Search Unity

Apple has recently announced a new generation of Apple TV devices and a new operating system for them: tvOS. This new operating system opens up opportunities to bring your great games to Apple TV devices. And we are happy to announce that we are already working to bring Unity runtime and all your games made with Unity to this new platform. Actually, we have already helped some chickens to cross roads at the Apple announcement event ;).

While tvOS is built on iOS heritage, it went under heavy cleanup process: numerous of frameworks are absent on tvOS and some new requirements are in place. TV in general is quite different in terms of how content is presented, consumed and interacted, which makes it more accurate to treat it as a separate platform rather than extension of the iOS platform.

CrossyRoad AppleTV

Currently, we are working with a closed focus group to iterate, improve and polish Apple TV support. If you’re getting an Apple TV devkit, don’t hesitate to ping us, we would be happy to add you to that group. When we feel it is ready, we will open it up for public beta testing. We don’t have any dates to share yet; although we expect this to happen later this fall.

Apple tvOS deployment will be available to Pro developers as a part of the iOS Pro add-on license.  If you use Unity’s Personal Edition, you can also deploy to tvOS.

Preparing your game for Apple TV

There is no need to wait until the new generation of devices ship. It’s possible to begin preparing your game content for tvOS already now. You can get pretty close to the tvOS experience by connecting an iPhone6+ to an external TV via HDMI cable and pairing it with a wireless MFi certified Game Controller. Here is a quick checklist of what your game should pass to be ready for tvOS:

• Make sure your game runs fine on the latest Unity 5.x version. Apple TV support will be based on the latest Unity 5 version available at release time.
  • You should be able to control your game with just the Apple TV remote alone. However, we think the best way to prepare in its absence is to make it work with Game Controllers first. Make sure all of your in-game UI responds to Game Controller inputs. It should be playable without ever touching the screen. Later, you can easily improve on that by using the new remote touch gestures and gyroscope or accelerometer input.
  • Apple TV devices will have virtually no persistent store for your games, so moving your game saves to Cloud becomes a necessity.
  • Apple TV is a streamed content device and your games are expected to be streamed if they take more than 200 MB of disk space. Here comes On Demand Resource support to the rescue. You can learn more about it in our forum post.
  • Most of the plugins will need to be recompiled specifically for this new platform, some of their functionality might even be unavailable on this platform. Please review all the plugins you are using inside your game and contact their providers for Apple TV support.

Don’t forget to try brave new ideas on how to make your game benefit from the new experience of a big TV screen and the whole family watching and playing your game together. The tvOS store is unique and promises lots of fun times ahead! Enjoy!

apple tv device blog

1. would like to add support for Apple TV do have the dev kit, but have finally got time to look into it.

2. Daniel Andersson

November 5, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I have appletv dev kit and want to publish unity -> appletv

3. I have the new Apple TV dev kit. Can I please get access to the beta test group please?

4. Hi there, I have the new Apple TV dev kit. Can I please get access to the beta test group please?

5. Hi there – my partner and I have several Unity Apps to port and we have the new Apple TV. Can we please get access to the beta test group please?

6. Hi there – my partner and I have several Unity Apps to port and we have the new Apple TV. Can we please get access to the beta test group please?

7. Hi there, I have the new Apple TV. Can I please get access to the beta test group please?
    I have a Unity 5 Pro license. Thanks

8. Now we have Dev Kit + Unity 5 Pro including iOS license.
    Can you please put me in the tvOS beta group?

cheers. Frank

ps, User:

9. With hardware now available at retail, should/can we still ask for tvOS beta access or are we waiting closer to 5.3…. or something else?

10. Jóhann Helgi Ólafsson

October 28, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I have a Unity 5 Pro license.

11. Please can I get added to the beta list im a pro license holder

12. Hi there I’m very super excited and would like to know when this will be released to the public

13. I’m receive an apple tv devkit and i have unity pro and ios license of unity … Could you add me to the alpha testing list?

14. Antonio Rabanera

October 21, 2015 at 2:05 pm

please add me to your beta group. We recently received an apple TV dev kit.

Thanks a lot!

15. Hey

We are registered developer and having UNITY 5 IOS Pro license.

We are willing to port our existing games for Apple TV OS and wanted to know how we can do so

Abhishek Vyas

16. grantmichgoldie

October 19, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Great article. For those who live outside US like me, you can access Netflix, Hulu and similar media stations on your Apple TV by using UnoTelly or similar tools.

17. Just received my AppleTV dev kit today and am interested in bringing one of my iOS games to AppleTV – would love to join the relative Unity beta.

18. Christopher Lightfoot

October 15, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Just received an apple tv dev kit; wouldn’t mind doing some unity 3d testing on it :D

19. I would like to be a part of the apple tv beta test. Apple release more dev kits and I got one.

20. Please add me to the beta group. I have a Dev Apple TV and Unity Pro.

Thanks much!

21. Please add to preview to the beta group.

22. We got an Apple TV devkit as well. Can you add us to the beta group..
    We have Unity5 pro license with iOS Pro. Thank you!
    Be Studios Montreal

23. Is it possible to use the iOS Pro plug-in with Unity 5 personal.

24. Hi, would someone please set me up with the Beta for tvOS? I’m a pro licensee. Thank you!

25. Hi,
    We have just received Apple TV dev kit, can you please add us to the beta?

26. Hi,

I have also just received Apple TV dev kit, can you please add me too to the beta?

Thanking you in advance,

27. Have ATV development kit and am hoping that Unity3d will provide the necessary integration for this new platform…please add me to the Beta team!

28. Hi!
    We are BUBL, we make artsy apps for kids. Our latest app, Planes Adventures by BUBL ( recently got an editor’s choice. We are a part of Apple TV dev kit program and we are brining it to Apple TV. We would like to be included in Unity for tvOS beta program.

29. I have the Apple Development Kit. Been playing around in Xcode. Please add me to the Focus Group. Apple TV and Unity is exactly why I became a Unity developer, interactive Tv!

30. I have received my AppleTV. Have the Pro account. I would love to get on beta for AppleTV. Cheers.

31. I have an AppleTV Dev Kit but only a personal edition account for unity 5, will I be able to gain access to Unity with tvOS compatiblity whilst in development testing or will I have to wait for a stable personal edition?

1. Unfortunately beta builds can’t be activated without Pro license. This requirement will be lifted once development comes closer to the release candidate. We expect this to happen later this fall.

1. Hi,

I’m a pro user.

Can I be added to the beta group please ?

Best regards,

32. Sascha Dittmann

October 8, 2015 at 11:12 am

I received my Apple TV Dev Kit today and would be happy to join the focus group.

33. I have an Apple TV DevKit. Please can you add me to the Unity Beta for Apple TV.

34. Can I found any details about this subject in different languages?

35. klima markalari

October 5, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Why this web site don’t have other languages?

36. My AppleTV DevKit is in the post (part to the due to overwhelming demand batch!).
    Please could you add me to the test group.

37. Heroic Zero LLC

October 5, 2015 at 12:15 am

We received an Apple TV dev kit and would also like to join the Unity 3D with Apple TV support Beta.

38. GameIndica Entertainment

October 3, 2015 at 5:42 am

Hello we are tvOS developer. Please add us to the group. Thanks

39. I am part of the Apple TV Dev Program, would love to be part of the focus group. Thanks!

40. Nick Culbertson

October 2, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Hello! I have an Apple TV dev kit and would like to be added to the Unity beta w/ Apple TV support.

41. We have our Apple TV Dev Kit and would like to try the Unity Beta for Apple TV. Thanks!

42. Hi there,
    would you please put me on the list as well? Thank you very much.

43. We just picked up a dev kit, we’d love to be added to the tvOS Unity lib to start building ;)

44. This maybe a dumb question, but would you need a OS X computer to develop for the new Apple TV? Also, are you able to make a highly detailed guide to develop for Android TV? I have an ADT-1, and I’d like to learn as much as possible.

45. Have Apple TV Dev Kit, would like to try Unity Beta for Apple TV.

46. Michael Blanchard

September 26, 2015 at 1:09 am

We’ve got an Apple TV Dev Kit. Would love to get the Beta!

47. Charlotte Lacombe--Bar

September 25, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Awesome news! Dropped an email, I really hope we can be part of this as it seems really exciting xD

48. We have received our apple TV SDK so please add us to the list too!

49. I have received the dev kit, please add me to the beta program, too.

50. Ashley (SMG Studio)

September 24, 2015 at 3:19 am

We’ve emailed a couple of Unity contacts but would love to be on the list and get access to this ASAP. We have the kit and ready to start testing

51. Hi, i’ve got an Apple TV dev kit, so could you add me to the list as well.

Thank you.

52. Will be receiving a dev kit, please add me to the beta program.

53. I have a AppleTV Dev Kit and and interested in using Unity with it. Could you add me to the list.

54. Hi, we had the AppleTV Dev Kit, could you please add me to your Beta Test?

55. Hi, we are getting the apple tv dev-kit tomorrow.
    please add me to the beta-group… User:

thanks and cheers. Frank

56. Hi. We have received the AppleTV Dev Kit as well. Please add me to your Beta Test. Thank you.

57. Hey Unity Team ! We’ve just received our Dev Kit and are eager to start tinkering with it. Any chance to get an invite ? (We have Unity 5 iOS Pro of course !).
    Thanks !

1. Answered myself. Email sent !

58. Hello I have the AppleTV Dev Kit, can I please get access to the beta test group please? I have a Unity 5 Pro license.

59. Is there an ETA of when a beta will be available for Unity Personal users as well? I have been selected for receiving a devkit and I would like to start developing for it. I think everyone getting a devkit can be useful for helping to find bugs, and obviously we would be happy to do it. :)

1. This fall

1. This fall is almost over.

60. Great, is there a form somewhere to apply for the alpha test group? We have the dev kit coming within the next 2 days. Also we’ve got a Unity 5 pro licenses and iOS add-on. So i guess we meet the requirements :)

1. Please look for my e-mail in answers below.

1. hey we’v receive our Apple TV, is there a way to be part of the beta program

cheers richard

61. Hi,
    I will be receiving a dev kit within the next week. I’d really like to be part of your closed group. I have Unity Pro iOS 4.x, but have not put the money into 5 yet. Can I use this with 5 Community edition?
    Thanks, I look forward to it.

1. Beta builds can’t be activated with Personal Edition. Unity 5 desktop Pro might work.
      These requirements will be lifted once development comes closer to release candidate.

62. I have desktop unity pro, but no iOS pro. However, I have a suggestion. Call me crazy, but wouldn’t it be better to widen the ‘alpha’ testing to TVos to people who ARENT ios pro with one condition? That condition is – prove via invoice or some method to prove you have the kit. Then open it to those people.

There are lots of people who have the kit now, and realized they cannot test it because they have to wait. I would think this would make the testing better, more suggestions and bugs being fixed faster or at least revealed quicker. Sure you’ll open it up once it’s released but that doesn’t help the now does it?

Feels like a missed opportunity, and I personally I’m pretty mad about it myself. I’m not saying everyone gets ‘in’ I’m talking about those who truly have the kit and are ready to test.

Make it a requirement for feedback, and whatever. Do something!!

P.S. CMON!!!!

1. Unity 5 desktop Pro might work. Please ping me via e-mail posted on comments below.

63. Rafael Villagaray

September 16, 2015 at 5:54 pm

We are receiving a Dev unit as well. I would love to be part of the test group.

1. Please ping me via e-mail posted on comments below.

64. Hi Mantas,

Dropped you an email regarding getting an early build for TVOS – any idea on how long before we’re added. We’re working on our title now so keen to make sure we can still work with Unity

We have an iOS pro add on license too

Many Thanks

1. Typically I respond within 24 hours. Please send your mail once again if it took longer than that.

1. Hi Mantas,

No problem have resent.

Many thanks

65. Any plans when deploying to tvOS will be available for Non-Pro users … like me?

1. We will lift Pro requirement once development will come closer to public release later this fall. Though no specific date are known yet.

66. Bit unclear what this means “Apple tvOS deployment will be available to Pro developers as a part of the iOS Pro add-on license. If you use Unity’s Personal Edition, you can also deploy to tvOS.”

So you will be able to deploy with Unity’s free personal edition, without any add-ons ?

67. Great to hear it’s official. I think some people don’t realize how huge this platform is going to be once thousands of developers are producing new apps and games for it. It would be nice if we could get some more detailed specs about the capabilities of the hardware? A8 chip? how many cores? memory? performance?

As to player prefs – might Unity create some kind of cloud-based prefs storage of their own to make this easy?

1. We are planning to add iCloud key-value storage support.
      It’s currently not 100% clear if PlayerPrefs won’t work completely.

1. Given that the key/value storage of iCloud is a real pain to make it work properly, good luck. Sometimes it sync, sometimes it doesn’t. On our side we gave up key/value storage and ended up doing a similar thing with cloud kit

2. I currently have a kit that allows you to store all your game’s data on your own website. It’s currently available for free via Level11 so pro users, rejoice! :P

I also agree with that other post, though… Publishing is a pro feature that also works without pro???? Huh? Will this need pro or not?

68. No PlayerPrefs?

1. We got clarification from Apple regarding NSUserDefaults (backend we use for PlayerPrefs), it will work, but you are limited to 500 KB.

1. Hi Mantas,
        I’m considering Apple TV for the f2p game I’m developing,as the backend is all server based anyway.
        What happen when you exceed these 500k?
        Can you save file temporarily and be sure they won’t be touched at least for as long as the app is not removed from memory?
        Wouldn’t want to hammer the server with countless requests every time.

69. Congratulations. It is good to know that Unity is working in partnership with great players of all kinds of platforms.
    It is showing that is a good thing to stay with Unity.

70. Any plans to make it work on Unity4?

1. No, it will be coming only to the latest Unity 5.

71. Good to see that Unity supports Apple TV. However I rather see development going in some serious features like, SSRR or new terrain system which is open for about 2 years now, then Apple TV which actually hardly anyone uses for gaming. Why would you start gaming on a TV while you have a console, pc, tablet or phone? Since interactive TV devices have been released, I have never ever met someone in real life gaming on his TV with something else then a gaming console, defiantly not Apple TV. Maybe it’s hot in the USA, but in EU I still need to meet someone that does so. I find it somehow a waste in development resources, unless it was already 1 button touch action to make it possible, then fine to me. For me Apple TV feature is something like adding a pink bunny on the top right corner of the interface, makes no sense at all. So far I haven’t seen any proof that Apple TV adds even a little something to the gaming / serious gaming industry. It’s just a feature of: look it’s possible, but will anyone use it? …. nah not many.

72. great news !
    Now please make Unity capable of deploying to Apple Watch !

1. Apple Watch is… Not an iOS device. It’s EXTREMLY limited in what it can do thanks to the tiny form factor having very little room for battery power. Were Apple to add a 3D graphics library to it the battery would probably die in seconds.

73. Oh wow.. Ok — I’m getting a DevKit, but my current iOS game is Unity 4.6 only. Will take a bunch of work to make it 5 compatible I think. Also, I’ll need to change the saving structure entirely.

I’d like to be a part of that group, though! Maybe all of this would be easier than I think :)

1. To make any use of participation in Unity for Apple TV alpha testing group you need to own Unity 5 iOS Pro add-on license.

74. I also got my email this morning from Apple letting me know that I’d won the lotto, my AppleTV should be here later this week- I’d love to be added to the group of pre-pre-Unity testers for TVos.

1. Is this comments section the place to make this request, btw?

1. Please check my comments below with instructions how to reach me.

1. ” A collective, depressed sigh is heard throughout the comments section…”

75. Just received the confirmation email and would love to help out.

My licenses are:
    – Unity 5 Pro but no iOS pro.
    – Unity 4 Pro, iOS Pro, Android Pro.

Should I go ahead and begin with Unity 5 or Unity 4?

Great news all around

Thanks guys!

1. I meant ‘confirmation email’ of Apple TV Developer Kit purchase.

2. Just re-read the post.

Unity 5 only.

Got it!

3. For preview builds you will need Unity 5 iOS Pro add-on license.

76. Our company just got the email from Apple that our AppleTV Dev Kit is on its way. How do we get into the group so we can start porting our games to it?

1. Please drop your e-mail, company name and title under development to mantas [@]

1. We have AppleTV dev kit. Working prototype to test. Looking forward to the Unity3D beta with AppleTV support.

77. Will Unity Ads be supported?

1. Heikki Tunkelo (Unity Ads)

September 16, 2015 at 10:52 am

Hi Warren,

We have no immediate plans, but we are definitely watching this.

78. Our company is receiving a Dev Kit. How do we get more information about the group and or beta you mentioned?

79. “Apple tvOS deployment will be available to Pro developers as a part of the iOS Pro add-on license. If you use Unity’s Personal Edition, you can also deploy to tvOS.”

Is this just an odd way of saying all users can publish for tvOS but Personal Edition users will have the Unity splash screen like all other platforms?

1. Not sure if it is odd, but yes, it will work the same way currently it works for Personal Edition on iOS.

80. I’ve been waiting for this moment, all my life
    oh Lord

81. So far, I like everything I see about the new Apple TV – except one. It has no web browser. This is a serious flaw, and I will hold out until they bring a web browser to this incredible device.

1. Then why not cash in and make on for it?

2. Don’t hold your breath, it’s pretty clear that Apple will never put a web browser on the new Apple TV.

1. I don’t really see how it’s clear they won’t put a browser on Apple TV but again they put the App Store on it so a browser from someone is inevitable.

2. CHeck out Kulestar’s PowerUI addon — it’s looks like it’s fast becoming a CSS+JS capable browser that’s written in C#, so might run on many of Unity’s platforms.

3. They could easily put a browser on it, I mean, an iPhone has one on a tiny screen. A tv screen is far bigger and easier to read. Plus it has an internet connection. Not exactly a huge leap to add a browser, although I’m not sure if that would redefine what apple tv is all about?