Search Unity

Today, at our GDC Education Breakfast, we introduced new education R&D initiatives and launched a grant program for secondary schools that will dramatically help teachers secure approvals, implement and deliver interactive application and game development courses. The new program will include no-charge educational licenses with all the features and power of the Unity 5 engine and editor; a 40 page Professional Skill Standard cross-referenced to academic standards like Common Core, Next Gen Science Standards, 21st Century Skills and STEM clusters; and a 200+ page Curricular Framework that covers the entire professional pipeline from design and development, through deployment.

With this innovative new program, we are committed to removing barriers for secondary institutions and supporting teachers to realize high quality outcomes in the classroom. While students are fascinated and excited with art, design and technology; educators will appreciate Unity as a vehicle for delivering important academic material like physics, math and programming logic in an engaging, multi-disciplinary, team-based, project learning environment.

Mike Preble, Instructor at United Technologies Center in Bangor, Maine commented, “I have seen the value of teaching Unity in my classroom.  It has increased the level of engagement and interest in every student that walks through my door.  The day I received Unity’s curriculum framework and skills standard, a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders and I could do what I love: teach.  My work became validated and my students gained the ability to be learn comprehensively at a faster pace.  The standards-based Curricular Framework provides a base of knowledge and understanding that is unprecedented in my world, which is incredibly valuable in every sense of the word.”

Tim Lawrence, Executive Director at SkillsUSA and Delegate to WorldSkills added, “Unity’s work in the area of curriculum development and instructor resources will enhance student learning and achievement both nationally and globally. Perhaps the most exciting part of Unity’s work is the alignment with academic standards.”

Of course, post-secondary educators and institutions are welcome to the Professional Skills Standard and Curricular Framework. Based on feedback from many of you, we are confident you will find them valuable too. Through this initiative, our ultimate goal is to generate more excitement with younger students, driving them to pursue programs at the post-secondary level and into rewarding careers.

Along with the announcement earlier this week of the Unity 5 Personal Edition, individual students, faculty and staff now have easy and open access to Unity for their personal computers, and a seamless workflow with educational licenses in their school labs and classrooms.  Given our commitment to investing in educational communities, this is only the beginning.  Watch for more exciting announcements from Unity in 2015.

The program and both foundational documents were showcased this morning and are immediately available.  For your no-charge electronic copy of the Professional Skills Standard, the Curricular Framework or to request a secondary school software grant, please contact us.

34 Comments

1. Because of the level of technology included within the handset, the popularity of the Google
    Nexus S looks assured. This refers to a major search algorithm update
    which significantly affected the local SEO world. Sponsored
    links were the first changes that were brought to the search suggest feature, but
    now there are more major updates that have sharpened the Google tool.

2. it is a great step to educate people about gaming.

3. I fully respect this move and we have been using your engine to deliver this knowledge to much younger children that you aim at here.

We would welcome the opportunity to refactor your educational materials to a more EYFS and beyond stage of learning. (They love Allegorithmics tools for example)
    Details of our current educational licenses are on record. :)
    Smart move.
    Thanks

4. Mykolas Mankevicius

March 18, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Hey I’ve contacted the guys (I’m not a student, but a self learner) and I’m yet to receive any e-mail.
    I though you guys don’t mind giving this learning material to normal people?
    I understand if you don’t it’s fine.

1. Michael Edmonds

March 18, 2015 at 6:05 pm

The Professional Skills Standard and Curricular Framework were designed for teachers and professors to facilitate course development and delivery. They were not designed for personal learning. We have personal learning materials at http://www.unity3d.com/learn. The documents have not been released into the public domain.

Having said that, we will provide access to the documents for any Unity customer or prospect that requests them. To submit a request, please click on the “Contact Us” button in the announcement above.

Mykolas, I checked and a contact form has not come through with your name or email address. Please submit another request via the “Contact Us” link. For some reason, it did not come through.

Thank you.

1. Ok i’ve sent off one again, hope it’ll get through this time :)

Really appreciate it Michael!

2. Stephane Surget

March 25, 2015 at 10:03 am

Hi,
        My working team is switching from Monogame to Unity 5 and I would like to organize training sessions, so these materials would be of a great help.
        I submitted the form, but I got an answer from an EMEA account rep telling me this is for educationals only and that she could not send it to me.
        Can you confirm ? From your comments it seemed that we could get it as well to help us with our learning process.
        Thanks!
        Stephane

3. Mykolas Mankevicius

March 25, 2015 at 11:12 am

Can we just get a firm reply on this?

Can we or can we not get this material if we are not an educational organization?
        It’s fine if we can’t (not that we could do anything about it :D ) but a firm yes or no answer would be nice Michael.

Thank you.

1. Michael Edmonds

March 25, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Yes, I just sent you and Stephane invitations to download the docs.

2. Mykolas Mankevicius

March 26, 2015 at 8:20 am

Thank you Michael!

4. Denis Zakupnev

March 26, 2015 at 8:28 am

Hello!
        Can you send me the Professional Skills Standard and Curricular Framework too? I’ve send message using “contact us” form two days ago and yet ro receive any answers.
        Thank you!

5. I just wanted to say thank you to everybody that helped set this up. After filling out the form, the Unity folks got back to me very quickly and our school is excited to get started!

6. And if I’nt a teacher and only want to learn?
    I steel can gain acces to the course?

7. This really feels like you are disregarding the working professionals who cannot go back to school or inner city kids who have no-chance at going to school.

Why not a Unity certification program instead of this and then certify instructors so they can teach anywhere. Only the ones who can go to these schools will have access to this right? Seems like it is the exact opposite of the core Unity message of democratizing game development. Did I read this too fast and misunderstand?

1. I don’t think they are disregarding anyone as there is a personal edition with all engine features and it’s free for the ones you mentioned. Check the download page.

1. Of course there is a personal version. I’m not talking about the engine. Honestly I think Unity is one of the greatest companies on the planet. And been here since Unity was OTTEE. I’m just trying to think of ways to certify and train people that is outside the “norm” of secondary schools.

2. Michael Edmonds

March 10, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Beyond our education announcements, we also have incredible learning content for working professionals at http://www.unity3d.com/learn. Having said that, I think your suggestion about certification for students and working professionals is a great idea.

1. If Unity were to do a Coursera style course I’d be all over that.

I work in the industry so can’t go to school and finding a Unity specific course for night school seems near impossible in San Francisco/Bay Area.

That basically leaves me with reading documentation or udemy and YouTube. Both have pros and cons but I learn better with structure and timelines to complete tasks like Coursera does, it helps stay motivated.

8. I’m not a teacher but I remember fondly all the teachers I’ve had in the past and know a few teachers too. This is good news for them and their students.

Remember those tree leaves pressed between wax paper? A teacher now using an improved version and much more intuitive to use version of the Unity editor / terrain system and data from google maps could survey and plot all the botany on school grounds or during field trips in a program their class created using Unity. No need to restrict to botany either. They could expand the detail of their local model each semester which the new students in their classes as the prior students graduate.

One has to be careful that science classes are learning the intended subject matter in creating such programs and for that Unity needs improvements and integration between the editor UI and terrain system as an simulated ecology system. The teaches and students shouldn’t be doing that.

They shouldn’t be thinking of Unity as a way to create games or learn how to program in the sense that I learned how to program. That would be a failure. That needs to be restricted to computer science classes. Unity mustn’t turn every class into a computer science or art class.

The editor must present the ability to interact with students and teachers in a way that is relevant to the subject matter they are teaching or learning. Of course, such a system will take a long time (in terms of our lifetimes – one should think of those old 5 year plans they ask you of in job interviews) to evolve and involve much back and forth between Unity and the education community. The education community, as they have done for so long, need to share knowledge models to raise all the boats.

What teachers and students should be doing is describing where water flows based on physics, mineralogy, topology. Where they expect botanical and animal species to live based on the soil, the topology, the climate, and so forth. And if you think it’s restricted to country and suburban schools you are wrong. I can remember as a child in downtown Chicago gathering dead flies from window seals and feeding the neighborhood spiders. That will be fun for them.

The new Unity Editor for the terrain system needs to create terrain based on such inputs as principles to teach students and teachers so that schools of all levels can describe the local terrain to the best of their ability and then watch the students learn as they create several models such as the current weather, drought conditions, flood conditions, glaciations, and so many other possibilities for their local environment. They will become intuitive experts at efficient and safe utilization of the ecology.

Every school district has it’s own criteria for what constitutes proper education and it can be far too political so Unity as an editor and an engine needs to address that with the facts of physics, mathematics, and language grammar.

Personally, I feel Unity reject using it’s own resources to recreate the Chinese Civil War, the American Civil War, WWI, WWII and so on. The market is already flooded with those style games and it makes Unity become too political. That doesn’t stop Unity from developing an historical time line editor but it definitely shouldn’t be hosting that data, unpaid, or promoting the truth of one data set over the other.

Unity and improved mobile hardware will give students real motive to pay attention in class and correctly implement the themes being taught so they can get out of class with their handy work and take walking surveys.

It almost makes me want to be a student again.

9. Alexander Blanco

March 6, 2015 at 9:23 am

Is there a reason why you’re just not giving a link to the Professional Skills Standard? I would like a detailed explanation of what is expect of me. So, for now there is no curriculum meets your specific standards yet? I would like a list of all the education centers that meets Unity’s Professional Skills Standard if any.

I am already a college graduate and dont have a schedule that would allow me to show up to school in person so online education is what works best for me. My first education on unity was actually on Udemy which had courses about Unity before Unity had live training.

1. Michael Edmonds

March 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm

The Professional Skills Standard can be used as a resource for curriculum developers and course designers, but it can also be used to help guide your personal learning objectives. Internally, we’ll use it as a foundation for our future development, and of course, it was the guide for our Curricular Framework. Glad to get it to you. Just click through on the Contact Us link in the announcement, and request them. Nothing else is expected. Someone from our education team can get the documents to you.

10. Sounds really interesting, how about people that are willing to teach Unity? For example, currently I’m working with Unity but I’m thinking to teach it as well but I’m not working on a university, school or institute. How about having a teaching degree but doing it on free-lance basis or just for fun or extra income. Can people like that have access to it as well?

1. I´d like to know it too. Thank you!

11. I teach at the University level, what does this mean for licensing for my school?

1. Michael Edmonds

March 6, 2015 at 3:14 am

Hey Bryan. You’re still teaching at University of Colorado-Denver, right? That’s post-secondary. We have several different license offerings for schools. Send me an email and let me know what you need, and I’d be glad to walk you through the options. However, since the University is post-secondary, they would not qualify for the secondary grant program announced today. As an Asst. Professor, do you do outreach to students at high schools in the Denver area? If so, maybe we can work together to help drive enrollments and interest in the game related programs offered at UC-D.

1. I’m an Associate Prof at CU and we don’t have a games program, but as a research institution we like to explore the latest technologies to see what we can come up with. What is your email address?

12. Details? Application process? Really free or short term free?

1. Michael Edmonds

March 6, 2015 at 3:55 am

Who knows what the future will bring! But yes, no-charge, non-expiring, education licenses with all the functionality of the Unity editor, Android and iOS pro extensions for all verified and registered secondary schools. We’ll be developing an easy online application process for automating the incoming grant requests, but for now, just click through to the contact form and someone from our education team will reach out to you. We’ll need some logistical information to setup or link to your existing account and configure your license key(s).

1. Awesome! This is a real ‘gamechanger’ for tech Ed. :)

13. This is a terrific idea!

I am a student who loves being creative, and I Unity since I learned about Unity Game Engine, I have tried their tutorials and accomplished a lot with it. What I really want is an online C-sharp program that will teach me how to script behavior components for my GameObjects, Menu, and so on. I think if Unity were to produce a site like CodeAcademy; an online source that teaches coding, a whole lot of users, both new and old will learn to love what they do in a much better and easier way!

Thanks,