Search Unity

3_coming_real_soon

Hey guys and gals.

Super-happy news here from Unity HQ: Unity 3 is nearly ready – the beta testers and preview customers got their hands on the RC1 build a few days ago. This means we’re wrapping up this cycle and shipping soon.

It also means that our pre-order rebate is about to expire, so now is your last chance to pick up Unity 3 at the discounted price. Head over to the Unity 3 page to see more about it, or go straight to the store to buy your copy today!

I can’t wait to finally get this out there – it’s been a tremendous release. A few random stats: over 40 man-years of effort went into Unity 3, and over 100,000 hours of beta testing activity has taken place. Thanks to all of you who helped us out!

Happy coding :)

39 Comments

1. Michael brockwell

September 23, 2010 at 11:38 am

David told me on Facebook it should be out within a week.

2. @Aras Pranckevičius

Thanks Aras.

3. @ethan
    Thanks!
    You got me convinced :)
    I’m buying basic version right now, hopefully I’ll get more money soon so I can go for the pro version.

4. Aras Pranckevičius

September 22, 2010 at 7:24 am

@Manon: Umbra Occlusion Culling blog post out right now!

5. @tino – if you buy “right now” you will of course get a free upgrade to Unity iPhone 3.0. In fact you’ll get them both the same day as all pre-order customers receive access to the pre-release of Unity 3. The main point of this blog post was to announce that the pre-order discounts are going to end very soon.

6. I hope they release it real soon,and if they don’t then I hope that they include it as a demo scene in the Unity 3.0 release.

7. Wasn’t the Umbra Occlusion demo supposed to be released soon ?

8. I’m so looking forward to this.

Main hope: the physics upgrade doing swept collision fixes my main problem with physics in the past: large delta steps moving through walls/over objects. That was a lot of work to fix, but now it should behave as expected (I hope!).

9. I just have one question, if i buy unity iPhone 1.7 now I shouldn’t have any problems upgrading to unity iPhone 3.0?
    That is will I have to pay anything for upgrade ?
    cheers.

10. Consequences will never be the same…

11. Can wait till I get my hands on it…..

12. The only thing better then Unity 3.0 will be Unity 3.1

13. @Michael

Thanks. 2d rocks =)

14. @Adriaan.

Hahahahahaaa !
    That’s very funny,especially the ‘The Circle of Moan’ part.

15. Haha I like how some people think the release of Unity 3 is their God given right – and would probably protest for an immediate release if possible. Sad part is, the moment it releases it shifts from “release it already” to “why didn’t you include this or that or this”… and before you know it, the demand for Unity 3.x begins.

And so the ‘The Circle of Moan’ continues… :P

16. Aras Pranckevičius

September 21, 2010 at 11:33 am

@Maxim, @Nathali: oh come on. We’re working our arses off trying to ship this thing; chasing the last shipstopper bugs. If I’d know which bug will the “definitely the last shipstopper”, or how long will it take to fix, I’d know the release date exactly. I think we’re on the last of those bugs, hence “it should be out soon”. Is that this hour? Tomorrow? Next week? That much I don’t know.

17. Nathali Abbortini

September 21, 2010 at 10:16 am

@Maxim.

Yes,I agree.
    I think they will keep stretching time just to keep people happy.

18. Michael brockwell

September 21, 2010 at 10:13 am

@Arthur – this might help – http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=64827

19. Congratulations guys. Unity 3 will rock.

Just to know… Could we see a 2d framework in Unity “soon”?

Keep the good work! =D

20. Real soon… no comment – and the next blog entry is than real real soon …

21. Nathali Abbortini

September 21, 2010 at 2:58 am

It is very strange that the title of this blog is:
    “Unity 3 Release Real Soon Now.”

Because in the last message that I got from Unity through e-mail(which was like 3 days ago),it clearly stated that Unity 3D 3.0 is going to be released in a “couple of weeks ?!”
    But a couple of weeks can also mean 2 months etc,etc,…,right ?

So the title of this blog is very misleading when they write: “Real Soon.”

22. @NWMOHAN: Consider this due warning that It’s about to end, so you don’t want to wait any further :)

23. Congrats!
    And I assume you will announce the pre-order expiry date, please confirm

24. Congratulations Unity!

25. This changes everything. Again. Again.

26. great work! will be interesting to try out!

27. Is there a list of whats new in unity3 for iPhone? Also a comparison between pro and standard?

28. … and the news for those of us who bought the iPhone version is……?

(Congratulations on the impending release, BTW… :-)

29. @Jozsef: I’d suggest a “buy it ASAP” plan at this point. :)

@Andrew: of course, we are definitely going to continue offering both Unity [free] and Unity Pro!

30. Andrew Wooldridge

September 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Will there be a new version of the free mode of Unity as well?

31. Michael brockwell

September 20, 2010 at 12:03 pm

This is Uber-Awesome news guys

Quite coincidentally, I am playing a christmas tune right now.

Now to play the songs more. you made my early xmas this year :)

32. Jozsef Trencsenyi

September 20, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Wait! Wait! We would like to buy it at Friday! Do not release it sooner! :)

33. I suppose this means Blender IPO animations won’t be supported then? * sigh * I spent a week trying NOT to do bone animations on a conveyor belt, but ended up doing them to make it work. An IPO animation of a conveyor belt can be done in 10 minutes.

No complaints really, though. This tool is amazing. I have learned sooooo much.

34. @mindlube; Yeah, I had sent the e-mail to sales about this time yesterday. I figure they are in a backlog from the weekend. All in due time I suppose. :)

35. Unity3 is amazing; anyone on the fence about pre-ordering, don’t delay!

@Lance; you should email sales if you pre-ordered haven’t got the Beta/release candidate download link in email.

36. That’s great news! I’ve been waiting for a beta invitation but it seems I may not have to wait long for the actual release. :D

37. Rock’n’Roll man! :-)