Unity iPhone 1.5 Released!
Today is very exciting for us because we’ve just released a much anticipated update to our iPhone development platform — Unity iPhone 1.5.
Some of the highlights from this major point release include:
Significant Performance Boosts
- Up to 3x faster than 1.0.3.
- Performance critical paths rewritten to take advantage of VFP coprocessor, animation skinning is up to 4x faster.
- Automatic batching of meshes to reduce draw calls.
Built-in Anti-piracy Protection
- Identify if Apple DRM was removed from the application bundle and modify application behaviour accordingly.
- Full support for native Objective C and C++ code opens full access to the iPhone 3.x APIs and custom plugins.
- Access to video-playback, on screen keyboard support, and GPS/location services.
- Support for 8-texture shading on iPhone 3GS with automatic fallbacks for iPhone 3G.
- Detailed instructions on iphone-specific optimizations.
- New 150 page tutorial to get you up to speed with iPhone game making.
Further information about this release, a download link for the update, and a link to the Penelope Tutorial can all be found here: http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/iphone-1.5