Unity supports the World Health Organization’s #PlayApartTogether campaign
We are in a truly unique and challenging time, one where coronavirus (COVID-19) is impacting every citizen, country, and culture worldwide. We’re learning from governments that the most important tool we have to help reduce the global death toll from COVID-19 is physical distancing. From California and Copenhagen to Munich, Mumbai and more, state officials are asking residents to stay home for the greater good of our friends, our family, and our global society at large.
At this moment in history, game creators – and the games YOU made – have a unique opportunity to make a big difference. We have an ability for our products and networks to support the initiative to stay inside.
That’s why we’re excited to get behind #PlayApartTogether: a World Health Organization (WHO) initiative designed to create awareness and incentivize people to stay inside their homes by playing – and creating – games.
Games bring people together. They provide a sense of connection, a bit of distraction, happiness and yes, relief.
It’s great to join our industry in the larger #PlayApartTogether initiative. An example of what some of our industry friends are doing:
- Riot Games will be talking about #PlayApartTogether in esports broadcasting all weekend long
- Zynga is encouraging its CSR2 community to race a total of 250M races in the next 14 days to unlock a free BMW Z04. They’ll also be allowing players to play more for free in Dawn of Titans
- Pocket Gems is adding new content and bonuses into Episode and War Dragons
- Dirtybit is giving players extra rewards for completed quests in Fun Run 3
You can help make a difference!
We encourage all of you – the amazing community of Unity game developers worldwide – to get involved. Activate your games and encourage your players to #PlayApartTogether.
Together as a collective force, we can make an impact in keeping people home, playing games, and having fun in the process.
How we want to help game makers
We also want to help, which is why we’ve launched two initiatives for people who are interested in learning how to make games:
- Three months of Unity Learn Premium for free: We’re providing three months of complimentary access to Unity Learn Premium so you have access to resources that can help you bring your ideas to life. Just log in to access live sessions with Unity experts; and more than 350 hours of bite-sized tutorials, hands-on projects, and in-depth courses – for game developers and any creator that can benefit from the power of real-time technology.
- Create with Code Live virtual classes. Join Create with Code Live, a daily, 7-week virtual class taught by Unity experts for students, educators, and anyone who wants to learn how to code. Class began on Monday, March 23, but this week’s sessions are available on-demand, and all sessions will be recorded for those who are unable to attend live.
There’s no shortage of great Unity content to play!
And for those looking to PLAY games, look no further. We have a ton of great current and future games made with Unity for every player – like Disco Elysium and Untitled Goose Game to Call of Duty: Mobile, Angry Birds 2, and more.
We encourage you to join Unity in the push to #PlayApartTogether. So (virtually) grab some friends – create and play games, and have fun doing your part using physical distancing as a means to flatten the curve. You can visit the official Medium page here.
Be well. Stay healthy. And wash your hands!