New version of Unity Answers unveiled today
Update: We’ve hit some road bumps and have a delay in deploying the new theme with the features listed in this post. The site is currently live so you can still access it while we work on getting the theme set up.
We have been working on improving Unity Answers with the goal of making it easier to uncover authentic questions that need to be answered. We also want to cut down the time it takes to get an answer regardless of the amount of posts that get published daily. Ultimately, we want to make it easier for you to find existing posts that provide solutions to similar issues that you’re experiencing.
A user guide will be provided once the new site is deployed describing the new features and how to navigate the site.
We have created a new section called the Help Room, where any user regardless of reputation (amount of karma points) can post questions directly without having to wait for moderator approval. The Help Room will also contain posts where users are asking for more general help with scripting. Moderators will be able to move questions from the default Questions/Home section to the Help Room when needed. If you want to post to the default Questions/Home section, a reputation of 15 KP or more is needed, otherwise your post will have to go through the moderation queue.
Other features that are being introduced with this version:
- When you start typing a Question, a list with suggested existing threads (+ amount of answers) will appear that may already hold the answer you are looking for
- Autosave while typing questions, answers and comments
- A new redactor text editor to make it easier to clearly see how to format code and insert screenshots
- Reward other users with your own karma points for contributing with good answers and asking good questions
- See how many followers a post has and tag a user who may be able to answer it
- Follow content and manage them from your user profile
- User profile and moderation tools will be accessible from the top right corner
Moderators! You will also get new features:
A space for Moderators has been created to keep track of mod or site-related questions rather than using [META] threads. You will be able to move questions from the default Questions/Home section to either the Help Room or Moderators space.
You will also be able to redirect posts. If you want to redirect a post to another, simply choose that option from the drop-down menu and search for the post which it should redirect to. This way, if you for example find a duplicate post, just redirect it to a more suitable post.
We hope you will enjoy the new site, and if there are any questions make sure to post it in the forum thread created for this so we can help you out.