case-sensitive system — sorry about that!) and native window management / input handling.  But we’re getting there!

What We Expect it Will Do

• Run on 64-bit Linux (just like with our player, the ‘official’ support will be for Ubuntu due to its market share, and just like with our player, it should run on most modern Linux distributions); the earliest version of Ubuntu supported will be 12.04 (which is what our build/test farm is running).
  • Export to all of the same platforms as the Mac OS X editor (except for iOS; maybe someday we’ll enable exporting to iOS the same way we do from the Windows editor, but not initially)
  • Import all asset types not dependent on non-portable 3rd-party middleware
  • Support global illumination, occlusion culling, and all other systems reliant on portable 3rd-party middleware

Limitations

• It will require modern, vendor-provided graphics drivers
  • Some of the model importers that rely on external applications (i.e, 3ds Max and SketchUp) won’t work; the workaround is to export to FBX instead

The Plan Right Now: An Experimental Build

The Linux port of Unity currently lives in an internally ‘forked’ repo.  Our plan is currently to prepare an early experimental build for you from this fork (that is kept more or less in sync with Unity’s mainline development branch) that you will be able to try out.  Based on how that experiment goes, we’ll figure out if it’s something we can sustain as an official port alongside our Mac and Windows editors (the Linux runtime support was also released as a preview initially, due to concerns about support and the fragmentation of Linux distributions, and the support burden turned out to be very low, despite a very significant percentage of Linux games on Steam being made with Unity, so I’m hopeful; we’ll have to see how it goes).

It’s been a really long time and I couldn’t be more excited.  Levi, myself, and all of the other people who have helped with the Linux port over the years (the list is pretty long!) can’t wait to get it into your hands.

P.S. Here are some more teaser screenshots:

blacksmith-2
blacksmith-1
blacksmith-3
bridge-3
bridge-4
bridge-6
Unity Editor on Linux
crs-2
Unity Editor on Linux

P.P.S – We’re really interested in hearing how you will use the Linux Editor — what platforms you will be exporting to, whether you’re interested specifically in doing regular development on Linux or mostly interested in automated build pipelines, etc.

Much love from Unity,

Na’Tosha (@natosha_bard)

1. Ricardo Maltez

August 27, 2015 at 12:06 pm /

A dream come true, thanks for this.
    Thanks for all the effort to bring this great game engine to Linux!

2. Matheus Faustino

August 26, 2015 at 9:15 pm /

I can’t open Unity, properly, in my machine(I’m using archLinux) because it stuck in “Sign into you account”.
    I’m getting this error “Service not available, please try again later.” And yes, I have a Unity account.

3. Timendainum

August 26, 2015 at 6:01 pm /

I’ve actually stopped using Unity quite a while ago when I gave up Windows. Been considering trying Unreal Engine as I understand they currently have a working Linux toolset.

I really hope Unity is able to deliver a Linux client. I’d love to get back into it.

4. Xander de Groot

August 26, 2015 at 12:35 pm /

Please unity every developer wants to work on linux. But we work on Windows pc’s because we can’t use Unity3d on linux yet…

5. Dominic Cerisano

August 25, 2015 at 4:23 pm /

Will there be a 32 bit version? It would be pretty awesome to run Unity on an Android tablet.

6. Vipi

August 24, 2015 at 10:19 pm /

One should be very much wait ?

7. C010N

August 23, 2015 at 6:28 pm /

horawwwwwww!
    We are waiting to use unity3d on linux!!

8. very wow

August 22, 2015 at 11:19 pm /

gogogo!11!!!

9. Mourtz

August 20, 2015 at 11:29 pm /

Can’t wait!

10. apaza610

August 20, 2015 at 8:16 pm /

Finally I can delete Windows, and stay with the OS that I like, great work developers, Unity editor was the only program that was keeping me from total switch to GNU/Ubuntu :) , bye bye windows.

11. rosdi

August 20, 2015 at 1:11 pm /

Unity should not be wasting resources developing for and later supporting linux. Unity should focus all resources on Windows and Mac.

1. borzale

August 20, 2015 at 4:46 pm /

I see you haven’t of the steambox.

2. ThaiCat

August 29, 2015 at 8:10 am /

Unity should not be wasting resources developing for and later supporting mac. Unity should focus all resources on Windows and Linux.

12. Rui Pereira

August 20, 2015 at 12:03 am /

Finally, a native port. Been using Unity on Linux Mint using “playonlinux” and get the occasional Unity freeze. Where does one to register for the Experimental build?

13. Adam

August 19, 2015 at 10:16 pm /

YESSSSSSSSSS. Finally I won’t have to run Unity in PlayOnLinux! It works pretty well, but a native editor will be SO nice. I have a game coming out later this year for Android that will be made entirely in Unity on an Ubuntu system. My next game will be so much easier to create if Unity runs natively for me.

1. Adam

August 19, 2015 at 10:17 pm /

P.S. I would be more than happy to be a beta tester for this venture. I’m just excited that it’s happening at all!

14. ERGurney

August 19, 2015 at 8:05 pm /

I just built my first Linux box. I’m learning Blender now. When Unity for Linux is ready, I’ll be ready. Don’t spare the horses!

15. XER

August 17, 2015 at 10:09 pm /

I just read your post and it made me extremely happy to see that hopefully the port to Linux will be ready That means that I will be able to do all my work entirely on Linux as the only reason that keeps me from removing completely windows from my computer is Unity3d not yet available in Linux.

You are doing an extremely great work, and I am quite sure all the Linux community is going to appreciate all the efforts you all are making. It may seem like a trivial issue, but you are making many people happy, and, after all, that is what life is all about.

Thanks a lot!

16. B. Howard

August 17, 2015 at 9:23 pm /

The Unity editor is the ONLY part of my toolchain and general use software that does not also have a Linux port or substitute. Please, please, free me from the M$ dungeon!

Well, I suppose I’d have to still boot to it to test the windows version, but the main point of using Unity is not having to handle platform-specific code. The lighter distros (Of which Steam OS will definitely be one, once it’s fully worked up) are also much easier to pare down to a minimal functioning build to leave as many clock cycles and as much RAM as possible for chugging through unoptimized code and assets on a machine that, er, let’s just say it stands well back from the bleeding edge.

17. Vu Hung

August 16, 2015 at 8:11 pm /

tell me if beta version is available, thank you so much

18. Andrew Witte

August 14, 2015 at 9:53 am /

I would much prefer to do Android and Tizen dev on Linux as both are Linux based.
    I prefer BB10 dev on OSX as its BSD based and WP on Windows ect.

In each case terminal commands and OS internals are more in sync and seem to run more smoothly.

19. don bright

August 14, 2015 at 2:05 am /

I have been waiting for something like this, for linux, for 19 years. Thank you for making the attempt.

20. XELFAER

August 12, 2015 at 6:19 pm /

I look forward to exit the program under the OS Linux, in particular for the distribution Debian.

21. Amadren

August 12, 2015 at 12:16 am /

Currently using Unity 5.0.4 on Fedora 23 using Wine 1.7.48. I’m impatient to see the native port. Hope there will be a RPM or at least a tar.gz package available :)

22. Dennis Fehr

August 11, 2015 at 9:18 pm /

Oh.. My.. Word…. The one thing holding me back from using Unity is not going to be a thing anymore? This is great news! Thank you guys so much! I’m sure you have made many people happy!

23. chen

August 10, 2015 at 12:25 pm /

i love it!hurry up!!

24. Benjamin M

August 6, 2015 at 1:21 pm /

Sooo excited

25. Csaba Babos

August 6, 2015 at 1:14 pm /

This is a really awesome step, thank you!

If there is a chance to subscribe for the beta… I definitely want to subscribe. Currently planning to change my workspace to arch linux, so there will be at least one tester on an ‘unsupported’ distro. :)

26. JG

August 4, 2015 at 10:27 pm /

I am currently using Unity 5.1.1 on my Linux Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) via the PlayOnLinux script.

I am really excited to see a Linux port of Unity, since there are a couple quirks I’m kind of sick of.

I intend on exporting mainly to Linux, Windows, and MAC; In the long run I would also port to Android & iOS.

27. jake

August 4, 2015 at 3:58 pm /

Looking forward to Linux editor support!!!!

28. rinku saru

August 3, 2015 at 11:02 am /

I love working on linux however due to the unity3d porting limitation i’ve to stick on window.
    I love to see how does it work on linux.

29. Okan

August 1, 2015 at 8:13 pm /

This is amazing. Any estimate on release date? Please hurry!!

30. Theocharis Kyriakidis

August 1, 2015 at 7:32 pm /

So the time to delete that Windows partition finally came :D Thanks for your effort ppl!!

31. vincent

August 1, 2015 at 4:06 pm /

Really too excited to hear the linux version of Unity which I have been waiting for so long.
    I have been usingUnity on Mac but it is too high cost to own a mac.
    Linux is a much better choice. Windows? I use it for PC games only instead of any productivity works.

32. vince

August 1, 2015 at 4:00 pm /

Just saw this one month old post, that’s awesome, excellent news !! :D

33. digitalPurist

July 31, 2015 at 3:02 pm /

Any news updates?
    Can’t wait to use it on linux.
    Windows sux.

34. Enzo Ferrari

July 30, 2015 at 4:50 pm /

Wow!
    I stille have a Windows partition only to run Unity.
    You will make me very happy! :)

35. Aditya

July 30, 2015 at 4:39 pm /

Even if u guys have pre alpha builds let us know. The linux and Unity community will love to help.

36. Aditya

July 30, 2015 at 3:53 pm /

If I ever became a billionaire, u guys are in for a heck of a party.

37. Luke

July 29, 2015 at 3:05 pm /

Waiting for this to arrive so I can start working on a project with Unity, hope it happens soon!

38. TJ Moore

July 29, 2015 at 1:33 am /

I have been developing on Windows for some time but the ONLY reason I have continued with Windows OS (Until recently) was because of Unity3d. With Windows 10 now hitting the market I have decided to bite the bullet and dump it for Linux. I am running Unity3D via Wine which has some issues and is very difficult to tweak. I am sooooo excited to hear you are porting to Linux and I really can’t wait for it. I would port all my projects to all other platforms if possible.

So, are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

39. Game Developer

July 28, 2015 at 10:19 pm /

Awesome! I will buy Unity immediately once the Linux version is ready!

40. Márlon

July 26, 2015 at 7:33 pm /

Muito bom

41. Clara

July 26, 2015 at 4:29 pm /

This is such a great thing! I know this announce is a month old now, but I really felt the need to express my gratitude for this.

Unity 3D is the only reason I restored the OEM Windows from my laptop…

42. Denzil

July 24, 2015 at 11:09 am /

Awesome! It’s about time! I think you’ll see more devs switch to unity

43. Viperion

July 23, 2015 at 9:02 pm /

Then translated into the 32 bit linux on the unity editor?

44. Pilzschaf

July 23, 2015 at 11:35 am /

Can’t wait for it. Unity and Linux will be a nice combination. I love Linux for developing and being able to work with my favorite engine on my favorite OS will make things much easier and faster.

45. LillyViP

July 23, 2015 at 10:09 am /

Hi Guys! Thank you so much for your hard work! I’m impatiently waiting and will be surely using the Linux version relentlessly!!! I actually need in order to present my social sciences research in kind of a game-parkour walk style! I’m currently running Ubuntu 14.04 (64 bits)!

46. Mint64

July 22, 2015 at 1:09 pm /

Oh yes please, that would be awesome! Unity on Linux is something I’m waiting for. At the moment I dual boot just because of Unity, everything else fully Linux (I use Modo 705 Linux for Asset Creation and Krita for textures).

47. Elijah Lynn

July 21, 2015 at 2:36 pm /

#unity3d on #linux Weekend Hack Results: Buildsytem for installers: ✅ .deb package: ✅ self-extracting shell script: ✅ Soon my dears, soon.

48. Elijah Lynn

July 21, 2015 at 1:56 pm /

That is what I am currently trying to do, get started with Google Cardboard. Running Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit). Please put me on the early beta list!

1. Skip Steuart

July 24, 2015 at 12:14 am /

We are developing a photorealistic 3D scanner, and it would be nice to export our data into Unity. Our development environment is 64-bit Linux 14.04. We could integrate our data into Unity more easily if Unity ran on Linux. Please let me know when it is available.

49. John

July 20, 2015 at 7:48 pm /

With Linux having a combined actual global usage of less than 2% – why are you guys spending time on Linux? There are so many other things that need fixing.

Windows is 90%+ share, OSX is almost all of the rest.

I understand that there are a lot of non-business folks or nerds that love Linux, but there are *very few* people that actually *purchase* apps or spend money on the Linux platform.

1. Andrei

July 21, 2015 at 11:37 am /

I only have linux machines , reason is simple, linux is programmer friendly and I would love to have my favorite game engine on linux , and not use wine and other gimmic to get it working … I would be more than glad and I will actually buy a license for that.

2. Rustam

July 22, 2015 at 1:59 am /

I agree with Andrei. I am a programmer too and only reason i am using Windows is because of unity3d Engine. I would love to programm on Linux again.

3. Lunarcloud

July 23, 2015 at 5:17 am /

Except, that’s a stereotype that isn’t true.
      I’ve bought plenty of games on Steam for Linux, I’ve purchased codecs and the one legal DVD player software from fluendo.

Stats to back me up:

4. Game Developer

July 28, 2015 at 10:21 pm /

The consumer market share is irrelevant! In my company the market share of Linux is about 50%.

5. Ubuntu User

July 28, 2015 at 10:22 pm /

It’s Windows users who use Pirate Bay etc and don’t want to pay for anything…

6. Luke

July 29, 2015 at 3:09 pm /

While that may be true for the people you’re selling your games to, this probably isn’t the case for Unity, who aren’t selling games to gamers, but a game engine to developers. I’m sure the percentage of developers using linux is much higher than that of gamers.

7. Luke

August 7, 2015 at 11:50 pm /

It’s also important to keep in mind that a large REASON Windows & Mac are such a large part of the market share is because most of the big software developers aren’t making ports to it. There’s a fair bit of people that only keep using Windows because there’s one or two programs that they just can’t run on Linux. It’s the same for businesses. No business wants to cough up $ on licenses, but the software they need is only for Windows. Unity is showing some great initiative by doing this.

8. Thomas

August 10, 2015 at 10:31 pm /

I’m a programmer and I despise Windows. The clunky nature, the hidious amount of bloat and memory usage, and not to mention the utter nightmare with updating software. Linux would make my job significantly easier, and I can’t wait to see Unity In Linux.

Keep up the fine work Unity Team.

50. Viperion

July 19, 2015 at 4:34 am /

Does anybody know when they will reveal the release date pls?

51. Emmanuel Eytan

July 19, 2015 at 1:37 am /

I’m currently working on a project where a camera with a proprietary driver sends its data to Unity through a C++ plugin we wrote. The camera only has Windows and Linux drivers, no Mac. The client does not want a Windows client. So, currently, we can only test the program when it’s built. This has led to many problems. We can run Unity in Wine, but then Unity can’t find the Linux version of the plugin, or use the Windows one. If we had the Unity editor running directly on Linux, it would make the whole development process much, much easier.

52. Ricardo

July 15, 2015 at 9:07 pm /

great.. When will we able to try it out?

53. tod

July 14, 2015 at 2:41 pm /

Any idea as to when roughly we will have beta builds availabl for testing?

54. RumblePat

July 14, 2015 at 3:50 am /

Sweet. Unity has been the only reason why I had Windows installed on my computer.

55. Johnny C D

July 13, 2015 at 7:49 pm /

Brilliant news! Thank you!

56. Luke Jones

July 13, 2015 at 12:58 am /

The number one reason I stopped using Unity; No Linux Editor.

I pretty much refuse to use Windows. Linux is my preferred development platform, as well as being my preferred gaming platform.

57. Valvy

July 12, 2015 at 5:46 pm /

This news might switch me back to unity3d !!! :)

58. Ruben Carneiro

July 11, 2015 at 5:02 pm /

When it will be ready for testing? And how we get it?
    Just cant wait to use it finally.

59. Constantin

July 11, 2015 at 11:35 am /

My Unity license is really outdated by now. A Linux Port of the engine would be a reason to invest in a new one :)

60. TheDiamondGames

July 8, 2015 at 6:59 am /

Yay!
    I am interested in standalone/android/ios(gotta get a mac)
    I am interested in testing the expermental build!

61. Bejan Sebastian

July 7, 2015 at 7:36 pm /

Can’t wait.

62. Cygon

July 7, 2015 at 3:22 pm /

This is great news! :)

I’ve been a Pro customer since Unity 4.0 and while the royalty-free licensing terms and productivity gains are what binds me to Unity, Unity is also the only reason I still run Windows on my workstation while every other PC in my house runs Linux.

The idea of running Windows 10 has become rather unpalatable for me (forced updates, advertising + social stuff built-in, privacy issues), so I am extremely happy to have a native Linux solution.

A big thank you to everyone involved for investing your own time in this port! I hope it becomes official.

63. sharavsambuu

July 7, 2015 at 6:42 am /

Can’t wait ^^

64. abigail

July 7, 2015 at 5:31 am /

Linux!!! Oh Yes!

65. Mark Fowler

July 7, 2015 at 1:16 am /

When you are ready to have us test it, I am ready to go with Linux Mint.

66. Ricardo Viana

July 6, 2015 at 10:22 am /

wow…. finally..

67. Dejan Omasta

July 5, 2015 at 9:14 pm /

This is great news, long time Unity3D user and I was looking forward to this. Great work Na’Tosha!

In studio environment Linux and OSX would be preferred OS platforms, they play nice and are far more reliable. So it’s obvious why Linux editor is one of most voted features. I’m happy that Unity has finally broaden it’s sights even if it perhaps had to be made to do so by current market.

It would be really awesome as next step to do move to more impartial and more open code editor policy.

When can we expect to test experimental build ?

68. greenland

July 5, 2015 at 6:01 pm /

Is there a decent C# editor on Linux though? i.e. not a MonoDevelop fork… since that is virtually unusable on Mac OS. I’m doing iOS development on Windows just to have an editor that’s not insane.

1. r618

July 5, 2015 at 10:20 pm /

you can select project / solution file after opening folder with unity project (and having monodevelop project from unity generated )
      – no debugger
      – have to have mono framework installed for its c# features to work
      – similar to sublime + omnisharp

Better than MD on intergalactic scale ( which I still occasionally use it though, but as latest Xamarin studio + unity provided plugin for MD )

69. Álmos

July 5, 2015 at 4:22 pm /

Really? Only Linux?? Are you kidding me? What about OpenBSD support?? Or at least FreeBSD? You guys are a horrible example of an evil company.

70. Antwan

July 5, 2015 at 10:09 am /

Ok so the next question now is when this beta version will be released?

71. Jack

July 5, 2015 at 2:35 am /

Linux huh? This smacks of EU meddling. I’d prefer FreeBSD, well not really, Ubuntu is fine too.

Maybe I’ll make a tri-boot Mac Mini Autumn 2014 with Iris GPU & 8 GB RAM even though there is not much work I’d do programming wise outside of Unity 5 anymore anyway but…

Can os X with Boot Camp do tri-boot or just dual boot with Windows and os X?

I’ll have a 1 TB when I buy, with 512 GB as a shared Documents between Windows 10, os X 10, and Linux. Of the remaining 512 GB, 256 GB to Windows 10, 128 to os X 10, and 128 GB to Linux.

What FS should I use on the shared 512 GB Documents – I was thing NT FS but old enough that os X and Linux won’t have trouble mounting it.

Is 128 GB enough for newest Linux? I was going to use Ubuntu as the most consumer ready distro.

Thanks.

1. Lolone

July 5, 2015 at 2:54 am /

You would have to install grub/LILO into logical partition created by os x for windows iirc; then booting into Linux would go by choosing Windows while efi displays bootable partitions; from there should take over grub/LILO / choosing between windows and Linux /
      Google this – there most certainly will be some obstacles/ pitfalls

As for ntfs – reading is fine, there might be / were problems with writing;
      Generally the fat32 is safest, although doesn’t support big files / like more than 4gb iirc

1. Jack

July 5, 2015 at 3:47 am /

Hey Lolone,

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid LILO/GRUB but that’s OK.

The fat32 is OK too with the only problem being if Unity did something advanced for build or source control reasons.

1. Jack

July 5, 2015 at 4:16 am /

72. lolone

July 4, 2015 at 11:54 pm /

What about Unity on iOS? It would be a cool thing to have it on the IOS platform, too. Maybe not with all of the features that the Unity for Mac and Windows has, maybe just with the possibility to export it only for iOS; or if it will have all of the features like the others, it would be awesome to choose some options, so it wouldn’t lag or just to not occupy and use so much memory (RAM and/ or Flash). Or maybe it would be great if there was just the MonoDevelop-Unity for iOS. What I’m trying to say is that not anyone has a PC, Mac, Linux, Android, DOS, Amiga or ZX Spectrum and maybe there could be a way to code in MonoDevelop (Objective-C and Swift) or to create a game in Unity, but this things done on iOS.

1. Leone

July 5, 2015 at 2:55 am /

You are happy doing that?

1. lolone

July 5, 2015 at 3:35 am /

me personally ? no, why would I; as for others – can’t speak for them
        i just joined the multiplatform fun ( it is unity blog, after all )
        btw if you are asking question you have the wording in wrong order
        cheers, have a great weekend

1. Leone

July 5, 2015 at 3:05 pm /

I know I have written the question wrong but I really don’t understand what was with you when you tried to make the jokes about the other platforms…

2. Jack

July 5, 2015 at 3:50 am /

For sure iOS would be restricted from such activities, WinRT and Android and others worth their security claims for that matter.

73. Leone

July 4, 2015 at 9:29 pm /

So much hate I see it here. Lol. Just 12 y/o kids. So funny.

1. Leone

July 4, 2015 at 9:46 pm /

Just a kid made the jokes with DOS, ZX and Amiga starting from my request about Unity on Android. I just took a look at the comments and there were some minor errors: the hour the comments were posted (some minutes difference between each other) and the joke about my name. Nothing more, nothing less. Those b*tthurt kids that think they can have everything just pisses me off. Kid, next time, try harder, maybe you’ll do it better.

74. Huluti

July 4, 2015 at 3:20 pm /

Thank you very much Unity3d programmers ! It’s a very good news.

75. NEOLE

July 4, 2015 at 2:33 pm /

What about Unity on ZX Spectrum? It would be a cool thing to have it on the ZX Spectrum platform, too. Maybe not with all of the features that the Unity for Mac and Windows has, maybe just with the possibility to export it only for ZX Spectrum; or if it will have all of the features like the others, it would be awesome to choose some options, so it wouldn’t lag or just to not occupy and use so much memory (RAM and/ or cassette tapes). Or maybe it would be great if there was just the MonoDevelop-Unity for ZX Spectrum. What I’m trying to say is that not anyone has a PC, Mac, Linux, Android, DOS or Amiga and maybe there could be a way to code in BASIC or assembly or to create a game in Unity, but this things done on ZX Spectrum.

76. PANTHER

July 4, 2015 at 2:20 pm /

What about Unity on Amiga? It would be a cool thing to have it on the Amiga platform, too. Maybe not with all of the features that the Unity for Mac and Windows has, maybe just with the possibility to export it only for Amiga; or if it will have all of the features like the others, it would be awesome to choose some options, so it wouldn’t lag or just to not occupy and use so much memory (RAM and/ or Floppy disk). Or maybe it would be great if there was just the MonoDevelop-Unity for Amiga. What I’m trying to say is that not anyone has a PC, Mac, Linux, Android or DOS, and maybe there could be a way to code in MUI or to create a game in Unity, but this things done on Amiga.

77. ENOEL

July 4, 2015 at 2:14 pm /

What about Unity on DOS? It would be a cool thing to have it on the DOS platform, too. Maybe not with all of the features that the Unity for Mac and Windows has, maybe just with the possibility to export it only for Windows 3.11; or if it will have all of the features like the others, it would be awesome to choose some options, so it wouldn’t lag or just to not occupy and use so much memory (RAM and/ or Floppy disk). Or maybe it would be great if there was just the MonoDevelop-Unity for DOS. What I’m trying to say is that not anyone has a PC, Mac, Linux or Android, and maybe there could be a way to code in BASIC or to create a game in Unity, but this things done on DOS.

78. Leone

July 4, 2015 at 7:42 am /

What about Unity on Android? It would be a cool thing to have it on the Android platform, too. Maybe not with all of the features that the Unity for Mac and Windows has, maybe just with the possibility to export it only for Android; or if it will have all of the features like the others, it would be awesome to choose some options, so it wouldn’t lag or just to not occupy and use so much memory (RAM and/ or Flash/ SD card). Or maybe it would be great if there was just the MonoDevelop-Unity for Android. What I’m trying to say is that not anyone has a PC, Mac or Linux, and maybe there could be a way to code in MonoDevelop (JavaScript, C# and Boo) or to create a game in Unity, but this things done on Android.

79. Lopparg

July 4, 2015 at 2:05 am /

Yeah, I waited for it so long. Pleaser make it happen! I love Linux and I love Unity3D. The perfect combination

80. Chad

July 3, 2015 at 11:17 pm /

Beta access soon? Or do we just have to wait? I see 3-4 others asked this above.

81. Leonard03

July 3, 2015 at 5:53 pm /

A Linux version? Yes, please!

82. Worldsday

July 3, 2015 at 3:28 am /

Terrific news! I’ve been using a Linux pipeline for all my animation and graphic design for 8 years now. It’s good to know there’s one less barrier to breaking into Unity now. I wonder, will this also mean more attention will be spent on integration with Blender, the preeminent app for 3d content creation on Linux?

83. Vali

July 3, 2015 at 1:55 am /

The day the linux port for the editor was announced I was already thinking to switch to another game engine, but luckily I found the announcement and decided to wait. I can’t wait for the release or the beta phase.

I will mainly use it for making games on PC, but maybe I will use it to make games for phones and some apps(I hate GUI programming).

PS: It would be perfect if you could make it work on steamos too.

84. Henry Prasetya Kurniawan

July 3, 2015 at 12:29 am /

Glad to hear that. I though you Unity folks will make Linux Unity Editor in the next 2 or 3 years after I vote couple months ago. Not mean to be big headed, but yes I’m vote on that. :) And maybe all guys above me are voter too.
    But here we are, the Linux native Unity Editor has finally come (I mean in development) and I want to use it ASAP. When I’m on Ubuntu, I’ve tried Unity on wine, but the performance is horrible and there’s some issue with the AssetStore. From then I’m just keeping an eye for Unity and wait it to release for Linux. As for now I’m using Debian as my primary, and sometimes Centos and Arch. Today Linux are for testing platform while Windows and Mac are the Development platform when using AAA game engine. I want to roll that.
    I have a conclusion, is all item in AssetStore will compatible with Linux, or just some of them?

My interest in using Unity is making game (obviously :)) which is standalone and WebGL
    I’m going to export to Windows, Mac, and Linux (obviously)

85. Jordan Mellow

July 3, 2015 at 12:10 am /

Just wanted to thank you and the rest of the team for supporting the Linux community.
    It’s likely a small number of devs (comparatively) from the other platforms and the sentiment is much appreciated. Hopefully the additional support cost will be relatively low and will help draw more users to Linux :)

86. Vitor Silva

July 2, 2015 at 9:08 pm /

I would really use it, linux is my daily OS, been capable of working on Unity without needing to change the OS would be awesome! With surely I will buy the enterprise edition

87. Mike Kasprzak

July 2, 2015 at 8:34 pm /

Ha! I’m good friends with a lot of well known Unity users, and the running gag between us seems to be that I’m constantly running away from Unity. I switched to Linux over a year ago, and I always assumed that was that. But here you are again. Time and time again, every excuse I invent, you guys seem to eventually respond. One of my big ones was platform support “They don’t support all the consoles”, but then you eventually did. Then it was the 2D. And it just keeps happening. Damn you! :D

All I’ve got left in my avoidance repertoire is the C#. I’m a low level guy, me and my C/C++. I’ve worked on commercial games written entirely in Assembly, and written plenty of shaders. I can’t stand the black box of not knowing what’s going on under the hood. Combine that with a clumsy GC language like C#, and maybe you understand why it makes me uncomfortable.

But weirdly, I think JavaScript is fine. Somehow that became the language and the ‘assembly’ of the internet. C# feels like a stricter C++ with a GC to me (that’s bad). But JavaScript, I can do some weird stuff with it. I can define a global structure filled with values (i.e. JSON), and embed function code right in the structure. Despite all of JavaScripts flaws, I don’t think enough people grasp how useful and amazing combining data and code is. How it simplifies things in incredible ways. Games are data. What a waste of time it is writing specializations and initialization code, when all we really need to do is say the green ones jump higher, something we can say with a 6 instead of a 4.

Okay, rant over. :)

1. errexoj

July 2, 2015 at 11:36 pm /

Unity does not support/use Javascript as scripting language

2. Tomza

July 3, 2015 at 11:20 am /

You comment is somewhat chaotic and it’s hard to understand what you mean.

There has been some development in Unit programming language from Boo through UnityScript to C#. We know that the programming environment enforces some rules and standards. For example, I have never used MonoDevelop for developing under Unity 3D. It is too clumsy for me. I used, use and probably will use Notepad++. It is light and fast. As an experienced developer (over 10 years), I don’t need extra features that can be found in IDEs. They are even irritating. I know that MonoDevelop is a great tool, but not for me, and for sure not for developing with Unity.

However, regarding the Unity programming languages, it seems that using UnityScript makes no sense now. C# is so popular, easy, professional and versatile that should be enough for beginners and more advanced users. But I feel lack of C++. If you make something really big and complex, C++ should be your choice. Unity 5.x is software mature enough to use C++ instead of UnityScript. Even in Unity Technologies itself, there’s focus on C# and UnityScript seems neglected. As soon as you the Editor for Linux appears, you should do something with that. And I am not sure if you should support the 32-bit version of Unity. But you have stats and you know better. And of course, improve the terrain.

It’s work not for now, but for a longer time. I don’t know if other users agree with me, but for me these things should be considered by UT in the nearest future.

88. Santi

July 2, 2015 at 6:27 pm /

I love you. ;)

89. FyRàs DjaBoù

July 2, 2015 at 5:35 pm /

If you’ll release the linux version of unity editor, the editor will be perfect !
    I hope it’ll come fast because i can’t wait for it !! Thanks a lot for your work

90. Jack

July 2, 2015 at 12:30 pm /

Debian Wheezy — If you do. You got my $1,500.

1. Jack

July 2, 2015 at 12:34 pm /

Can we get a Linux master server too?

I would be my primary build platform (Debian Wheezy) export to Windows as well.

1. TheDiamondGames

July 8, 2015 at 6:42 am /

UNet doesn’t require master server! Old networking is obselete since 5.1!

2. Na'Tosha Bard

July 2, 2015 at 9:54 pm /

It should work on Debian Wheezy without problems. Can you describe what you mean by “MasterServer”? Are you using the new Networking system?

1. Juraj Fiala

July 3, 2015 at 10:32 pm /

Quick comment, sorry, I’m on my phone.

You can easily compile it yourself on Linux but you need to patch it a little first. Just search for it, a made a somewhat throughout answer on a question.

91. Treitler Matthias

July 2, 2015 at 11:49 am /

I am waiting for this so long. Must be amazing to get arcadia running on Linux!!!

92. John Weber

July 2, 2015 at 11:33 am /

Best POST of the week – found on golem.de – I will be in for Testing purposes – waited so long for this. !!! Unity3d was the last reason i run windows 8.1 in a VM!!! :D

93. Bravo_cr

July 2, 2015 at 11:04 am /

IMO the effort put to bring this up will be better spent in any other Unity feature or even bug fixing. Even if it’s the most voted feature this seems to be the typical Internet pool, where only the linux fans vote, because, well, what else will they vote?. Lets see what happens when its released and Unity starts keeping track of the use percentage between mac/windows/linux.

1. Tomza

July 2, 2015 at 12:12 pm /

What happens? The users who wish to install on Linux, will install on Linux, those who wish to install on Windows, will install on Windows and those who wish to install on Mac, will install on Mac. Nobody will die. Far from it; all will be happy and there won’t be the forum fights between Windows and Linux followers. Look at the screenshots – it’s really worth to see something like that.

2. koblavi

July 2, 2015 at 11:13 pm /

I see some commenters around here have really short term memory. Unity was born on OSX (A unix based operating system.) With the mission to democratise game development (i.e. giving every developer, regardless of what platform they developing on or platform they’re targeting, a fair chance at writing awesome games). In order to fulfil this (and to leverage a substantial op-port-unity :-P in the game dev market) Unity was ported Windows in version 2.5 (2008). Windows currently accounts for quite a number of Unity users (Don’t have the exact figure, but I know it’s pretty huge).

Fast forward to 2015, (after a ton of requests and petitions and possibly death threats), Unity follows through with this announcement and amidst all the excitement, some of you guys think it’s unnecessary? I imagine if this was 2007 and the announcement for the windows version had been made, it would have been met with some protest. I also Imagine that some of ye revolters present on this thread are windows users, who wouldn’t have been on this thread if some bad a$$es at Unity Tech did not port the engine over in spite of those protests.

Having developed on all three major operating systems I have an appreciation for all of the entrenchments and dogma that their respective fangirls and boys hold so dear to their hearts. People here who’d not touch any linux box with a 10 foot pole have some really ill informed positions about the OS. It’s a tall order and I would want to go into that now. But for what it’s worth, Linux is a fully qualified development environment. I dare say you’ll be hard-pressed to find an OS more suited for a pure, unadulterated software development experience.

So dear OSX and Windows and fangirls & boys, I understand your concern about what this means for bug-fixes and the rolling out of new features. But try to think of Unity not only as an awesome tool to bring your ideas into fruition, but also a mission to put that tool into the hands of every developer out there, regardless of what platform they develop on and what platform they develop for.

Koblavi
      – Started working with Unity on windows.
      – Had a full-time job which required me to develop on a linux box & had a personal linux workstation
      – Switched to MacOS for Unity development (Also as a middle ground between Windows & Linux. If Unity was on Linux, I probably wouldn’t have)

3. Lunarcloud

July 20, 2015 at 5:25 pm /

The road to porting and keeping active ports for many compilers / OSes is one that leads to better understanding of the underlying code, cleaner code, most likely case sensetive support for OSX (required for Linux), etc.
      The code is going to improve because of this port, and while yes, some time will be spent on this than on other things, it may end up preventing or cleaning up bugs to do it.

94. Jaco G

July 2, 2015 at 10:51 am /

I’m currently using Unity under wine/wine-mono on an Arch system and would love to run that 100% natively instead. I have not booted into Windows in ages, even though our game is on Windows/OSX/Linux.

What I’m looking forward to as much as the editor, is to set up Unity on a build server, perhaps along with our Steam/Humble/Itch deployment scripts.

95. Simon Gillespie

July 2, 2015 at 7:27 am /

This is a big step forward. great news.

96. Fei

July 2, 2015 at 3:53 am /

Those sweet font renderings on Unity’s interface.

I’m willing to switch to Linux just for that.

97. hermes david montes de oca segovia

July 2, 2015 at 2:22 am /

i was between use windows or leave unity 3d, in the meantime i decided to leave unity to keep using ubuntu as my main OS but i miss the power of unity but windows is not my thing lately

so this news are a relieve to think that i will be able to work fully on my preferred OS

i pretend to use unity for linux,windows and android which is what im currently doing with other technologies

1. Ubuntu User

July 28, 2015 at 10:30 pm /

Yes, Windows is horrible as a development platform.

98. rkido

July 2, 2015 at 2:14 am /

This is incredible! I’ll be able to match my build target (SteamOS) on my development machine. This is really going to streamline developing games for Steam Machines.

99. Tomza

July 2, 2015 at 1:36 am /

I read your comments: “Death for Windows”, “Remove Windows”, etc. Well, Bill Gates won’t be glad :). He thought he was the owner of the IT world and was able to force you to pay much for his products. But the monopoly is finished up.

100. koblavi

July 2, 2015 at 12:50 am /

This is great news. But I think I can see through it. I know Na’Tosha and friends had been working on porting the standalone player to linux. But guys at UT have always maintained that a Linux Editor was not quite feasible and the short and long term in spite of the number of votes it had on Feedback.
    Question is: Does the Unreal Editor Port to Linux have anything whatsoever to do with this announcement? :-D

1. Tomza

July 2, 2015 at 1:11 am /

A lot of. As soon as UE4 became free, many people started to be interested in this game engine. I myself started to use the Epic product because it uses C++. The Linux market is really huge though the stats say 2% only. However, Linux is very popular among developers, not just typical users that just buy computers with Windows and use them for the Internet only. Making the Editor for Linux is a very good and wise step for Unity 3D. Maybe some day big companies will wake up and see how many Linux developers exist in the world. The more big companies will be port their software to Linux, the better Linux itself will be.

2. Richard Fine

July 2, 2015 at 2:52 am /

Nope.

101. Massa

July 1, 2015 at 11:44 pm /

Linux is now the most popular OS for both server and end consumers (due Android, not Ubuntu). Android/Linux is having a new momentun for consumer.

I would probably switch for full Linux for my Unity development. But i totally can see studios using it as both server-side pipeline helpers and allowing some team members using Linux (artists on Mac, programmers on Linux and some on Windows).

Curiously, Microsoft is now in a huge campaing for cheap/free Windows…

102. Darkhog

July 1, 2015 at 10:52 pm /

No Linux, no fun. No windows, no problem.

Soon I will have one less problem to worry about.

103. Encelo

July 1, 2015 at 10:49 pm /

That’s great news! \o/

104. Corentin

July 1, 2015 at 10:48 pm /

Thank you so much.

Linux was my only OS until I decided to give Unity3d a try, that’s when I had to install Windows. I’d be really glad to get rid of it. So my use will be mostly exporting to Linux, windows and Android. If I have to switch to another platform for building, I can live with that. What I really want is a functionnal editor inside Linux.

105. Antwan

July 1, 2015 at 9:15 pm /

Do you seek alpha/beta testers for the Linux version? If so were can we contact you?

106. ameer

July 1, 2015 at 8:56 pm /

Finally☻☻

107. TemplateR

July 1, 2015 at 7:52 pm /

Which version of the Editor of Unity will be ported to Linux? Only Unity 5 (Pro and Free) or also Unity 4?

1. Darkhog

July 1, 2015 at 10:54 pm /

While I’m not from Unity Tech, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think most likely it’d be only 5.x series to be updated.

1. Tomza

July 2, 2015 at 1:13 am /

Its should be Unity 5.0. It’s a mature and professional tool. It makes no sense to use Unity 4.x.

2. ZJP

July 2, 2015 at 1:31 am /

64B editor. So, Unity 5.

3. Na'Tosha Bard

July 2, 2015 at 10:26 am /

Only the current version of 5.x (our internal fork is currently in sync with 5.1). Nothing older.

108. Odd Redesign

July 1, 2015 at 7:49 pm /

Thank you so much for this! Developing on Linux is a lot easier in general, having all the proper development tools and libraries at hand. Ubuntu is totally fine as you can install multiple Linux based distros on your PC easily and even if you don’t like the default look & feel – You can change everything to provide you with the fastest and personalized experience ever.

I guess I’ll be using unity for a long time if this happens. :)

109. Alex

July 1, 2015 at 7:41 pm /

AWESOME news. With the coming of Windows 10 I’m not willing to upgrade to that platform and will stick with Windows 7 for the time being. Unity coming for Linux would make me hop to that platform a lot more sense. I’m only wondering if the Linux version of Unity will be able to compile for Windows and Mac as well like the current Windows version can.

110. tincho

July 1, 2015 at 7:27 pm /

esto es realmente bueno.
    Unity está volviendo por el camino del que nunca debió salir!!!

111. Tux

July 1, 2015 at 6:48 pm /

“It will require modern, vendor-provided graphics drivers”
    What does this exactly mean? Will the open drivers also be supported when proper OpenGL 4.x support is ready for them? What about Intel (full open driver), or cards not anymore supported by AMD, Nvidia, where the open driver is the only way (and in some cases, is already better than their vendor-provided pairs when it was still present)?

1. Darkhog

July 1, 2015 at 7:31 pm /

I think it’s a code phrase for “You have to have nVidia GPU with official nVidia drivers from nvidiat(dot)com, *pkg(dot)run kind, not nouveau BS”

2. Aras Pranckevičius

July 1, 2015 at 7:45 pm /

I think it really means “we’ll test on the official drivers from each vendor” (as far as I understand, that is: closed binary drivers for NV/AMD, and the open source driver for Intel). If the open source NV/AMD drivers work, then great, but we’ll not be spending much/any time in trying to get them work.

1. TheDiamondGames

July 8, 2015 at 6:48 am /

Haha, opensource drivers work better on wine than nvidia’s proprietary drivers using unity3d (no window refreshing bugs)

2. Lunarcloud

July 20, 2015 at 5:30 pm /

Good, I was worried I was going to be stuck on Windows anyway because my NUC (NUC5i5RYH) only has integrated graphics.

3. Na'Tosha Bard

July 2, 2015 at 10:27 am /

Yes, what Aras said. :-)

1. Tux

July 2, 2015 at 10:56 am /

Thank you for the both of you. Good to see you guys are open for discussions and interacting with the community.

112. Manuel

July 1, 2015 at 6:43 pm /

Awesome!!!!

113. Robert

July 1, 2015 at 6:25 pm /

Thx very much for this notice and listen your community.

114. Raay Acedo

July 1, 2015 at 6:04 pm /

Yeaaaah!!! finally, as I can participate in the testing of the engine ? I have a Latin developers team work. I use unity in linux with wine.

Sorry for me english

115. Ilyes Hachani

July 1, 2015 at 5:59 pm /

Now I can switch from windows to Linux when I develop.
    Glad to see that unity listens to their community members.
    Way to go.

116. Nathan Warden

July 1, 2015 at 5:56 pm /

I use Linux as my main OS, so I’ll be using the editor to work on any client projects and exporting to whatever platform they require. Our internal projects are typically both standalone and mobile, so Linux, Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS. Having to VNC into my Mac Mini to build the iOS build is a minor inconveniece.

I’m definitely looking forward to this as it’s also the last piece of software for me that requires Mac or Windows. I do use it under Wine, but things like lightmap baking falls apart since it only works with the 32 bit build and runs out of memory on big scenes.

Thanks a ton for all your guys’ hard work even on non Linux stuff! And thanks Na’tosha and Levi for advocating for all of us Linux people :)

117. AwesomeX

July 1, 2015 at 5:55 pm /

While this is great and all, it’d be great if you Unity folks could focus on something more important like Terrain, which is a joke nowadays.. Really, it’s garbage :(

1. Tomza

July 2, 2015 at 1:18 am /

I agree, the terrain should be improved. My customers didn’t like the terrain I made with Unity.

2. Lunarcloud

July 20, 2015 at 5:32 pm /

More important to you.
      Lobby for your desired features without harshing on what’s important to others.

118. Amelia

July 1, 2015 at 5:50 pm /

This is great to hear! I have a crappy tablet with broken proprietary drivers for Windows and OS X, and it only really works on Linux with the open-source drivers, so I use Krita and Blender on Linux exclusively- glad to hear I won’t need to dual boot to use Unity! More power to y’all :)

119. Francesco Miglietta

July 1, 2015 at 5:25 pm /

This is by far the GREATEST news we got this year!

I develop in Unity for Android and iOS platforms, using the GPG addon.
    Will Google Play Games plugin be supported as well in the linux editor?

Can you check this Natosha?

Thank you Unity team!

120. Juan Sebastian

July 1, 2015 at 5:18 pm /

guys <3,

cant wait to get out of OSX with my outdated OpenGL drivers and overpriced hardware! Looking forward for this! :D

121. sami

July 1, 2015 at 5:17 pm /

finally finally! now i can completely change my OS from windows to linux!!!

122. pracalic

July 1, 2015 at 5:05 pm /

If unity will work properly on linux I change fo it my windows os :).

123. Muhammad Ridowan

July 1, 2015 at 4:55 pm /

Waiting for it. Many of my friends recommended unity but I can’t tolerate windows more than 5 min, developing in it is very far. Hopefully I can try unity very soon.

124. Abscissa

July 1, 2015 at 4:52 pm /

(From the linked article:)
    >Installer will (most likely – it’s one of the things we didn’t do yet) just be a .deb package.

Please keep it that way! We Linux users LIKE our package managers. And in the Linux world, installers are a clunky pain that smack of hasty porting by windows developers who don’t (care to) understand linux.

1. Na'Tosha Bard

July 1, 2015 at 5:32 pm /

To be clear, we are considering also building a platform-agnostic installer for ‘unsupported’ distributions, in addition to the .deb package. But the .deb package will always be the default.

1. alonso

July 1, 2015 at 5:44 pm /

Good!!!

2. Fabio Rosa

July 1, 2015 at 7:14 pm /

I can suggest Mojo installer, from Ryan Gordon (icculus – http://icculus.org/) as a good general installer to use (in addition to the deb installer)

3. Darkhog

July 1, 2015 at 7:36 pm /

I’d prefer for unsupported distros just a tarball with binaries, so I can install it even if I’m not root (just unpack it somewhere under home folder)

1. RevenantX

July 2, 2015 at 11:57 am /

2. pqftgs

July 2, 2015 at 7:52 pm /

This 100x

4. Tom

July 1, 2015 at 10:04 pm /

I hope someone will pick this up and put it into the opensuse build service, this https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Build_Service and that https://build.opensuse.org/

Then it could be available for all distros in one place :)

125. Bryan

July 1, 2015 at 4:46 pm /

What a complete waste of time! Clearly, nobody in unity management knows how to say NO. The editor still sucks in many ways and y’all are farting around with Linux instead. And for all you useless Linux fanboys out there, GET A REAL OS!

1. Sean

July 1, 2015 at 4:55 pm /

Why don’t you tell everyone how you really feel?
      Seriously. A little hate filled, aren’t you? Not sure how you can see this as a bad thing, and no, the editor does not suck. Does it have limits? Sure. It always will. That doesn’t mean it sucks.
      You are also free to use another.

2. Francesco Miglietta

July 1, 2015 at 5:35 pm /

Bryan I guess what you are not clearly seeing here it is also the long term plan of having a Unity editor working on a Linux Kernel environment.

I think the team behind Unity have a long term vision when it comes to cross-platform compatibility, and you know Linux Kernel it’s.. quite used ..nowadays, do not just think about Linux OS ;).

3. Linus

July 1, 2015 at 7:40 pm /

No, YOU get proper OS, windiot.

4. Corentin

July 1, 2015 at 10:54 pm /

I think everyone here uses Unity3d, so we all had to install what you call a “real OS”, we all wereforced to use it… And yet, many people want to use linux instead… Call it what you want, it’s still the best OS for many of us, and I’ll be really happy to uninstall windows when Unity3d is compatible.

1. TheDiamondGames

July 8, 2015 at 6:52 am /

Unity3D (5.0.x, not 5.1) works almost flawlessly on linux already. If you don’t need to build on android/ios then it will be fine for you

5. Tomza

July 2, 2015 at 1:25 am /

“Linux fanboys” pressure has made much good for you and you don’t even know that. You have you beloved Windows cheaper (and now even the upgrade for free for OS) and some Microsoft technologies are or will be for free. The IT world is changing because of Open Source. But you are probably too blind to see that.

Have a nice day with your beloved Windows.

126. Andrés

July 1, 2015 at 4:36 pm /

Thank you!!! I can’t wait to use unity on my linux pc… :D

127. Abscissa

July 1, 2015 at 4:36 pm /

Finally!

I’ve been using Unity3d under wine simply because, even after having been a huge windows user since 3.1, I can no longer tolerate “new” Windows (ie, from Vista up though and including 10). But Unity3D under wine, while workable, has always had some issues, and setup has been an obscure pain, so I’m thrilled to be able to use it natively under Linux.

I don’t use Ubuntu of course (Debian testing + KDE, with an eye on Arch – Ubuntu/GTK/Nautilus are all waaay too mac-like for my tastes), but hey, if it runs on Ubuntu, it should run on other Linux fine, better than wine, so I’m good :)

If it were possible to make this generate and submit WinRT builds (doubtful, but understandably so), I’d even be able to get rid of my space-wasting Win8 partition!

I bet you’ll see this alone put a small dent in Windows market share ;) A lot of developers have been wanting to switch from Win->Lin, but feel they can’t, simply because of the lack of tools like Unity3d.

128. Gabriel Roque

July 1, 2015 at 4:36 pm /

Oh My God!!!
    Removing windows from notebook…. hahaha
    SahPorra me fez chorar…

129. John

July 1, 2015 at 4:31 pm /

Thank you so much for your efforts with linux!

130. Joshua

July 1, 2015 at 4:06 pm /

The irony of seeing the Unity editor in the Unity window manager. :p

1. Darkhog

July 1, 2015 at 7:44 pm /

Well, that means we’ll finally achieve true Unity!

131. Nelson

July 1, 2015 at 4:01 pm /

I’m really looking forward to this port! I have a couple of friends of mine who said that the main reason they are not developing in Unity alongside me is because they can’t do it on Linux (Ubuntu more specifically).
    Now, I’m hoping that the integration with Blender remains transparent to us all, right? Since Blender is already on Linux.

Cheers! And keep up the great job guys!!

132. DaVince

July 1, 2015 at 3:54 pm /

I’ve been on Linux for most of my time, and although I’ve been wanting to try out Unity several times I was always disappointed to know that I couldn’t get a good development experience on Linux. So this is excellent news for me. :)

133. Lief

July 1, 2015 at 3:46 pm /

This is really great.
    I hate software mono-platform, I want to choose to change from time to time without feeling tied to a platform.
    I started using Unity3d on Windows, now I’m on mac, linux but I used a lot and if there was one thing that restrained me to use it seriously was the lack of Unity3d.
    At last I can choose when I want to switch to Linux.

I chose Unity3d because of its multi-platform support, no other graphics engine supports exporting to so many platforms … and the fact that it has made it possible for everyone (even those who do not could afford) to start developing video games (you were the first to give your editor for free).
    The fact that the editor has finally support a multi-platform full is very positive.

Thank you again.

134. demonixis

July 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm /

It’s a very good news thank you! I plan to use it on a Kubuntu system and to export on Android, Desktop and WebGL. Windows will be required to export and build for Windows Store/Phone, but a lot of work can be done on Linux.

The Windows port is good, but it’s pretty hard to debug a game on Linux. With a Linux editor, it’ll be easier to debug and bring quality game to this platform.

135. Goudurix

July 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm /

Really really great news! I can’t wait to finally say goodbye to windows. Thank you so much!

136. alonso

July 1, 2015 at 3:41 pm /

Al fin, una de las razones por las cuales uso Windows es Unity 3D. esperó que esto pase pronto para tener todas mis herramientas de desarrollo en Linux, junto con Pycharm.

Yo pretendo exportar a Android y Steam.

137. Ricardo Letonai

July 1, 2015 at 3:33 pm /

YEahhhhh finally… Thx…
    Going for Android, Standalone and WebPlayer…

138. Sean Halloran

July 1, 2015 at 3:31 pm /

This looks awesome! Seriously makes me consider switching to Linux more, however, Oculus support on Windows will probably keep me from switching for now.

1. dhiru1602

July 1, 2015 at 10:51 pm /

139. Matt Kay

July 1, 2015 at 3:27 pm /

Another step closer to removing Windows from my PC. This is excellent news, thanks very much!

140. Rafael

July 1, 2015 at 3:19 pm /

Thanks for this Unity team!

141. Ben

July 1, 2015 at 3:14 pm /

I deal with targeting standalone, WebGL, iOS, and Android platforms and my team makes heavy use of continuous integration with Jenkins (we’ll hopefully be looking at Unity Cloud Build in the near future :)). Our CI build machines are a mix of OS X servers and Windows VMs but it would be awesome if we could employ our Linux servers as well!

142. Baadaa

July 1, 2015 at 3:07 pm /

Finally no more Linux in the VM. Unity3D is the last Windows tool I am still using.

143. chad

July 1, 2015 at 2:58 pm /

maya support linux
    blender support liunx
    that software that support phote editing and creating texure support linux
    steam os will be on the rise as developer can use steam os for game develment
    unity 5 will soon support linux so soon the death of windows will come

1. Darkhog

July 1, 2015 at 7:49 pm /

Slow, painful death… Mmmm, just how I like it.

144. Sebastian Vargas

July 1, 2015 at 2:50 pm /

Great work!

We are going to use it on android for 2D games and linux standalone for advergames.
    We were waiting for the linux editor is a really great advantage reducing the development cost here in Colombia

Best,

145. Massimiliano

July 1, 2015 at 2:46 pm /

Finally i will be able to remove my win partition! Thanks guys, hope to see your linux’s editor very soon! (It would be possible apply as alpha / beta tester?)

146. CrossInventor

July 1, 2015 at 2:41 pm /

Whaat?

Can’t believe it! My dreams r coming true! Thumbs up!

So finally I can ban win from my pc ’cause Unity was the only reason for holding it…

Thx so much!

147. vulgerstal

July 1, 2015 at 2:39 pm /

Another portion of awesome news!
    Finally We won’t need to Install Wine and fix random errors like missing fonts and etc.!
    I’m using Ubuntu x64 on MicroSD and for me this small article is like a ray in the cloudy sky.
    Making Unity for Linux will make it available for people who can’t afford commercial OS, like students and people from poor regions. Also It will make it portable.
    Thanks, Na’Tosha and Unity T.!

I’m interested in following platforms: Standalone, WebGL.
    I’m interested in testing of an experimental build!

148. RevenantX

July 1, 2015 at 2:37 pm /

Wohoo! removing windows from notebook…

149. Mash

July 1, 2015 at 2:28 pm /

This is the news of the week! THUMB UP GUYS! \o/

150. TemplateR

July 1, 2015 at 2:23 pm /

I´m assuming, that the Editor of Unity 5 will be ported to Linux, right?

151. Scnoobi

July 1, 2015 at 2:20 pm /

Where can we get the unity-chan scene? it looks great.

1. Levi Bard

July 1, 2015 at 2:24 pm /

152. Dusko Pejacki - phime studio

July 1, 2015 at 2:20 pm /

Gooo Na’Tosha gooo! Thumbs up for the Linux port effort :)

153. Nuno Donato

July 1, 2015 at 2:18 pm /

Bring it on :D I can’t wait to test. Will there be a specific place where us linux-folks can report stuff back to you?

1. Na'Tosha Bard

July 1, 2015 at 5:30 pm /

We’ll probably have a dedicated feedback area on the forums once the experimental build ships.

154. Ben Rolfe

July 1, 2015 at 2:05 pm /

YES! Unity is the only reason I’m currently using Windows as my main environment. Sign me up!!!