Search Unity

And the preview videos keep rolling in! We’re running a little behind on the Beast lightmapping video, but until then take a look at some of the new Cloth Physics features in Unity 3. Will Goldstone is back giving us a brief tour of just a few of the things you can do with Cloth such as Tearing, Self-Collisions, Pressure, and Soft Bodies.

[vimeo clip_id=”13294411″ width=”640″ height=”360″]

1. Seriously how is this demo not available to download? I cannot think of a better way of users understanding how the cloth physics work in Unity than by letting them play around inside these scenes.

2. Please provide a download with the sources for the examples to play around with it!

3. Can we have the demo os we can play it?
    Thank you!

4. Will cloth be available for iPhone publishing?

5. Any status update for the skinned cloth video ? I am about to explode.

6. @Joe
    Thanks! That’s great to hear. I look forward to it.

7. @Zomby138 yep, working on it ;)

8. Will there be a video for the skinned mesh cloth ? I can’t get it working for the life of me. I could really use some help.

9. Unity just keeps getting better and better,
    Great work guys.
    Do you have plans to add ocean editor ?

10. Thanks for your reply Jonas.

11. Marielle Abbortini

July 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm

So cloth will not have hardware acceleration yet,I understand.

I know about PhysX about Nvidia GPUs (I have a GTX 260).

But what about the other PhysX features like rigid bodies etc,…
    Will that already have hardware acceleration in Unity 3D 3.0 ?

12. jonas echterhoff

July 15, 2010 at 10:13 am

@Jason: We will not support hardware acceleration for cloth for 3.0, that will probably be added in 3.x – However, even then, you won’t be able to rely on it being there, as PhysX only does HW acceleration on NVidia GPUs, and not on the Mac. That said, we have a special cloth component for skinning characters, which is multi-threaded, and extremely fast, even on non-accelerated hardware.

13. Marielle Abbortini

July 15, 2010 at 6:51 am

When will the Beast lightmapping video be ready ?

14. The cloth’s and balls’ shadow actually looked pretty good!!! Did anyone else pay attention to that?

15. I’m still waiting for a quantum physics engine.

16. Steve Cardwell

July 14, 2010 at 9:07 pm

This looks great.

Can we have some physics for aerodynamics as well please?

17. Marielle Abbortini

July 14, 2010 at 6:24 pm

You guys said above:

“We’re running a little behind on the Beast lightmapping video”.

Well then,hurry up with it then. I can’t wait to see it.

18. This is hot. And Unity makes this accessible for mere mortals! You guys rock!

19. Will the cloth physics support hardware acceleration ?

20. …And you wonder if there will be enough new features to roll out with unity 4? They Just enjoy spoiling us with all this cool stuff.

@pixnlove Unity is an engine made in heaven, Nothin comes close!

Coth is Awesome, Unity is Awesomer, you Guys are Awesomest!!

21. Excelent work!

22. You’re doing cloth? Properly moving, tearing, physics-based cloth?

That’s ridiculously cool, Pro feature or not!

23. That is simply outrageous, I can’t wait to get some free time to play :D :D

24. Come on guy you have got to stop this,
    this is getting ridiculous.
    This is too Awesome!
    I do not believe it!!!

Can anyone tell an engine which now better than Unity 3?

25. Barnaby Smith

July 13, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Nice work guys, great to see this sort of progress

26. Will this be a Unity Pro only feature?

27. incredible!

28. Looks amazing!

29. I’ve been slacking on my unity work, I really need to get back to it.

30. :) cool…

31. Mathias Røyrvik

July 13, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Fantastic! Can’t wait to have some fun with this =)

And red “seigmenn” are so the best.

32. great feature! looking forward to the day this will work on mobiles(iPhone/Android). Great for desktops for now though. Thanks Unity Team!

33. Danilo Nishimura