Search Unity

Lucas has added a really nice, simple improvement, check out the video to see how it works:

21 Comments

1. George Katsaros

April 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Simple. Clean. Perfect.

2. Wow, excellent, I remember us talking about this in class last year Cam, cool to see you actually made it a reality by proxy =]

3. Same result for less clicks (no clicks!?). Awesome.

4. Here are a couple no-brainers in my book:
    1. Editing the full prefab hierarchy in the Project exactly as you can the prefab instance in the Hierarchy view. Basically a 1:1 relationship between prefabs in the Project and Hierarchy view. Makes much more sense to edit a prefab “base” in the Project which then propagates to instances in the scene. Having to instantiate a prefab to edit the base is really backwards, IMO.

2. Nested Prefabs. Dear lord, nested prefabs.

5. Another simple idea but a really nice improvement!

6. Is this the sort of thing that users can implement too?
    If so, a video tutorial of how you did it would be really nice.

7. simple and efficient!! Greaaaat!

8. That’s really cool! I can’t wait to check it out!

9. Excellent, productivity++

10. That looks really handy. It would also be nice if, when you dragged an script into the scene or the hierarchy, it would create an empty game object with that script attached.

11. Adams Immersive

March 25, 2011 at 11:28 am

Very nice. Even better than how Flash handles this :) (Not saying a whole lot, necessarily.)

12. Really nice! I hate creating those empty prefabs.

13. really nice touch, small things like this make a huge difference!

14. Cameron Bonde (Vectrex)

March 25, 2011 at 7:32 am

I also notice the ‘Gizmo setup’ tab ;) That’s one of my big annoyances, so here’s hoping for more dynamic view options for gizmos.

15. Jashan Chittesh

March 25, 2011 at 6:58 am

Thx to Cameron for the great idea – and thanks to Lucas for the implementation. It’s the “small and simple things” that I think really make the great difference when working with Unity. Awesome!!!

16. Christopher von Bronsart

March 25, 2011 at 6:06 am

kewl! god is in the details: does it work with multiple items?

17. That is actually a really great idea, making prefabs was always kind of clunky.

18. Very nice!

19. Cameron Bonde (Vectrex)

March 25, 2011 at 5:47 am

btw, here is the post. I add to it now and then. Comments/improvements welcome

20. Cameron Bonde (Vectrex)

March 25, 2011 at 5:42 am

Haha, wow, I never thought anyone read my massive lists. Thanks, that will definitely be a big time saver for me.

ps Oh don’t you worry, I’ve got lots more to add since then ;)