Search Unity

So we are finally ready to unveil the second set of pro standard assets, this time we have some awesome new image effects.

Our shader ninja has been hard at work, forging a great new set of effects with a host of exposed settings to allow full customization of your Unity project.

In the scene we have a bunch of awesome new and upgraded effects including:

Vignetting
Depth Of Field (Bokeh)
Bloom And Flares
Sun Shafts

Anyway, enough talk… lets see what you will receive in the 3.2 update!

Love,
The Demo Team

58 Comments

1. Though i’m new to Unity 3D, but it really make me get into the Unity 3D, it’s gonna benefit my trail in unity a lot.

2. Tessa Steynhoff

February 5, 2011 at 4:13 am

I am sorry,I meant it the other way around.
    What I meant to say was: “It would be nice to see these type of this back in Unity3D”.

3. Tessa Steynhoff

February 4, 2011 at 7:54 pm

@Brian Janord

Yes,the InteractiveFoliageActor would be nice in Unity3D too,just like in the UDK. I recently switched my project from UDK to Unity3D.
    But some of the “better” features that UDK has,are not found in Unity3D.
    It would be nice to see these type of things back in the UDK.

4. I would love to see a visual scripting system in Unity.
    In fact it’s my most wanted feature and had been implemented by some third parties already, making it build in would make unity so much easier to work with for artist that can code some but not a whole game script from scratch.
    Thanks!

5. @Loken,
    Theirs some big differences between a magic MMO build button and a visual scripting system. One is just impossible, the other is really a must have tool for designers and artists.

There’s a lots of fragmentation regarding those tools. Too much third parties pathfinding solutions, too much people creating visual scripting tools.
    Providing those solutions build in Unity, doesn’t mean “click on a magic button and Unity will build your game”! Unity wont create your game with/without those tools. You still have to script your game mechanics somehow (visually or by code) and your AI entities will take advantage of the provided pathfinding system.

6. Also in the ‘function over wizbang’ camp. The 2d system, (not just SM2 clone), and fixes fixes fixes. Wizbang is awesome, but I had to divert an upcoming project away from our UT Pro w/iPhone simply because of the lack of a modern support for 2D sprites/animation. Something like this (http://www.spritedeck.com/), would make UT3 ‘thee’ go to platform for 2d gaming… that’s some serious wizbang.

7. “It’s an optimized UI framework that focuses on running fast on mobile devices and being accessable to designers.

It is a system where you create the UI completely inside of Unity with tools built into Unity to create the UI.”

So…. is this something that might be coming in 3.2, or something that is coming later? Just want to know how to handle this chapter than I’m writing now :)

8. @Aras Pranckevičius
    Nice !

9. Nathali Abbortini

February 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Ow c’mon guys,I am sure that the people from Unity are working hard on new things.Do not rush them to much.

10. @Brian Janord
    Now that you have brought that up,I think so too.

11. @Brian Janord
    Yes,that would be a very nice add-on for Unity too.

12. When will Unity3D also have something like the “InteractiveFoliageActor”,like the one seen in the Unreal Development Kit ?

13. It’s really awesome all the stuff Unity throws in for developers to use, and even more so that most of it is available in the free version.

Quit complaining there’s no path finding or kismet or instant MMO button. Most of that functionality is available via 3rd parties, and you can certainly implement it yourself. Don’t expect UT to write all of your game for you. It’s a game engine, not a game making engine.

@Joachim and Aras, as well as everyone else at UT – you guys rock. Really looking forward to 3.2 and all future updates.

14. Really good stuff coming for Unity.
    Seriously, I’ve been working with lots of in-house and commercial engines and Unity can easily kick their as*es by miles.
    I think that Unity is working through the good path. Catching up with heavyweights engines like Unreal and the others.
    Epic and Crytek have good tech but they are really scared of Unity getting more and more features, rendering power and more users!

To the guy working on those lovely shaders, someone pointed out about volumetric lights for spot/point lights, what do you think adding those for your next set of effects? :D
    Cheers,
    Keep working hard guys!

15. @Joachim Ante

Thanks for all of that. I stand corrected!

16. I hope very soon.

17. @Joachim Ante said:
    “There will be more releases coming after 3.2 very shortly that adress GUI, Pathfinding and have a ton more awesome stuff. We’ll talk about those on the blog soon.”

How soon ?

18. It’s an optimized UI framework that focuses on running fast on mobile devices and being accessable to designers.

The pathfinding is a NavMesh based system.

Anyway, we’ll talk about details on this later. This blog post was actually about 3.2 so lets keep it at that.

19. Cool.
    Nice to hear that they are working on pathfinding.
    And will it be the traditional A* pathfinding(path-nodes) system or the more newer,faster,optimized NavMesh method ?

20. @Joachim Ante
    About the “new” UI framework,is it some kind of flash based UI system like ScaleForm (or better and more optimized than ScaleForm)?
    And the pathfinding system that is being developed,is it based on Kynapse AI or something else ?

21. Aras Pranckevičius

February 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm

@Tessel: for Unity 3.2, we’re working hard on fixing the very last issues that we consider “ship stoppers”. In other words, 3.2 should be out really soon.

22. @Joachim Ante
    You said that you guys are working on a new UI framework and pathfinding.
    Have you guys “just” started to work on it or was it in development for some time now ?

When do you think that Unity 3.2 will be ready ?

23. We have different people working on different tasks. We have 2 guys working on a new UI framework. We have one guy working on a pathfinding library and much much much more. Since we have multiple people working on the Unity code base at the same time, we also ship different features at different times. Essentially we ship it when feature is complete and tested. Some features take longer to implement, other features like Ole’s awesome image effects have been tweaked and worked on over the last half year, and in 3.2 they were ready to be shipped.

3.2 is primarily a bug fix and performance optimization release. We also packed some graphics goodies, like the image effects / water shaders / mobile shader pack in there.

24. Not to be a negative nancy, but, at least in my opinion, Unity should be focusing ALL of its manpower on much more important things other than a pretty Bokeh filter and post image processing…The Unity 3 already update brought numerous graphics improvements that should sate our eye-candy cravings for some time.

Of course there are always improvements you can make, but they work very well at the moment. Things that don’t work very well at the moment, such as the atrocious GUI and non-existant pathfinding (seriously, how doesn’t a game engine have SOME sort of pathfinding built in? Calling that steercontroller pathfinding is like calling a bicycle a motorcycle — you have the most BASIC similarities, but in the end they’re not the same) should get all the attention. That’s my opinion, though.

To me, it seems like Unity is trying to catch up to UDK in terms of graphics, but at the end of the day, indie developers (majority of the Unity community) want to be able to do the basics without much of a hassle (making a functional GUI/implementing pathfinding without tearing your hair out.) I think Unity is trying to catch the eye of a lot of big name developers, which certainly isn’t a bad thing. I just don’t understand why they are updating already working non-essential components, when in fact there are missing essential components (pathfinding) or horribly implemented essential components (GUI).

All that being said, this looks very good. I’m just confused as to why it was updated. Look @ http://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/15792-unity and tell me if you see the community complaining about DOF. Sure, these updates (and any updates are welcome). I was just expecting to see this updated after more important things were tackled…

25. @Brian Janord
    I totally agree.

26. Uuuhhh,uhuh….
    Now throw into Unity3D some good Kismet technology and Matinee technology and good NavMesh pathfinding and destructible geometry technology and then,and only then you can call Unity3D a truly awesome game engine.

27. Wow, wow, wow…..

Awesome ambience, bravo to the Demo Team, this is lovely !

And awesome effects too ! They look absolutely delightful !

Great work guys !

28. When can I download Unity3D 3.2 ?

29. @Aras: thanks for the clarification

30. @Tunturuntu
    Very well said.

31. Awesome,
    Point lights and spot lights shaft (volumetric light) would be a great addition into unity effects! Lets kick others engines asses please!

32. Aras Pranckevičius

January 29, 2011 at 12:33 pm

@testlog: all this image effects + water upgrade was done by… about one person (round of applause to Ole). It’s not like the entire company only works on upgrading image effects for Unity 3.2, a lot of others are working on other areas.

33. When will 3.2 be ready ?

34. @Jason Amstrad
    Vote on feature requests at feedback.unity3d.com if you want someone to do something about it, your comments here only pollute the chat with unnecessary things.

Awesome effects, can’t wait to see more coming in Unity 3.2!

35. Nathali Abbortini

January 29, 2011 at 6:05 am

@Jason Amstrad
    Exactly !

36. @Alexander Pavlovsky
    Then how the heck am I supposed to do pathfinding in Unity ?!

37. @testlog
    Then what is wrong with the GUI library ?

38. Fix the GUI library please! And proper merging of scene/prefab files with version control! The graphical effects can wait! Somebody please think of the developers!

39. Awesome! I’m working on something that will be more art piece than game, and you guys keep adding goodies to the toolbox causing “scope creep” :) Thanks for the hard work! Now, release it already! lol

40. Alexander Pavlovsky

January 28, 2011 at 8:46 am

You guys never seize to amaze us.

@ Jason
    Come on man…they do all this and you nag about path finding?

41. Wow, that Bokeh looks awesome, you should be proud.

42. I have to admit that this is all great and all,but remember that Unity3D does not yet have support for fog-volumes.
    When will Unity3D support fog-volumes ?
    And also some very good solid path-finding system (for example Kynapse AI) ?
    And destructible geometry ?

43. Wow that looks freaking gorgeous. I can’t wait to get my hands on that.

These new standard assets are turning out wonderful.

44. But how is that possible!?
    Unity3 game engine look more and more like a renderer,
    The quality is outstanding.
    Awesome work.

45. mmmmm do I see volumetrics there?

46. Christina Coffin

January 27, 2011 at 10:42 am

Nice Bokeh effect, can’t wait to experiment with it!

47. Awesome demo guys! reminds me of..

truly terrifying movie, watch it!

48. Awesome!! Nice work guys ;)

49. Jeremy Anderson

January 27, 2011 at 9:16 am

Absolutely stunning. Wish I could scrape together the money for pro…gotta finish my project and then argue for the upgrade before release.

50. I was wondering, how did you capture the video of the demo?

51. Wonderful demo, lovely!

52. p.s.
    Thanks for the unite 10 presentations!

53. I don’t expect anything other than amazing from you guys, but you still manage to surprise me :)
    Great Work!

54. Looks gorrrrgeous!

55. Great life to Unity

56. Looks great, I especially like the Bokeh!