Valve Brings SteamVR to the Unity Platform

February 10, 2016 in Events, Technology

Today, during the opening keynote of the inaugural Vision VR / AR Summit, Valve and Unity Technologies announced a new collaboration to offer native support for SteamVR in the Unity Platform, giving developers new reach at no extra cost. Additionally, we will be adding a new VR rendering plugin to further enhance functionality.

The collaboration means that all of Unity’s developers will have access to native support for Valve’s upcoming SteamVR platform. Beyond SteamVR support, Valve has developed an advanced rendering plugin for Unity to further enhance fidelity and performance, bringing consumers more realistic experiences.

Valve co-founder Gabe Newell announced the news during a special video address at the Vision Summit, adding: We made many of our Vive demos using Unity, and continue to use it today in VR development. Through that process, and in working with VR developers, we found some opportunities to make Unity even more robust and powerful for us and really want to share those benefits with all VR content creators.”

Unity CEO John Riccitiello went on to discuss the news during the Vision Summit opening keynote: “Valve and Unity are both dedicated to creating the highest quality VR experiences possible. That means giving developers every possible chance to succeed, and our collaboration with Valve is designed to do just that.”

Valve will also be providing a talk at Vision, and to celebrate the launch, they are surprising every developer at the conference with a free HTC Vive Pre, the latest SteamVR development system. For more information, please visit  http://visionsummit2016.com/

1. nba 2k16 mt now

April 7, 2016 at 4:41 am /

thank a lot for your web site it helps a whole lot.|
    nba 2k16 mt now http://www.gamesystem.pl/forumgs/viewtopic.php?p=2887#2887

2. friendzone in anime

March 20, 2016 at 1:52 pm /

Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful post. Thanks for providing these details.|

3. Cristian Moras

February 18, 2016 at 8:07 pm /

Hello everyone,
    has anyone received an email yet regarding how they are going to get their vive? Are people that attended the summit but did not qualify as a developer at least going to receive an email letting them know?

1. Cris

February 18, 2016 at 9:02 pm /

I have just received the email, thank you guys. :)

4. Shawtel

February 13, 2016 at 11:20 am /

What is that

5. Tayo

February 12, 2016 at 9:09 am /

6. Tayo

February 12, 2016 at 9:08 am /

Gabe said in the announcement that all developers will get a vive. I’m a developer who attended vision, but I’m a hobbiest developer who wants to become a real developer. Do I still apply for that? How do they judge “Developer”?

7. Gökhan

February 11, 2016 at 10:08 am /

Really good news guys.Thanks for everyone

8. jdmulti

February 11, 2016 at 8:45 am /

Awesome news, even more because I found this goody in my mail recently and can’t wait. Now Unity is going to support it out of the box. =D

9. devotid

February 11, 2016 at 6:12 am /

Fantastic news!

I have done mucho testing with a Oculus DK2 and am very excited to add it to my current Steam title. http://store.steampowered.com/app/381750/

I have been kind of “waiting” for a unit to officially support.

To Vulgerstal: Yes, I have a Steam Controller and it works fantastically with Unity. The track pads and the tactile feedback is worth the money. It truly allows you to “game on a PC” from the couch.

10. Bob

February 10, 2016 at 11:48 pm /

I wonder if these changes also affect general, non-VR performance? I suppose we may hear more about it later tonight at the “Using Unity at Valve” talk

11. Jashan Chittesh

February 10, 2016 at 11:32 pm /

This is by far the greatest news regarding Unity and VR so far. Lovely! Can’t wait to get my hands on it!

12. vulgerstal

February 10, 2016 at 9:26 pm /

Good News.
    By the way . . . Has anyone tried to set Steam Controller in Unity already?