Search Unity

We have some exciting news to share! While talking internally about programs that would empower women and encourage participation in the greater gaming community, we realized we needed to think big, because it is super important that we do our part. With that in mind, we decided to create a series of global workshops to tackle some of the difficult topics around development of women’s careers in gaming, while offering women the opportunity to network and learn from each other about topics such as career building, leadership, strategic thinking and organizational dynamics.

We have selected a range of talented industry leaders with exceptional experience in their fields, who will share their experiences, insights, and best practices on how to improve strategic thinking, influencing, and career navigation in gaming.

The five events taking place in 2016 will be held on the dates and in the cities listed below. To learn more and to register for each event, click on the featured speaker listed below:

• June 1, 2016: Amsterdam (as part of Unite Europe)
    • Confirmed speaker: Fiona Sperry, Founder, Three Fields Entertainment
  • June 20, 2016: San Francisco, CA
  • July 28, 2016: Shanghai (check Unity Chinese website for details)
    • Confirmed speakers: Amy Huang, AVP at NetEase Capital; Evelyn Liu, CTO at Firevale; and Yanyan Xiong (Shining Hsiong), Founder of Shenzhenware
  • September 22, 2016: San Francisco, CA
    • Confirmed speaker: Nanea Reeves, President & COO, textPlus
  • Early November, 2016: Los Angeles, CA (as part of Unite LA)

All events are free and open to public. We hope to see you there!

1. Unity is on a very disturbing trajectory. At the same time they are radically raising prices, still recovering from an embarrassing bug-plagued version release, they are putting more and more of their (public anyway) energy into non-customer focused activities like this.

Why do I, as a customer, care about this? The back and forth about women in the gaming industry (not my industry, btw) is irrelevant.

This is how businesses go out of business – total loss of focus. Overall I love the product – it will be very sad if it’s unavailable in 5 years.

2. “As we begin to look at more ways to develop our employees internally, we realized it made sense to broaden our efforts industry wide, said Elizabeth Brown, chief people officer at Unity Technologies, in a statement. “These events are an important platform for women to come together in a collaborative setting and learn from each other, which is key to ensuring their ongoing success in the gaming and tech communities.”

3. Hi I head Women In Games Austin, would y’all be interested in doing a workshop here? We are a hub. We had our first TWIG Con: Texas Women In Games Conference this year with 150 ppl in attendance. Please contact me at to talk further.

4. Very happy about this initiative.

For all the men here and elsewhere explaining what women really need to succeed, you might take a second to step back and think about that. It’s entirely possible your experience in this industry is really different because of the fact you’re a man. You may not even realize that even in a basic meeting, using the exact same words as a man will yield a different result.

So, maybe women would like to discuss this with each other, offer tips about overcoming some of these hurdles in a constructive way without being spoken over by men who have had success in ways that may not work as well for a woman. Maybe as a men, we can go ahead and step back, stop offering advice, and listen.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m fairly certain these events are open to the public. So if you want to go and learn a little about the challenges women in the industry face that you may or may not have seen, it might be a great learning opportunity! If you also believe women are just as smart as men, then it’s a great place to network and find talented individuals to work with.

5. Would be great to see this in Melbourne some day ;)…. Please?!

6. I’m a woman, I don’t want special treatment, I don’t want to get into something just to fill a quota. This is just positive sexism, if I wanna do something, I’ll do it by myself and get where I want to.

7. Will these be recorded or available online afterward?

1. From what I understand, these workshops won’t be recorded or livestreamed, but keep your eyes peeled as we may host some online webinars in the future. Thanks for your interest!

8. Lars Kroll Kristensen

May 13, 2016 at 12:19 am

Unity: You’re hearing a lot of shit for this initiative. That is of course utter bullshit. You’re doing the right thing. The bullshit you ARE hearing, is from a vocal minority, is my guess. That minority represents a dying breed, even if they don’t know it themselves. My guess is, that for each of the asshats out there, there’s two or three people well decided, and firmly on the good side. My guess is further, that for each of those, there’s probably five or ten that have no idea there’s a problem, and just want to make games.

That’s where the real fight is. Not with the asshats: Let them die out in peace. No, the important ones to talk to, are the fence sitters. And you’re doing it right: You’re talking about the issues at hand. Most of the fence sitters will be “But… I’m fine with women making games. I treat women and men the same. Women and men have the same rights. I agree that the GG women haters were fucked up. Whats the problem ?” And that’s OK.

I think that each and every initiative like the one you guys are doing now, helps a little bit, even if just by getting a fence sitter to ask himself (Yes, it’s a him) if he’s actually treating men and women equally. Not the same, but equally. That sometimes means treating men and women the same, and sometimes not. Sometimes it means changing assumptions about what is OK, and whats not.
    And that’s actually pretty hard to do, even if the fence sitter has all the right intentions.

Forget the assholes. They’ll either figure out they are wrong, or they’ll become irrelevant. (They probably pretty much are already). Focus on the good guys that want the good change, but maybe don’t totally see that the problem isn’t solved yet.

9. Brett Johnson

May 12, 2016 at 11:53 pm

This is really great Unity.

And to the haters: You’re boring.

It’s the same garbage statements over and over. This isn’t for you so why do you care? Do you feel neglected? There’s events all the time to go to. It’s not like there’s some event they would be putting on in place of this one that you’re somehow missing out on. This event doesn’t hurt you, so why are you upset?

10. It saddens me how many negative/apathetic comments there are regarding this announcement.

Even over on the unity subreddit, which usually has a positive vibe, a news post on this article only has a 68% upvote.

This is just further proof of the need for women to have an opertunity to network and promote a healthier and more inclusive industry.

11. Jacqueline Crosswhite

May 12, 2016 at 5:37 pm

Wow some of these replies absolutely blow me away. Just, shoosh please. Take your violent criticism somewhere else. There are women who create games and many women who work in tech, but do not feel comfortable around male dominated areas. I do not go to game jams as often because many of the people there annoy me like crazy. When I voice my dislike many friends and mentors reply that this is how the industry is and what to expect. This is not acceptable.

I am happy that unity is doing this because it sends a clear message. We want to create a safe place for women to learn from other successful developers. It may be because of PR, but it is helping to create a positive difference unlike many of these comments. Joe Schmoe please ask a woman near you how they feel about this before trying to speak for them.

1. I’ve got no problem with events to encourage women to get into gaming. What i DO have a problem with is the entire focus of said events focusing on everything that WRONG with the game industry, or patting each other on the back about being so brave to take on a male dominated space.

Newsflash: 50% of gamers are women. Women LIKE games, and yes they play the hell out of games even when those games are designed by men (shocker!!). Female developers have doubled since 2009, and i say the more the merrier!

We need a diversity of minds and imaginations to make great games- so as long as these talks come from the standpoint of ANYBODY can be a developer with the right knowledge and skills, I’m all for it. But like a meeting of feminists that have nothing to talk about but MEN, I do not want to hear about this falling into the same trap.

I know a lot of girl gamers, and I know female developers, Austin is a HUGE gaming town. None of them have a chip on their shoulder, even my friend who works in tech as an engineer without a single other female on her team- sexist assholes get TOTALLY ostracized in today’s corporate culture, they have to be totally underground about it. The shoe is on the other foot.

So let’s encourage women to get fired up about game development, but the wrong way to start that is with a feminist agenda- they should make great games out of a passion for entertainment and story telling, not politics.

1. While I agree with some of what you said, I disagree that this event is some kind of feminist agenda.

This seems like a jumpstart to help promote the idea that being a female game developer is a valid path.

As a man, how does this affect you personally?

What evidence is there that having such events would produce negative outcomes?

As a male, if you have a negative reaction to this announcement, I do suggest you do some soul searching.

I think, that when men feel repulsed by women’s rights and gender equality, it’s typically because there is some insecurity/unrest within themselves.

Just my two cents.

12. Robert Cummings

May 12, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Just wanted to say that Simian Squared Ltd and everyone here are in full support of equality and think this is a great initiative. Don’t let the ignorant get you down :)

13. woe is me! i am a man and i am VERY UPSET that there is an event for women! all of the attention should be on ME. this year only 90% of content was focused on ME and the women are stealing away my joy!

14. Vitor Navarro

May 12, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Nice move! I hope it motivates and helps women to have more opportunities in the gaming

Would be nice if those workshops could happen in more places, what about doing one here in Brazil?

15. Emil "AngryAnt" Johansen

May 12, 2016 at 9:30 am

Good move.

Aside from being an ass, the industry is self-sabotaging with the old-skool bigoted mindset. Game development is challenging enough without the industry inventing new stumbling blocks of its own.

Are these intended to be annual events?

16. I am not really into games, I just love women and I think it is hilarious watching bitter virgins having violent meltdowns because women who want to be given the same opportunities as men. Don’t worry fellas, I am sure that none of the brilliant and talented women in the gaming industry will ever wander into your parents’ basement and disturb you.

P.S. Real men don’t threaten women.

1. “I think it is hilarious watching bitter virgins having violent meltdowns because women who want to be given the same opportunities as men.”

Ad hominem followerd by a made up assertion.
      Now, what opportunities do they lack exactly? I’m dying to know.

1. The “no true scotsman” fallacy at the end really did close it well though, I forgot to point that out.

2. Why I do declare why would you need to prove your forward looking open mindedness regarding women? Or that you aren’t a virgin? You do know that more women than men reading your comment are likely to be virgins, as researched time and again, and your words you try to disguise as words of reasoned wisdom but are just another avenue of abuse mindlessly flung at the innocent. Or are you assuming no women, monks, nuns, or children read the Unity blog?

Some of the nicest and most sincere people I’ve and others have ever met in life have been nuns, monks, the Dali Lama, and a long list of other people, non-virgins and virgins alike, that place dignity, grace, and innocence over the evil desire to degrade others through nasty hateful words, forced arranged marriages, violence, prostitution, and the scourge of STDs.

As to the topic of empowering women in the gaming industry well don’t we trust that the women that have chosen not to participate in the gaming industry as it is now have sent the gaming industry a message that should be as easy to understand for the leadership of the gaming industry: “No we aren’t interested in a career in the gaming industry.”

Women have been empowered and they have mostly and overwhelmingly said no to the gaming industry and to computer science in general. They like more socially engaged careers and even with the restricted percentage of women in computer science that I’ve worked with through the years have switched from programming for international banks and weapons industries to programming for medical technology or social help agencies.

People are empowered and they have made their choices to live the type of lives they want and if it’s not the one you wanted for them well who is actually living those lives anyway?

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics aka intelligent choice is never random.

3. Virginity is nothing to be ashamed of nor is it appropriate to use virginity as a negative qualifier of a person’s worth.

It takes a lot of discipline to save yourself for someone special if that’s why and if the person in question just hasn’t happened to find someone willing to share that level of intimacy with them, that does not devalue them as a human being.

Please remember to be more considerate in the future.

Also, please avoid name-calling and otherwise hostile behaviour. That is inappropriate behaviour.

17. Rasmus Lindén

May 12, 2016 at 5:33 am

Wonderful news, we (as in everyone) need more happenings like these.

18. I can’t find relative infomation about this on Unity Chinese website, beg a link.

1. Please review the details in this link –

19. Michael Calvert

May 12, 2016 at 12:51 am

Really happy about this. Go Unity!

20. John Riccitiello

May 12, 2016 at 12:48 am

I am proud to promote women in gaming. And, I am ashamed to imagine some in our industry (in which i have worked nearly 20 years) are aligned with those that would prefer to flame/ blast the women in our industry that take a stand and have some level of public profile. Women in our industry are often at a disadvantage in our industry and a level playing field, something i strongly believe in, means we have to have programs like this. A level playing field is the right things to work toward. Period.

1. Mr Riccitiello,
      Respectfully, you of all people know that this industry is a (sometimes brutal) meritocracy and because of that there is real atmosphere of tacit acceptance from most teams of people from all backgrounds who achieve great things. The problem with initiatives like these are the damaging implication made about a perceived inequality in the industry that the figures (and common sense) reveal to be grossly exaggerated.

21. Robbie Fraser

May 11, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Good job Unity! This is important work and it’s great to see companies taking steps to improve the woeful diversity problems in the games industry.

22. I think more diversity in people making games will lead to more and better kinds of games. Every field that has opened up to more people has seen an increase in the quality of the work. Better games means we all come out ahead!

It’s hardly radical to notice that an industry is lacking diversity and then do something to encourage it. Kudos to Unity for stepping up!

1. “Every field that has opened up to more people has seen an increase in the quality of the work.”

23. Shame on you for pushing radical feminist politics into Gaming. This stops now.

Whoever has the opportunity, be sure to disrupt and heckle those talks, and pull the fire alarms so the events get cancelled on the spot.

1. While you are entitled to your opinion as a US citizen (if you are one), and we don’t have to agree on our beliefs, inciting people to commit an illegal and potentially dangerous act is not acceptable behavior. Exercise your right to protest, but do not use this blog to tell people to do something that’s illegal.

1. Irony *whoosh*

May 12, 2016 at 8:32 am

They were actually referring to the tactic often used by (certain types of) feminist to shut down discussion they don’t like. (re)Search “feminists fire alarm” and read (note – the tactic is most often used against men’s rights advocates, not really a topic for Unity, but knowing this lays out the context). And you’re correct, it is illegal, but only for some.

2. Really happy about this news. Women need to make games! The industry seems to have an unhealthy lack of women, and perhaps any women who want to pursue it feel they can’t, as it’s male dominated and they won’t be listened to. The awesome thing about game development is that with perhaps a little bit of encouragement, anyone can make a game.

3. Unity does it for PR, so nothing to blame. The funny point is, why the feminists like this kind of events. It’s a workshop, for people to work something. Why do feminists want extra help on working a game? Aren’t there lots of game jam, hackathon? I always feel sad that not enough female attending these events. If a female want to make game, she can. Even if big companies don’t trust female, they can still start an indie project. The tool/resource is genderless, the online publish platform is genderless. Nothing can stop them.

If a human want to do something but he can’t even when nothing stop him, it actually means he has a disability to do that thing. The feminists actually are admitting that female developers have something like a “game development disability”, and need extra help to develop game. If a company see you have disability on working and need extra help, of course it doesn’t want to hire you.

24. The problem that people seem to be ignoring is that woman aren’t in the gaming industry primarily because their parents don’t offer that as a career path. Your goals should be towards marketing game development as a real career path aimed at parents in general.

Woman are like Men, they go where their passions lie, but more often than not passion does not pay bills. If someone can do what they love then they’ll do so happily for the rest of their lives. Ignoring the root cause for a lack of gender diversity in a specific area will not solve the problem.

Furthermore, focusing on one gender over another can cause an imbalance in that area. You would be better suited towards trying to make game development a more open field for everyone, and not just woman. Otherwise you run into scenarios where your message sounds like “This can EVEN be done by you! A woman!” <====insulting at best.