Unity at SIGGRAPH 2020: Bringing together communities of creators online
Unity is proud to be a Champion Sponsor of the SIGGRAPH 2020 Virtual Conference, enabling creators everywhere to take part together with thousands of computer graphics professionals from around the world in research and learning.
Join us online during SIGGRAPH 2020, the world’s leading conference for computer graphics, taking place online August 17–28. We are excited to share with you how creators are using Unity to tell their stories using our high-fidelity graphics, flexible real-time 3D platform, integrated artist tools and workflows and AI/machine learning.
We’re also bursting to premiere our animated short film, Windup, at the SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival 2020. Created in real-time with Unity, Windup explodes with texture and heart.
In addition to the panels and presentations we are participating in (we’ve listed some highlights below), you can visit our Virtual Booth (registration required), where our Technical and Community team will be on hand to answer your important questions directly. They’ll be there 9:00–10:30 am and 3:00–5.30 pm from Tuesday, August 25 to Thursday, August 27mn (PT).
Unity Technical Talks
The Unity technical sessions will be available on-demand starting August 24, 9 am PT.
- How to achieve eye-catching visuals in your AR/VR project: Dan Miller, Senior Developer Advocate, XR, walks through the latest developments of Unity’s rendering technology and new Unity features that give you the power to raise the bar and deliver augmented and virtual reality experiences with stunning visuals.
- AI-assisted artistry with Unity ArtEngine: Artomatix has joined the Unity family! Learn more about powerful 3D material-creation workflows and quality-of-life enhancements made available with AI-assisted artistry, in ArtEngine, an example-based workflow.
- Future proof: Join the real-time generation: Discover how artists and storytellers can future-proof their careers by learning real-time content production in Unity with resources like our new beginner course, Real-time Animated Storytelling, free on Unity Learn.
- Real-time animation: Create an ad campaign lightning-fast in Unity: Zac Dixon, co-founder of IV Studio, walks through how the animation studio used Unity to deliver a “video game meets anime” look for a global brand’s fast-turnaround, four-spot campaign.
- ComicCon@home: Creating a first virtual event experience: Join us for a panel about the creation of the ComicCon@home virtual app. Guests include Dylan Urquidi, Senior Design Engineer, Unity; Aaron Moon, Solutions Engineer, Unity; Sebastian Herscher, CEO/CTO, Parallux Inc.; and Mark Murphy, Principal, Whatnot?! Entertainment, Inc. – hosted by Isabelle Riva, Head of M&E Research, Unity Labs.
- Synthetic data: A scalable way to train your computer vision models: Synthetic data, pre-labelled and annotated, addresses the security and compliance challenges of real-world data collection and can be generated in abundance for better machine-learning (ML) models. Learn how to use Unity to generate synthetic data and train a performant ML model using a combination of real and synthetic data.
- The Heretic short film: The graphics technology, artist tools and devs that power: Unity’s award-winning Demo team discuss the features they used and the team’s journey to create the stunning high-fidelity visuals in Unity’s short film, The Heretic.
Unity in the SIGGRAPH official program
Beyond the Unity sessions, you will also find Unity employees sharing their expertise throughout the conference. Be sure to check out the full list of sessions. Here are some the highlights (all times are PT):
- Jesse Barker, Head of HDRP Mobile: Jesse will be speaking on Moving Mobile Graphics – a half-day course that provides a technical introduction to the state of the art in mobile graphics from practitioners at the forefront. Jesse will be joined by Kay-Leng Chang (Unity), Sam Martin (Arm), Jose-Emilio Muñoz-Lopez (Arm), Arseny Kapoulkine (Roblox), and Romain Guy (Google). (August 24, 9:00 am)
- Natalya Tatarchuk, VP of Graphics: Natalya will be leading a panel discussion on the Advances in Real-time Games – a look at state-of-the-art and production-proven rendering techniques for fast, interactive rendering of complex and engaging virtual worlds. This discussion will feature Unity’s HDRP-DXR Graphics Programmer Emmanuel Turquin as he presents on the topic of Path Tracing, as well as speakers from industry-leading game development teams, including the creators of Call of Duty and Hellscape of DOOM Eternal. (August 25, 9:00 am)
- Arisa Scott, Product Manager, Graphics: Arisa will serve as a Judge for Real-time Live!, a live, fan-favorite competition that celebrates the top jury-reviewed interactive novelties of the year. Every presentation treats the audience to a sampling of what’s new in real-time. (August 25, 4:00 pm)
- Yibing Jiang, Creative/Art Director: At the Siggraph Electronic Theatre Director’s Panel, Yibing will discuss how the animated film, Windup, premiering at the Siggraph Computer Animation Festival 2020, was Made with Unity. (August 27, 12:00 pm)
SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival
Unity’s short film, The Heretic, both parts 1 and 2, is on the program. You don’t have to wait to see it there though – you can watch it now on our YouTube channel. This was created using the High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP) and artist tools like Shader Graph and VFX Graph. You can also download the Digital Human character package and VFX Graph Character package here.
Attend SIGGRAPH with a Unity discount code
Use UNITY20 for a free basic registration at the show. Or you can also use this code to upgrade your registration from Basic to Enhanced or the Ultimate registration level. Learn more about SIGGRAPH registration here.
We hope to see you at SIGGRAPH! Together we’ll explore what’s possible with computer graphics. Even though we can’t be face to face this year, this is a great opportunity for like minds to meet and inspire each other.