Tuesdays are for #unitytips
Over the years at Unity, I’ve gathered quite a few tips and tricks. I recently shared some of my favorites in a Develop article and soon enough, #unitytips became kind of a thing on Twitter. Now we want to make it official!
The basic idea is simple: just like Fridays are for #madewithunity tweets and #screenshotsaturday is for, well, screenshots, Tuesdays shall be the #unitytips days. Whether you’ve just discovered a neat editor workflow trick or have some performance optimisation rules you’ve been using for years, go ahead and share.
They don’t have to be original or extra advanced, as long as it’s something you’ve found useful.
To kick this off, here are my top ten #unitytips:
1) When first starting out with Unity, some forget that they are in Playmode. Go to ‘Preferences’, then ‘Colours’, then ‘Playmode Tint’ to make it a more memorable colour. (See below)
3) Don’t have quite the asset you are looking for in the project view? Type your search terms in the project view, then change the search from “Assets” to “Asset Store”. This will allow you to preview assets on the store without even having to open it. (See right)
4) When rotating an object, hold down Ctrl/Cmd to snap the rotation. This same method also applies to moving an object. The default snap values can be altered in the Edit menu under Snap Settings.
5) Here’s another Snapping trick: by holding down the V key, you can select and place objects using vertex snapping. This can be especially helpful when constructing levels out of modular geometry.
7) Found your perfect values while testing and playing in Playmode? Click the small cog-shaped icon in the top right of your component in the inspector and then click “Copy Component”. You can then paste these values directly back in when you exit Playmode.
8) Use the “Layers” button to show and hide layers. For example, you could create a custom layer for gameplay objects like spawn points and use the layers drop down to hide them.
10) Are you unhappy with the default layout of your views? Feel free to pick a different layout or entirely customise your own version and save the layout so it’s easy to come back to later.
19 КомментарииПодписаться на комментарии